The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Grahame 2nd highest paid Backup goalie... is he worth it?

For all those that think Grahame was sooo horrible, look at the stats instead of remembering how 'bad' he was. Ward played 3422 minutes, had a 2.93 GAA, 167 GA, and a save % of .897. Grahame played 1515 minutes (44% of what Ward played), had a GAA of 2.85, had 72 GA (43 % of what Ward had) and a save % of .897. Yes, they had identical save %. Looks to me like he was a whole lot worse than Ward. If you look at wins and losses, Cam did much better percentage wise, but based on these stats it would imply that our guys probably scored more goals for him than the did for Grahame. IMO, we need to keep Grahame and let him play more often. Hockey is a tough sport (I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know) and I think if they share the duties, then they will both be well rested, which might prevent little injuries and will almost certainly result in higher energy levels and quicker reflexes. In MLB, they don't pitch the same guy every night (yes, I know, they are wimps) because it wouldn't take too long for the pitch speed to drop into the 70s. I had a 24 pack last year, and I don't remember Grahame letting us down all that much, I remember him not getting much goal support from the guys.

Grahame and Ward need to split time? Whattttt? We're trying to get Ward to become a starter. We don't need him to regress to playing less games. He's in the best shape of his life right now after training with Friesen all year so what makes you think he needs less starts?

Grahame and Ward need to split time? Whattttt? We're trying to get Ward to become a starter. We don't need him to regress to playing less games. He's in the best shape of his life right now after training with Friesen all year so what makes you think he needs less starts?

I dont know maybe Grahame's 1.4M Pay?

That was last year, while Ward was getting his first shot as a starter. Now he knows what's expected of him and he put in the work to get in the best shape of his life. He's taking this seriously and he's ready to start plenty of games. No way do he and Grahame split time this year. Grahame will get a decent amount of starts and then it's bye bye at the end of the year.

And people still forget about Theodore... <_<

YOU GUYS DON'T KNOW WHAT I'VE BEEN THROUGH WITH HIM ON MY TEAM!

Jose Theodore was acquired through a trade and Colorado felt he would be their starter, while John Grahame was signed by Carolina to be a back-up. Little bit of a difference there, although I won't doubt the frustration he has caused you and other Colorado fans.

Jose Theodore was acquired through a trade and Colorado felt he would be their starter, while John Grahame was signed by Carolina to be a back-up. Little bit of a difference there, although I won't doubt the frustration he has caused you and other Colorado fans.

Trust me, I know ALL about the Theodore/Aebischer trade... Lacroix tried pulling another steal from Montreal. This time, Montreal won. Patrick Roy, Jose Theodore is not.

My reason for continually bringing Theodore up is because people mention Gerber as being the most expensive backup. Gerber was also brought in to be the starter, but was replaced by Emery, similar to what happened with Theodore and Budaj.

Well, in the end, there is a chance he'll play like the Vezina and Hart trophy winner he was...

Grahame can offer Cam something Leighton can't and that's EXPERIENCE. And sorry, but if Leighton was anymore consistant than Grahame, then he would have more than 47 NHL games and wouldn't be tossed from team to team. Leighton will be great in Albany, but he is not ready for full time back up duty. Cam still has to prove that he's gonna be better this year and its better for the team and organization to have an experienced back up other one whose only had 47 NHL games.

Its easy to bash Grahame, since Tanabe's not here anymore, but he is a reliable back up.

And before I get the he gave up 4 goals in last nights game when Cam gave up none, Grahame also faced the Nashville team that will more than likely be iced opening night. Now I'm not taking anything away from Cam he did a great job, but you can't compare the games as different guys played. Not to mention it was noted from our beat writers and Forslund that the team had a defensive breakdown and the team as a whole got frustrated. Well we all know what happens when this team gets frustrated (see last year).

We can all agree that he needs to play better this year, but Leighton is not the answer that some think he is. Grahame is a better back up for this year.

Grahame can offer Cam something Leighton can't and that's EXPERIENCE. And sorry, but if Leighton was anymore consistant than Grahame, then he would have more than 47 NHL games and wouldn't be tossed from team to team. Leighton will be great in Albany, but he is not ready for full time back up duty. Cam still has to prove that he's gonna be better this year and its better for the team and organization to have an experienced back up other one whose only had 47 NHL games.

