The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

:lol: Ek has us looking at Jeff O'Neill....but THAT isn't the worst part....

He also has us looking at (prepare yourself for this) BELFOUR

I think at this point EK's brain had been fried from staying in chat too long

It's pretty obvious what he did and that's why I say he's just making things up.

The other day he had the Canes interested in one guy on his chart, and that was York who signed in Phoenix. That was an unfounded rumor for Carolina and the Coyotes weren't on his list of teams rumored to have interest in York.

In any event, he needed to tie someone to Carolina in his chart so every team would be represented. So viola in the course of 24 hours, he adds an ex-Cane in O'Neill and throws Belfour in for who knows what reason given the recent signing of Leighton. Eklund is so transparent it's humorous.

Hmmm, could either of these be JR's secret trade partner for a dman?

PREDATORS, BLACKHAWKS TO SHOP A BLUELINER?

THE TENNESSEAN: John Glennon reports the Nashville Predators presently have eight defencemen on their roster with "one-way" contracts, meaning they'd have to pass through waivers to be demoted to the minors. It's possible one of them might end up traded.

CHICAGO DAILY HERALD: Tim Sassone reports Blackhawks GM Dale Tallon hopes to add "another winger and a veteran stay-at-home, physical defenseman" to his roster before training camp. The 'Hawks have depth on the defence leading Sassone to speculate one or more of their current defence corps might be shopped.

Spector's Note: Hat tip to GJ Berg for the Tennessean link. Such a move wouldn't be a salary dump but rather addressing a depth issue. Don't count on Marek Zidlicky, Shea Weber, Dan Hamhuis or Ryan Suter getting shopped. As for the Blackhawks, rising young blueliners like Brent Seabrook, Duncan Keith and Cam Barker are often mentioned in trade rumours but Tallon insists those players aren't available. He should be able to land a winger or d-man via free agency as there's still some decent second-tier talent available in the UFA market.

Nashville doesn't really have any defensemen I would like to see come to Carolina. As far as the blackhawks go, the only defensemen they will probably be willing to trade are former hurricanes (Bruno St Jaques and Danny Richmond), and thats not worth our effort.

I'd take Shea Weber in a heart beat.

Too bad he isn't available and we could never afford to give enough up to land him anyways.

thats so funny its scary....I mean really scary

Could u imagine Belfour "the dancing Eagle" and O'neil playing for the Canes? That gives me nightmares.

I am a big Ek fan but i didn't believe it until i saw it. Not sure the source of that info, I would see us resigning Tanabe and Vasicek then making Hutch Captain before signing those two turds. Maybe JR is giving those two a little positive nudge so another team will pick them up.

Well, Eck has now lost any credibility that he had. Not that he had too much to begin with.

I mean come on! Anyone who knows anything about the Canes and Jeff O'Neil, knows that he will never play here again.

And Belfour! Maybe Eck hit his head or something an it is effecting his brain.

The only reason Eck even has an audience is because of the Hockey Channel on XM. They have him on all the time and he is rarely correct about anything.

Next thing you know, he will be reporting that we are about to sign Irbe and Ton Barasso!

More rumors per Eklund:

THESE ARE THE RUMOURS FOR YOUR EVENING....

The Canucks look to be up to something big. They may be closing in on Yashin or Allison along with pulling off a major trade with a team from back east.

The Habs are once again trying to pry Marleau away from the Sharks.

There are teams who are eagerly awaiting the EMERY ruling to see if the Sens will or will not accept it.

The Stars are trying to make a trade.

The Hurricanes as about to announce a trade.

The Oilers are putting some space between offer sheets, but don't let that fool you..they are waiting for some rulings to come back from Arbitration

Souray is looking for between 5 and 6 per for 6 years...There is a team that will do it if the years come down to 3 or 4. Maybe the Sharks or the Islanders...Likely not the Isles.

And the Leafs may be moving Raycroft in a deal that could be announced by the time you read this or next week depending on a circumstance that is very OFF THE RECORD.

Take it for what it's worth.

"The Hurricanes as about to announce a trade."

What does that sentence say, should it be "The Hurricanes ARE about to announce a trade"

OK sorry, I'll quit with the English. I mistype things too.

