The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that could come into this team and fit right in with the attitude that we have. We just have to go out and get them.

And what about the 29 other teams bidding on this player you covet? Hence a bidding war where you now start to compromise the future of the team. Like I said before, its just not that simple cause if it was, all 30 teams would have whoever they wanted.

And just for the record, I don't think that most people want JR to do "nothing" to improve the team as you infer, its just that folks also want him to be fiscally responsible while making these decisions so we can enjoy Hurricane hockey for years to come.

Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that could come into this team and fit right in with the attitude that we have. We just have to go out and get them.

And what about the 29 other teams bidding on this player you covet? Hence a bidding war where you now start to compromise the future of the team. Like I said before, its just not that simple cause if it was, all 30 teams would have whoever they wanted.

And just for the record, I don't think that most people want JR to do "nothing" to improve the team as you infer, its just that folks also want him to be fiscally responsible while making these decisions so we can enjoy Hurricane hockey for years to come.

Thats why you go after the players now that nobody is really looking at while they are so desperately coveting the $5-$6 million players...

You lock up a $3-4 million player early on so you don't have to deal with the bidding war later... just my $0.02

Thats why you go after the players now that nobody is really looking at while they are so desperately coveting the $5-$6 million players...

You lock up a $3-4 million player early on so you don't have to deal with the bidding war later... just my $0.02

You might want to take a look at this list, even the so called $3-4 mil players are coveted right now by many teams. Just cause the tradings and signings are slow right now, don't think there isn't a lot of wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes.

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=8556&st=40&start=40' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...40&start=40[/post]

You might want to take a look at this list, even the so called $3-4 mil players are coveted right now by many teams. Just cause the tradings and signings are slow right now, don't think there isn't a lot of wheeling and dealing going on behind the scenes.

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index.php?showtopic=8556&st=40&start=40' target="_blank">http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...40&start=40[/post]

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...40&start=40

Looking at that list... I really don't like the idea of Selanne going to Philly... I mean, that would basically complete their rebuilding and they would have a VERY good team that would be a force to be reckoned with in the East...

its almost scary to think of what their front office has done since the Forsberg trade (i.e. since Bobby Clarke was fired)

Looking at that list... I really don't like the idea of Selanne going to Philly... I mean, that would basically complete their rebuilding and they would have a VERY good team that would be a force to be reckoned with in the East...

its almost scary to think of what their front office has done since the Forsberg trade (i.e. since Bobby Clarke was fired)

Philly does look to be a force but lets keep this thread about Canes rumors ;) .

Philly does look to be a force but lets keep this thread about Canes rumors ;) .

http://forums.carolinahurricanes.com/index...40&start=40

Yea... but the rumors about the Canes get boring... :lol: we're just reiterating the same argument over and over again every 2 days or so...

Hmmmm... how can we spice it up... how bout rumors on StormSquad signings?

Yea... but the rumors about the Canes get boring... :lol: we're just reiterating the same argument over and over again every 2 days or so...

How bout either not reiterating the same argument over and over again, or finding a different thread to post in, just a thought ;)

How bout either not reiterating the same argument over and over again, or finding a different thread to post in, just a thought ;)

would be nice to see us spend the max under the cap also.

Why so we can be caught in the same spot the Stars are in this year, and the Sens and Leafs are in now. Niether the Snes or Leafs could make a play for Comrie because they were so close to the number. It makes little to no sense to spend to the max cap because it gives you little flexiblity. The Rangers and Flyers will feel this pinch in a season or two. Also what happens if you spend to the 50mil mark and say the cap drops back to 46mil next year? Spending max allowable dollars isn't always the best way to do things.

The thing is, from what I understand, the Cap can only rise, and it cannot fall. I mean, that was one of the big pushes from the players union that they would have guaranteed contracts, and if the cap were to fall, they would have to cut salaries to make teams fall under it...

And why not try to sign a guy to a $4-5 million contract this offseason and only have him locked up for about 1-2 years? That would give us the guy's duties for that time, would still allow us $1-2 million to work with come the deadline, and would allow us to let him walk when our players like Staal, Williams, Cole, Ward, etc have their contracts run out...

