The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Here we go again...

HURRICANES STILL SEEKING A CENTRE.

RALEIGH NEWS & OBSERVER: Luke DeCock reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford is still in the market for a third line center. Having signed UFA centre Jeff Hamilton last week, it's believed Rutherford would prefer to use Hamilton in a utility role and perhaps move disgruntled d-man Anton Babchuk in a trade for that third line centre. Rutherford also claims the deal to shake up his blueline reported two weeks ago is still alive, if not active. It was said to involve 'Canes blueliner Niclas Wallin.

Spector's note: Hat tip to GJ Berg and "Matt T." Interesting bit about that supposed trade. It was believed to be with the Flyers for Joni Pitkanen but with his move to Edmonton it obviously doesn't involve him.

I am thinking the Canes are going to get Matt Cullen back from the Rangers. The Rangers are trying to clear some cap space so they can possibly sign Souray. With the Drury and Gomez signing, Cullen is expendable.

I would feel like Eklund, but he is never right...

Actually he is more right than wrong, you have to remember he is keeping up with 730 players on 30 teams so every once in a while you will get it wrong. Plus we don't know the agenda of his sources.

Eklund has a small blurb about a blockbuster trade involving the Oil....

Cole's name is mentioned yet again...although he does state that if this is a new deal that it likely doesn't involve Erik.

Oh yeah from Friday's blog: possible destinations for Peca...Canes? I don't know about that! :lol:

UDC

I think, people are over looking Williams... He signed a 5 year contract with us. I think, he is going to be the next captain. Most of the times, the press intereviews Williams in the locker room.

I hope, that Cole stays here after his contract is up but I would not hold my breath on it, the same with Staal. They both maybe looking at NC and Raleigh and saying this is the place where we want to raise our families. Unlike, Gomez in NY who is not married yet with kids...

I don't think we'll keep both after their current contracts expire, but I also don't think we'll lose both. Both Cole and Staal could be considered "franchise players" for what they're able to do on the ice. Eric Staal clearly is this franchise's future, so I think he'll be the main offseason focus. Someone will pay Erik Cole the type of money he deserves, hopefully it isn't anyone else in the Eastern Conference.

More possible destinations for the Free Agents who are left. Where does Eklund come up with some of this:

From Eklund, posting current Canes and who according to Ek, Carolina is interested in:

David Tanabe (NY Islanders, NJ, Pitt, Carolina )

-this is understandable cause if Hedican does decide to retire, I wouldn't be surprised to see JR sign him.

Jussi Markkanen (Carolina, Columbus, Phoenix, Dallas)

-why do we need another goalie?

Ed Belfour (Ottawa, Minnesota, Carolina)

-see Markkanen

Jeff O'Neill (Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Carolina)

-why, just why?

Ex-Canes possible destinations:

Josef Vasicek (NYI, Buffalo, NJ, Columbus, Dallas)

Anson Carter (Colorado, Washington, Buffalo, Atlanta)

More possible destinations for the Free Agents who are left. Where does Eklund come up with some of this:

From Eklund, posting current Canes and who according to Ek, Carolina is interested in:

David Tanabe (NY Islanders, NJ, Pitt, Carolina )

-this is understandable cause if Hedican does decide to retire, I wouldn't be surprised to see JR sign him.

Jussi Markkanen (Carolina, Columbus, Phoenix, Dallas)

-why do we need another goalie?

Ed Belfour (Ottawa, Minnesota, Carolina)

-see Markkanen

Jeff O'Neill (Boston, Buffalo, Florida, Carolina)

-why, just why?

Ex-Canes possible destinations:

Josef Vasicek (NYI, Buffalo, NJ, Columbus, Dallas)

Anson Carter (Colorado, Washington, Buffalo, Atlanta)

as much as I like Eklund, none of these makes sense - not even Tanabe.

UPDATED 3:13PM: PECA OFFERS

Peca is currently in talks with the Leafs...other offers Peca has include Carolina and the Rangers....

This makes absolutly no freakin sense unless its gonna be a sign and trade.

Sign Michael Peca, move Matt Cullen to winger, and trade Erik Cole. That would seem to be the possible move if all of Eklund's recent rumors are true.

Sign Michael Peca, move Matt Cullen to winger, and trade Erik Cole. That would seem to be the possible move if all of Eklund's recent rumors are true.

XM is reporting that Peca is close to re-signing with Toronto if Scott Boras doesn't get overly greedy. They're just waiting till they figure out what to do with Raycroft.

XM is reporting that Peca is close to re-signing with Toronto if Scott Boras doesn't get overly greedy. They're just waiting till they figure out what to do with Raycroft.

While that would be possible as an explanation, I certainly hope it is not true! Even if a big splash D-man is a by-product of these moves, to me it wouldn't be worth it as I don't see Peca as any kind of fit for this team's style of play.

While that would be possible as an explanation, I certainly hope it is not true! Even if a big splash D-man is a by-product of these moves, to me it wouldn't be worth it as I don't see Peca as any kind of fit for this team's style of play.

