The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

so someone tell me why we aren't interested in Souray, a proven defenseman from montreal...........
Because he's awful defensively, had a career year, is injury prone and is reportedly asking for $6M/yr.

so someone tell me why we aren't interested in Souray, a proven defenseman from montreal...........
Because he's awful defensively, had a career year, is injury prone and is reportedly asking for $6M/yr.

Yeah, he was up there on salary so I don't forsee anything with him and Carolina.

I bet JR is waiting for all the remaining players to receive offers and then see what is left. If any seems interesting, he will submit an offer to them. (Just a thought).

Others have said that if we don't get anyone else we are in good shape and I have to agree with that statement. With the extended time off to recoup, I bet our guys will come out strong.

Go get'em Canes!

Also, after the dust settles, JR may wait for someone to approach him. A free agent defenseman may see what his choices are, pick between Edmonton and Carolina, and then JR can negotiate more so with him. (You don't want to live in Edmonton, where it's cold, and they have Kevin Lowe as GM do you??) :lol:

Also, after the dust settles, JR may wait for someone to approach him. A free agent defenseman may see what his choices are, pick between Edmonton and Carolina, and then JR can negotiate more so with him. (You don't want to live in Edmonton, where it's cold, and they have Kevin Lowe as GM do you??) :lol:

JR tries to negotiate from a position of strength, I would never play poker or chess with him.

we cannot remain status quo. that got us the 11th pick in the draft this year. You cant expect Wesley and Hedican to make it through another year completely healthy. we will end up the same as last year. and dont tell me Jeff Hamilton is our answer. would be nice to see us spend the max under the cap also.

we cannot remain status quo. that got us the 11th pick in the draft this year. You cant expect Wesley and Hedican to make it through another year completely healthy. we will end up the same as last year. and dont tell me Jeff Hamilton is our answer. would be nice to see us spend the max under the cap also.

The team that got us the 11th pick also got us the Cup the year before, minus, what.. Matt Cullen and Aaron ward on 05-06 and Letowski and Seidenburg? Not to mention that Kaberle was out half the season, as was Stillman, Brindy played with an injured foot/ankle thing.. ... a LOT of injuries.. I'm not blaming them entirely, but that certainly didn't help us. Hammy's going to be the 3rd line center, he said so himself as to why he signed with Carolina. The teams well rested now, everyone should be healthy and ready to go.

JR has said he's looking to shake up the D, which means we'll probably get another defenseman. If we don't, it's fine. We gave up less goal last year, than we did in our Cup year. It'd be nice to have a powerplay QB defenseman, yes it would. And JR has even said he'd consider adding another forward if the right deal comes along.

So, staying "status quo" is fine. Sit back, and enjoy some Hurricane hockey the way it was meant to be played come Oct. :)

Jeff Hamilton wasn't our only signing.

Remember we re-signed Whitney, Walker, and Cam.

We are lucky enough to have our key guys under contract where these other teams did not. And these other teams lost their key guys, hence had to go out and get new key guys. Just b/c we didn't make a splash in free agency doesn't mean we dont' have a good team. We didn't have to make that splash b/c our key guys were already signed.

There have been quite a few detailed posts about the downside, now and in the future, of spending to the cap.

I'd love to see one from the "spend to the cap" proponents that actually drills into the same detail in terms of short-term and long-term impacts. No offense to you, Wizard, and maybe there's one on here I haven't seen.

would be nice to see us spend the max under the cap also.

Why so we can be caught in the same spot the Stars are in this year, and the Sens and Leafs are in now. Niether the Snes or Leafs could make a play for Comrie because they were so close to the number. It makes little to no sense to spend to the max cap because it gives you little flexiblity. The Rangers and Flyers will feel this pinch in a season or two. Also what happens if you spend to the 50mil mark and say the cap drops back to 46mil next year? Spending max allowable dollars isn't always the best way to do things.

We are lucky enough to have our key guys under contract where these other teams did not. And these other teams lost their key guys, hence had to go out and get new key guys. Just b/c we didn't make a splash in free agency doesn't mean we dont' have a good team. We didn't have to make that splash b/c our key guys were already signed.

