The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Canes Rumor Mill

Possibly. They said there was one hold-up in the deal, perhaps it could be Wallin's no-trade clause.

From a contract standpoint, the Canes would prefer to keep Wallin over Commodore. Wallin is locked in at what now seems to be a reasonable price for 3 more years while Commodore becomes a UFA after this season. On the open market he will make over $2 million based on how salaries are going.

Yes, he's popular and flashy and his game has improved but he still drifts out of position too much, is at times a stride too slow and puts his brain in neutral with almost random pinches. I'm sure the Commodore lovers will howl, but it's true. His offensive stats are somewhat misleading but that was on a very offensively challenged blueline and probably are an aberration more than anything.

Wallin isn't flashy but he is better than Commodore from a pure defensive standpoint almost across the board. Commodore still has the Aaron Ward tendency to take stupid penalties at inopportune times. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe Wallin has a NTC.

The Canes also really like the way Wallin and Gleason match-up in a pair and Gleason isn't going any where.

We can all thank Bret Hedican for this.

Exactly! If his coming back forces Nick or Mike out the door then I won't just not like his coming back, but I will absolutly hate him for coming back. He's not even sure if he can hold up all season! :angry:

Wallin does have a no trade. Can't remember if it was this board or another board, but someone posted a clip for an aritcle in Swedan and it had Wallin saying that he and his family were set to play in Swedan, but the the Canes contract included a no trade clause so he and his family decided it was the NHL.

If Philly is interested in Wallin or Commodore, they'll probably get Commodore. They probably put things on hold to ask Wallin if he will waive his no trade, but I don't see him doing it.

Exactly! If his coming back forces Nick or Mike out the door then I won't just not like his coming back, but I will absolutly hate him for coming back. He's not even sure if he can hold up all season! :angry:

To be honest, I don't think Hedican returning as anything to do with a trade. From what JR has said the last month or so is that he would probably have signed Tanabe if Hedican retired. He would still do a trade to 'shake up' his blueline.

Face it, we've all stated that something needs to be done with our defense and JR feels the same way. He would have done a trade whether or not Hedican returned. And trust me I'm one that thinks Hedican needs to retire, but I honeslty don't think him coming back is making a trade go down.

Really?- you obviuosly have a lack of understanding of what a contract means. Players and agents look out for themselves and owners/GM's are on the other side of the coin. That is why contracts are needed. Hedican has done nothing other that devote himself to this team.

Wallin does have a no trade. Can't remember if it was this board or another board, but someone posted a clip for an aritcle in Swedan and it had Wallin saying that he and his family were set to play in Swedan, but the the Canes contract included a no trade clause so he and his family decided it was the NHL.

If Philly is interested in Wallin or Commodore, they'll probably get Commodore. They probably put things on hold to ask Wallin if he will waive his no trade, but I don't see him doing it.

I've read the same things about Wallin but I don't consider it factual at this point until I see it from a reliable source. For months there were posts here and elsewhere about Hedican having a NTC, which I stated several times was untrue but rather a player option, so I'm not ready to say it's true with Wallin. In any event, as I pointed out earlier, Commodore makes more sense to move anyway. For those that don't like it, who's to say he would re-sign here anyway?

I think the delay regarding Pitkanen is that Holmgren wants to field offers before deciding which is the best. In my opinion, he can get more than a Commodore-type player so I think it would have to be Commodore and a pick or a prospect.

Possibly. They said there was one hold-up in the deal, perhaps it could be Wallin's no-trade clause.

From a contract standpoint, the Canes would prefer to keep Wallin over Commodore. Wallin is locked in at what now seems to be a reasonable price for 3 more years while Commodore becomes a UFA after this season. On the open market he will make over $2 million based on how salaries are going.

Yes, he's popular and flashy and his game has improved but he still drifts out of position too much, is at times a stride too slow and puts his brain in neutral with almost random pinches. I'm sure the Commodore lovers will howl, but it's true. His offensive stats are somewhat misleading but that was on a very offensively challenged blueline and probably are an aberration more than anything.

Wallin isn't flashy but he is better than Commodore from a pure defensive standpoint almost across the board. Commodore still has the Aaron Ward tendency to take stupid penalties at inopportune times. I'm not 100% sure but I don't believe Wallin has a NTC.

The Canes also really like the way Wallin and Gleason match-up in a pair and Gleason isn't going any where.

Outstanding point, stormrider, on the contract consideration. That would lean toward keeping Wallin. Frankly, Wallin is the most Glen Wesley-like defenseman we have (other than the original, of course!) and, at 'only' 31, still should have quite a few more productive years ahead. O.K., I'm convinced, cut loose the red head (but I'm still keeping my robe!)