I agree. And not only that Cullen plays much better at center than wing.

His drop off when he was here before was b/c he was playing wing so Weight could center the 3rd line. When Cullen was put back at center, he was the best player on the ice in Game 7. He needs to stay at center.

Latest from DeCock's blog:

The way the Hurricanes' roster looks now, they're ready for Opening Night. They have 13 forwards, seven defensemen and two goalies (three, really) under contract and are only slightly over budget at $44.7 million.

They have some minor-league depth in guys like rough-and-tumble defenseman Wade Brookbank -- on call in Albany for any anticipated shenanigans at the NHL level -- and forwards Keith Aucoin and David Gove. Goalie Michael Leighton is an NHL-quality backup as well.

But I'd be surprised if this is how things look on Oct. 3.

For one thing, Hurricanes coach Peter Laviolette usually prefers to carry eight defensemen. The Canes only have payroll room for one extra player, and my guess is they'd rather it be a defenseman than a forward with all the uncertainty surrounding Bret Hedican's health and Glen Wesley being 39 and all.

Between Matt Cullen's return and Jeff Hamilton's signing, Trevor Letowski has slipped down the depth chart into a group of four on the fourth line. Hamilton, obviously, will play. That leaves two spots for Letowski, Craig Adams and Chad LaRose. Both Adams and LaRose make less than Letowski's $800,000.

You don't have to be an NHL general manager to figure out where this is headed.

While the Canes were high on Letowski last summer -- and he's a good guy who works hard, victim of the kind of hit (by Colby Armstrong) that I don't think should be a part of the game -- he's the guy who will have to go if the Canes want to add a defenseman. Unfortunately, he doesn't have much trade value, or he would have been included in the Cullen deal.

So unless the Canes can find a destination for Letowski, there's no way to bring back, say, David Tanabe, who earned a raise over the $900,000 he made last season but hasn't found any takers on the open market. At this point, he might be willing to come back for $1 million (or less, as the summer goes on). With Letowski's salary off the books, the Canes might be willing to stomach that.

Here goes my speculation:

We can't trade Letowski for a defenseman, he just doesn't have any value. We need to find a team that needs a 3rd or 4th line winger and give them Letowski for a pick or prospect. Only problem, teams know we need to unleash his salary so its easier said than done.

If we can do this, then that frees up $800K. I recall Tanabe saying that he appreciated JR giving him a second chance and would like to remain on the team. Tanabe could sign for $1M. Latest I heard was that Pittsburgh gave him an offer for $900K and he wanted to think about it.

Eklund has us back as a possible destination for Tanabe. Honestly, if Letowski is unloaded and Tanabe isn't signed it, I bet he's back in Carolina.

Tanabe could sign for $1M. Latest I heard was that Pittsburgh gave him an offer for $900K and he wanted to think about it.

David could help us from a depth perspective but if the Pens offered him 900K, he would be a fool not to take it.

Yes, its being resurfaced yet again, from our buddy Ek:

A source that just called me said that he expects Danny Markov to be signed "by Saturday" and indicated that the Sharks, Bruins, Sabres and Hurricanes are all possibilities

Yes, its being resurfaced yet again, from our buddy Ek:

A source that just called me said that he expects Danny Markov to be signed "by Saturday" and indicated that the Sharks, Bruins, Sabres and Hurricanes are all possibilities

If he's affordable, I'd rather see Danny Markov signed than other names that have been mentioned in this thread.

Can't believe Markov wasn't signed yet, guess he didn't mind waiting. No complaints if canes sign him but i think sharks will get him, they need him after losing Hannan.

His big issues was his price, reported at $3mil!! If he is less than that and Hedican hangs up the skates then he is worth looking at.

If we're last in the line of teams rumored by Ecklund, its unlikely he's coming here. Besides, Forslund and JR were very clear that nothing can and will be done until camp starts and they see what happens with Hedican.

Don't look for any upgrades, insurance policies, whatever you want to call it coming before camp...This situation will need time to play itself out, that my friends is the hockey business.-John Forslund

If we're last in the line of teams rumored by Ecklund, its unlikely he's coming here. Besides, Forslund and JR were very clear that nothing can and will be done until camp starts and they see what happens with Hedican.

Don't look for any upgrades, insurance policies, whatever you want to call it coming before camp...This situation will need time to play itself out, that my friends is the hockey business.-John Forslund

If Eklund is correct, this should play itself out by Saturday one way or the other.

His big issues was his price, reported at $3mil!! If he is less than that and Hedican hangs up the skates then he is worth looking at.

I agree. If Hedican hangs them up and he will sign for his price ($2.4M) or lower, I wouldn't mind giving him another shot. He might fit as the QB on our 2nd PP unit. However, I'm still a little weary about him cause he does like to throw the Russian card out there alot. But if Hedican is retiring, then he would't be a bad option.

If we do sign him, then I would think JR knows that Hedican is hanging them up. He just won't go over the budget.