Don't forget the minor leaguers that are being signed as well. Now that the Canes won't have to share an AHL team in Albany the prospects should get a lot more play time and thus development. Making the organization as a whole a lot stronger and deeper in talent, and able to build up through the draft and player development rather than wild FA spending sprees. The way the most successful pro teams build up, and for the long-term rather than just buying a championship short-term. Also giving us the depth of talent for when a trade needs to be made that we aren't mortgaging the future by giving away all of our prospects to get a piece of the puzzle we need now.

I've noticed in a lot of the threads of the minor league FA's that have been signed that people are wondering why we are getting some "tough guys", and the obvious answer is to protect the guys that we'll be seeing down the road in the RBC Center. They might be the future Coles and Staals, but they won't do us much good if they take a cheap shot that ends their careers short. We want to have the most famous Sutter as a Cane (hopefully!), and not just a guy from a great hockey family that would have been great if only it weren't for that injury he took before he made it to the big time, for example.

Usually it's not the fancy and flashy stuff that the big headlines are made of that make the most difference. The Canes are setting themselves up to be a contender for years to come even though nothing they've done so far has made the media go into a frenzy with excitement.

I guess this kinda isn't Canes related, but Tanabe is rumoured to be looking at the Florida Pansies and the Isles....I am not sure which is worse :blink:

Don't forget the minor leaguers that are being signed as well. Now that the Canes won't have to share an AHL team in Albany the prospects should get a lot more play time and thus development. Making the organization as a whole a lot stronger and deeper in talent, and able to build up through the draft and player development rather than wild FA spending sprees. The way the most successful pro teams build up, and for the long-term rather than just buying a championship short-term. Also giving us the depth of talent for when a trade needs to be made that we aren't mortgaging the future by giving away all of our prospects to get a piece of the puzzle we need now.

I've noticed in a lot of the threads of the minor league FA's that have been signed that people are wondering why we are getting some "tough guys", and the obvious answer is to protect the guys that we'll be seeing down the road in the RBC Center. They might be the future Coles and Staals, but they won't do us much good if they take a cheap shot that ends their careers short. We want to have the most famous Sutter as a Cane (hopefully!), and not just a guy from a great hockey family that would have been great if only it weren't for that injury he took before he made it to the big time, for example.

Usually it's not the fancy and flashy stuff that the big headlines are made of that make the most difference. The Canes are setting themselves up to be a contender for years to come even though nothing they've done so far has made the media go into a frenzy with excitement.

Great post. I prefer to have to quiet signings and early UFA signings so as not to draw all the media attention. Just look at what trouble the media frenzy has caused in markets like Buffalo, Edmonton and the Rangers. Its similar to the proverbial "hanging out all your dirty laundry". That only adds pressure and a lot of misinformation sorrounding both the team and the players involved.

Great post. I prefer to have to quiet signings and early UFA signings so as not to draw all the media attention. Just look at what trouble the media frenzy has caused in markets like Buffalo, Edmonton and the Rangers. Its similar to the proverbial "hanging out all your dirty laundry". That only adds pressure and a lot of misinformation sorrounding both the team and the players involved.

I guess this kinda isn't Canes related, but Tanabe is rumoured to be looking at the Florida Pansies and the Isles....I am not sure which is worse :blink:

Cracks me up how Florida likes to go after our guys or the guys were targeting. Before Scottie re-signed they were rumored to be very interested in him. Then Scottie re-signed and they got mad. We were interested in Todd White, oh look so is Florida. Now their interested in Tanabe. Makes me laugh how Florida wants to be like us. :P

Living in FL and attending a few games, I enjoy the Panthers. They've got a great young core of guys that have some good potential, but their down fall is Ugly Jokinen. Wife and I hate that man. He's just so... grrr. 685.gif

Why so we can be caught in the same spot the Stars are in this year, and the Sens and Leafs are in now. Niether the Snes or Leafs could make a play for Comrie because they were so close to the number. It makes little to no sense to spend to the max cap because it gives you little flexiblity. The Rangers and Flyers will feel this pinch in a season or two. Also what happens if you spend to the 50mil mark and say the cap drops back to 46mil next year? Spending max allowable dollars isn't always the best way to do things.