I died laughing when I saw Belfour. Please we do not need him teaching Cam how to be a ballerina. I'll stick with Crackers.

i would prefer a goalie that doesnt stay in the crease

over one that would want to be at a recital instead of a game.

crackers is wanted a lot more than belfour.

ROFLMAO That is a great post right there.

What a surprise, Eklund was wrong again. No trade announced as he said there would be. Perhaps later in the day? I'm skeptical towards anything coming from him, naturally.

I think the Belfour idea is a good one. We can watch the Mighty Mites light up Dancing Eddie during first intermissions. :lol:

What a surprise, Eklund was wrong again. No trade announced as he said there would be. Perhaps later in the day? I'm skeptical towards anything coming from him, naturally.

Usually when he doesn't say specifics the trade is true. Perhaps we will see it later today?

I think the Belfour idea is a good one. We can watch the Mighty Mites light up Dancing Eddie during first intermissions. :lol:

HAHAHHA Are you suggesting that we are looking to get Eddie to play as a mighty mite?

Usually when he doesn't say specifics the trade is true. Perhaps we will see it later today?

HAHAHHA Are you suggesting that we are looking to get Eddie to play as a mighty mite?

he sure acts like one

I know this has been addressed elsewhere, but with the recent signing of Lundquist, the NY Rangers are snug up against the salary cap, and they've still got Avery and Hossa left as RFA. I've seen Rangers fans predicting that they'll jetison Cullen to make room for Avery and Hossa - any idea how, if at all, that could work? I doubt Cullen would be headed back here, but it's an interesting thought since the Rangers may be willing to take less than market value to get him off their team and free up cap room.

Thoughts?

Regardless of what we give up for Cullen we still have to pay him $2.8 million a year for the next three years. That is an absurd amount of money and taking on a contract like that at this point wouldn't leave us many other options should we need to deal at a later time. I'd steer clear as I'm sure JR will. I like the guy...just not with that contract. The rangers were dumb enough to throw money at him, let them pay for it now.

I know this has been addressed elsewhere, but with the recent signing of Lundquist, the http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html' target="_blank">NY Rangers[/post] are snug up against the salary cap, and they've still got Avery and Hossa left as RFA. I've seen Rangers fans predicting that they'll jetison Cullen to make room for Avery and Hossa - any idea how, if at all, that could work? I doubt Cullen would be headed back here, but it's an interesting thought since the Rangers may be willing to take less than market value to get him off their team and free up cap room.

Thoughts?

I think the only thing they could do is buy him out, don't know of any teams that would want him at his current salary. not sure what kind of cap hit a buyout would do, the could restructure Jagrs deal if he will let them.

Right now they're sitting over the cap, I just checked. A buy-out would still cost them so I guess we can expect a trade from the rangers?

Shane, they aren't over the cap yet. If you are checking nhlnumbers, it isn't accurate because it includes Shanny's unearned performance bonus in the cap hit. The site will have a note added to make it clearer, per the guy who runs it.

Looks to me like they have about $800k to spend to get to $50milUSD after taking Shanny's bonus out.

Right now they're sitting over the cap, I just checked. A buy-out would still cost them so I guess we can expect a trade from the rangers?

Shane, they aren't over the cap yet. If you are checking nhlnumbers, it isn't accurate because it includes Shanny's unearned performance bonus in the cap hit. The site will have a note added to make it clearer, per the guy who runs it.

Right, and whether they're over it or up against it but not quite over is irrelevant. Either way, they're tight, and Hossa and Avery still need contracts. Someone, or multiple people, currently on their roster must go. It's ain't going to be Drury, Gomez, Jagr, Shanny, or Lundqvist. The only people that give them any cap space are Cullen and Straka. Straka would be a lot easier to move because he's only a year left on his deal and he becomes an UFA after that. I can't imagine them buying anyone out since that would accelerate the cap hit, I think. They're going to have to move someone or let Avery and Hossa walk it would seem.

Eklund's latest update says Mattias Ohlund is likely to be the player that is moved by Vancouver, possibly to New Jersey for Brian Gionta. This is just my assumption, but I believe we could be the back-up plan in case that deal isn't completed. I think if we don't see a Gionta/Ohlund trade, we could very likely see a Cole/Ohlund trade or Ohlund/Williams trade. Personally, I'd rather ship Erik Cole than Justin Williams.