The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Hows this for a RUMOR, the price of BEER&PARKING might go down next year!! :blink:

Sorry Topshelf,,,this was just wishful thinking!!!lol

We need to sign Todd White and trade Wallin for Pitkanen. I'd also be in favor of keeping Anson Carter(although that will not happen). I'd also like to give Bobby Hughes a crack at making the team and getting in some valuable time. Then we could roll out this beauty of a team:

Stillman - Brind'Amour - Williams Amazing line that will be tough on D and pour in a ton of goals

Whitney - Staal - Cole Another amazing line that will score in bunches when they get hot

Ladd- White - Walker A perfect mix of new NHL hockey. Ladd can develop with the leadership of Walker and White and I could easily see White put up 25 goals on this line

Adams - LaRose - Carter A grinder line which can also score some goals. Larose can be a player and Hughes/Sutter could see some time in the next year or two and replace Adams and Carter down the road

Pitkanen- Commodore Great scorer in Pit and a sound defensive player in Commy

Kaberle- Wesley Another scorer/stay at home combo

Gleason- Hutchinson I really like Hutch and see him as a future power play QB for the team. Every time he plays he does well, he just needs a chance

Seidenberg- Hedican I would dump Hedican, but I don't see that coming

Ward- Grahme Solid duo

One itsy bitsy problem....Carter is not a 4th line player. And he will want too much money, I'd rather keep Letwoski's 800K than keep Carter.

Wonder where Carter will go. Haven't heard much interest in him around the league.

Hows this for a RUMOR, the price of BEER&PARKING might go down next year!! :blink:

Now there's a rumor that caught my attention:D . Be nice if you got a free beer with every parking pass...I think we're onto something DJ ;) .

Now there's a rumor that caught my attention:D . Be nice if you got a free beer with every parking pass...I think we're onto something DJ ;) .

I'm with all the O'neill haters. The guy has all the talent in the world but has the worst work ethic I beleive I have EVER seen in a hockey player. Besides that, he has no class at all so good ridence to him.

On another note, the N&O reports the deal for Pitkanen and the canes involves Wallin. I don;t know about the rest of you but I'm thinking that trade does not really do a lot to improve us, maybe gives a better puck moving D, but what else?

Are you KIDDING ME!!?!?!

Seriously, this Pitkanen kid could very seriously grow to be a staple on our defense for MANY years to come but you people are all pussyfootin around it because we have to give up Wallin!?!?! I mean no offense to Wallin, he's a great guy, but if we're seriously sitting back and saying our defense can't afford to lose a guy like Wallin, then we're beyond screwed.

Wallin is a guy that will never be a 1st line d-man. He will come in every once and a while and will play quality minutes and he'll score a goal here and there. Basically ALL he has ever done for us was to score 3 overtime goals in the playoffs. Thats ALL he is known for here. I mean, I like the guy, but lets be honest, I'd MUCH rather have a true 1st line d-man who will give us many quality minutes and score many many goals for us in the future than someone who sits on the bench for a vast majority of every game.

Look, Pitkanen is the type of player that would all but thrive in our system. He plays a lot like Ozolinsh, but he doesn't do the stupid crap that guy did. He knows when to stay in the zone, he can move the puck up the ice extremely effectively (half the reason he sucked in Philly last year was because they quite literally were too slow for his style of play) and he will score many goals for us. There is nothing to not like about this guy, and I can't believe some people are hesitant about the trade because we'd give up Wallin. Pitkanen for Wallin straight up is flat out highway robbery for the Carolina Hurricanes, and if JR pulls this off, he will have mauled the Flyers franchise once again in a deal.

Thank you!!! you just summed up why I think alot of people don't like this trade. listen to your own words "he plays alot like Ozolinsh"... and you wonder why people are kinda jittery about this?? Don't get me wrong, I'd love nothing more than to have him, but imo no offensive defenseman will ever be worth Wallin... think this is posturing to get another deal. look at it this way... if all of your defensive pairings are an offensive guy with a defensive guy you don't have a "shut down" pairing... Gleason and Wallin were working on becoming that...why break 'em up?

