The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Here's a pretty good article talking about the possible trade of Nic Wallin and him not waiving his NTC. Pure professionalism on both sides, but that's really no surprise, this organization does respect their players:

RALEIGH - Niclas Wallin returned to the Triangle this week with some trepidation. In June, when the Carolina Hurricanes approached the defenseman about waiving his no-trade clause, Wallin said no.

That left him wondering how he would be received this fall. Did he merely take advantage of his contractual rights? Or was he putting himself ahead of the team?

"I was worried I'd walk in here and have somebody looking bad at me," Wallin said. "I'm not that guy. I don't want that to happen."

So he met with coach Peter Laviolette on Thursday, hoping to be reassured of his position within the team. Wallin called it "a good talk." Laviolette called it "a great chat."

"It was never about Nick and not wanting him or feeling like he couldn't do the job," Laviolette said. "He's a top-four defenseman. He's a horse. He plays against the other team's best players. In our conversation, I just wanted to clarify he knew that."

Team general manager Jim Rutherford went into the draft openly seeking an offensive-minded defenseman and came out with a deal on the table. Wallin, dependable and affordable, was his most marketable asset. One rumor had Wallin going to the Philadelphia Flyers for Joni Pitkanen. Another had him going to the San Jose Sharks for Christian Ehrhoff.

It was a difficult time for the 32-year-old Swede, who mulled a return home after Carolina won the Stanley Cup in 2006. He stayed in part because the team offered the no-trade clause as part of a four-year, $6.9 million contract.

That guaranteed he wouldn't have to uproot his family to a different part of a continent, one that after six years still often remained a strange place to someone who grew up in a village of 400 people not far from the Arctic Circle.

"He finally got that no-trade," defenseman Glen Wesley said. "If he didn't have that, it could have been a completely different situation. He had some say in it. That's great. It's why you pay your dues."

All Wallin will say about the situation is that he wasn't interested.

"He was well within his rights," Rutherford said. "Part of players wanting no-trade clauses is because they like it where they are and they don't want to move. Part of us giving them is because we had extra respect for what they've done and can do for us.

"It had nothing to do with him personally or as a player."

When Wallin turned down the deal, the Hurricanes brought in two forwards who play the point on the power play -- Matt Cullen and Jeff Hamilton.

And the Canes are going to need Wallin, with Bret Hedican trying to come back from hip and back injuries and Frantisek Kaberle recovering from minor knee surgery. That leaves only five healthy bodies on the blue line.

"I'm here now, and I'm happy," Wallin said. "When I said no, that was it. That was the end of it. It is business, and we're moving forward. I want to win the Cup and we've got a team that can do it."

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/story/687880.html

Only person who should get dirty looks is JR. Why would you give Wallin a no trade clause? He's dependable but he's not that great.

If the rumors are true and we missed out on the youngins Pitkanen or Ehrhoff only one to be mad at is JR. But in all likelyhood we woulda either lost a good pick or Ladd in that deal. Which to some Ladd is great but not so much to me.

Here is another from 'theforthperiod.com'...

Wallin at ease after rejecting trade

Hurricanes defenseman Niclas Wallin was the subject of many trade rumors during the off-season and was wondering how he would be received this fall, reports the Raleigh News & Observer.

Wallin returned to the team for the first time since refusing to waive his no-trade clause in June.

According to the paper, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford tried to acquire an offensive-minded defenseman during the draft and came out with a deal on the table that included Wallin. One rumor had Wallin going to the Philadelphia Flyers for Joni Pitkanen, while another had him heading to the San Jose Sharks for Christian Ehrhoff.

"I was worried I'd walk in here and have somebody looking bad at me," Wallin told the News & Observer. "I'm not that guy. I don't want that to happen."

Wallin, who wasn't interested in the move, met with head coach Peter Laviolette on Thursday and called it "a good talk." Laviolette called it "a great chat."

"I'm here now, and I'm happy," Wallin said. "When I said no, that was it. That was the end of it. It is business, and we're moving forward. I want to win the Cup and we've got a team that can do it."

I am glad to see he is staying! I like Wallin and he is the silent assassin even though he did score on our own empty net....LOL

Only person who should get dirty looks is JR. Why would you give Wallin a no trade clause? He's dependable but he's not that great.

If the rumors are true and we missed out on the youngins Pitkanen or Ehrhoff only one to be mad at is JR. But in all likelyhood we woulda either lost a good pick or Ladd in that deal. Which to some Ladd is great but not so much to me.