The thing is, from what I understand, the Cap can only rise, and it cannot fall. I mean, that was one of the big pushes from the players union that they would have guaranteed contracts, and if the cap were to fall, they would have to cut salaries to make teams fall under it...

And why not try to sign a guy to a $4-5 million contract this offseason and only have him locked up for about 1-2 years? That would give us the guy's duties for that time, would still allow us $1-2 million to work with come the deadline, and would allow us to let him walk when our players like Staal, Williams, Cole, Ward, etc have their contracts run out...

The thing is, from what I understand, the Cap can only rise, and it cannot fall. I mean, that was one of the big pushes from the players union that they would have guaranteed contracts, and if the cap were to fall, they would have to cut salaries to make teams fall under it...

And why not try to sign a guy to a $4-5 million contract this offseason and only have him locked up for about 1-2 years? That would give us the guy's duties for that time, would still allow us $1-2 million to work with come the deadline, and would allow us to let him walk when our players like Staal, Williams, Cole, Ward, etc have their contracts run out...

Wrong, the cap fluctuates based on revenue!! Revenue goes down then the cap goes down as does the individual pay cap. if the cap goes down next season ('08-'09) then the max a player can make goes down which means all those big contracts this season that pay big next will be reduced. The cap is structured to where player salaries will never be more than 52% of league revenue. if that percentage goes higher then ALL players have to pay the owner's back.

Its just not that simple *sigh*. What kind of role does that 4-5 mil player take on? What kind of minutes does he get? I would hope a player that commanded that much $ would be getting tons of ice time to prove his worth but at the expense of who? Do you take away ice time from players like Brindy, Cole, Whitney or Staal just to get your money's worth? You're setting yourself up for all kinds of locker room issues.

Its just not that simple *sigh*. What kind of role does that 4-5 mil player take on? What kind of minutes does he get? I would hope a player that commanded that much $ would be getting tons of ice time to prove his worth but at the expense of who? Do you take away ice time from players like Brindy, Cole, Whitney or Staal just to get your money's worth? You're setting yourself up for all kinds of locker room issues.

Wrong, the cap fluctuates based on revenue!! Revenue goes down then the cap goes down as does the individual pay cap. if the cap goes down next season ('08-'09) then the max a player can make goes down which means all those big contracts this season that pay big next will be reduced. The cap is structured to where player salaries will never be more than 52% of league revenue. if that percentage goes higher then ALL players have to pay the owner's back.

If the cap decreases, all players across the board would have to decrease their salary... I mean you can't tell a Briere that he's suddenly going to start making the same money a 3rd liner does without adjusting that player's salary as well (exaggeration, but you get my point)...

Taking a chance like that is not that big a deal. I have no problem with trying to build and improve upon the team we already have. I simply don't understand why some people are so dead set on wanting to remain stagnant with a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year. I'm not saying lets go out and get every single big name player we can, but lets look to at least attempt to improve on some areas. I would like to see an upgrade in the defensive ranks this season. I would like to see a player come in who can naturally QB the power play. I would like to address the problems we had last year, and to provide some additional depth to this team that was so badly exposed last year when some players got hurt. We need help on defense, we need help on the PP, lets do something about that. Bringing in a player that makes $3-4 million to play defense for us would be a big upgrade on what we already have. Heck, I'd be willing to trade for a player like that. Granted we'd probably have to ask either Hedican or Wallin to take a back seat this year if we did so, but so be it. Anything to improve the quality of the team that we put out onto the ice is a good idea by me.

And yes, even before canes97 complains about it, yes, I would like to do this even if it meant increasing ticket price by a couple bucks per game across the board. Its a small price to pay to watch a team compete at the top level of competition in this league. And whats to say this would create a lockerroom problem? Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that could come into this team and fit right in with the attitude that we have. We just have to go out and get them.