No offensive defenseman will ever be worth Wallin? Do you realize how crazy that is?

Ozolinsh had his own personal problems that affected his play.

as I've said before... I don't like "offensive defensemen" it seems to me that it's a misnomer for "guy who's constantly out of position and really wants to play wing but can't"

I have no problem with a guy who can QB on the powerplay, and make smart plays in the offensive zone(key word here - smart), but for a defenseman D should always come first.

No offensive defenseman will ever be worth Wallin? Do you realize how crazy that is?

Ozolinsh had his own personal problems that affected his play.

as I've said before... I don't like "offensive defensemen" it seems to me that it's a misnomer for "guy who's constantly out of position and really wants to play wing but can't"

I have no problem with a guy who can QB on the powerplay, and make smart plays in the offensive zone(key word here - smart), but for a defenseman D should always come first.

You might not like offensive-defenseman, but that's what Lavi's system calls for. I'm not saying the whole defense will be offensive, but to let Lavi use his style of play we need an offensive-defenseman or two.

Wallin isn't going anywhere. He wants to stay here. The Canes' best bet at a puck moving D-man will be through UFA's. Same thing with a 3rd line centre.

We need to sign Todd White and trade Wallin for Pitkanen. I'd also be in favor of keeping Anson Carter(although that will not happen). I'd also like to give Bobby Hughes a crack at making the team and getting in some valuable time. Then we could roll out this beauty of a team:

Stillman - Brind'Amour - Williams Amazing line that will be tough on D and pour in a ton of goals

Whitney - Staal - Cole Another amazing line that will score in bunches when they get hot

Ladd- White - Walker A perfect mix of new NHL hockey. Ladd can develop with the leadership of Walker and White and I could easily see White put up 25 goals on this line

Adams - LaRose - Carter A grinder line which can also score some goals. Larose can be a player and Hughes/Sutter could see some time in the next year or two and replace Adams and Carter down the road

Gleason- Hutchinson I really like Hutch and see him as a future power play QB for the team. Every time he plays he does well, he just needs a chance

Ward- Grahme Solid duo

What are you on? Taking Whitney off of Brindy's line would be one of the dumbest moves Lavi's made. And why would you keep Carter? He just sucked last year. And you would dump Hedican or put him in the same pair as Seidenburg? Or put Hutch with Gleason?

Commodore Wesley

Gleason Wallin

Hedican Kaberle

Hutchinson as 7th D

And I would rather have Tanabe playing than Seidenburg.

I agree as well with the current Brindy line. Brindy, Williams and Whitney had good chemistry it seemed last year. But I would like to give Hughes a chance (and maybe even some of the other prospects we signed during the off season if we can, IF we can). I also like LaRose trying out center for the fourth line. Adams-LaRose-Letowski.

Ward- Grahme Solid duo

Interesting...

I like the overall look of the team.

I don't think white is anything special though, plus he's brittle, but he's ok....i just wouldn't overpay for him.....maybe in the $1 mil range but no more.

I think it would be great to get pitkanen and only give up wallin (either way i think our D is ok)

Could Bobby Hughes crack the team....that would be great (and cheap allowing more roster flexibility)....plus throw him right in and let him centre a 3rd line, but you'd have to give him veteran wingers (stillman or whitney) and then maybe play ladd with brind'amour?

I see no real upside to bringing anson carter back.

That would give us 9 fairly decent forwards (top 3 lines) and pretty ok defence (oh, it would be great to unload hedican and his salary).

Ward is great in net. I'd be ok moving grahame and his salary and signing a cheaper guy maybe a sanford or bacashuia type player or just let justin peters be the back up (though he might be better off playing more in the ahl for now?)

