The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

He threatened to go back to Sweden, eh? Didn't know you were part of the contract negotiations, JustJoe. It was well publicized that he wanted to return to his home with his wife and young daughter and raise her there. Anyone who can find fault in that has something wrong with them.

Oh I see, so he said "promise I will stay with one team or I'll just return to Sweden." Don't see how I could misunderstand that as a threat to return home. My bad.

His selfishness when he signed his contract forced this team to spend more money this offseason. At this point, it will take an extended run in the playoffs for this franchise to even hope to break even. Thanks Niclas Wallin, glad you like it in North Carolina.

Whether or not your contracted players like the city they play in is all that matters in the business of hockey anyway.

Your whole premise rests on Wallin using the return to Sweden as negotiating leverage. It wasn't. The fact is that he was all set to head home and informed the Canes of his decision. He was a UFA and didn't entertain offers from any NHL clubs.

Rutherford and company didn't want to lose him so they pursued him aggressively and felt the NTC was a fair trade-off vs. losing him. His contract hasn't caused the Canes to spend more this offseason. His deal is actually very attractive and one reason why teams were interested. If he had been traded for Pitkanen - thankfully he is Edmonton's problem - that would have required more payroll.

Joni Pitkanen would have also eliminated the need for Matt Cullen which would have saved this team money. There are plenty of players in the NHL that move more than they want to. There are plenty of players that do this that are more talented than Niclas Wallin. If they don't warrant a no-trade-clause, Wallin certainly doesn't. I just think it was a mistake on both guy's parts. It is done and it can't be changed. Doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. Especially if Pitkanen lights it up on the powerplay in Edmonton and we continue to struggle to get any consistency.

Pitkanen would not have eliminated the need for Matt Cullen. Lavi always plays, except late in a game while protecting a lead, one D and one F on the point on the PP. Cullen was brought in primarily to give the 3rd line a boost and also to help on the PP but it didn't eliminate the need for a puck-moving Dman and a legit point-D for the PP. Pitkanen would have been on the first PP unit along with Cullen, who would still have been re-acquired.

Wallin's situation was unique. It's not as if he was a top echelon player who demanded on. He was on his way back and home and that's what JR needed to do to keep him. It's really not that big a deal.

Pitkanen would not have eliminated the need for Matt Cullen. Lavi always plays, except late in a game while protecting a lead, one D and one F on the point on the PP. Cullen was brought in primarily to give the 3rd line a boost and also to help on the PP but it didn't eliminate the need for a puck-moving Dman and a legit point-D for the PP. Pitkanen would have been on the first PP unit along with Cullen, who would still have been re-acquired.

Wallin's situation was unique. It's not as if he was a top echelon player who demanded on. He was on his way back and home and that's what JR needed to do to keep him. It's really not that big a deal.

That is what I don't think he (JustJoe) understands. Nic not waiving his NTC in no way has impacted our chances this season. We are still well below the cap and if the need arises then I am sure JR will do something. Right now he is waiting for camp to start to see which Hedican returns, based on that then he will decide if he needs to pull the plug on a deal.

Joni Pitkanen would have also eliminated the need for Matt Cullen which would have saved this team money. There are plenty of players in the NHL that move more than they want to. There are plenty of players that do this that are more talented than Niclas Wallin. If they don't warrant a no-trade-clause, Wallin certainly doesn't. I just think it was a mistake on both guy's parts. It is done and it can't be changed. Doesn't mean we can't still talk about it. Especially if Pitkanen lights it up on the powerplay in Edmonton and we continue to struggle to get any consistency.

That is such ridiculous logic. You really can't make that comparison. Each of those players has a different situation and means something different to their individual teams. You can't say because someone better than Wallin didn't get a no trade clause then he shouldn't either. Do you understand the whole concept of an NTC because it doesn't seem like it. It's not specifically reserved for superstars. Wallin was not being selfish in asking for one.

No-trade clauses are not limited to superstars. Mike Grier has one. So do the likes of Colin White, Kris Draper, Martin Rucinsky and Bryan Smolinski.

The idea that Wallin alone could have fetched Pitkanen is absurd. Pitkanen being involved in this trade was merely DeCock's speculation (he now calls it a "rumor", and also notes one about Ehrhoff) and even he never suggested that it was a straight-up swap. In fact, Rutherford said the trade was still alive after Pitkanen was traded to Edmonton, which would indicate that he was not the the target.

