The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Ya know, I got a call from my grandparents in Raleigh who heard we are trading Justin Williams?

I don't think thats true, the person who told them must be waayyyy misinformed. :mellow:

Please tell me this person is crazy..?

Ya know, I got a call from my grandparents in Raleigh who heard we are trading Justin Williams?

I don't think thats true, the person who told them must be waayyyy misinformed. :mellow:

How accurate is the source?? We would have to get an Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby in return.

How accurate is the source?? We would have to get an Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby in return.

I don't think there is any substance to rumors about trading Williams but you have him way over-valued if you think he could be traded for any of those three. Williams is a solid, two-way but streaky forward while the other guys are all elite talents.

Would have to say the trading Williams is a rumor. I just don't see that happening. Now if it was were trading Cole, that I can believe b/c Cole is always mentioned in trade rumors.

Would have to say the trading Williams is a rumor. I just don't see that happening. Now if it was were trading Cole, that I can believe b/c Cole is always mentioned in trade rumors.

Yes, you do still see Cole's name crop up in rumors. Between the two, Cole's contract and neck injury would make him more likely to be traded but I would trade Williams before him.

A power forward with Cole's speed and willingness to aggressively forecheck are hard to come by and he is almost a perfect fit for Lavi's system. He does need to improve his puck-handling though.

Like i said, the only way i would ever see this kind of deal going down is if we got something greater in return (the Brindy for Primeau trade).

I could handle Cole being traded but I can't see us moving Williams. Not at all.

Forgetting about contract values and durations, Cole would be tougher to replace in the context of Lavi's system. That's not to say Williams wouldn't be tough to replace but there are more Williams-type players in the league than Cole-type players.

A fast-skating power forward who creates open ice for his linemates and will forecheck anyone, anywhere is a rare commodity. Having said that, I do get frustrated with him for dogging it some nights but then again Williams had a couple of stretches where he went through the motions last season too.

They all did. But at least when Williams isn't scoring you can still put him on the PK.

That said, if Williams was getting dealt, we could reasonably expect a Briere or Gagne calibre player in return. But seeing as how they all make more than he does, it doesn't make financial sense to deal him.

I could handle Cole being traded but I can't see us moving Williams. Not at all.

Forgetting about contract values and durations, Cole would be tougher to replace in the context of Lavi's system. That's not to say Williams wouldn't be tough to replace but there are more Williams-type players in the league than Cole-type players.

A fast-skating power forward who creates open ice for his linemates and will forecheck anyone, anywhere is a rare commodity. Having said that, I do get frustrated with him for dogging it some nights but then again Williams had a couple of stretches where he went through the motions last season too.

I probably should have explained more about why I wouldn't be overly sad to see Cole go. I love him as a player and he's a great guy but his being so injury prone scares me. If he could be dealt for guys that his name has come up in rumors with I wouldn't hesitate to take the deal. I'm referring to rumors like Cole being traded for guys like Gagne or Frolov.

They all did. But at least when Williams isn't scoring you can still put him on the PK.

That said, if Williams was getting dealt, we could reasonably expect a Briere or Gagne calibre player in return. But seeing as how they all make more than he does, it doesn't make financial sense to deal him.

Justin Williams for Briere or Gagne? That would definitely solidify Rutherford's rep as one of the best GMs in hockey if he could pull off a deal like that. ;)

I probably should have explained more about why I wouldn't be overly sad to see Cole go. I love him as a player and he's a great guy but his being so injury prone scares me. If he could be dealt for guys that his name has come up in rumors with I wouldn't hesitate to take the deal. I'm referring to rumors like Cole being traded for guys like Gagne or Frolov.

Cole's injuries are a legitimate concern, I agree. As far as Gagne or Frolov. I would possibly consider Gange, although the Flyers wouldn't do it straight up, and jump at Frovlov.

Cole's injuries are a legitimate concern, I agree. As far as Gagne or Frolov. I would possibly consider Gange, although the Flyers wouldn't do it straight up, and jump at Frovlov.