However, if JR hadn't given Wallin that no-trade clause, he probably would've returned to Sweden. He's said all along that he doesn't want to play for any other NHL team. JR shouldn't get any dirty looks at all. I don't understand what he did wrong. Rutherford is one of the best GMs in this league and I hope everyone realizes it.

Personally, I find it really encouraging that we have guys here that don't want to be traded to another team. For those of us that've been following the Canes since the early days, this is a big deal. At one time, guys couldn't wait to get out of here; now we have players hoping to be traded here and wanting to stay.

I like Wallin. He is a big part of the team chemistry and he gives his all every night. He isn't flashy, but good defensive defensemen shouldn't be flashy.

It's alright to like him as a person and respect his loyalty to the Hurricanes, but Niclas Wallin isn't the kind of player a team should bend over backwards to accomodate.

It's alright to like him as a person and respect his loyalty to the Hurricanes, but Niclas Wallin isn't the kind of player a team should bend over backwards to accomodate.

Apparently you are wrong!! This team did!!

Just because we did it doesn't mean it was the right move to make.

Exactly. That type of treatment should be reserved for talent like Markus Naslund and Peter Forsberg, not Niclas Wallin.

But isn't that something you should take up with JR and not bash Nic for??

If the only two options Wallin gave Rutherford were no-trade-clause or he'll return to Sweden, then some of the blame does fall on Wallin. Who is he to ask for those type of contract stipulations?

Wallin was going back to Sweden after 05-06. That was the plan all along. But JR gave him a surprisingly generous offer to stay, so Nic agreed to come back.

There should be zero controversy here. No one is to blame. The whole idea of a no-trade clause is to make things like this go smoothly. It's done now. Moving on. No use dwelling on what could have been.

If the only two options Wallin gave Rutherford were no-trade-clause or he'll return to Sweden, then some of the blame does fall on Wallin. Who is he to ask for those type of contract stipulations?

So you give JR a free pass for giving it to him?? Give me a break!! Wallin wanted a no trade clause because he likes this area. He has young kids!! If JR wanted the flexibility to trade him he could have said no and signed someone else. Apparently JR thought he was worth the no trade clause, guess JR didn't clear it with you first.

Its not always about the flashiest players or the big time name players like a Naslund or Forsberg. We drafted Nic and he has always been a hard working lay it out on the line type of player for us every game. Just because he doesnt get alot of media attention does not mean he doesnt play a huge part of this team. Its not always on the ice either you have to look at how a player represents this team off the ice like Brindy. He likes the area he helped us win the cup (Goal against NJ in OT) and coach said that he and Gleason have great chemistry on the same line so Im glad he's stayin put!

So you give JR a free pass for giving it to him?? Give me a break!! Wallin wanted a no trade clause because he likes this area. He has young kids!! If JR wanted the flexibility to trade him he could have said no and signed someone else. Apparently JR thought he was worth the no trade clause, guess JR didn't clear it with you first.

I don't give Jim Rutherford a free pass, it is yet another mistake he has made that will be blindly defended by fans like yourself. I think it was an idiotic move to give a player the caliber of Niclas Wallin the ability to dictate his own contract. If we'll bend over backwards for a player as insignificant as Wallin, what will we when our talented players need new contracts?

I also like the "he loves North Carolina" defense. He "LOVED" it so much that he threatened to return to Sweden. That's just selfishness on the part of Wallin. "I don't want to have to move in the middle of the year, so if you can't promise that I'll be in one spot for an extended period of time I'll just return to my home country."

Wallin had been planning to return to Sweden all along. He didn't threaten anything. JR offered the contract, longterm and with the NTC in order to retain his services. Read the Wallin's part of the SC Journal. Spinning the circumstances to emphasis one side of an argument won't help with your credibility.

Is this how we treat Nick "Sudden death" Wallin, with his clutch scoring in the playoffs. what is it 3 OT goals?

Honestly though, I don't think he's as easily replaceable as people think he is. No problem with the no trade clause cause I don't see the need to trade him. If he is no longer wanted here he'd just retire and go back to sweden.

I don't give Jim Rutherford a free pass, it is yet another mistake he has made that will be blindly defended by fans like yourself. I think it was an idiotic move to give a player the caliber of Niclas Wallin the ability to dictate his own contract. If we'll bend over backwards for a player as insignificant as Wallin, what will we when our talented players need new contracts?