Pitkanen, along with a salary dump in Sanderson, ended up being traded for Smith (better than Wallin) and Lupul (23-year old winger who scored 28 goals two seasons ago). Why in the world would Philadelphia have accepted Wallin when they had a significantly better offer on the table?

my take on this is if we didnt give wallin a ntc then we wouldnt have signed him so we wouldnt have him to trade to philly anyway which makes this whole thing a mute point.

Saved for the next best post of the month contest^^^^^

my take on this is if we didnt give wallin a ntc then we wouldnt have signed him so we wouldnt have him to trade to philly anyway which makes this whole thing a mute point.

Saved for the next best post of the month contest^^^^^

.. It was well publicized that he wanted to return to his home with his wife and young daughter and raise her there. Anyone who can find fault in that has something wrong with them.

During the first round of the 2002-03 postseason, the Ducks had a similar situation when left winger Patric Kjellberg left very suddenly for Sweden to re-join his wife and young family. There was worried speculation that something tragic had happened to someone in his close family; after all, only four months earlier, Gerbs had left the club to head back to Switzerland to spend time with his mother, who lost her battle with breast cancer in December 2002.

Similarly, immediately after the 2002-03 season came to a close, Duck defenseman Fredrik Olausson called it an NHL career rather abruptly, despite the fact that he'd enjoyed a renaissance as one of Anaheim's mentors for its many younger players on the roster. Again, talk that one of his parents in Sweden had suddenly become gravely ill swirled around the Ducks for a while, although no word to this day has emerged about what happened to the popular, well-liked guy called "Freddy." (Footnote: He spent the last three seasons of his active playing career with HV 71, a Swedish Elite League team.) In short, Duck fans have seen this scenario several times over during the last few years -- that's why fans here, as small as they are in number, tend to have a pretty good level of understanding and compassion for the players and their families.

I met Nic after a practice during my visit to Canesville in March '06, and found him to be a kind, gentle individual who's rather generous with his time. Here's hoping all is well with him and his family.

But back to the thread's topic: Who's likely to be cut? Traded? Fill me in, folks!

Jan/GSBG

He threatened to go back to Sweden, eh? Didn't know you were part of the contract negotiations, JustJoe. It was well publicized that he wanted to return to his home with his wife and young daughter and raise her there. Anyone who can find fault in that has something wrong with them.

Oh I see, so he said "promise I will stay with one team or I'll just return to Sweden." Don't see how I could misunderstand that as a threat to return home. My bad.

His selfishness when he signed his contract forced this team to spend more money this offseason. At this point, it will take an extended run in the playoffs for this franchise to even hope to break even. Thanks Niclas Wallin, glad you like it in North Carolina.

Whether or not your contracted players like the city they play in is all that matters in the business of hockey anyway.

Your whole premise rests on Wallin using the return to Sweden as negotiating leverage. It wasn't. The fact is that he was all set to head home and informed the Canes of his decision. He was a UFA and didn't entertain offers from any NHL clubs.

Rutherford and company didn't want to lose him so they pursued him aggressively and felt the NTC was a fair trade-off vs. losing him. His contract hasn't caused the Canes to spend more this offseason. His deal is actually very attractive and one reason why teams were interested. If he had been traded for Pitkanen - thankfully he is Edmonton's problem - that would have required more payroll.

That's funny, how are Pitkanen and Cullen related in anyway in terms of player types. If even 60% of the reasoning ebhind matt coming back was the power play issue, then I think J.R. didn't make the wisest move. Pitkanen would't win faceoffs , Pitkanen wouldn't help the Canes in the shootout, Pitkanen hasn't played with a captain like Rod brind' amour and a coach like Laviolette. Sure Cullen helps the PP a bit, but its not like he's gonna raise it an extra 10%. Cullen is a complete player since he returned from NY, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some PK time as well.

That's funny, how are Pitkanen and Cullen related in anyway in terms of player types. If even 60% of the reasoning ebhind matt coming back was the power play issue, then I think J.R. didn't make the wisest move. Pitkanen would't win faceoffs , Pitkanen wouldn't help the Canes in the shootout, Pitkanen hasn't played with a captain like Rod brind' amour and a coach like Laviolette. Sure Cullen helps the PP a bit, but its not like he's gonna raise it an extra 10%. Cullen is a complete player since he returned from NY, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him get some PK time as well.

