The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

We need defencemen....how about Hannan from San Jose....solid solid 2 way dman....Kimmo Timmonen from the Hamilton.....er Nashville Predators......stud on the pp....those would be the 2 guys if I am JR I would be going after....btw....how much $$$$ do we have to spend on free agents?

That would depend on Scott Walker and Brett Hedican.

We need defencemen....how about Hannan from San Jose....solid solid 2 way dman....Kimmo Timmonen from the Hamilton.....er Nashville Predators......stud on the pp....those would be the 2 guys if I am JR I would be going after....btw....how much $$$$ do we have to spend on free agents?

That would depend on Scott Walker and Brett Hedican.

I don't want to see Cole go. He's really a one-of-a-kind player in the league and a fan favorite, and it would SUCK to see him leave. That said, if the injuries keep up, it might be a wise idea to let him go for someone who could help us in the long-term. The exact same situation occurred with the Avs involving Adam Deadmarsh. Deader had a similar style of play as Cole (fought a lot more), and was beginning to get concussion problems. Despite the fact that he was very popular among Avs fans, they traded him for Rob Blake. Definitely worked out better for the Avs in the long run.

I'll agree with whoever said that Briere is a first-line center, but Drury, although he can play on the first line, is best suited for the second. Even so, he's most likely going to get first-line money. He'll almost certainly be playing on the first line if he signs with a weaker team.

I could handle Cole being traded but I can't see us moving Williams. Not at all.

If a trade does become necessary, I can see those 2, in that order, going.

Cole because of concern over the hip. Williams because of the late-season drop-off.

Plus, who else is there if not them? Either one would get a top-4 defenseman in return.

From a Canes perspective, there legitimately is concern over Cole's injuries and Williams is locked up relatively cheaply for another 4 years. In that regard, you could see how the Canes would favor Williams. However, from a rival GM's perspective the interest is reversed. That is, Williams would be more attractive in a trade. It has to make sense for both sides.

If it were me though, Cole's unique talents even with the health concerns are worth more than Williams if one of the two had to be traded. I can't think of anybody with Cole's combination of power and speed while I can think of a handful of guys who can replace Williams. People want to talk about Williams' PK contributions but he benefits greatly from playing with Brindy on the first unit. When Brindy was injured the entire PK fell apart so it's hard for me to agree that Williams is the stand-out PKer some think. He's good but hardly great there.

You're unfairly discounting his skill on the PK. He was also used on the PK in Philly and did quite well there, coming to Carolina he's used with Brind'Amour, and there's truth to the saying that "iron sharpens iron", they make eachother better.

What Williams has really picked up in since coming to Carolina is his minutes on the PP, which has translated to goals on the PP. He wasn't getting PP time in Philly, and he wasn't getting much in the way of minutes. Coming to a team like Carolina and getting the kind of minutes he has, has shown that he's capable of a lot more than they thought he was in Philly.

Cole's main problem is that, as talented as he is, he will have a short career and will always be injury-prone. It's due in large part to his playing style. He's great, but it's a touch of the Peter Forsberg paradox. He's a fantastic player when not on IR.

You're unfairly discounting his skill on the PK. He was also used on the PK in Philly and did quite well there, coming to Carolina he's used with Brind'Amour, and there's truth to the saying that "iron sharpens iron", they make eachother better.

What Williams has really picked up in since coming to Carolina is his minutes on the PP, which has translated to goals on the PP. He wasn't getting PP time in Philly, and he wasn't getting much in the way of minutes. Coming to a team like Carolina and getting the kind of minutes he has, has shown that he's capable of a lot more than they thought he was in Philly.

Cole's main problem is that, as talented as he is, he will have a short career and will always be injury-prone. It's due in large part to his playing style. He's great, but it's a touch of the Peter Forsberg paradox. He's a fantastic player when not on IR.

How am I discounting his PK abilities? By saying he is "good" but "not a stand-out." That's a fair call to make on his defensive play. As I already pointed out when Brindy went out for a few games with his groin injury the PK absolutely crumbled. It's fair to say that a two-time Selke winner's absence will affect the PK since he anchors it but it was a disaster. I'm not pinning it all on Williams but as the #2 PK forward it was his opportunity to show what he could do and he didn't do much of anything to support the notion that he benefits greatly from Brindy's presence.

