The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Not a rumour I want to hear :(

Per Eklund:

Edmonton has made their big deal(e5)...but what???? waiting on details...I do not believe it is Redden. Andy Strickland believes it to be "A big power forward out of the East."

Edmonton possibilities for the big deal....Eric Cole or Oli Jokinen according to speculation....also could be a three way way Pitkanen heading the other way...

Pitkanen is NOT worth Erik Cole IMHO

This is from the Oilers blogger on hockeybuzz:

What a weird draft. So many irons in the fire, so many GM's backing off pulling the trigger. Kevin had 2 deals pending yesterday and expected one to materialize today. I'm being told now that it will NOT go through today and that the understanding is that they'll talk again on Monday. One deal is done...or, at the very least agreed to in principle...at least it was the last time I heard, so I'm not sure why the delay.

As far as the deal that was supposed to materialize today, I'd hesitate to call it a 'big splash' but will suggest that the trade will be looked upon favorably by fans in Oil Country if it goes through. With so much uncertainty surrounding things, I'm not going to publish my knowledge of the deal.

And as a follow up to what Colseylarosefan found from Ecklund...

maybe not today...but it is coming..I hear some of the names involved could be Eric Cole and Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton, Raffi Torres to Philly, and something obviously large to Carolina...(maybe a side of prime Alberta Beef)

Who could he be referring to as something "large". (besides the side of beef :rolleyes: )

And as a follow up to what Colseylarosefan found from Ecklund...

maybe not today...but it is coming..I hear some of the names involved could be Eric Cole and Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton, Raffi Torres to Philly, and something obviously large to Carolina...(maybe a side of prime Alberta Beef)

Who could he be referring to as something "large". (besides the side of beef :rolleyes: )

Ok, so I'm looking at it this way. Edmonton gets Cole and Pitkanen and gives up Torres that we know of. Whom else could they part with to even that up? Looks like they win big time right now. I sure hope Pitkanen is coming our way. I'd give Cole up for him and a sweetener.

Ok, so I'm looking at it this way. Edmonton gets Cole and Pitkanen and gives up Torres that we know of. Whom else could they part with to even that up? Looks like they win big time right now. I sure hope Pitkanen is coming our way. I'd give Cole up for him and a sweetener.

I read on another board that someone was speculating Horcoff and Lupul to Carolina for Erik Cole. Horcoff will fill our 3rd line center needs, but he is making $3.6 million. A bit pricey for a 3rd line center. Lupul is making $2.9 million. Doesn't clear up cap space so I'd have to say this is not true. Maybe Horcoff for Cole, but then who do we get to replace Cole?

I'm gonna be dying for the next couple days.

I read on another board that someone was speculating Horcoff and Lupul to Carolina for Erik Cole. Horcoff will fill our 3rd line center needs, but he is making $3.6 million. A bit pricey for a 3rd line center. Lupul is making $2.9 million. Doesn't clear up cap space so I'd have to say this is not true. Maybe Horcoff for Cole, but then who do we get to replace Cole?

Lupul makes sense but Horcroff doesn't to me, Lupul is also not enough for Cole. Also, Philly is involved in this rumor. I'm wondering who Philly sends to either us or Edmonton and who they get back, my guess is Pitkanin.

Lupul makes sense but Horcroff doesn't to me, Lupul is also not enough for Cole. Also, Philly is involved in this rumor. I'm wondering who Philly sends to either us or Edmonton and who they get back, my guess is Pitkanin.

Per Eklund (I hope it is only a rumor, I like Cole)

Edmonton Deal Name Game...

Today @ 2:15 PM ET | Comments (191)

maybe not today...but it is coming..could be this week or next.....what's the hold up? It is a valid question that I can not answer...but there is no doubt it is coming...

I talked to a source that is extremely close with the Oilers and he is also reporting it is done..."It has to do with strategy involving some other deals." I was told.

Some of the names involved could be Eric Cole and Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton, Raffi Torres to Philly, and something obviously large to Carolina...(maybe a side of prime Alberta Beef)

I am also hearing that a few other deals are done and will come out in the next 24 hours....Interesting how teams are waiting to get away from Ohio to announce and in some cases put the finishing touches on

maybe not today...but it is coming..could be this week or next.....what's the hold up? It is a valid question that I can not answer...but there is no doubt it is coming...

I talked to a source that is extremely close with the Oilers and he is also reporting it is done..."It has to do with strategy involving some other deals." I was told.