Ummm, we basically always come out on the winning end when we deal with Philly, so I like where this is going.

However, the Flyers are trying to get younger. I highly doubt they'd do a Cole for Gagne trade. Hell, I doubt they'd even deal with us, we don't have the young talent to get a player like Gagne.

However, I have also heard the Kayria rumor, which would be very interesting. Also, another thing to look for is that Buffalo is going to have to let either Drury or Briere go this offseason because of Cap limitations. We should try and jump all over whichever one gets let go. Either would be a nice pickup for us.

That being said, we really need some defensive help.

Erik Cole isn't going anywhere. Justin Williams isn't going anywhere either. I don't think JR will be trading core players anytime soon.

Erik Cole isn't going anywhere. Justin Williams isn't going anywhere either. I don't think JR will be trading core players anytime soon.

If you can trade an injury prone skilled player like Cole for another skilled guy who spends less time on the IR then it's something you give serious thought to doing. His name has come up in lots of rumours over the years.

Also, another thing to look for is that Buffalo is going to have to let either Drury or Briere go this offseason because of Cap limitations. We should try and jump all over whichever one gets let go. Either would be a nice pickup for us.

Honestly, both those guys are first line centres and we already have two of those so what would we do with a third. You're obviously aware of the cap because you mentioned that Buffalo's cap situation is why they can't retain both so I'd like to know what makes you think we can afford them. We're probably only spending up to $44 million and those guys are going to cash in. There is 0 chance of them donning the sightless eye this coming season.

Honestly, both those guys are first line centres and we already have two of those so what would we do with a third.

I dunno about you, but I need to wipe the drool off my face when I think about the possibility of having a 1st line center anchoring each of our first 3 lines. Brindy then Staal then Briere/Drury... Holy crap, thats a lineup that would cause other coaching staffs to cry when thinking of having to set lines to defend that...

That being said, strong rumors out of Buffalo have Drury about to sign with Briere being traded to Philly for the Flyers 1st rounder

Honestly, both those guys are first line centres and we already have two of those so what would we do with a third.

I dunno about you, but I need to wipe the drool off my face when I think about the possibility of having a 1st line center anchoring each of our first 3 lines. Brindy then Staal then Briere/Drury... Holy crap, thats a lineup that would cause other coaching staffs to cry when thinking of having to set lines to defend that...

That being said, strong rumors out of Buffalo have Drury about to sign with Briere being traded to Philly for the Flyers 1st rounder

There isn't a person on this forum who wouldn't like that but it defies reality. Neither of those guys is going to come here knowing they'll be playing third line minutes and more importantly WE CAN'T AFFORD THEM!

Traded? But his contract is up...

Also, there's no way any first-line center would sign on to take a third-line center's role. I think some people are still a little spoiled from having Weight as a third-liner in the Spring of '06. Not many players with his talent (or better) will do that, especially not with the attitude he had about it, which owes a lot to his humble personality and the fact that he knew we were legitimate contenders and St. Louis was embarrassing themselves... but for someone to sign a contract with a team they're not sure will go deep to play those minutes, I just don't see it happening.

I just don't see it happening.

... because it won't. (I'm agreeing with you.)

Neither Drury nor Briere would want to give up being a first/second liner to play third line center. That would involve a serious downgrade in what they would be getting paid. No player wants to do that.

Besides. I don't think they would want to come here anyway.

Paying Drury $7.5 million or Briere $6.5 million, what their expected to get in FA, to be our 3rd line center.....No Thanks.

Dreaming is nice, but reality is neither will be coming here unless we trade Staal which will NEVER happen cause he's the franchise player for this team.

And Briere won't be traded cause he's a Free Agent.

We need defencemen....how about Hannan from San Jose....solid solid 2 way dman....Kimmo Timmonen from the Hamilton.....er Nashville Predators......stud on the pp....those would be the 2 guys if I am JR I would be going after....btw....how much $$$$ do we have to spend on free agents?