The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Caniac97 ive been following this team longer than you probably even new what hockey was,and all I was saying is that this team has no D-fence and it takes d-fence to WIN,I never said these players wouldnt be ready for the season I just dont think our d-fence can get it done.We sign Wesley for what the guy gets beat to the puck every time, ya I know hes alright on the PK but come on man we need d-fence.By the way what made you say I dont know the team?

Well given that I turned 51 last month, I should be able to assume that you read the sports section of the paper and know that JR is in the process of shaking up our D. We will not go into the fall with our current D intact. You need to give the guy some time to operate. Our D was banged up last year but that is the price you willing pay to win it all. What makes me say that you don't know the team is because you don't come across like you realize why things went the way they did last season and have no confidence in our "well rested" team being able to compete again. Btw, I think their are only two people on this forum that are older than me and three the same age. I don't think you are in that group "youngster"!! LOL

Jagr has righteous anger right now. They take his right hand man and completely throw the idea of "team chemistry" out the window. If it ain't broke...why couldn't they just resign nylander, sign drury for 2nd line with shanny, and then the caps grab gomez, but they lucked out since nylander is much better than gomez.

I wouldn't say Nylander's much better than Gomez. Gomez would've certainly put up more points than Nylander if he'd have been playing out of New Jersey's defensive system and by a player of Jagr's caliber. Nylander's good, but you know his numbers were boosted by playing center for you-know-who.

Caniac97 ive been following this team longer than you probably even new what hockey was,and all I was saying is that this team has no D-fence and it takes d-fence to WIN,I never said these players wouldnt be ready for the season I just dont think our d-fence can get it done.We sign Wesley for what the guy gets beat to the puck every time, ya I know hes alright on the PK but come on man we need d-fence.By the way what made you say I dont know the team?

I'm confused...

2005-06 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Ward

Kaberle

Wallin

Hutchinson

Babchuk

Current 2006-07 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Kaberle

Wallin

Gleason

Hutchinson

Seidenberg

Hmmm, looks about the same to me.

Jagr has righteous anger right now. They take his right hand man and completely throw the idea of "team chemistry" out the window. If it ain't broke...why couldn't they just resign nylander, sign drury for 2nd line with shanny, and then the caps grab gomez, but they lucked out since nylander is much better than gomez.

I wouldn't say Nylander's much better than Gomez. Gomez would've certainly put up more points than Nylander if he'd have been playing out of New Jersey's defensive system and by a player of Jagr's caliber. Nylander's good, but you know his numbers were boosted by playing center for you-know-who.

nylander ONLY had jagr to pass to who only scored about 30 goals...he was doing something right. Nylander's shot is also far superior to gomez's but he doesn't unleash it much except last year's playoffs--8 or 9 goals I think?

On the other hand, gomez had gionta and elias, TWO great goal scorers. He picks up a modest 40 some assists, and WHOA THIRTEEN GOALS!!!

2005-06 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Ward

Kaberle

Wallin

Hutchinson

Babchuk

Current 2006-07 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Kaberle

Wallin

Gleason

Hutchinson

Seidenberg

Looks the same to you.I dont know what your lookin at and the guys that are the same need to retire.Oh ya you forgot Tanabe

Looks the same to you.I dont know what your lookin at and the guys that are the same need to retire.Oh ya you forgot Tanabe

So, since the guys that are the same are almost the entire defensive team, you want them all to retire? :blink:

You know, you keep saying things like that, and someone's gonna take away your speaking privileges :P

I just heard rumour on the fan 590 out of Toronto....that JR offered Yashin 1 year 2.5 million....I hope that this is wrong....the guy in my opinion is a cancer in the dressing room and we should not be looking at a guy like this.
That rumor seems to be out there elsewher too...I just don't understand what we'd do with him if we signed him...

I meant Wesley and Hedican.CHILL!!!!!!!You guys really think our D is good?

Healthy, yes!! or at least as good as any other team.