Considering he's a regular pk'er I wouldn't be either haha

All excellent points given there. Plus, JustJoe seems to be forgetting that Cullen's better defensively than Pitkanen... :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm actually being serious there.

Considering he's a regular pk'er I wouldn't be either haha

Though I think he will play on the 2nd unit PK, I think the original point was that he was never a regular PKer in Carolina. He could fill a void on the 2nd unit since he is a true center and has good counter attack capabilities.

Even if he plays situationally, like Staal did on the PK during the Cup year when he got 4 short-handed goals, it would be a nice added value. PK scoring for the Canes dropped way off last year.

Selfish, are you freakin kidding me. Everyone, well most everyone, knew his plans were to return to Swedan to be with his family. He wasn't entertaining any offers from any NHL club. JR didn't want to loose him, therefore, gave him a contract with the NTC to ensure Wallin that he would not be traded unless he gives the go ahead. Wallin was no where selfish, you're just clueless.

With Hedican/Wesley pretty much retiring after this year, you'll be happy we have a veteran like Wallin still on the team. We are going to need him next year and be a leader for the young guys. Pitkanen is no where close to being a leader. Not only that you wouldn't be getting Erhoff or Pitkanen straight up for Wallin either. You would be loosing a forward in the process.

Selfish, are you freakin kidding me. Everyone, well most everyone, knew his plans were to return to Swedan to be with his family. He wasn't entertaining any offers from any NHL club. JR didn't want to loose him, therefore, gave him a contract with the NTC to ensure Wallin that he would not be traded unless he gives the go ahead. Wallin was no where selfish, you're just clueless.

With Hedican/Wesley pretty much retiring after this year, you'll be happy we have a veteran like Wallin still on the team. We are going to need him next year and be a leader for the young guys. Pitkanen is no where close to being a leader. Not only that you wouldn't be getting Erhoff or Pitkanen straight up for Wallin either. You would be loosing a forward in the process.

Thanks for the insults. Clueless, eh? Maybe try reading a full post before responding. Now you're the one who looks clueless.

Thanks for the insults. Clueless, eh? Maybe try reading a full post before responding. Now you're the one who looks clueless.

I'm assuming that was directed at JustJoe, not you...

Eklunds rumor mill..... Stillman for Matt Greene from the Oilers.....No idea who Matt Greene is. I just thought it was interesting since this is the first time I have heard Cory's name being mentioned.

Eklunds rumor mill..... Stillman for Matt Greene from the Oilers.....No idea who Matt Greene is. I just thought it was interesting since this is the first time I have heard Cory's name being mentioned.

Assets: Owns impressive size and strength, and loves to initiate contact in the defensive zone. Should become a stabilizing force in the NHL with more experience.

Flaws: Doesn't have a lot of offensive upside, and will mainly stick as a stay-at-home blueliner. Still needs to get better with his footwork.

Career potential: Top four defenseman.

Definetly interesting. Lavi does like to carry 8 defenseman so he can play 7. We have excess in forwards and their salaries are pretty close, Greene being a bit cheaper (1.25M)and an RFA after the 2009 season. We will need D after this season pretty bad.

It'll be interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.

Do we know if Cory has a NTC??

I believe No.

There was no need to offer him one as at the time we were the only team interested in him.

I believe the only ones with a NTC are: Walker, Hedican, Wallin, and I want to say Whitney but I'm not 100%.

I believe No.

There was no need to offer him one as at the time we were the only team interested in him.

I believe the only ones with a NTC are: Walker, Hedican, Wallin, and I want to say Whitney but I'm not 100%.

Don't know that i want Stillman gone but i can see him being a real benefit to the Oil. Veteran leadership plus he is a UFA after the season and we could still see him back here if there was a need.

Don't know that i want Stillman gone but i can see him being a real benefit to the Oil. Veteran leadership plus he is a UFA after the season and we could still see him back here if there was a need.

Agreed. I'm not too keen on loosing Stillman. IMHO, I think Staal benefits having him on the same line. Although, we will be desperate for Defenseman after this season and getting a young guy who has potential wouldn't be so bad. If this deal goes down, something else is coming back Carolina's way.

Agreed. I'm not too keen on loosing Stillman. IMHO, I think Staal benefits having him on the same line. Although, we will be desperate for Defenseman after this season and getting a young guy who has potential wouldn't be so bad. If this deal goes down, something else is coming back Carolina's way.

and Greene is huge, 6'3" 200+