The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Stuart went to the Kings for one year at only $3.5 million! How we didn't get in on this I don't know. That's an absolute steal. Maybe he didn't want to play here, though.

Stuart went to the Kings for one year at only $3.5 million! How we didn't get in on this I don't know. That's an absolute steal. Maybe he didn't want to play here, though.
His wife is from California, if that means anything.

Nah.. Jack Johnson gave us a bad rap. :lol:

Boy, isn't that the truth. Is he scheduled to play NHL this year or still going to college?

I wouldn't pay him $3.5 million, but that's just me.

Nah.. Jack Johnson gave us a bad rap. :lol:

Boy, isn't that the truth. Is he scheduled to play NHL this year or still going to college?

He made his nhl debut with them last season so he'll be there.

I wouldn't pay him $3.5 million, but that's just me.

Considering what other guys are getting it's a good deal. Especially if someone had been able to lock him up for longer than a year. This is a guy you could possibly build around if he returns to form.

NHL. He played for the Kings last year near the end of the season. And yeah, 3.5 still sounds much. I know we need 1/2 defenseman, but still.... maybe I'm just being frugal.

NHL. He played for the Kings last year near the end of the season. And yeah, 3.5 still sounds much. I know we need 1/2 defenseman, but still.... maybe I'm just being frugal.

I think people are right when they say stuart isn't worth 3.5 million. I think he's highly over-rated. Has he ever played on a good team? So, I question either his talent or character as there must be a reason behind why he's moved around so much in the last few years or so.

Before you go reading too much into why he's been on so many teams let me give you some background info on him. He was drafted by the sharks and played a couple years there. They were very happy with him. Then the oppurtunity to trade for Joe Thornton came along. You don't pass that up. To get someone that good you need to give up someone good and Stuart was part of the package that headed to Boston. There's one move down that had nothing to do with his talent (in a negative way at least) or his character. He didn't have the best two years in Boston but neither did the team. They were pretty awful. Figuring he wouldn't re-sign there they moved him to Calgary at the deadline. Again, that has nothing to do with him, it's just good business on Boston's part. He finished out the year playing pretty good for Calgary. Now the story is his wife is from California and wants him playing in the area so that's why he signed with the kings. Hope this clears things up. He's a good defenseman with plenty of potential and time to reach it. Never heard one bad thing about him character wise. $3.5 million is in no way overpaying for him especially considering the market value. I'm really surprised anyone thinks that's overpayment.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it... but I'm waiting for JR to get the blue light special for a really good player. Didn't get Stuart, who I really wanted... but I hope we can at least get that great defensive defenseman.

Not saying he doesn't deserve it... but I'm waiting for JR to get the blue light special for a really good player. Didn't get Stuart, who I really wanted... but I hope we can at least get that great defensive defenseman.

You want a defensive defenseman? Apart from Kaberle and our scratches (Hutchinson, Seidenberg) that's all we have. Our top six is comprised of 5 defensive guys and one offensive defenseman. No sense in acquiring another. What we need is a guy with offensive talent. JR has liked JM Liles for quite some time now. With the recent additions of Hannan and Smyth perhaps they may be looking to shed some salary and JR can acquire him in a trade closer to the start of the season. He will be ufa next season so they may be willing to move him. Just a possibility. He makes a very reasonable $1.4 million this coming year. His career stats are really attractive, too.

You want a defensive defenseman? Apart from Kaberle and our scratches (Hutchinson, Seidenberg) that's all we have. Our top six is comprised of 5 defensive guys and one offensive defenseman. No sense in acquiring another. What we need is a guy with offensive talent. JR has liked JM Liles for quite some time now. With the recent additions of Hannan and Smyth perhaps they may be looking to shed some salary and JR can acquire him in a trade closer to the start of the season. He will be ufa next season so they may be willing to move him. Just a possibility. He makes a very reasonable $1.4 million this coming year. His career stats are really attractive, too.

Caniac23 did say a "great" defensive defenseman...we don't have one of those. To me, if JR just can't make a deal to his liking on the D side, I wouldn't mind him looking at an upgrade to our 4th line center or wing (i.e., wherever Letowski would otherwise be playing). It would be nice to get a good role player on the fourth line that could also actually score a goal now and then. Our current 'energy line', I fear, wears their inability to hit an open net as a badge of honor!

Caniac23 did say a "great" defensive defenseman...we don't have one of those. To me, if JR just can't make a deal to his liking on the D side, I wouldn't mind him looking at an upgrade to our 4th line center or wing (i.e., wherever Letowski would otherwise be playing). It would be nice to get a good role player on the fourth line that could also actually score a goal now and then. Our current 'energy line', I fear, wears their inability to hit an open net as a badge of honor!

Kevyn Adams is still out there. Wouldn't be shocked if the front office brought him back to re-pair with Chad LaRose and Craig Adams on the fourth line.

I think Brent Sopel will become the next target. He may not be the puck mover some of the other guys are but he has good offensive instincts and plays a smart game overall.

I think Brent Sopel will become the next target. He may not be the puck mover some of the other guys are but he has good offensive instincts and plays a smart game overall.

Agreed. Sopel had 28 points last year, more than any of our defensemen. He could be a second powerplay quarterback along with Kaberle. He'd play the point with Whitney while Kaberle would play with Hamilton. No, the other way around actually.

Agreed. Sopel had 28 points last year, more than any of our defensemen. He could be a second powerplay quarterback along with Kaberle. He'd play the point with Whitney while Kaberle would play with Hamilton. No, the other way around actually.

Yes, Kaberle and Sopel would be the first and second unit PP QB's and though neither is premier, it would still be a nice upgrade. Whitney wouldn't be in that mix though because he doesn't play the point. He plays along the half-wall on the PP.

Yes, Kaberle and Sopel would be the first and second unit PP QB's and though neither is premier, it would still be a nice upgrade. Whitney wouldn't be in that mix though because he doesn't play the point. He plays along the half-wall on the PP.

oh, my mistake. would it be hamilton and staal or hamilton and Stillman

oh, my mistake. would it be hamilton and staal or hamilton and Stillman

It wouldn't be Stillman because he doesn't play the point well either. Though Staal does play the point he can struggle there and is often more effective, in my opinion, down low.

I personally like Walker on the second unit PP. As a former D-man he knows the drill there and has a good blast from the point. He's smart although not flashy there. I thought having Brindy on the point was a waste, as he needs to be down low.

One really big plus with Sopel is that he would be another right-handed shot although it is minimized a bit if Walker plays the other point on his unit. You could get the optimal off-handed pairing with Sopel and Staal on the first unit and Kaberle and Walker on the second.

From Eklund:

The Oilers have been in lockdown mode and are still frantic in their attempts to land a big name player via trade. Eric Cole, Patrick Marleau, Gken Murray and Bobby Holik are possibilities.

Geez, this one again?

From Eklund:

The Oilers have been in lockdown mode and are still frantic in their attempts to land a big name player via trade. Eric Cole, Patrick Marleau, Gken Murray and Bobby Holik are possibilities.

Geez, this one again?