I'd rate our defense around 20th in the league. Evidence: Cam ward's meltdown last year from lack of help. If ya want to settle for that, that's cool with me.

statements like the above maybe? Wesley is known throughout the league as one of the best positional defensemen - by the PLAYERS... not the fastest guy on the ice but probably one of the smartest... also might help if you learned to spell "defense" too

2005-06 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Ward

Kaberle

Wallin

Hutchinson

Babchuk

Current 2006-07 Defense

Hedican

Wesley

Commodore

Kaberle

Wallin

Gleason

Hutchinson

Seidenberg

So Hutchinson, Commodore, Wallin, and Kaberle need to retire?

And Tanabe wasn't on the cup winning team. He was on the 2006-07 team. And he's not on the current team, 2007-08 either.

I meant Wesley and Hedican.CHILL!!!!!!!You guys really think our D is good?

I totally agree that it would be addition by subtraction if we found ways to move/retire these two (wesley and hedican), as both seem vastely over rated and quasi liabilities on the ice. I think the rest of our D group would be fine without these two (as it doesn't seem like there are many names on d left out there to acquire via free agency).

I just heard rumour on the fan 590 out of Toronto....that JR offered Yashin 1 year 2.5 million....I hope that this is wrong....the guy in my opinion is a cancer in the dressing room and we should not be looking at a guy like this.

I agree. Especially since he was part of the "we want Lavi off the Island" group.

OK, call me crazy but...what about TEPPO NUMMINEN? He is old but he was a +/- Plus 17 with 27 assists last year. We could probably pick him up cheap for a year.

OK, call me crazy but...what about TEPPO NUMMINEN? He is old but he was a +/- Plus 17 with 27 assists last year. We could probably pick him up cheap for a year.

The +/- and points are inflated because he played on the top offensive team in the league. He's not really a top-tier defenseman, which is what we're looking for, so I'd say "pass."

The +/- and points are inflated because he played on the top offensive team in the league. He's not really a top-tier defenseman, which is what we're looking for, so I'd say "pass."

Insane, but yashin would be a bargain at 2.5 million. That would put hamilton on a 4th line to develop and slip in anywhere on the top 3 in case of injury. I think yashin could be good, as long as he'd only be there to supplement our top 2 lines of staal and brindy, and not be our go-to guy.

Yah, teppo isn't bad, but he ain't much better if any than any of our current flock of D. His numbers last year were definately a product of a superior buffalo team. I wouldn't mind putting in a qualifying offer on nathan paetsch of buffalo though, he seems like a gritty young player with some offensive flair...and even if we didn't get him for say 1 to 1.5 million, then we'd be forcing buff to pay him more than they wanted to. And I've harped on this before too.....I'd love to see us put in a 4.5-5.5 million offer in for vanek and/or a 3.5-4.0 million offer for derek roy.

We'd have to give up some serious picks to Buffalo with those offers, and that wouldn't be the best thing to do considering our prospects aren't the best.

I'm sure JR could do some wheeling dealing at the end of the year and trade some of our current guys to get picks to compensate for the picks we'd lose by signing those guys.

For the kind of money mentioned, we'd need to get a few 1st/2nd round picks back to make up for it. Not saying it couldn't happen, but we'd have to trade some established players for it, not the extra D-men that are usually mentioned as trade bait for picks.

We'd have to give up some serious picks to Buffalo with those offers, and that wouldn't be the best thing to do considering our prospects aren't the best.

I'm sure JR could do some wheeling dealing at the end of the year and trade some of our current guys to get picks to compensate for the picks we'd lose by signing those guys.

and just who would you trade?? Staal?? Brindy?? Williams?? Whitney?? what we have that we would trade no one wants!! not a good idea.

Well... the thing is, he would be nowhere near a leader on this team if he came in. Brindy and Co. would slap the crap out of him if he acted up and started pouting, and at 2.5mil, he would be a bit of a bargain. He has the ability to score a lot of goals, and I wouldn't mind seeing him on the 3rd line here, that would give us 3 very solid scoring lines that we'd be putting out there.

However, the guy has such an ego, I HIGHLY doubt he'd sign with us to get 3rd line duties...