Wrong, the cap fluctuates based on revenue!! Revenue goes down then the cap goes down as does the individual pay cap. if the cap goes down next season ('08-'09) then the max a player can make goes down which means all those big contracts this season that pay big next will be reduced. The cap is structured to where player salaries will never be more than 52% of league revenue. if that percentage goes higher then ALL players have to pay the owner's back.

If the cap decreases, all players across the board would have to decrease their salary... I mean you can't tell a Briere that he's suddenly going to start making the same money a 3rd liner does without adjusting that player's salary as well (exaggeration, but you get my point)...

Taking a chance like that is not that big a deal. I have no problem with trying to build and improve upon the team we already have. I simply don't understand why some people are so dead set on wanting to remain stagnant with a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year. I'm not saying lets go out and get every single big name player we can, but lets look to at least attempt to improve on some areas. I would like to see an upgrade in the defensive ranks this season. I would like to see a player come in who can naturally QB the power play. I would like to address the problems we had last year, and to provide some additional depth to this team that was so badly exposed last year when some players got hurt. We need help on defense, we need help on the PP, lets do something about that. Bringing in a player that makes $3-4 million to play defense for us would be a big upgrade on what we already have. Heck, I'd be willing to trade for a player like that. Granted we'd probably have to ask either Hedican or Wallin to take a back seat this year if we did so, but so be it. Anything to improve the quality of the team that we put out onto the ice is a good idea by me.

And yes, even before canes97 complains about it, yes, I would like to do this even if it meant increasing ticket price by a couple bucks per game across the board. Its a small price to pay to watch a team compete at the top level of competition in this league. And whats to say this would create a lockerroom problem? Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that could come into this team and fit right in with the attitude that we have. We just have to go out and get them.

JR is trying to improve the areas that need help. He wants to score the PP QB. He's content on signing Hamilton for the 3rd line center. Is he going to win every F/O? Of course not. I wouldn't expect him to win half of the face off's. But, he has a scoring touch apparently, and let's see if he can continue that here with the Canes. He's an addition to our missing 3rd line center, and our PP.

JR himself has said before, and I know others have said as well, that he wants the defensemen QB. He'd love that 1/2 guy, and he said he's working on it. Guys like Souray, do you want to spend 6 mil per season for him, when you could find someone a little "less" that him for about 3 mil? With the savings there, we can acquire some new help (i.e. Weight and Recchi for the '05-'06 Cup run), without going totally crazy.

Am I willing to spend a few bucks more on a ticket? Of course. If I'm willing to drive all the way from SouthWest FL, you better believe I'm getting my money's worth. But at the same time, I don't want him over spending and jeopardizing Cole, Staal, (possibly) Stillman, etc...

And I wouldn't be surprised if JR didn't land someone after arbitration, or by trade somehow.

Getting off topic for a moment, since you brought up the Storm Squad... how do you as parents feel (if you are parents) about the Storm Squad? Like, do you have daughters that watch them and wonder if it's appropiate for hockey? I know they don't do anything really risque... but just wondered.

Getting off topic for a moment, since you brought up the Storm Squad... how do you as parents feel (if you are parents) about the Storm Squad? Like, do you have daughters that watch them and wonder if it's appropiate for hockey? I know they don't do anything really risque... but just wondered.

As a non-parent, I don't really see the need for them... I mean, lets be honest, they're only there to be eye candy and to keep people entertained during the commercial breaks and intermissions. I mean maybe if they really added something to the experience of going to a hockey game, but their act has become rather old and tiresome over the years. Most people don't even notice them anymore

Compared to the ice girls from other teams, our Storm Squad look pretty innocent. Not sure how much I'd like my daughter out there though.

We had a whole thread about the ice girls and cheer leaders around the league but I can't find it.

Compared to the ice girls from other teams, our Storm Squad look pretty innocent. Not sure how much I'd like my daughter out there though.

We had a whole thread about the ice girls and cheer leaders around the league but I can't find it.