Only other thing i'd love to see the team try would be to put out very very generous qualifying offers to restricted free agents derek plante and thomas vanek. I'd happily give up some future draft picks for those guys. Then I'd try to deal either williams or cole for replacement draft picks to make room for them space and cap wise. this would probably mean that hughes would have to start off in the minors, but he'd be a nice kid to have available as a top 9 forward injury replacement.

Interesting...

I don't think white is anything special though, plus he's brittle, but he's ok....i just wouldn't overpay for him.....maybe in the $1 mil range but no more.

I think it would be great to get pitkanen and only give up wallin (either way i think our D is ok)

Could Bobby Hughes crack the team....that would be great (and cheap allowing more roster flexibility)....plus throw him right in and let him centre a 3rd line, but you'd have to give him veteran wingers (stillman or whitney) and then maybe play ladd with brind'amour?

That would give us 9 fairly decent forwards (top 3 lines) and pretty ok defence (oh, it would be great to unload hedican and his salary).

Ward is great in net. I'd be ok moving grahame and his salary and signing a cheaper guy maybe a sanford or bacashuia type player or just let justin peters be the back up (though he might be better off playing more in the ahl for now?)

Only other thing i'd love to see the team try would be to put out very very generous qualifying offers to restricted free agents derek plante and thomas vanek. I'd happily give up some future draft picks for those guys. Then I'd try to deal either williams or cole for replacement draft picks to make room for them space and cap wise. this would probably mean that hughes would have to start off in the minors, but he'd be a nice kid to have available as a top 9 forward injury replacement.

You want Peters to back up Cam? Peters is in no way shape or form ready for NHL duty. Hence the signing of Michael Leighton in case Cam or Johnny get injured he would be the one called up.

In order to get Vanek you'll have to offer about $4 million, and No I wouldn't give him $4 million now. I'd rather pay Williams $3.5 million or Cole's $4 million.

You want Peters to back up Cam? Peters is in no way shape or form ready for NHL duty. Hence the signing of Michael Leighton in case Cam or Johnny get injured he would be the one called up.

In order to get Vanek you'll have to offer about $4 million, and No I wouldn't give him $4 million now. I'd rather pay Williams $3.5 million or Cole's $4 million.

Agreed on both counts. Tripp Tracy is slightly ahead of Peters on the NHL-ready depth chart. :D It's hard not to like Vanek's scoring ability but he is Exhibit A of a misleading state with his gaudy +/- number.

I'm not sure he knows what a backcheck is and in a forecheck-oriented system like the Canes play he's not going to contribute much there. He shies away from contact and rarely will take the body. Great goal numbers but it remains to be seen if he will be the complete player that would command the kind of money it would take to get him out of Buffalo.

"Then I'd try to deal either williams or cole for replacement draft picks" Williams or Cole for draft picks?????!!!!!!!

Insane!!!!! Two core guys the team worked hard to lock up for relatively long term deals. Right.

Dont know if its on here but i just heard on sportsnet .ca that the Flyers want to trad Pitkanen for Wallin pending Wallin waives his no trade clause.

Thoughts.

Dont know if its on here but i just heard on sportsnet .ca that the Flyers want to trad Pitkanen for Wallin pending Wallin waives his no trade clause.

Thoughts.

They just took their information from what the N&O has been reporting.

Interesting...

Oh yes, forgot about leighton. He'd be an adequate backup to cam. I don't think leighton has ever played on an ok team to show what that he can be average or even slightly better. so yes, i think peters would be much better served in the ahl for another year.

ooops, i called derek roy derek plante. It isn't that I don't like williams or cole, but i think vanek and roy would be more than a slight upgrade.....and to deal cole and williams to replace the future picks lost from signing roy and vanek as RFA's. And this is just me wishing out loud.

Thoughts.

They just took their information from what the N&O has been reporting.

Eklund states it is not gonna happen, never was.

Looks more and more like Todd White will be wearing the sightless eye this season. Florida just re-signed Jozef Stumpel to a 2 year, $4.5 million deal. That might up the salary demands of White but I think he can be had for $2 million.