The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

I don't think Sopel would be a horrible addition. Problem is how do you get rid of a d-man or 2
We wouldn't need to really get rid of anyone. We still have an open roster spot.

If you didn't get rid of someone you'd have 9 defensemen. This would leave no room to bring up a forward in case of injuries that are not severe enough for IR.

JR was on 850 AM yesterday morning. He said he wouldn't rule out looking at adding another forward or making changes to the forward lineup. He also said that there was more than one defenceman with a no-trade clause, despite the inferences made in the N&0 and elsewhere. Furthermore, he said that the defenceman's decision not to waive his clause does not affect team's view of him as a good player and part of the team going forward. So, I guess you could interpret those statements pretty freely.

Furthermore, he said that the defenceman's decision not to waive his clause does not affect team's view of him as a good player and part of the team going forward.

Hedican. No doubt.

Thank God, Sutton is out of our division. Rumor is he's signed with Buffalo. No official source has confirmed yet but numerous blogs and papers are reporting it. If this is true all I can say is hahahahahahahahahahaha!

Well, the good news for Sabres fans is that they finally have their physical defensive defenseman.

The bad news is that it's Andy Sutton and Andy Sutton sucks.

Well, the good news for Sabres fans is that they finally have their physical defensive defenseman.

Where did you see that Sutton is heading to Buffalo? I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Sutton and Linda Ruffles would get along well.

Where did you see that Sutton is heading to Buffalo? I haven't seen it anywhere yet. Sutton and Linda Ruffles would get along well.

Comrie and Guerin are headed to the Islanders now. That's one more off JR's list.

I am beginning to feel that JR is waiting and will make a trade for someone not so well known. As I have stated before, the big names cost to much and JR likes to shape and mold players. The big names are hard to do. The not so big names want to prove themselves so they try harder.

Just my two cents!

Comrie and Guerin are headed to the Islanders now. That's one more off JR's list.

I am beginning to feel that JR is waiting and will make a trade for someone not so well known. As I have stated before, the big names cost to much and JR likes to shape and mold players. The big names are hard to do. The not so big names want to prove themselves so they try harder.

Just my two cents!

the players that JR had slotted either went for too much (in excess of $1.5mil) or wanted longer contracts (White's 4 year deal).

Just my two cents!

the players that JR had slotted either went for too much (in excess of $1.5mil) or wanted longer contracts (White's 4 year deal).

So, if I read you correctly, he probably will get a young player instead. I mean, $1.5 mil is a lot, to me anyway, but on the ice, it will not buy a name.

What about Brent Sopel? He has a powerful shot.

Comments!

So, if I read you correctly, he probably will get a young player instead. I mean, $1.5 mil is a lot, to me anyway, but on the ice, it will not buy a name.

What about Brent Sopel? He has a powerful shot.

Comments!

Sopel might be a good fit but even if we could afford him, how much would we have to pay an extra guy just to stand there 24/7 to hold his http://www2.sportsnet.ca/blogs/hockey_hearsay/2007/04/12/cracker_crumbles_sopels_back/' target="_blank">crackers[/post] for him? :rolleyes:

That guy may never be able to live that down.... :D

nhlnumbers listed our cap hit for next year at 43.433 M as of this morning.

If any trade is going to happen then it would have to be for a player in the same price range as the one we are trading.

nhlnumbers listed our cap hit for next year at 43.433 M as of this morning.

If any trade is going to happen then it would have to be for a player in the same price range as the one we are trading.

I just looked at NHLNumbers and the way I read it we have $6.8Mil CAP SPACE.

Maybe I am reading it wrong! :unsure:

The Cap maybe 50M, but the Canes spenind limit is 44M. JR does this because we are small market team and need to have some flexibilty, plus, it allowsd us to aquire a veteran for the stretch run if need be.

Don't forget, the cap numbers are the average salaries over the life of the contract, not how much is necessarily being spent this year. I know off the top of my head that at least Cam Ward's cap number is higher this upcoming season than what he will get paid. And as far as I know, JR's budget is going off of money spent, not cap number.

Don't forget, the cap numbers are the average salaries over the life of the contract, not how much is necessarily being spent this year. I know off the top of my head that at least Cam Ward's cap number is higher this upcoming season than what he will get paid. And as far as I know, JR's budget is going off of money spent, not cap number.

Correct. The "cap hit" number offset from payroll is due mostly to Ward's escalating contract, as you pointed, out and Ladd's entry contract signing bonus which makes his cap hit about twice his actual salary.

The Canes don't want to spend more than $44 million for this season's payroll regardless of what the cap hit looks like from an NHL standpoint.

Boy, I sure am learning a lot! Thanks everybody!

I read we were interested in Bryan Smolinski, which was traded to Vancouver. Since he's salary is around $1.5mil, think JR might be looking to make a trade to Vancouver for him to command the 3rd line?

In reading all the comments you guys give, it helps me learn more. ;)

Boy, I sure am learning a lot! Thanks everybody!

I read we were interested in Bryan Smolinski, which was traded to Vancouver. Since he's salary is around $1.5mil, think JR might be looking to make a trade to Vancouver for him to command the 3rd line?

In reading all the comments you guys give, it helps me learn more. ;)

Couple problems here. First off, Jeff Hamilton is our third line center. He's said so himself. Secondly, Smolinski was a ufa with Vancouver and has already signed a one-year deal in Montreal with a NTC.

JR has said he would still consider getting another forward and shaking up the defense. He didn't say how he would do either one of those, but hey, I'm willing to wait and see what happens if the deals good.

Lets face it and stop all the speculation were not signing anybody else.

there is plenty of time before the season starts, also JR likes to let the dust settle before he starts sifting to see what he can find.

At the end of the day, if this is the roster we have on opening night then I am ok with it. We have a great core group, they will be well rested, and more importantly they will be angry about how this past season ended so they will have something to prove.

Lets face it and stop all the speculation were not signing anybody else.

there is plenty of time before the season starts, also JR likes to let the dust settle before he starts sifting to see what he can find.

At the end of the day, if this is the roster we have on opening night then I am ok with it. We have a great core group, they will be well rested, and more importantly they will be angry about how this past season ended so they will have something to prove.

Indeed. They've had 5 1/2 months roughly to get healthy again.