As a non-parent, I don't really see the need for them... I mean, lets be honest, they're only there to be eye candy and to keep people entertained during the commercial breaks and intermissions. I mean maybe if they really added something to the experience of going to a hockey game, but their act has become rather old and tiresome over the years. Most people don't even notice them anymore

Agreed. Starting a family, you look at things differently than when you didn't have kids/before you have kids. I don't mind them, but then I really don't care for them either. I see no point in it. Save the change from the dancers, and pass out more t-shirts or something else.

If the cap decreases, all players across the board would have to decrease their salary... I mean you can't tell a Briere that he's suddenly going to start making the same money a 3rd liner does without adjusting that player's salary as well (exaggeration, but you get my point)...

Taking a chance like that is not that big a deal. I have no problem with trying to build and improve upon the team we already have. I simply don't understand why some people are so dead set on wanting to remain stagnant with a team that didn't even make the playoffs last year. I'm not saying lets go out and get every single big name player we can, but lets look to at least attempt to improve on some areas. I would like to see an upgrade in the defensive ranks this season. I would like to see a player come in who can naturally QB the power play. I would like to address the problems we had last year, and to provide some additional depth to this team that was so badly exposed last year when some players got hurt. We need help on defense, we need help on the PP, lets do something about that. Bringing in a player that makes $3-4 million to play defense for us would be a big upgrade on what we already have. Heck, I'd be willing to trade for a player like that. Granted we'd probably have to ask either Hedican or Wallin to take a back seat this year if we did so, but so be it. Anything to improve the quality of the team that we put out onto the ice is a good idea by me.

And yes, even before canes97 complains about it, yes, I would like to do this even if it meant increasing ticket price by a couple bucks per game across the board. Its a small price to pay to watch a team compete at the top level of competition in this league. And whats to say this would create a lockerroom problem? Heck, there are plenty of guys out there that could come into this team and fit right in with the attitude that we have. We just have to go out and get them.

That's not how it would work with a lowered cap. It just means you have less to spend on your roster and have to make tough decision on who to keep. The 24% salary roll-back for all players was negotiated into the new CBA and a different matter altogether.

Most of what I've read here, and posted, is that the core group is good but that there still is a need for an puck moving Dman who isn't a liability on D (in other words more than a PP specialist). You seem to throw out generalities about spending to the cap but without specific examples and how it could impact the franchise down the road. I've given my specific input several times for player additions as have others here. I think your comments would be take a bit more seriously if you would include the specifics that others have. Otherwise it's just the same background noise.

For the record, I have stated I would pay more. But for my investment - I'm not sure if you make an investment in tickets - I would prefer fiscal responsibility to go along with good performance because I'm looking at from the long-term. Of course, there is the immediate focus but you have to see the bigger picture too. Rutherford is like a mutual fund manager who thrives on making value investments which is what you have to do in a small and still emerging market. You want him to go blue chip with his strategy and seem willing to let others foot the bill. As in the stock market, there are no guarantees that paying more equals success on the ice.

would be nice to see us spend the max under the cap also.

Why so we can be caught in the same spot the Stars are in this year, and the Sens and Leafs are in now. Niether the Snes or Leafs could make a play for Comrie because they were so close to the number. It makes little to no sense to spend to the max cap because it gives you little flexiblity. The Rangers and Flyers will feel this pinch in a season or two. Also what happens if you spend to the 50mil mark and say the cap drops back to 46mil next year? Spending max allowable dollars isn't always the best way to do things.

The thing is, from what I understand, the Cap can only rise, and it cannot fall. I mean, that was one of the big pushes from the players union that they would have guaranteed contracts, and if the cap were to fall, they would have to cut salaries to make teams fall under it...

And why not try to sign a guy to a $4-5 million contract this offseason and only have him locked up for about 1-2 years? That would give us the guy's duties for that time, would still allow us $1-2 million to work with come the deadline, and would allow us to let him walk when our players like Staal, Williams, Cole, Ward, etc have their contracts run out...

Wrong, the cap fluctuates based on revenue!! Revenue goes down then the cap goes down as does the individual pay cap. if the cap goes down next season ('08-'09) then the max a player can make goes down which means all those big contracts this season that pay big next will be reduced. The cap is structured to where player salaries will never be more than 52% of league revenue. if that percentage goes higher then ALL players have to pay the owner's back.

the only players that would take a paycut are to top 10% or so whose salary is above the reduced player cap. all the players know this which is why the cap is $50.3mil and not the $53-54mil the owners were wanting. are they gonna like it, NO but that is the price you pay in a cap system. Jagr's pay went from $11mil to $7mil during the '05-'06 season.

