The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Hey guys this is my first post here, but have been reading the forums for a while and finally decided to join.

Anyway, to the point, I don't see why people criticize the Jeff Hamilton signing so much for three reasons.

1.) We signed him really cheap at only $800,000( correct me if I'm wrong)

2.) He put up much better numbers last year than Joe Vasicek and will cost less

3.) He was with the worst power play in the league last year and put up great numbers for a $800,000 3rd line center.

One question, do the canes have any desire to sign tanabe? If not what teams are interested in him?

Apparently Tanabe is talking to both the Isles and the Panthers. He could end up signing with someone else. At this point it's just a waiting game, but sadly I don't think there is any chance he will be wearing a Canes sweater this year :(

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1''>http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1' target="_blank">http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1[/post]

reports us interested in mike york. bad call i think.

how about danny markov? i loved him when he was here. mad when we traded him [although id say it worked out...justin williams], but id love to seem him back.

don't think he is a good fit for Lavi's system, when he was here it was under Mo's system which was defense oriented which worked for him. Don't want him back though.

Well for those questioning JR, doesn't appear he's done yet, well atleast he's not done looking. He also says the trade believed involving Wallin is still on the table. If JR goest after another center via trade, i'd have to assume Letowski is getting packaged in the deal. I don't see a use for him as Hamilton can take over 4th line center duties.

Canes still hunting for third-line center

Luke DeCock, Staff Writer

The Carolina Hurricanes may be done shopping on the free-agent market, with general manager Jim Rutherford saying Sunday he would rather make a deal.

While the Canes signed center Jeff Hamilton on the first day of free agency, Rutherford said he'd like to add another candidate for the third-line center vacancy via trade -- allowing the Canes to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps moving disgruntled defenseman Anton Babchuk in the process.

"Jeff Hamilton will go there if we don't, which will give us more offense," Rutherford said. "But at the same time, his role is he can play all forward positions, jumping up and playing the point on the power play. I'd still like to add one more forward, a third-line center."

The Canes signed Hamilton to a two-year, $1.6 million contract after they were priced out of the market for higher-profile centers. They think he can play the same role Matt Cullen did on the Stanley Cup team -- helping out in shootouts and on the power play.

Hamilton is 5-for-10 in shootouts in his career. The Hurricanes went 0-for-5 in shootouts last season (and missed the playoffs by four points). Cullen went 6-for-9 -- and the Canes 8-2 -- in 2005-06 before leaving for the New York Rangers as a free agent last summer.

Hamilton, like Cullen, can also play the point on the power play. Rutherford said that relieves some of the pressure he felt to add another puck-moving defenseman.

As for that deal to shake up the defense, on the table for two weeks and believed to include Niclas Wallin, Rutherford said it is still alive, if not active.

"It's still sitting there," Rutherford said. "Nothing has changed from what we were trying to do. So long as it sits there, it's still open. I really don't know where it's going to go."

remember DeCrotch says "believed to be Nic Wallin" which means it could be Hedican or another D-man with a no trade clause.

remember DeCrotch says "believed to be Nic Wallin" which means it could be Hedican or another D-man with a no trade clause.

I doubt we could find a team interested in a $2+ million injury-prone 36-year-old defenseman, unless we traded him to ourselves. Niclas Wallin is the only realistic choice.

I doubt we could find a team interested in a $2+ million injury-prone 36-year-old defenseman, unless we traded him to ourselves. Niclas Wallin is the only realistic choice.

But that doesn't mean he is the only choice and their may be a team out there looking for the veteran leadership on D that Hedican would bring (columbus, phoenix).

How about Jeff O'neill? Any idea where he's headed? Doesn't look like Toronto is in a hurry to sign him.

I can tell you where he is NOT going.

JR said trade wise more than likely. Doesn't rule out FA of course... but.. I can Stillman and or Letowski and Wallin/Heds for a 3rd center and defenseman. Before anything else, I like Stiller, but if another GM wanted/needed a good forward.. dunno, throwing some slop on the wall I guess.

lemme guess... does it end in an arolina?

yep, and not welcome ary either. they work hard to keep their streets urine free.

