The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

IMO The Oilers don't have anyone who is worth Cole. It is odd that he keeps coming up in trade rumours after JR has said that Cole has not and was not going to be shopped.

Erik Cole is always brought up in trade rumors. Unless I hear Erik Cole to some team that actually has someone we want, I don't believe it. Edmonton has no one we want except Pitkanen and I highly doubt Edmonton wants to trade him. And even if they did, they would have to give us a forward as well, like Torres or Pisani and I doubt they want to move them. Not only that, we would have to unload a defenseman with Cole, possibly Hutch and Edmonton won't want him, maybe Commodore, but I can't see JR moving Cole and Commie.

Fact is Edmonton doesn't have anyone we want.

LMAO There are some Sens fans saying they want Cole and a fair trade would be...get this

Cole for Corvo! ROFLMAO

They are funny guys up in Ottawa

LMAO There are some Sens fans saying they want Cole and a fair trade would be...get this

Cole for Corvo! ROFLMAO

They are funny guys up in Ottawa

I've been reading the messages back and forth between you, them sens fans, and the other canes fan. I was laughing. I even laughed when the one said that Corvo would be a top 4 defenseman here. What is he smoking. :lol:

I've been reading the messages back and forth between you, them sens fans, and the other canes fan. I was laughing. I even laughed when the one said that Corvo would be a top 4 defenseman here. What is he smoking. :lol:

I am not sure. Probably whatever some of the GMs are smoking that are letting all their top players become FA and not signing anyone ;)

Apparently the idea is that Vermette and Cole are on the same level. Apparently they don't understand that we don't want Corvo or Vermette if we have to lose Cole.

Uhhhh, ya they do. His name is Joni Pitkanen. This team could really use a guy like him. Course they'd need to add in a top prospect and/or a pick to even out the deal if they were getting Cole.

Eklund has yet another rumor listing Eric Cole as a possible trade to Edmonton. Who do they have that we'd want, or would be worth Cole at this point?

Maybe Torres and Pitkanen.

From Eklund:

The Oilers have been in lockdown mode and are still frantic in their attempts to land a big name player via trade. Eric Cole, Patrick Marleau, Gken Murray and Bobby Holik are possibilities.

Geez, this one again?

I still wonder what is going on, whether there is some magic trade hat somewhere that always has Cole's name in it or if Cole wants to leave.

Cole was signed to a 3 year deal when he could've easily tested the free agent market. Rutherford also gave him that deal after he was coming off his injury. I think it's pretty obvious that both Rutherford and Cole want him to stay right here.

Eklund is just covering all his bases as he basically reports everything and anything he hears. But we don't know how reliable his sources really are.

If the return was nice (Joni Pitkanen, high-end prospect), I'd do the deal. Just move Scott Walker up to the first-line with Cory Stillman and Eric Staal. Re-sign Shane Willis and have him and Craig Adams battle for the third-line right wing position.

If the return was nice (Joni Pitkanen, high-end prospect), I'd do the deal. Just move Scott Walker up to the first-line with Cory Stillman and Eric Staal. Re-sign Shane Willis and have him and Craig Adams battle for the third-line right wing position.

i love erik cole and everything but that sounds pretty good :)

Apparently Jeremy Roenick is retiring, and the Coyotes are looking to trade Jovanovski. Could play PP and be our number 1/2 defenseman. Opinions?

Edit: Took a look at TSN, and noticed he's had abdominal surgery twice, and has had some injuries.. and signed for 32.5 mil for 5 seasons (one season obviously completed)...

Cole was signed to a 3 year deal when he could've easily tested the free agent market. Rutherford also gave him that deal after he was coming off his injury. I think it's pretty obvious that both Rutherford and Cole want him to stay right here.

I dunno the way I remember it we wanted Cole on a longer contract, and Cole wanted more money and a Shorter Contract. If thats correct I remember thinking at the time, Cole was planning to be available to other teams in the future. If that is the case and we will be losing him after the 08-09 season I can totally see why JR might fish him around a bit. I sure hope he stays right here however... :unsure:

Direct Quote: Greensboro Record

"The Canes initially offered Cole a five-year deal at less than $4 million per season, but his agent, Steve Bartlett, said Cole wasn't interested in that long of a deal. The two sides compromised on a three-year deal that buys out two years of free agency."

Direct Quote: Raleigh N&O

Cole was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent after next season and would have filed for arbitration on Wednesday if he hadn't signed.

"I've got a pretty good sense of who would be a hot commodity," Bartlett said. "Erik would have been extremely sought-after."

After he turned down Carolina's initial offer, there was talk Cole wanted only a one-year deal that would allow him to test the market next summer.

Uhhhh, ya they do. His name is Joni Pitkanen. This team could really use a guy like him. Course they'd need to add in a top prospect and/or a pick to even out the deal if they were getting Cole.

Read my first sentence, I say Pitkanen is the only guy, but fact is, Cole for Pitkanen straight up just ain't gonna happen. We'll atleast need Pisani or Torres in return. Then to make it closer to being even, Commie will have to go with Cole. I just don't see JR doing this deal.

Now if its d for d, then I'd send Commie to Edmonton for Pitkanen, but not Cole.

I wouldn't want Pisani. I think he's incredibly overrated. Look at the contract that one playoff run got him. He's sure not worth it now.

I wouldn't want pisani either. Plus, I'd be really disappointed if Shane Willis and Craig Adams were battling for the third-line right wing position.

We have an ok core, but neither much depth nor prospects, so I have no idea how JR could pull much of a trade without hurting us somewhere else. But, if he can....more power to him. JR has disappointed me in the past, but I'm still a believer in him.

Go Whale!

Chad LaRose and Niklas Nordgren were our third line RWs for most of the 05-06 season. Craig Adams was the second line LW. Somewhere along the line, though, some people got the idea that we need to have nine capable offensive forwards---which leaves no money left over for the defense.

Chad LaRose and Niklas Nordgren were our third line RWs for most of the 05-06 season. Craig Adams was the second line LW. Somewhere along the line, though, some people got the idea that we need to have nine capable offensive forwards---which leaves no money left over for the defense.

And from a chemistry standpoint, I thought that year's team played better before Doug Weight and Mark Recchi were acquired.

And from a chemistry standpoint, I thought that year's team played better before Doug Weight and Mark Recchi were acquired.

Of course they did. Any time you can stick with your original team you'd do so. Cole being knocked out of the line-up was a tough break so we had to do something. Without those guys who knows if we'd have won the cup.

Of course they did. Any time you can stick with your original team you'd do so. Cole being knocked out of the line-up was a tough break so we had to do something. Without those guys who knows if we'd have won the cup.

My point was that we could stand to have someone like Craig Adams or Shane Willis on our third-line if it facilitates a move that could improve other aspects of this team. Erik Cole for Joni Pitkanen and a high-end prospect would improve the present and future of this team.