The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
tbinner

David Tanabe (#45)

Darn Shame. Guy got some tough love here, and he deserved some of it, but during the second half of last year he played his butt off. Couldn't fight, but was quick to step in and defend his teammates. Moved the puck rapidly and skated hard every shift. In a year that a lot of others gave up he kept playing. May not be the best, but last year speaks volumes about his character. Just another opinion, but would have loved to see him stay. Not sure if he was asking for too much money. Go Canes

Some quick stats on Tanabe last season:

Ranked second among Hurricanes defensemen in goals (5), tied for second in assists (12) and second in points (17) * Ranked third among Carolina defensemen in plus/minus (+5) * Was plus-4 with five goals and 10 assists in the 42 games after he returned from injury on Dec. 29

He's gotten tough love everywhere he plays and rightfully so. He coasts and then every once in a while gives you a glimpse of better play. Just enough to get you excited but then he quickly reverts back to the guy who can't do anything but skate.

Darn Shame. Guy got some tough love here, and he deserved some of it, but during the second half of last year he played his butt off. Couldn't fight, but was quick to step in and defend his teammates. Moved the puck rapidly and skated hard every shift. In a year that a lot of others gave up he kept playing. May not be the best, but last year speaks volumes about his character. Just another opinion, but would have loved to see him stay. Not sure if he was asking for too much money. Go Canes

Some quick stats on Tanabe last season:

Ranked second among Hurricanes defensemen in goals (5), tied for second in assists (12) and second in points (17) * Ranked third among Carolina defensemen in plus/minus (+5) * Was plus-4 with five goals and 10 assists in the 42 games after he returned from injury on Dec. 29

Interesting stats though, considering he played 22 fewer games than the leader, Commodore.

He's gotten tough love everywhere he plays and rightfully so. He coasts and then every once in a while gives you a glimpse of better play. Just enough to get you excited but then he quickly reverts back to the guy who can't do anything but skate.

I believe he can do more than skate, dear person!

LOL you all really have it out for Tanabe, eh? He doesn't even play here anymore and still with the negativity. You all act like he was the worst player to ever lace up his skates as a Cane. :rolleyes:

LOL you all really have it out for Tanabe, eh? He doesn't even play here anymore and still with the negativity. You all act like he was the worst player to ever lace up his skates as a Cane. :rolleyes:

not really, there have been others. in the scheme of things he is at the top of the worst. I don't have it out for Tanabe but I have been watching this team since '01. Tanabe was drafted with high hopes of doing great things here and never quiet panned out. He has been giving chance after chance after chance and the best we have gotten out of him was the last couple of months of last year. How many more chances do you think we need to give the guy?? Do we bring back Irbe and O'Niell and give them chances too?? We are trying to build a successful hockey team, not a rehab house.

Well in THAT case let's hope Staal does well this year.

Staal has always done well, better than expected. His first camp with us he was suppose to be sent back to Red Deer (I think) but he lit up the net during the preseason and played his way onto the roster. You really can't compare Tanabe to Staal, would be like comparing Natsuik to Brodeaur.

Staal has always done well, better than expected. His first camp with us he was suppose to be sent back to Red Deer (I think) but he lit up the net during the preseason and played his way onto the roster. You really can't compare Tanabe to Staal, would be like comparing Natsuik to Brodeaur.

Who is this Brodeaur you refer to???? He can be nothing in the shadow of the great hockey talent that is Naty boy... :P

Look boys and girls Tanabe is a great person ( I guess) and for the chicks is easy on the eyes, but the bottom line is if he is this great Chris Pronger wannabe that some think WHY wasn't he snatched up during the FA signing period by any one of 29 other GM 's around the league for the reportedly paltry sum of $1.0-1.2 M???? No he is on an unpaid tryout with a bottom of the basement team looking to try to put together a respectable product on the ice. After two weeks they are still weighing their options there... I am not one to blindly follow anyone but JR has proven to be a pretty shrewd businessman and pretty good at assessing talent. We have had our share of signings that just didn't work out but I can honestly say in the ten years here that I can't name one player ( that wasn't purely economic) JR has let walk that has gone on to light the hockey world on fire for another team. Meaning when he lets someone walk well within our budget restraints it is usually becasue they have been given ample opportunity and development and just hasn't panned out.