Its easy to bash Grahame, since Tanabe's not here anymore, but he is a reliable back up.

And before I get the he gave up 4 goals in last nights game when Cam gave up none, Grahame also faced the Nashville team that will more than likely be iced opening night. Now I'm not taking anything away from Cam he did a great job, but you can't compare the games as different guys played. Not to mention it was noted from our beat writers and Forslund that the team had a defensive breakdown and the team as a whole got frustrated. Well we all know what happens when this team gets frustrated (see last year).

We can all agree that he needs to play better this year, but Leighton is not the answer that some think he is. Grahame is a better back up for this year.

Post of the year Award

That experience would've been useful last season, but it didn't exactly play out like we all thought it would. Now, Ward knows what it's like to be a #1 goaltender and he doesn't really need a veteran to help him adapt. Perhaps if it was a veteran goaltender with some composure, that could teach Ward how to not let each goal affect him mentally. However, Grahame clearly isn't that type of veteran and there really isn't much Ward can learn from him. Ward has played in almost half as many regular season games as Grahame has over his career. Ward has also already played in four times as many playoff games as Grahame has over his career. While he isn't on the market, a player that fits the bill of a solid veteran goaltender would be someone like Jocelyn Thibault. A player with actual experience that has been in a variety of situations and could help Ward deal with whatever he has to face in the next couple of years.

If any of you were watching the game and saw the Caps goal to win it in OT, thats why we need Jonny as our backup and not Leighton!!!

That was the only goal I saw and it was horrible. I cant even call it out of position cause he wasn't even within shouting distance. :o

Can someone tell me how Cam looked? I know he gave up a couple but should he have had them?

If any of you were watching the game and saw the Caps goal to win it in OT, thats why we need Jonny as our backup and not Leighton!!!

That was the only goal I saw and it was horrible. I cant even call it out of position cause he wasn't even within shouting distance. :o

Can someone tell me how Cam looked? I know he gave up a couple but should he have had them?

ohh yeah b.c all four were the defenses fault :rolleyes: i swear with some of you people grahame is this this perfect goalie and nothing is his fault...well reality check guys grahame is not that good!!

And to some Grahame is this guy who is not worth three cents. :rolleyes: Reality check even Ward and Leighton let goals in when the defense abandons them.

ohh yeah b.c all four were the defenses fault :rolleyes: i swear with some of you people grahame is this this perfect goalie and nothing is his fault...well reality check guys grahame is not that good!!

I think you need a reality check yourself - Ward loses games & isn't perfect, either, but somehow people are content w/ throwing John under the bus & Cameron is seems almost completely immune from criticisms when he takes the "L". Nothing was ever stated on these boards about either John or Cam being this perfect goalie. It seems that the bitterness of a loss is easier for some people to take when they can blame it all on one player, esp. when there's an entire team at fault for a loss.

Don't you mean those 4 goals that the defense abandoned Grahame on?

Thats well put,.Cam played alright not as good last game, the first goal was a nice little back hand move not sure who would have been able to get that, second one was kinda ify

You are right on the money! Johnny should be our backup and we should start supporting him instead of all this bashing.

You are right on the money! Johnny should be our backup and we should start supporting him instead of all this bashing.

IMO, the problem with Crackers isn't so much him as our team doesn't seem to support him. They would take a bullet for Cam but walk away from Crackers. This has been thoroughly documented.

IMO, the problem with Crackers isn't so much him as our team doesn't seem to support him. They would take a bullet for Cam but walk away from Crackers. This has been thoroughly documented.

Team confidence starts in the net. If the guys don't think their last line of defense can get the job done, the rest rest of the game suffers. I hope this isn't the case with Cackers cause if it is, they need to replace him quick. Im sure there's a ton of that mental assessing going on right now.

Team confidence starts in the net. If the guys don't think their last line of defense can get the job done, the rest rest of the game suffers. I hope this isn't the case with Cackers cause if it is, they need to replace him quick. Im sure there's a ton of that mental assessing going on right now.