The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Eklund's latest update says Mattis Ohlund is likely to be the player that is moved by Vancouver, possibly to New Jersey for Brian Gionta. This is just my assumption, but I believe we could be the back-up plan in case that deal isn't completed. I think if we don't see a Gionta/Ohlund trade, we could very likely see a Cole/Ohlund trade or Ohlund/Williams trade. Personally, I'd rather ship Erik Cole than Justin Williams.

This one would be idiotic.

Yeah. I hope he wouldn't be involved. Erik Cole makes the most sense, his contract is equal to Brian Gionta's and he would fill the same position on Vancouver's roster.

Eklund's latest update says Mattias Ohlund is likely to be the player that is moved by Vancouver, possibly to New Jersey for Brian Gionta. This is just my assumption, but I believe we could be the back-up plan in case that deal isn't completed. I think if we don't see a Gionta/Ohlund trade, we could very likely see a Cole/Ohlund trade or Ohlund/Williams trade. Personally, I'd rather ship Erik Cole than Justin Williams.

What makes you think this? Cole? Williams?

Eklund's latest update says Mattias Ohlund is likely to be the player that is moved by Vancouver, possibly to New Jersey for Brian Gionta. This is just my assumption, but I believe we could be the back-up plan in case that deal isn't completed. I think if we don't see a Gionta/Ohlund trade, we could very likely see a Cole/Ohlund trade or Ohlund/Williams trade. Personally, I'd rather ship Erik Cole than Justin Williams.

It's just my assumption. We've been rumored to make a deal, Vancouver has been rumored to make a deal. We want an upgrade on defense, Vancouver wants a right wing to pair with the Sedin twins. Erik Cole is signed to the exact same contract as Brian Gionta, is the same age, and is just as productive. If they'd want Brian Gionta, they would most likely also be interested in Erik Cole. Eklund didn't draw Erik Cole's name out of a hat and decide to start trade rumors about him at the draft, there had to be some truth to the fact that Jim Rutherford had him on the block no matter what he says now. Just a proposal I thought I would throw out there.

It's just my assumption. We've been rumored to make a deal, Vancouver has been rumored to make a deal. We want an upgrade on defense, Vancouver wants a right wing to pair with the Sedin twins. Erik Cole is signed to the exact same contract as Brian Gionta, is the same age, and is just as productive. If they'd want Brian Gionta, they would most likely also be interested in Erik Cole. Eklund didn't draw Erik Cole's name out of a hat and decide to start trade rumors about him at the draft, there had to be some truth to the fact that Jim Rutherford had him on the block no matter what he says now. Just a proposal I thought I would throw out there.

Interesting perspective. Have you seen the recent article about Cole in the N&O. I have a tough time believing that our beat writer was allowed to release so much medical information about Cole if they were thinking about trading him. Unless its JR playing poker again. Although I have no idea how knowing that Erik has limited range of motion and periodic sharp pains woud benefit his trade status.

As for Eklund, with trade rumors slowing down a bit, he needs to keep as many fans as possible interested which means he has to include all 30 teams in on some trade rumors. If he overheard someone in the next bathroom Staal say the Canes could really use a defenseman, he can label that (e1) and peek the interest of fans in NC. Remember, he is entertainment and in no way affiliated with the NHL. By the way, I like reading his rumors too, passes the time till season.

Interesting perspective. Have you seen the recent article about Cole in the N&O. I have a tough time believing that our beat writer was allowed to release so much medical information about Cole if they were thinking about trading him. Unless its JR playing poker again. Although I have no idea how knowing that Erik has limited range of motion and periodic sharp pains woud benefit his trade status.

As for Eklund, with trade rumors slowing down a bit, he needs to keep as many fans as possible interested which means he has to include all 30 teams in on some trade rumors. If he overheard someone in the next bathroom Staal say the Canes could really use a defenseman, he can label that (e1) and peek the interest of fans in NC. Remember, he is entertainment and in no way affiliated with the NHL. By the way, I like reading his rumors too, passes the time till season.

Throughout the course of the regular season, I would agree that Eklund doesn't know half as much as he thinks he does. However, he has been pretty solid since free agency started. He has called quite a few signings, particularly the Jeff Hamilton to Carolina deal which no one else had even speculated about, and has been pretty consistent throughout.

