The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

My brother thinks Hutch won't go anywhere cause JR likes him too much, but I always tend to be more right.

Ya, he likes him so much he keeps him up in the pressbox for company hahaha

My brother thinks Hutch won't go anywhere cause JR likes him too much, but I always tend to be more right.

that can't be true, if JR likes him so much why was he actively trying to unload him at the trade deadline last season!!

I just dont like it. I think he's to valuble to our team to let him go. Erik can fly and when he's on he's one of the best, I dont want this to be another Matt Cullen wishin we wouldnt have traded him the year after

Trust me I'm with you. Cole has been my favorite since his rookie year. I've got his jersey, my boyfriend has his jersey. We are BIG Cole supporters. Love him and will be heartbroken if this goes through, crap I'll probably even cry.

But with saying that, we also have to know that Cole will not be a Cane forever. I've always predicted that if he was still with us after his contract is up that we will loose him to free agency. His signings with us have always been hard. In knowing that we will loose him eventually, am I ready to loose him now, absolutely not, but I'd rather we loose him to a West coast team whom we won't play alot.

Or maybe I'm just preparing myself for the inevitable.

that can't be true, if JR likes him so much why was he actively trying to unload him at the trade deadline last season!!

that's why I said i'm always right cause i don't buy it either. :P

I agree, we are going to lose him eventually. he stands to make $4mil next season so we might actually get some change back depending on which two players we end up with.

Gettig rid of Cole would be a huge mistake. His speed and fore ckecking puts more pressure on the other teams D than any foward we have. In my opinion, he was our best player towards the end of the year. There is no player that adds any more excitement to a game than Cole when he turns the corner on a rush.

Erik needs to retire a Cane we drafted him and he's the shyt!! I dont want to loose him and then he post 60 or more points for someone else Id rather it be us. I know it might need to happen maybe but I just hope it doesnt

Erik needs to retire a Cane we drafted him and he's the shyt!! I dont want to loose him and then he post 60 or more points for someone else Id rather it be us. I know it might need to happen maybe but I just hope it doesnt

He's also incredibly fragile which isn't a good thing considering his style of game. Pitkanen could come in and give our powerplay a HUGE boost and I bet he would put up 50 points in a season here.

Maybe, but he's not a Erik Cole

Well....no. That's quite obvious. Cole is a power forward and Pitkanen is an offensive defenseman. We have a great need for a guy like Pitkanen in this organization, I'm sure we can all agree on that. By bringing in a powerplay quarterback like him we help the entire team out. How many more games could we have won last year with a more effective powerplay? Eventually Ladd can be a similar player to Cole. I'd rather trade Cole now before he leaves as a free agent and get a great young defenseman like Pitkanen (who could be signed to a nice contract considering he had somewhat of an off year) and give Ladd a shot on the second line.

The Oilers homepage has an interview up with Kevin Lowe, the 3-way deal briefly was brought up. He didn't say much except it won't go down anytime soon. Says that trade and some other trades are being held up due to the GMs having a hard time pulling the trigger. Said 3 way trades are tough to finalize b/c you have to get all 3 teams to agree.

Sounds like nothing is official yet.

How many years does Cole have left on his contract?

2 years at $8 million ($4 mil per year)

If that's the case, it might not be a bad idea to trade him for Pitkanen. Cole's been getting injured a lot and Pitkanen has the potential to be one of the best PP quarterbacks in the league. Besides, if Cole does slow down in Edmonton to the point where his value decreases, he might be a good choice to re-sign fairly cheaply when he's a UFA.

For what it's worth from Luke DeCock...

The NHL Draft typically serves as a cauldron of rumor and speculation, and word swept the draft floor Saturday that the Canes were part of a three-way deal that would send Erik Cole to Edmonton and bring Joni Pitkanen to Carolina from Philadelphia.

Except that Edmonton general manager Kevin Lowe said he'd never been offered Cole

Cole for Pitkanen straight-up is not a deal I'd favor. We don't have anyone on this team that drives the net like Cole to put fear in the enemy...Ladd's the closest, but doesn't have the same turning speed/balance as Cole when driving from the boards. Our record with Cole in the line-up vs. when he's out is markedly different. To boot, he's generally the most exciting player on the ice to watch. Pitkanen isn't even under contract yet (he's an RFA), is he? If not, then that perhaps messy negotiation would also be dumped on the Canes

Philadelphia is actually taking Pitkanen to arbitration to try and have his salary lowered before they re-sign him. I doubt an arbitrator will see things the same way. If we acquire him after that happens he'll be on a one year deal (arbitrators only away one year contracts) so we'd have to re-sign him next year. Might be easier to get him before the arbitration period and work out our own contract with him....that is, if we have a chance at landing him.

I'm glad that Cole apparently isn't being shopped. I would love to get Pitkanen, but I want to hold onto the offensive guys we have now except for Letowski. I also want to see Commodore, Wallin, Wesley, Kaberle and Gleason all back. Anyone outside of them would be great to give up for Pitkanen. Especially if the arbitration doesn't go as planned for Philly.

Hokay, I don't see a better place to put this....

We acquired Leighton earlier today for the 7th round draft pick, right? Well if you go to the roster he is now listed under our goaltenders as #49. There are several others on there that we have signed, but if you notice they have a 0 as their number. Could this mean that there is something in the works with Grahame?

Grahame isn't going anywhere. No one trying to improve the pairing of Ward and Grahame would replace him with Leighton. There's a reason he was on 4 different teams last year and only played a total of 5 nhl games. The guys with the #0 on the roster were all players who spent the whole year in the minor leagues but I'm still not sure why guys like Kelman and Petruzalek are listed on the team roster when Reed and Hughes are a hell of a lot closer to making the team than they are. Weird.

JR has already said that he is keeping his goalies.

I think picking up Leighton means we are packaging one of Nastiuk, Kowalski, or Peters to get that defensemen.

Grahame is 10 times better as a back up than Leighton is and its not like Grahame's $1.4 million is putting a strain on the cap.