I've read the same things about Wallin but I don't consider it factual at this point until I see it from a reliable source. For months there were posts here and elsewhere about Hedican having a NTC, which I stated several times was untrue but rather a player option, so I'm not ready to say it's true with Wallin. In any event, as I pointed out earlier, Commodore makes more sense to move anyway. For those that don't like it, who's to say he would re-sign here anyway?

I think the delay regarding Pitkanen is that Holmgren wants to field offers before deciding which is the best. In my opinion, he can get more than a Commodore-type player so I think it would have to be Commodore and a pick or a prospect.

as much as i like Commodore, i don't see him staying here and retiring. too much of a free spirit, will play where ever they give him a jersey. Wallin has been a team man since day one and they way him and Gleason can shut down a top line has to be commended. would really hope it is Hedican to Philly but are they that stupid? Hedican would give their D-corps some veteran leadership.

As much as I love Commodore, I'd rather see him go than Wallin. Commie's so great with the fans, he's a good defenseman, and of course, the afro and bathrobe, but Wallin just seems to get more done more quietly than Commodore. Plus, Gleason and Wallin were insane together.

Outstanding point, stormrider, on the contract consideration. That would lean toward keeping Wallin. Frankly, Wallin is the most Glen Wesley-like defenseman we have (other than the original, of course!) and, at 'only' 31, still should have quite a few more productive years ahead. O.K., I'm convinced, cut loose the red head (but I'm still keeping my robe!)

Of course, the flip side is that Commodore's pending free agency after next season makes him less attractive to Philly. That could be part of a hold-up, that they are trying to get him to agree to an extension.

Commodore didn't help to secure his place with Carolina when he went -10 down the stretch over the last 7 games when the Canes were fighting for a playoff spot. That wretched play hurt his stock with the organization. With Wesley back, Commodore's role on the PK can be replaced by either Wallin or Gleason.

Really?- you obviuosly have a lack of understanding of what a contract means. Players and agents look out for themselves and owners/GM's are on the other side of the coin. That is why contracts are needed. Hedican has done nothing other that devote himself to this team.

He also took up $2.4 million that could've been used to sign a defenseman in free agency. Without that money, we have to trade either Mike Commodore or Niclas Wallin to improve our defense. Two players that are better and will be in the NHL longer than Hedican. If Hedican hadn't decided to return, I'm positive we wouldn't have traded anyone. We would have had the money to put in a bid for someone like Brad Stuart or Roman Hamrlik.

Alternatively, perhaps the delay has to do with the Flyer's side. Since the Canes don't want to have to go to arbitration and only get Pitkanen for only one year, they want the Flyers to re-sign him or they're negotiating with him so that once they get his rights, they can re-sign him quickly.

Or, perhaps, the deal includes Babchuk in some way and the Canes, or Flyers, are trying to determine the seriousness of his committment to the Russian league.

Of course, the flip side is that Commodore's pending free agency after next season makes him less attractive to Philly. That could be part of a hold-up, that they are trying to get him to agree to an extension.

Commodore didn't help to secure his place with Carolina when he went -10 down the stretch over the last 7 games when the Canes were fighting for a playoff spot. That wretched play hurt his stock with the organization. With Wesley back, Commodore's role on the PK can be replaced by either Wallin or Gleason.

As you mentioned Commie didn't help himself, but wasn't Wallin out hurt quite a bit last season? That may not help his cause.

He also took up $2.4 million that could've been used to sign a defenseman in free agency. Without that money, we have to trade either Mike Commodore or Niclas Wallin to improve our defense. Two players that are better and will be in the NHL longer than Hedican. If Hedican hadn't decided to return, I'm positive we wouldn't have traded anyone. We would have had the money to put in a bid for someone like Brad Stuart or Roman Hamrlik.

I can guarantee you that JR would make a trade whether Hedican returned or not. JR wanted Tanabe back, he pretty much said that after our season was over. Not in exact words, but he said along the lines of Tanabe really improved and we fill he can be the player we drafted him to be. Not in so many words, but that pretty much says we want Tanabe back. Hedican coming back, yeah put the damper on that, but JR would have done a trade no matter what.

We all know the defense we have now is NOT going to get it done. JR knows this and a trade was going to happen regardless of Hedican's decision.

How will the money work if this trade did happen? Pitkanen already is in the $2 M range and is headed to arbitration, right? Commodore makes $1.2 and Wallin makes less than $1 M. This is a salary cap-buster (our self-imposed $44 M cap). It would make more sense to move a high-price forward or two players who make around Pitkanen's salary.

That said, if we could get him without giving away all our talent, then he could be a franchise d-man in two years, when we will no longer have our stalwarts, Wesley and Hedican.

A little lengthy post here, but given the level of interest in Pitkanen and his current status, I thought this bit from Slam Sports' Dr. Hockey may be useful:

PITKANEN TRADE IMMINENT?

