The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Can't be Kowalski, he wasn't extended a qualifying offer so he'll be a free agent come July 1st. Probably not Peters as he's our top prospect unless he's used in a package deal to land a good defenseman. Nastiuk is on his way out with the organization but his value has been dropping steadily since he was drafted.

Here's the latest update by DeCock:

UPDATE, 6:35 p.m.: There's now word that something might get done tonight or early tomorrow, so stay tuned.

ok that makes me super nervous :unsure:

Tel me about it.

I think it will be Justin Peters that will be moved if any of our goaltender prospects are moved. He seems to have hit a wall in his development, atleast with our team. I think our system goaltenders will be assigned like this:

Daniel Manzato and Michael Leighton in Albany of the AHL.

Kevin Nastiuk in Florida of the ECHL.

Magnus Akerlund in Timra of the Elitserien.

I think it will be Justin Peters that will be moved if any of our goaltender prospects are moved. He seems to have hit a wall in his development, atleast with our team. I think our system goaltenders will be assigned like this:

Whattttttt? Peters hit a wall in his development? He played his first pro season and at times looked great but struggled to find his consistency which is not uncommon with young goaltenders. You call this hitting a wall? If any one of our goalie prospects has done such a thing it is Kevin Nastiuk. He just gets worse and worse with each passing year it seems.

By the way, Akerlund plays for HV71 unless there's news of him being traded or signing with Timra that I haven't heard.

I just read on hfboards that there is a rumor that there will be a 3 or 4 way trade involving Cole in some way going to edmonton. Just please say it ain't so.

Colesylarosefan posted this earlier, looks like there's no need to worry...I think.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes''>http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes[/post]

I just read on hfboards that there is a rumor that there will be a 3 or 4 way trade involving Cole in some way going to edmonton. Just please say it ain't so.

Colesylarosefan posted this earlier, looks like there's no need to worry...I think.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes''>http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes' target="_blank">http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes[/post]

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/index.php/canes

ack sorry. I'm just worried and I've got work in the morning and I'm not gonna be able to sleep.

Here's the article from today's N&O. I just about died when I read...

During Saturday's second day of the draft, talk flooded the draft floor that the Canes were working on a three-way deal that would send Erik Cole to the Edmonton Oilers and bring defenseman Joni Pitkanen to Carolina from the Philadelphia Flyers.

JR denies Cole was 'in play'. As for Babchuck, Jr says..

"We'll leave him in Russia," Rutherford said. "He's a defected player, and he can stay there and we'll keep his rights."

Canes expect a deal

GM working on defensive change

Link is here.

Whattttttt? Peters hit a wall in his development? He played his first pro season and at times looked great but struggled to find his consistency which is not uncommon with young goaltenders. You call this hitting a wall? If any one of our goalie prospects has done such a thing it is Kevin Nastiuk. He just gets worse and worse with each passing year it seems.

By the way, Akerlund plays for HV71 unless there's news of him being traded or signing with Timra that I haven't heard.

He didn't struggle to find his consistency, he was terrible the entire year. He lost the #1 job in Albany and, in his one start in Florida of the ECHL, he allowed six goals on 28 shots. When you consider we decided not to retain Craig Kowalski, a goaltender who just led Florida to the semi-finals of the ECHL Championship and played solid hockey throughout the course of the season, it is very possible we could give up on Justin Peters this quickly.

Kevin Nastiuk just had a season where he was the #1-B goaltender for a team that was one of the best in the ECHL. His statistics in the playoffs: 4 games-played / 3 wins / 1.68 GAA / 1 Shutout. Only problem with Nastiuk is that we have to loan him out to another team. The fact that we didn't retain Craig Kowalski likely means Kevin Nastiuk will be the #1 in Florida next season.

As for Magnus Akerlund, he was recently signed by Timra.

Why keep the rights to Anton Babchuk? He'll never play here again.

It's a little something called "Payback", Babs pissed off JR and that is not a wise thing to do. Just ask Irbe, he crossed that line and spent his last year or so with us floating between the AHL and ECHL. By keeping his rights, Babs can't play in the NHL or at least not until some team wants him so bad they will compensate us for his rights. He is now "stuck" in Russia. At some point he might age out and no longer be a RFA but i think that is a couple of years away.

No, he's done here. But you keep his rights in the event somebody is interested so you can get some type of compensation for trading him.

No, he's done here. But you keep his rights in the event somebody is interested so you can get some type of compensation for trading him.

it also prevents him from signing with another NHL team - exiled.

From Spector's today:

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the Hurricanes are talking with the Philadelphia Flyers regarding a possible trade of defenceman Joni Pitkanen. Matheson speculated the Flyers might be interested in Niclas Wallin or Mike Commodore in return.

Spector's Note: That would be an interesting swap, although I'll be very surprised if the 'Canes deal Commodore, who's developed into a very good all-around defenceman.

:o

From Spector's today:

EDMONTON JOURNAL: Jim Matheson reports the Hurricanes are talking with the Philadelphia Flyers regarding a possible trade of defenceman Joni Pitkanen. Matheson speculated the Flyers might be interested in Niclas Wallin or Mike Commodore in return.

Spector's Note: That would be an interesting swap, although I'll be very surprised if the 'Canes deal Commodore, who's developed into a very good all-around defenceman.

From Spector's today:

if only Bobby Clarke was there, we could get him to take Hutch and Babs.

From Spector's today:

Commie and Nick, I like both of those guys...but think giving one of them for Pitkanen would be a big step up--surely makes a lot better deal than giving up Cole for him! (Probably would prefer to give Wallin...I think Commie still has more upside.)