The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Looks more and more like Todd White will be wearing the sightless eye this season. Florida just re-signed Jozef Stumpel to a 2 year, $4.5 million deal. That might up the salary demands of White but I think he can be had for $2 million.
Dang...that's in the ballpark of what we could have afforded. Not sure if Stumpel wanted to come here, but like his size and his versatility to play wing if needed. White is short and a "soft" hitter...but probably plays the defensive side of the ice better than Jozef. He'd be an adequate addition.

White is a much better defensive player and he goes a lot harder every time he's out on the ice. Stumpel has been happy in Florida so it's no surprise he re-signed.

He can absolutely fly. He's known for his good skating, strong work ethic and versatility as both a player who is sound defensively as well as being about to contribute offensively. He put up 44 points last year on a very defense-oriented team in the Wild. Could easily pot 20 goals for us, maybe even 25. You won't see him playing the point but he could see some powerplay time.

He can absolutely fly. He's known for his good skating, strong work ethic and versatility as both a player who is sound defensively as well as being about to contribute offensively. He put up 44 points last year on a very defense-oriented team in the Wild. Could easily pot 20 goals for us, maybe even 25. You won't see him playing the point but he could see some powerplay time.
I agree...he's a guy, perhaps surprisingly so (because you'd think he be more of a PK guy) that got a decent amount of PP time with the Wild. He scored 6 PP goals last year...the same as Whitney, for example. And has 11 over the past 2 seasons (and 1 shorty too!).

Oh, and if you want to see White's speed and desire take a look at this video of a http://www.nhl.com/video/app?component=%24NHLDirectLink_4&page=PlayerHighlights&service=direct&sp=S%2F20062007%2F02%2F1017%2FIH_NHL_2006_R_1017_MIN%40BUF_700k_0011_BUF1222949_goal.wmv&sp=8466392&sp=1' target="_blank">goal[/post]. Doesn't hurt that it's against Buffalo too! :lol:

Me want White. :lol:

Oh, and if you want to see White's speed and desire take a look at this video of a goal. Doesn't hurt that it's against Buffalo too! :lol:

Hopefully Cole is running up his text message bills these days trying to convince White to come to Raleigh.

Oh, and if you want to see White's speed and desire take a look at this video of a goal. Doesn't hurt that it's against Buffalo too! :lol:

Me want White too. I've been lobbying for White for a couple weeks now. He is exactly the guy for this team. If we get him, I honestly think we will be saying that JR found the guy to replace Cullen. I could definetly see him on a line with Walker and Ladd. We would once again have 3 lines that are a serious threat.

I just don't want to get my hopes up too much that were gonna land him, cause if we don't, I will be very disappointed.

Jason Allison wants back in the NHL. We were rumored to be interested in him last year, but that seemed to have little truth to it. He's not a good skater, which makes him a hard fit in our system.

Last resort maybe?

Jason Allison wants back in the NHL. We were rumored to be interested in him last year, but that seemed to have little truth to it. He's not a good skater, which makes him a hard fit in our system.

Last resort maybe?

Nope, he has dissed us twice. No thanks!! Would rather have JoVa back instead.

Looks like one panther fan has White already signed with Florida.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858

The Florida fans pretty much have White locked b/c he played with Jacques Martin in Ottawa. I'm just hoping JR offers him more than what Florida is. Sounds like Florida is set to offer $2 mil, we can atleast go $2.5, just how much will that $500K make a difference for White.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858''>http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858' target="_blank">http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858[/post]

The Florida fans pretty much have White locked b/c he played with Jacques Martin in Ottawa. I'm just hoping JR offers him more than what Florida is. Sounds like Florida is set to offer $2 mil, we can atleast go $2.5, just how much will that $500K make a difference for White.

Florida has fans?

Well, if they're correct, that sucks. That goal on Buffalo makes me want him a lot.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858''>http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858' target="_blank">http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=394858[/post]

Well word is that they are close to re-signing Gelinas so there goes another forward slot, although it will certainly be on the 3rd line.

If they can just call Viktor Kozlov before Todd White and get him on the hook, then their top 3 center slots are filled too.

I'd rather have Brett McClean than Todd White. White had more points, but he was basically a second line center in Minnesota while McClean was actually a third liner in Colorado.

McClean

78GP - 15G, 20A, 35PTS

13:37 ATOI, 1:06 PP, 0:48 SH

White

77GP - 11G, 33A, 44PTS

17:13 ATOI, 2:27 PP, 2:35 SH

JR wanting 50 points from the third-line center is unrealistic IMO. Sure, Cullen had 49, but he was getting 4:46 of PP time a game due to playing the point (and spent quite a bit of time as a winger in the Top 6).

As I've seen someone else mention before, what about Bryan Smolinski?

GP 82 G 18 A 26 TP 44... how much would he cost ? Just another alternative to White, Allison, and whatnot.

I'd rather have Brett McClean than Todd White. White had more points, but he was basically a second line center in Minnesota while McClean was actually a third liner in Colorado.

McClean

78GP - 15G, 20A, 35PTS

White

77GP - 11G, 33A, 44PTS

JR wanting 50 points from the third-line center is unrealistic IMO. Sure, Cullen had 49, but he was getting 4:46 of PP time a game due to playing the point (and spent quite a bit of time as a winger in the Top 6).

White can also play the PP. But McClean is an option as well. I never realized he was headed for free agency. I could see him on JRs list of 5. Good point out on him.

McClean

78GP - 15G, 20A, 35PTS

White

77GP - 11G, 33A, 44PTS

good point. plus, i watched a few of todd white's goals on nhl.com and noticed he was on the same line as brian rolston, which explains those 33 assists. id still love to have him, but mcclean seems like a pretty good option too. and i assume younger.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapanthers/

Look for the Panthers to make some smaller moves, like Minnesota's Todd White and New York's Viktor Kozlov and the like. Hearing White really wants to come south, problem is years and overall dollars right now. If Florida doesn't come through, Carolina could. By having two SE rivals bidding it out, White may get a little more than he previous hoped. Neither wants to see a guy they want eight times a year on the other side of the ice.

McClean

78GP - 15G, 20A, 35PTS

White

77GP - 11G, 33A, 44PTS

McClean is ok but probably a slight downgrade from White. With Colorado having Sakic, Stastny, and Arnason down the middle he didn't see much time at center even though he can play there. You are right that White played on the 2nd line and some on the 3rd but so did McClean. He played on Stastny's line often.

White is a far more complete center and gives you more on the PP and PK, even if it's second unit duty.