The only problem with that is we will still have excess defenseman and 1 less forward. If any trade goes down, i'd have to see if has a forward/defenseman for a forward/defenseman. Unless JR is 110% sure that the Rags are gonna buy out Cullen's contract.

Cullen is not going to be bought out. That would count against the Rangers' cap for the next six seasons. They can just send him to the minors and not have any cap hit.

The only problem with that is we will still have excess defenseman and 1 less forward. If any trade goes down, i'd have to see if has a forward/defenseman for a forward/defenseman. Unless JR is 110% sure that the Rags are gonna buy out Cullen's contract.

Perhaps you throw in either Andrew Hutchinson or Dennis Seidenberg and the other team adds a mid-level forward prospect?

I think the best move would be to wait out the New York Rangers with Matt Cullen. Hate to take on his $2+ million contract in a trade only to find out later that he likely would've been released by the Rangers in a week or two. If he is bought out, he would likely give us the first opportunity to sign him at a discount.

Throughout the course of the regular season, I would agree that Eklund doesn't know half as much as he thinks he does. However, he has been pretty solid since free agency started. He has called quite a few signings, particularly the Jeff Hamilton to Carolina deal which no one else had even speculated about, and has been pretty consistent throughout.

Good point.

Kahz, wouldn't he have to be put on waivers since his contract is only at the NHL level? Like KAds was.

Good point.

Kahz, wouldn't he have to be put on waivers since his contract is only at the NHL level? Like KAds was.

Cullen is not going to be bought out. That would count against the Rangers' cap for the next six seasons. They can just send him to the minors and not have any cap hit.

Yes, but if they get desperate enough, they could trade him for cheap.

We all know JR is kicking himself for letting Cullen go. He's said it many times that he messed up on this. If JR can work a trade for Cullen, I do see him doing this, even if his cap hit is like $2.8 million for a 3rd line. Isn't Walker's cap hit $2.5 million? He might just bite the bullet.

We all know JR is kicking himself for letting Cullen go. He's said it many times that he messed up on this. If JR can work a trade for Cullen, I do see him doing this, even if his cap hit is like $2.8 million for a 3rd line. Isn't Walker's cap hit $2.5 million? He might just bite the bullet.

the only way that works is if we can get them to take Hutch, Babs, and letowski.

the only way that works is if we can get them to take Hutch, Babs, and letowski.

The New York Rangers are one of the few teams I could see interested in Babchuk.

I agree it can be a fun diversion reading his stuff but you are exactly right in terms of sources. I think he has a couple semi-legit ones but he just posts chatter about the Canes and other teams where he has no ties.

I will give him credit though for his business model. He insists that you can't hold him accountable for posting what he hears and people pay him for it. ;)

I actually wouldn't be too surprized to see Matt back in the red & black (& white & silver). I had suggested that at the beginning of last season & people on here thought me to be a little crazy for saying it.

I actually wouldn't be too surprized to see Matt back in the red & black (& white & silver). I had suggested that at the beginning of last season & people on here thought me to be a little crazy for saying it.

You are not alone. I suggested in 3 hours ago and some thought it impossible. :lol:

The Rangers need to dump salary and now they've an abundance of C talent. They may be willing to take on baggage (like a disgruntled Russian Dman) to clear cap room. Cullen didn't fit with them. We have pieces we'd like to move. Cullen fit great here and we need exactly what he has to offer. Not sure how we could make the $$$ work, but JR has said over and over again he'd pay for the right player. Considering Todd White got nearly exactly what Cullen is scheduled to make (~2.4 vs. 2.8) but for 4 years instead of 3, I can definitely see it as at least possible.

The fact that JR won't comment on it, but say we are looking for a 3rd line center is curious to say the least.

The fact that JR won't comment on it, but say we are looking for a 3rd line center is curious to say the least.

that tells me he is talking to someone in NY and looking for the right deal.

JR ever said anything of the sort. Here's his exact words:

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/team/app?article...mp;service=page

"RUTHERFORD: The only player that I think that we lost that really had an impact on the team was Matt Cullen. And in sports, it happens everywhere, except maybe with the Yankees, teams can