The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Here we go again...

HURRICANES STILL SEEKING A CENTRE.

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a third line center. Having signed UFA centre Jeff Hamilton last week, it's believed Rutherford would prefer to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps move disgruntled d-man Anton Babchuk in a trade for that third line centre. Rutherford also claims the deal to shake up his blueline reported two weeks ago is still alive, if not active. It was said to involve 'Canes blueliner Niclas Wallin.

Spector's note: Hat tip to GJ Berg and "Matt T." Interesting bit about that supposed trade. It was believed to be with the Flyers for Joni Pitkanen but with his move to Edmonton it obviously doesn't involve him.

I am thinking the Canes are going to get Matt Cullen back from the Rangers. The Rangers are trying to clear some cap space so they can possibly sign Souray. With the Drury and Gomez signing, Cullen is expendable.

we don't have room for or want that salary.

Here we go again...

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a third line center. Having signed UFA centre Jeff Hamilton last week, it's believed Rutherford would prefer to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps move disgruntled d-man Anton Babchuk in a trade for that third line centre. Rutherford also claims the deal to shake up his blueline reported two weeks ago is still alive, if not active. It was said to involve 'Canes blueliner Niclas Wallin.

Spector's note: Hat tip to GJ Berg and "Matt T." Interesting bit about that supposed trade. It was believed to be with the Flyers for Joni Pitkanen but with his move to Edmonton it obviously doesn't involve him.

I am thinking the Canes are going to get Matt Cullen back from the Rangers. The Rangers are trying to clear some cap space so they can possibly sign Souray. With the Drury and Gomez signing, Cullen is expendable.

We do if they buy him out ;)

Here we go again...

We do if they buy him out ;)

Here we go again...

I think they could make the numbers work. If they can send NY about 1mm in salary back, the Canes would only add about 2 million to the payroll in the transaction. That is how much they have left to the self imposed budget.

Here we go again...

I think they could make the numbers work. If they can send NY about 1mm in salary back, the Canes would only add about 2 million to the payroll in the transaction. That is how much they have left to the self imposed budget.

you don't pay that kind of salary for a third liner, the only way it would work is as Top suggested. If the rags buy him out then we can offer something that fits our budget.

I hear you. It is a longshot I know. But I have a feeling the Canes really missed Cullen and they underestimated how important he was to the Cup team. I think they realized the mistake. He can play center, wing, and can man the point on the PP. He also is solid in shootouts. And we all know the Canes can use all the help they can get in that department.

As good as getting Cullen would be, I don't think he's the guy JR is interested in. The trade is supposed to "shake up the blue line" and Cullen is a forward. He's prolly goin for a D-man. And if Wallin is in the trade, then there will be no trade. Wallin doesn't want to leave Carolina.

And i don't want the Rangers to sign Souray, I want the Canes to sign him. If only Karmonos will let JR spend the money.

As good as getting Cullen would be, I don't think he's the guy JR is interested in. The trade is supposed to "shake up the blue line" and Cullen is a forward. He's prolly goin for a D-man. And if Wallin is in the trade, then there will be no trade. Wallin doesn't want to leave Carolina.

And i don't want the Rangers to sign Souray, I want the Canes to sign him. If only Karmonos will let JR spend the money.

I agree that a dman is what JR is looking for but I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Rangers buy out Cullen's contract, JR will be one of the first to talk to Cullen's agent.

I agree that a dman is what JR is looking for but I have a sneaking suspicion that if the Rangers buy out Cullen's contract, JR will be one of the first to talk to Cullen's agent.

Hmmm, could either of these be JR's secret trade partner for a dman?

PREDATORS, BLACKHAWKS TO SHOP A BLUELINER?

THE TENNESSEAN: John Glennon reports the Nashville Predators presently have eight defencemen on their roster with "one-way" contracts, meaning they'd have to pass through waivers to be demoted to the minors. It's possible one of them might end up traded.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon hopes to add "another winger and a veteran stay-at-home, physical defenseman" to his roster before training camp. The 'Hawks have depth on the defence leading Sassone to speculate one or more of their current defence corps might be shopped.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to GJ Berg for the Tennessean link. Such a move wouldn't be a salary dump but rather addressing a depth issue. Don't count on Marek Zidlicky, Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis or Ryan Suter getting shopped. As for the Blackhawks, rising young blueliners like Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith and Cam Barker are often mentioned in trade rumours but Tallon insists those players aren't available. He should be able to land a winger or d-man via free agency as there's still some decent second-tier talent available in the UFA market.