JR said trade wise more than likely. Doesn't rule out FA of course... but.. I can Stillman and or Letowski and Wallin/Heds for a 3rd center and defenseman. Before anything else, I like Stiller, but if another GM wanted/needed a good forward.. dunno, throwing some slop on the wall I guess.

Didn't Hamilton say himself that he was brought in to play 3rd line center? From what I've seen of his highlights, we're set in that department. We do still need another defenseman though. I don't think I'd trade Stillman. He just needs a chance to recover from his surgery last season.

What about Umberger?

He's young, cheap ($1.25).

That would work but we don't have the Bobby Clarke connection, if we did we could trade a bag of pucks, two game day worn athletic supporters, and Babchuk. Clarke would consider that a fair trade!! LOL

But that doesn't mean he is the only choice and their may be a team out there looking for the veteran leadership on D that Hedican would bring (columbus, phoenix).

And trying to meet the salary cap floor.

What about Umberger?

That would work but we don't have the Bobby Clarke connection, if we did we could trade a bag of pucks, two game day worn athletic supporters, and Babchuk. Clarke would consider that a fair trade!! LOL

I've talked to some Flyer fans and they think that Umberger could be had for cheap. And their willing to take Babchuk off our hands for us.

So what about:

To Philly:

Babchuk

Letowski

(I hear their in need of a 4th line winger)

To Carolina:

Umberger

If doesn't appear fair, maybe add in a prospect or pick from Philly.

Cause let's face it, Babchuk has the potential to be very good. He had his good moments with us at the beginning of the year so its not like Philly would be getting trash. They'll just have to deal with his attitude, but if they give him playing time, he'll be happy. And they are looking for a #6 defenseman. He could be what they need.

What about Umberger?

I've talked to some Flyer fans and they think that Umberger could be had for cheap. And their willing to take Babchuk off our hands for us.

So what about:

To Philly:

Babchuk

Letowski

(I hear their in need of a 4th line winger)

To Carolina:

Umberger

If doesn't appear fair, maybe add in a prospect or pick from Philly.

Cause let's face it, Babchuk has the potential to be very good. He had his good moments with us at the beginning of the year so its not like Philly would be getting trash. They'll just have to deal with his attitude, but if they give him playing time, he'll be happy. And they are looking for a #6 defenseman. He could be what they need.

If Philly is truly looking to sign Selanne like Eklund says they are, this isn't a bad idea at all... I'm also hearing they'll be willing to dump Gauthier (d-man) as well... heck, we could gladly take Umberger and Gauthier off their hands for Babchuk and Letowski... :)

Here we go again...

HURRICANES STILL SEEKING A CENTRE.

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a third line center. Having signed UFA centre Jeff Hamilton last week, it's believed Rutherford would prefer to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps move disgruntled d-man Anton Babchuk in a trade for that third line centre. Rutherford also claims the deal to shake up his blueline reported two weeks ago is still alive, if not active. It was said to involve 'Canes blueliner Niclas Wallin.

Spector's note: Hat tip to GJ Berg and "Matt T." Interesting bit about that supposed trade. It was believed to be with the Flyers for Joni Pitkanen but with his move to Edmonton it obviously doesn't involve him.

Here we go again...

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a third line center. Having signed UFA centre Jeff Hamilton last week, it's believed Rutherford would prefer to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps move disgruntled d-man Anton Babchuk in a trade for that third line centre. Rutherford also claims the deal to shake up his blueline reported two weeks ago is still alive, if not active. It was said to involve 'Canes blueliner Niclas Wallin.

Spector's note: Hat tip to GJ Berg and "Matt T." Interesting bit about that supposed trade. It was believed to be with the Flyers for Joni Pitkanen but with his move to Edmonton it obviously doesn't involve him.

Here we go again...

I am thinking the Canes are going to get Matt Cullen back from the Rangers. The Rangers are trying to clear some cap space so they can possibly sign Souray. With the Drury and Gomez signing, Cullen is expendable.