If your boss came to you and said he wanted to give you a pay cut while throwing around money for new arrivals in your office, how would you react to the news?

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that the team filed for salary arbitration with restricted free-agent defenseman Joni Pitkanen. The Flyers want to lower his $2 million salary. This, after handing out around $63M in contracts to Scott Hartnell and Kimmo Timonen.

Ouch.

Granted, Pitkanen did not have a great season. He was -25, but unfortunately that wasn

One think I worry about in acquiring Pitkanen is that the last time we did made a deal like this to acquire a power play QB it was for Ozolinsh and he turned out to be a complete bust here. I'm sure Pitkanen is much better than Ozo and he even had respectable plus numbers before last year's debacle in Philly. I'm sure Pitkanen could help out our PP but he's not necessaily the one solution we need.

Also, regarding us being unable to keep Commodore after next year, I'm sure we would have to pay Pitkanen if he puts up those same points numbers for us, and if he doesn't he will be a bust and we already have a proven commodity in Commodore.

Finnaly, I'm sure JR is regretting giving Hedican that 6 year contract years back. I know he was comign off a great year helping our improbable cup run in '02 but i even remember saying back then 6 years seemed so long but I guess JR figured he was locking in a steal.

P.S. isn't ironic now how we traded Ozo to get hedican but now Hedican is actually hurting our roster situation dn we are trading a known guy to get a PP QB in the mold of Ozo.

How will the money work if this trade did happen? Pitkanen already is in the $2 M range and is headed to arbitration, right? Commodore makes $1.2 and Wallin makes less than $1 M. This is a salary cap-buster (our self-imposed $44 M cap). It would make more sense to move a high-price forward or two players who make around Pitkanen's salary.

That said, if we could get him without giving away all our talent, then he could be a franchise d-man in two years, when we will no longer have our stalwarts, Wesley and Hedican.

Wallin makes $1.725 million a year. Wouldn't take much added to him to even out the money.

or maybe it has nothing to do with commie or wallin it has to do with erik cole :( this would really really really suck...

Rumors were flying yesterday that the Oilers are looking to make a big move in the near future. Today, one day later, HTR has dug deep through media sources in an effort to uncover possible names that may be on the move.

According to the Delco Times (Philadelphia Based), the Oilers, Flyers and Hurricanes are working on a three way deal that would see the Oilers move Raffi Torres to the Flyers, Pitkanen would go to Carolina and Erik Cole to the Oilers. Three ways deals are always very complicated but HTR believes that there is a good chance that this one will go down or something very similar due to the fact that each of these teams want to shake things up.

Expect something to happen within the next week or so.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?n...le&sid=8892

or maybe it has nothing to do with commie or wallin it has to do with erik cole :( this would really really really suck...

Rumors were flying yesterday that the Oilers are looking to make a big move in the near future. Today, one day later, HTR has dug deep through media sources in an effort to uncover possible names that may be on the move.

According to the Delco Times (Philadelphia Based), the Oilers, Flyers and Hurricanes are working on a three way deal that would see the Oilers move Raffi Torres to the Flyers, Pitkanen would go to Carolina and Erik Cole to the Oilers. Three ways deals are always very complicated but HTR believes that there is a good chance that this one will go down or something very similar due to the fact that each of these teams want to shake things up.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8892' target="_blank">http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?n...le&sid=8892[/post]

We've already discounted that as rumour. JR says he is not shopping Cole and Lowe said that Cole was never offered.

Plus JR said he will do a d for d move, that's why this doesn't make sense. If this deal would to go down, then Edmonton would also have to offer up Horcoff or Lupul. No way Pitkenen for Cole straight up is the deal. Cole is worth more than an unproven defenseman. Plus there's no way we can trade a Top 6 forward for a defenseman, then have to turn around and sign a Top 6 forward plus a 3rd line center, and still have excess in defensemen.

It just doesn't make sense.

EDIT: Also Philly fans are saying they don't need anymore wingers as their loaded at that position, so getting Raffi Torres is really not what they need.

http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=8892' target="_blank">http://hockeytraderumors.com/modules.php?n...le&sid=8892[/post]

I thought this rumor was dispelled yesterday I hope it doesn't happen the team isn't the same without Cole in the lineup. I hope I'm wrong but if this happens I see us missing the playoffs again.

It would free up about $2 million if we shipped Erik Cole for Joni Pitkanen. That would leave us with about $4.3 million to spend in free agency.

We could:

Move Scott Walker up to the first line with Cory Stillman and Eric Staal.

Sign Shane Willis to be the right winger on our third-line with Andrew Ladd and a free agent center.

Stillman / Staal / Walker

Whitney / Brind'Amour / Williams

Ladd / ??? / Willis

LaRose / Letowski / Adams