THE TENNESSEAN: John Glennon reports the Nashville Predators presently have eight defencemen on their roster with "one-way" contracts, meaning they'd have to pass through waivers to be demoted to the minors. It's possible one of them might end up traded.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon hopes to add "another winger and a veteran stay-at-home, physical defenseman" to his roster before training camp. The 'Hawks have depth on the defence leading Sassone to speculate one or more of their current defence corps might be shopped.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to GJ Berg for the Tennessean link. Such a move wouldn't be a salary dump but rather addressing a depth issue. Don't count on Marek Zidlicky, Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis or Ryan Suter getting shopped. As for the Blackhawks, rising young blueliners like Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith and Cam Barker are often mentioned in trade rumours but Tallon insists those players aren't available. He should be able to land a winger or d-man via free agency as there's still some decent second-tier talent available in the UFA market.

There was an artible in today's paper that said JR was trying to trade for a center?

specifically a third line center.

Since JR is trying to send Babchuk to the team he trades with, Chicago won't be a trading partner. And I can't see Nashville taking Babchuk if their gonna trade cause they have too many defenseman, unless they decide to keep him in Russia for this year.

Honestly, I think JR has given up on acquiring that puck moving defenseman. He said in the paper yesterday that acquiring Hamilton kind of fills his needs for a puck moving defenseman, as Hamilton can QB the PP. I think JR wanted that defenseman to QB the PP, but since he got Hamilton, he can use Hamilton in that role.

I think JR has moved to finding an official 3rd line center. Yeah Hamilton can probably do it, but JR probably doesn't want to take that chance. If he can acquire a real 3rd line center, then move Hamilton to 4th line and use him on the PP, I believe we will be really set.

As far as Cullen, anyway he comes back is if the Rags buy him out, but I think they will actually be able to find a team that will be willing to trade for him. JR will not pay that salary for 3rd line minutes.

Now question is which 3rd line center via trade can we get for Babchuk and Letowski.

Dallas Stars could be a potential trade partner, they have some excess forwards to deal. I'd welcome Stu Barnes, Jeff Halpern, Joel Lundqvist, or Steve Ott.

Dallas Stars could be a potential trade partner, they have some excess forwards to deal. I'd welcome Stu Barnes, Jeff Halpern, Joel Lundqvist, or Steve Ott.

Barnes is the only one that is a center, Lundqvist is a RFA awaiting an offer. they are the only two that will fill the slot we have salary wise.

After everything I have read here and heard Hamilton say about being the 3rd line guy, I am surprised to hear we are looking for a 3rd line center still. I am sure Hamilton can handle it but strange for him to say it and then hear he may be pushed to the 4th line.

As far as Babchuk, I would be glad to see that big baby go back to Russia. I would still like to keep Wallin though. He has had his bad moments, when he scored against our empty net, LOL, but he is a great defenseman. The guy works hard and can shoot. Wish we could make another trade and keep him.

As someone else stated, who would be worth trading for? There are many I can think of but the salary is the next issue. I just hope it's some like Walker! Someone that will play the position but get physical when needed.

And what about JV? Are we looking to move him too?

Got this bit from Eklund:

Also a source has informed me that the Canucks are working on a "Major" trade with a team in the East. With the Canucks signing two more d-men yesterday, it is going to be interesting to see what the plan is...

Sounds like a trade involving a defenseman. I know JR just changed his thought of acquiring a puck-moving defenseman, but would the Nucks have anyone we would be interested in. If so, who and what it would take to get?

I have no idea as I've only watched one Nucks game. Let's hear what you've got. We need to do something to pass the time till Sep. 16 :P

Nashville doesn't really have any defensemen I would like to see come to Carolina. As far as the blackhawks go, the only defensemen they will probably be willing to trade are former hurricanes (Bruno St Jaques and Danny Richmond), and thats not worth our effort.

Nashville doesn't really have any defensemen I would like to see come to Carolina. As far as the blackhawks go, the only defensemen they will probably be willing to trade are former hurricanes (Bruno St Jaques and Danny Richmond), and thats not worth our effort.

I thought Bruno was with the ducks??

I thought Bruno was with the ducks??

Nope. The Ducks traded him, along with some prospects to Chicago for Sebastien Caron.

I'd take Shea Weber in a heart beat.