I also like the "he loves North Carolina" defense. He "LOVED" it so much that he threatened to return to Sweden. That's just selfishness on the part of Wallin. "I don't want to have to move in the middle of the year, so if you can't promise that I'll be in one spot for an extended period of time I'll just return to my home country."

then maybe you need to become a fan of another team, afterall based on your "expert" assessment we as a team suck, our fans suck, and our GM sucks. The only person you haven't bashed that I can remember is PK but I am sure that will happen any day now because you will eventually run out of people to bash. I am amazed I haven't heard from my ticket rep yet to be told that you have had my season ticket holder account revoked.

He threatened to go back to Sweden, eh? Didn't know you were part of the contract negotiations, JustJoe. It was well publicized that he wanted to return to his home with his wife and young daughter and raise her there. Anyone who can find fault in that has something wrong with them.

He threatened to go back to Sweden, eh? Didn't know you were part of the contract negotiations, JustJoe. It was well publicized that he wanted to return to his home with his wife and young daughter and raise her there. Anyone who can find fault in that has something wrong with them.

Some people can't understand that!

Oh I see, so he said "promise I will stay with one team or I'll just return to Sweden." Don't see how I could misunderstand that as a threat to return home. My bad.

His selfishness when he signed his contract forced this team to spend more money this offseason. At this point, it will take an extended run in the playoffs for this franchise to even hope to break even. Thanks Niclas Wallin, glad you like it in North Carolina.

Whether or not your contracted players like the city they play in is all that matters in the business of hockey anyway.

Oh I see, so he said "promise I will stay with one team or I'll just return to Sweden." Don't see how I could misunderstand that as a threat to return home. My bad.

His selfishness when he signed his contract forced this team to spend more money this offseason. At this point, it will take an extended run in the playoffs for this franchise to even hope to break even. Thanks Niclas Wallin, glad you like it in North Carolina.

Whether or not your contracted players like the city they play in is all that matters in the business of hockey anyway.

Your whole premise rests on Wallin using the return to Sweden as negotiating leverage. It wasn't. The fact is that he was all set to head home and informed the Canes of his decision. He was a UFA and didn't entertain offers from any NHL clubs.

Rutherford and company didn't want to lose him so they pursued him aggressively and felt the NTC was a fair trade-off vs. losing him. His contract hasn't caused the Canes to spend more this offseason. His deal is actually very attractive and one reason why teams were interested. If he had been traded for Pitkanen - thankfully he is Edmonton's problem - that would have required more payroll.

Selfishness? I'd hardly call it that. Wanting job stability so his family won't be uprooted from the place where they've lived for the past several years is selfishness? Think of Anson Carter, who's played for 7 NHL teams in the course of his career. Think about how many times he's had to move his family because of those trades.

Wallin has the right to negotiate the terms of his contract with JR. JR seems to think that Wallin is obviously an important part of our blueline Besides, what's done is done, and there's nothing we can do to change that.

I also think it was a good idea to give Wallin the NTC. Another issue is that we have some young D-men on the team, and with Wesley and Hedican soon retiring, we need a stable veteran to mentor them. His playoff and SC experience is very valuable to the younger players.

Your whole premise rests on Wallin using the return to Sweden as negotiating leverage. It wasn't. The fact is that he was all set to head home and informed the Canes of his decision. He was a UFA and didn't entertain offers from any NHL clubs.

Rutherford and company didn't want to lose him so they pursued him aggressively and felt the NTC was a fair trade-off vs. losing him. His contract hasn't caused the Canes to spend more this offseason. His deal is actually very attractive and one reason why teams were interested. If he had been traded for Pitkanen - thankfully he is Edmonton's problem - that would have required more payroll.

Joni Pitkanen would have also eliminated the need for Matt Cullen which would have saved this team money. There are plenty of players in the NHL that move more than they want to. There are plenty of players that do this that are more talented than Niclas Wallin. If they don't warrant a no-trade-clause, Wallin certainly doesn't. I just think it was a mistake on both guy's parts. It is done and it can't be changed. Doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. Especially if Pitkanen lights it up on the powerplay in Edmonton and we continue to struggle to get any consistency.

You don't talk, you whine and bellyache like it cost you money. You are probably not even a STH!! It was a good move for both the club and Wallin, I don't blame him for not wanting to go to Philadelphia - I wouldn't go. You also minimize that he made his decision with what was in the best interest of HIS FAMILY!! Is it really that difficult to understand??