Then when you consider how much of the time they play together, it is tough to ignore that there was a +/- differential of 18 between the two of them. That's huge. I think you are also propping up Williams' PK play in Philly somewhat. He was a bit player on their PK. Your point about his PP contributions is true, as it is for Cole as well.

I think you may be right about Cole constantly getting hurt, but I still think his x-factor - when healthy - is better than what Williams brings and harder to replace.

Brind'Amour and LaRose pretty much define our PK. Williams is good at it, but not great (as stormrider says). Brind'Amour's a one-man PK unit and LaRose is the Clearmeister.

I won't go so far as to say LaRose is better than Williams, but you are right in that he is outstanding at making strong clears on the PK.

However, he is on the second unit which usually means he is going against a second unit PP so even with his improved play, I wouldn't rate him above Williams. LaRose sometimes still gets too aggressive and out of position but he could teach Williams a thing or two about getting the puck out of the zone without hesitation rather than making a more casual clear.

Here' the two rumors that I heard tonight:

Walker is going to sign and it will be announced prior to July 1, actually the guy said that he was surprised that it had not been announced already this week.

Arron Ward wants to come back to the Hurricanes. I didn't get it if they were trying to work it out or if was just AAron's wish. Sorry that I didn't get more into it.

These rumors are actually from a pretty good source, but they are just rumors. We will see. If they do happen, remember that you heard it here first!

cheap

Walker is going to sign and it will be announced prior to July 1, actually the guy said that he was surprised that it had not been announced already this week.

Arron Ward wants to come back to the Hurricanes. I didn't get it if they were trying to work it out or if was just AAron's wish. Sorry that I didn't get more into it.

These rumors are actually from a pretty good source, but they are just rumors. We will see. If they do happen, remember that you heard it here first!

cheap

I sure hope you're right about Walker. As for Ward, no thanks at his current salary.

I wouldn't mind having either back. Ward's continuously hinted at not being happy in Boston. And while it probably wouldn't fix our defensive woes, it'd help.

I wouldn't mind having either back. Ward's continuously hinted at not being happy in Boston. And while it probably wouldn't fix our defensive woes, it'd help.

I think he'd help too, but not enough to be worth $2.75 million. I can't believe the rags for Mara for him.

Well obviously, if he wants to play for Carolina, he's got to understand the situation we're in here, and he would hopefully be ok with taking a paycut.

I think it would be good to get A.Ward back, but what would we have to give up to get him? I was watching game 7, and I mentioned the names of players that played important roles that were no longer here. K. Adams, Recchi, Cullen, A.Ward were all playing at very high levels, and left behind large holes to fill.

Well obviously, if he wants to play for Carolina, he's got to understand the situation we're in here, and he would hopefully be ok with taking a paycut.

he is under contract so a paycut is not an option unless Boston were to buy him out which i doubt. if Hedican will retire then there is most of the money. the only other option would be for us to trade for him with the understanding that we will renegotiate the contract, maybe give him an extra year or two.

cheap

I sure hope you're right about Walker. As for Ward, no thanks at his current salary.

Well, you just got your wish about Walker... just re-signed today for 3 years, $2.5 mill per year

Props to cheapseats for the advance on this signing. I still hope you're wrong about Ward, though haha

Good signing. I don't feel that's too much money for all that he brings. It's just a matter of whether or not he can stay healthy. If he can then it's a great price for him. Now to land that third line centre. I wouldn't mind Nylander if he doesn't exercise his player option in New York. Then we could have two former whalers on the team! Other guys I'm interested in are Stumpel and White. Preferably Nylander or Stumpel, though. I just feel they bring more in terms of offense.

Any of our capologists know what figure this puts us at (with and without Hedicans salary)?

About $2.3 million left to spend. Looks like we may not find that upgrade on defense unless we make some deals on draft day.

we still have hedican's 2.4 if he decides to retire.

About $2.3 million left to spend. Looks like we may not find that upgrade on defense unless we make some deals on draft day.

we still have hedican's 2.4 if he decides to retire.

That would help, although we still likely wouldn't be able to find a solid third-line center and above average defenseman with that money. I'd put both Dennis Seidenberg and Niclas Wallin on the trade block.