You don't understand about team chemistry, you don't tamper with what IS working for us to get a $4mil third line center. Doesn't make sense!! You have yet to tell us who you would put there and who you would trade to accomplish it without screwing up team chemistry.

I'd like someone to name a UFA forward who signed this season in the $3-4M range who will be playing on their new team's third line.

*Crickets*

It doesn't happen because 1) No UFA who can command that money would want to play on the third line and 2) It's overpayment to pay someone that money to play on the third line.

There's only so much ice time to go around and thus you need to get "creative" so that everyone can be happy and produce up to their salary level. There are two powerplay units for ten powerplay spots. With the number of quality forwards we have, there can be at most one defenseman on each 5-on-4 powerplay unit. That leaves eight spots for forwards, which means there will have to be two forwards capable of playing the point.

Jeff Hamilton can play the point. As far as I know, all the other names that have been thrown out can't. It's no mystery why Eric Belanger's production here sucked. He couldn't play the point on the powerplay and thus didn't get a lot of powerplay time because there were several forwards ahead of him in the pecking order. Belanger started off decently here, but got into a horrible slump. By the time he was traded, you could tell he had lost all confidence in his ability to produce.

that is what some can't understand, if you only have a third line center position open then why bring in a first or second line guy.

I agree about the upgrade at defense, but keep in mind we still got 2 months until pre-season. There is plenty of time for JR to do something. Not sure when you started following the Canes, but I have for a couple years, since 2001 and JR is one of patience. He does not pull the trigger too fast. He is one to sit back, wait, and see which teams can't afford the arbitration rulings or which teams are wanting trades to clear cap. Give the guy a chance to see what happens with other teams. If he gets the chance to pull the trigger he will. He's one of the best GMs in the businees. And I'm not just saying that, the guys on XM have tons of respect for the guy.

You want someone to come in and QB the PP, well we got him, meet Jeff Hamilton. He QB the PP in Chicago and he will QB the PP here. That is one of the reasons we signed the guy.

Hey guys this is my first post here, but have been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to join.

Anyway, to the point, I don't see why people criticize the Jeff Hamilton signing so much for three reasons.

1.) We signed him really cheap at only $800,000( correct me if I'm wrong)

2.) He put up much better numbers last year than Joe Vasicek and will cost less

3.) He was with the worst power play in the league last year and put up great numbers for a $800,000 3rd line center.

One question, do the canes have any desire to sign tanabe? If not what teams are interested in him?

Hey guys this is my first post here, but have been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to join.

Anyway, to the point, I don't see why people criticize the Jeff Hamilton signing so much for three reasons.

1.) We signed him really cheap at only $800,000( correct me if I'm wrong)

2.) He put up much better numbers last year than Joe Vasicek and will cost less

3.) He was with the worst power play in the league last year and put up great numbers for a $800,000 3rd line center.

One question, do the canes have any desire to sign tanabe? If not what teams are interested in him?

check www.hockeybuzz.com for teams that are interested in tanabe, if memory serves me correct the panthers and islanders are interested.

Hey, Model. No, the cap max can increase or decrease. All NHL contracts are guaranteed in the sense that they cannot be cancelled, or voided like they are in some other sports. If it falls, a star player's salary would revert to 20% of the cap max.

Short-term contracts are good. Everybody always gets uneasy when you have a core-type of guy approaching unrestricted free agency, but the Hurricanes have never really had a problem re-signing those kinds of players.

Where Carolina fails is anything resembling a farm system. You don't need to join the free agent frenzy, or lose a player off of the roster in a deadline deal, or play shorthanded if you have an injury if you have replacement parts in the AHL.

Good points across the board. One postscript though about the elite player's salaries is that with the front-loading of contracts like those that Gomez and Vanek have, a potential decrease in the cap next year won't impact them unless there is a huge drop. Those guys are both at the max of 20% of the cap number but next year both drop to $8 million/year.