Some of the names involved could be Eric Cole and Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton, Raffi Torres to Philly, and something obviously large to Carolina...(maybe a side of prime Alberta Beef)

I am also hearing that a few other deals are done and will come out in the next 24 hours....Interesting how teams are waiting to get away from Ohio to announce and in some cases put the finishing touches on

I'm with ya caniac, Cole has been a favorite of mine since his rookie year. I will be heartbroken to see him go. If he does go, then atleast it'll be out West where he won't kill us when we play against him. Guess I'll have to retire my Cole jersey and just wear Williams. My bf will be pissed cause he'll have to buy another jersey.

But I think I just figured out the deal:

To Edmonton:

Pitkenen

To Philly:

Torres

To Carolina:

Pitkenen

Lupul

To Edmonton:

Cole

This allows Edmonton to trade the 2 guys they have had on the trade block since the trade deadline. This gets Carolina their defenseman they want plus a forward. Also, clears up some cap space for Carolina. In essence Carolina gets 2 players worth for Cole's money.

I'm with ya caniac, Cole has been a favorite of mine since his rookie year. I will be heartbroken to see him go. If he does go, then atleast it'll be out West where he won't kill us when we play against him. Guess I'll have to retire my Cole jersey and just wear Williams. My bf will be pissed cause he'll have to buy another jersey.

But I think I just figured out the deal:

To Edmonton:

Pitkenen

To Philly:

Torres

To Carolina:

Pitkenen

Lupul

To Edmonton:

Cole

This allows Edmonton to trade the 2 guys they have had on the trade block since the trade deadline. This gets Carolina their defenseman they want plus a forward. Also, clears up some cap space for Carolina. In essence Carolina gets 2 players worth for Cole's money.

Philly is pretty brilliant if they can pull that off. Clone Pitkanen and trade him to two teams!

I'd love to pick up Pitkanen and Lupul, although I think it would take a little more from our end.

To Carolina:

Joni Pitkanen

Joffrey Lupul

To Edmonton:

Erik Cole

Justin Peters

To Philadelphia:

Andrew Hutchinson

Raffi Torres

I'd love to pick up Pitkanen and Lupul, although I think it would take a little more from our end.

To Carolina:

Joni Pitkanen

Joffrey Lupul

To Edmonton:

Erik Cole

Justin Peters

To Philadelphia:

Andrew Hutchinson

Raffi Torres

so you think we will off load Hutch??

We're going to have get rid of some defensemen if we expect to pick another who's ready for the roster. Only so many healthy scratch spots available before we go over the 23 allowed roster spots.

Philly is pretty brilliant if they can pull that off. Clone Pitkanen and trade him to two teams!

You misread. Philly trades Pitkanen to Edmonton. Edmonton trades Pitkanen to us.

1 Pitkanen, multiple trades.

You misread. Philly trades Pitkanen to Edmonton. Edmonton trades Pitkanen to us.

1 Pitkanen, multiple trades.

My bad. I see that now.

We're going to have get rid of some defensemen if we expect to pick another who's ready for the roster. Only so many healthy scratch spots available before we go over the 23 allowed roster spots.

JR said any trade for a puck moving defenseman would have a defenseman going the other way. If worst comes to worst we could send Hutchinson to Albany and either he gets claimed and we're stuck with a bit of salary or he makes it through and doesn't affect our cap.

This is getting interesting. Someone in Edmonton is thinking this, which I can also see happening:

To Flyers:

Torre

To Edmonton:

Pitkenen

Cole

To Carolina:

Stoll

Lupul

Stoll will fill our 3rd line center need. We won't be gaining an extra defenseman to put with our already excess.

Although, Hutch to Philly could work too like another poster said. My brother thinks Hutch won't go anywhere cause JR likes him too much, but I always tend to be more right. :P

I still say we get Pitkenen and that's why Eklund didn't post who would be coming our way. Maybe Philly doesn't want Pitkenen in the same Conference and will back out if they know Edmonton is gonna trade him to us.

I dont like this, I dont like trading Cole at all!!! For whoever I dont care how bad we need a certain position player. Erik Cole is one of the best players in the NHL and one of the fastest. I think now that he has a year behind him with the neck injury thing he'll come back this year more confidently and be like the Cole of 05-06. I dont like trading him.

Again, Cole is one of the fastest....when he's healthy. However, when's the last time Cole's been healthy? Ever since that neck injury, he's not the same player. All last year, he was never as quick as he was our Cup year.

And you've got to think about the possibility of becoming more injury-prone as he moves on. I like Cole, but this trade may need to happen.

I just dont like it. I think he's to valuble to our team to let him go. Erik can fly and when he's on he's one of the best, I dont want this to be another Matt Cullen wishin we wouldnt have traded him the year after