I hope David does well wherever he lands and who knows, if he finds his game in a year or two, JR may bring him back into the fold and have him under contract for 3M per year.

Staal never played in the whl :blink:

He played his junior hockey with the Peterborough Petes of the ohl.

Staal never played in the whl :blink:

He played his junior hockey with the Peterborough Petes of the ohl.

Thanks for the correction, the point I was making was that he wasn't even suppose to stick here. They were gonna give him a taste of the big leagues and ten send him down, Staal made it impossible for that to happen!!

Tanabe was drafted 16th overall by the Carolina Hurricanes in the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. I didn't like him then; however he did play well for us at the end of last season. Could we count on that play to continue if we signed him again? No, we can't. He is what I call an "up and down player". As a minority American Hockey player, I wish him well though.

Who is this Brodeaur you refer to???? He can be nothing in the shadow of the great hockey talent that is Naty boy... :P

Look boys and girls Tanabe is a great person ( I guess) and for the chicks is easy on the eyes, but the bottom line is if he is this great Chris Pronger wannabe that some think WHY wasn't he snatched up during the FA signing period by any one of 29 other GM 's around the league for the reportedly paltry sum of $1.0-1.2 M???? No he is on an unpaid tryout with a bottom of the basement team looking to try to put together a respectable product on the ice. After two weeks they are still weighing their options there... I am not one to blindly follow anyone but JR has proven to be a pretty shrewd businessman and pretty good at assessing talent. We have had our share of signings that just didn't work out but I can honestly say in the ten years here that I can't name one player ( that wasn't purely economic) JR has let walk that has gone on to light the hockey world on fire for another team. Meaning when he lets someone walk well within our budget restraints it is usually becasue they have been given ample opportunity and development and just hasn't panned out.

I hope David does well wherever he lands and who knows, if he finds his game in a year or two, JR may bring him back into the fold and have him under contract for 3M per year.

You make excellent points. Particularly that last sentence. JR is the man, no question about it. And we haven't let any average players go who have gone on to greatness. But we do recycle a lot of players that we had previously let go or traded. (Tanabe himself, Vasecek, Cullen, etc, etc). Is Tanabe really worse than our AHL guys? He looked better than a minor leaguer during the last half of the season.

Still in the end it does look like JR clearly passed on Tanabe at his asking price, and must not see a big upside.

All this talk from the official website of how suddenly great our new minor league defensive talent is, makes me wonder if a trade is still in the wind.

Oh...I could think of another one TH.... ;)

The odd thing for me when it comes to Tanabe is that he seems to be in the vein of the protypical Laviolette style player. He skates well, has great speed. I figured after a season of coaching under Lav he would learn the system and be able to start to fill that OD role with the timely pinching, ability to get back.

I think he showed that he was able to play the system in the second half of the season. However, I do defer to the GM/Coach that there must have still been some things that were going to hold him back. Maybe they just figure he had developed as much as he is going to and his best just wasn't good enough.

Is Tanabe really worse than our AHL guys? He looked better than a minor leaguer during the last half of the season.

I'm not going to argue that point b/c you might be right but we have 7 NHL D-men on the roster right now which leaves no room for Tanabe. Now if David was willing to sign a 2-way deal he might come back to the Canes but I think David feels as though he is better then that, which he probably is.

I'm not going to argue that point b/c you might be right but we have 7 NHL D-men on the roster right now which leaves no room for Tanabe. Now if David was willing to sign a 2-way deal he might come back to the Canes but I think David feels as though he is better then that, which he probably is.

It's those dillusions that have him in St. Louis on a tryout basis.

It's those dillusions that have him in St. Louis on a tryout basis.

With no contract...

edit Pending less than week before the season starts.

Sometimes my typing lags behind my submit finger!

He's still holding strong out in St Louis as he made it through the last set of cuts:

That leaves the final defense spot up for grabs in a group that includes Matt Walker, veteran David Tanabe and rookies Roman Polak and Steve Wagner.

Tanabe missed practice Tuesday because of an ankle injury suffered Sunday against Chicago.

"I thought David was our best defenseman on the ice the other night against Atlanta," Murray said.

http://www.bnd.com/sports/story/137510.html