The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolina_kat

Grahame 2nd highest paid Backup goalie... is he worth it?

I said it in the game topic thread and I'm gonna say it again:

Hockey is a TEAM sport, not an individual sport. You win as a TEAM, you loose as a TEAM.

When you look at this team you have to think, why are we only getting 2-3 goals a game. We should be getting 4-5 goals a game. This team is built on Offense. JR built this team starting with his offense going back, where must teams start with the goalie out.

I will say that the goal in OT that Leighton gave up was due to his inexperience and why Grahame will be backing Cam up this year. Was Leighton the reason for the lose, NO, the team took way too many freakin penalties which ultimately caused their fate. He played a good game and made some fantastic saves, he's just inexperienced and that's something this team cannot take a gamble on.

Hockey is a TEAM sport, not an individual sport. You win as a TEAM, you loose as a TEAM.

When you look at this team you have to think, why are we only getting 2-3 goals a game. We should be getting 4-5 goals a game. This team is built on Offense. JR built this team starting with his offense going back, where must teams start with the goalie out.

I will say that the goal in OT that Leighton gave up was due to his inexperience and why Grahame will be backing Cam up this year. Was Leighton the reason for the lose, NO, the team took way too many freakin penalties which ultimately caused their fate. He played a good game and made some fantastic saves, he's just inexperienced and that's something this team cannot take a gamble on.

JR hand picked Cam in the draft for our #1 starter. Thats where everything begins for a hockey team regardless of the offensive talent.

JR hand picked Cam in the draft for our #1 starter. Thats where everything begins for a hockey team regardless of the offensive talent.

Yeah, but if look at the team for the past 10 years, its never been about the goaltender. Cam is the first goalie this organization has that has a chance to be an 'elite' goalie. We've never had the top goalies in the league, Cam could quite possibly be the first. The team is offense first, defense second.

I'm not even sure what to say or where to start. Grahame is not that bad of a goal tender and neither is Leighton. Yes, Grahame has more experience than Leighton, but Leighton isn't a totally bad net minder to not be a No. 2, regardless of what team he plays for. The first game he played during the preseason, I thought Leighton played very well.

We gave Gerbs a chance to start out at No. 1 when we won the cup and Gerbs rocked the season! What ever happened to giving people a chance before automatically hanging them out to dry or to bash them like there's no tomorrow. I do not see a problem with Cam having two back ups, we are one of the few teams that only have two goalies for any game. I've seen the sheets where some teams have three. I don't see a problem rotating Grahame and Leighton into supporting roles for Ward, and dressing all three for each game. Think about it, when Cam got hurt last season, what would have happened if Grahame got hurt in the same game and we had no goalie??? What then? We had no one to fall back on at all.

I'm for all three here for us, and not just two.

Yeah, but if look at the team for the past 10 years, its never been about the goaltender. Cam is the first goalie this organization has that has a chance to be an 'elite' goalie. We've never had the top goalies in the league, Cam could quite possibly be the first. The team is offense first, defense second.

I guess we just look at this differently. The team's style of playis an offensive one but you can only have that with sound goal tending and team defense. I couldn't rate one higher than the other...except for the goal tending.

But hey, the point of being on a message board is voice your own opinions and hear other's, right?

I guess we just look at this differently. The team's style of playis an offensive one but you can only have that with sound goal tending and team defense. I couldn't rate one higher than the other...except for the goal tending.

But hey, the point of being on a message board is voice your own opinions and hear other's, right?

I agree it isn't all that nice to be bashing JG, because Cam has bad nights as well. I must say that I am more often mad at JG then I am at Cam but for me, and Cam always says it, he is trying his best, and when we loose i am mad, but i always seem to be able to forgive the team and cam when cam plays. sort of like chuck's interview with Cam last night. I thought is was really nice. Sometimes I just don't get the "I'm trying my best" from grahames attitude. to me he's kind of 'if i win i am the best and if i loose i don't care because.......' and it seems a lot of the time when grahame plays the whole team takes that kind of careless attitude.

just my 2 cents

For what they get paid, they have to play like they need to play regardless of who's in our nets, & if we ain't scoring goals on the other end then we lose the game. Period. These are supposed to be professional athlete's here, not a class of 10th graders saying, "Well, HE didn't do what he was supposed to do, so neither am I". Give me a frickin' break.

I do think our D played a little different in front of Jonny sometimes last year, not all the time though, but after watching Leighton give up the OT goal last night I cant make my earlier statement clear enough

people foget John has won a Calder Cup championship with Coach Laviolette and Set an AHL record for consecutive wins(19) and consecutive wins for TB. He played with Coach again for his country in the Olympics, He's won a Stanley Cup with Tampa I mean its not like he have a bad back up, he played some great games for us last year, while having DVR I look at all the games on tv from last season and like I said he played some great games. We cant judge him from one preseason game at the RBC center, like the first fluke goal that went in and took about 3 hops from the blue line. He gets paid what he does for a reason. When the real games start and if he plays bad then maybe switch him with Leighton(hopefully not) but he's got to be our 2nd go to guy unless he just breaks down all togeather.