The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Update from Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford will be shopping for an affordable third line centre. Possibilities include Todd White and Dainius Zubrus. DeCock reports the Hurricanes have about $2.3 million to spend and a list of five players they could spend all or part of it on. They've established their cap at $44 million.

Spector's Note: Now you know why I think it's silly to believe the Hurricanes might make a pitch for Chris Drury.

Update from Spectors:

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford will be shopping for an affordable third line centre. Possibilities include Todd White and Dainius Zubrus. DeCock reports the Hurricanes have about $2.3 million to spend and a list of five players they could spend all or part of it on. They've established their cap at $44 million.

Spector's Note: Now you know why I think it's silly to believe the Hurricanes might make a pitch for Chris Drury.

What might help us with getting White is that Florida needs to sign alot of guys still, well more than 1 anyway. I think they need like 3 more forwards. So they might not be able to go as high as the Canes can, $2.5. Now the question is will the Canes go that high on a 3rd line center.

It will also depend on whether JR will be active or will he sit and wait it out. If he waits it out, White will be in Florida next season :(

Here's some interesting items from the article in the N&O:

although it wouldn't be surprising to see the Canes break their budget for Michal Handzus, now healthy after missing all but eight games this past season with a knee injury.

Not sure how I feel about Handzus.

Handzus, 30, with the Blackhawks, would be an ideal fit. But he's expected to get at least $4 million per season. At what might be more affordable prices, Todd White and Dainius Zubrus also would be possibilities.

No way we give Handzus $4 million, let alone $3 million. Looks like our targets are White and Zubrus, I'd be happy with either.

But the Hurricanes may step away from the initial frenzy, wait for the dust to settle. That was their strategy in 2005's post-lockout mess, with mixed but ultimately positive results. They landed Cory Stillman and Ray Whitney at bargain prices but were stuck with Oleg Tverdovsky when they missed out on other defensemen.

"It will depend on what the market is," Rutherford said. "If a player we like falls into what we have budgeted for them, we won't wait. After the first two or three hours, we'll have an idea of whether something will happen right away or if it'll take 10 to 14 days."

I don't think JR can afford to wait on filling the center position. The good ones won't be available in 10-14 days. If he waits then I think we'll be stuck with the likes of Bonk or Big Jo and we will be right back where we started.

Full article here:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/622958.html

what if JR just shocked the world and signed drury. says our budget is at $44m then throws at $6.5m over 6 deal at him.

but in reality, i like either zubrus, v.kozlov, or white

Scratch Todd White off the list.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8335''>http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8335' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8335[/post]

Atlanta, for $9.5M for 4 years.

Dang...I thought that was in our price range? I really was hoping we'd get him. And to Atlanta...that's a surprise...thought Carolina and Florida were the finalists for him.

Atlanta's center depth sucks, so White will probably be playing with Hossa or Kovalchuk, That's probably what sold him on the Thrashers.

come oooon dainus zubrus. and remember how our budget number had a footnote of "unless there's a key free agent". theres been almost no noise on nylander, what about him?

come oooon dainus zubrus. and remember how our budget number had a footnote of "unless there's a key free agent". theres been almost no noise on nylander, what about him?

There hasn't been much talk of Nylander because it's been pretty clear for some time now that he will re-sign with the rangers.

From thefourthperiod.com

4:30pm - The Hurricanes have some interest in Brad Stuart, as do the Kings (who are also pushing for Souray)..... Ducks GM Brian Burke said in a statement that he spoke with Scott Niedermayer and he's leaning towards retirement. The Ducks are covering their bases, which is why they signed Schneider. If Niedermayer returns, that's one heck of a defensive core in Anaheim..... Ryan Smyth has several offers on the table that his agent is reviewing.

Don't know how much weight this site carries.

Since a lot of the Pitkanen coming to the Cane's speculation was in this thread, I thought I'd post TSN reports: "Jason Smith and forward Joffrey Lupul to the Philadelpia Flyers for defenceman Joni Pitkanen, forward Geoff Sanderson and a third-round draft pick in 2009."

Now, if we believe some of the earlier rumors, Edmonton moves Pitkanen to the Cane's in return for Erik Cole. But, let us hope not!

Losing probably our best power forward for Joni would be a big mistake, don't move Cole

I agree that joni for cole would be a huge mistake. If it does happen, we better get a prospect (maybe a schremp) and at least 1 future first round draft pick too. Plus make them take hedican and grahame (and their salaries) off our books. If we got all that and then used the excess money for another forward, then i'd be happy.

Losing probably our best power forward for Joni would be a big mistake, don't move Cole

I agree that joni for cole would be a huge mistake. If it does happen, we better get a prospect (maybe a schremp) and at least 1 future first round draft pick too. Plus make them take hedican and grahame (and their salaries) off our books. If we got all that and then used the excess money for another forward, then i'd be happy.

Dream on. I understand people like Cole but that's WAY too much for him!

It was a big day on Sunday for Free Agency. I wonder who will be signed today and if the 'Canes will pick up anybody else?

It was a big day on Sunday for Free Agency. I wonder who will be signed today and if the 'Canes will pick up anybody else?

What about Derek Roy? He has some good numbers and would look good on our 3rd line. But I still say we need harder hitting D-men.

Had a dream that a deal involved Edmonton, Carolina and possibly 8 million or 28 million. I think Cole was traded, and I can't remember who we got in return. I checked on here to make sure we hadn't traded anybody and sign them. :D *whew*