The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
DukeCaniac09

ESPN.com Hurricanes Preview

Fair assessment, I like reading Scott Burnside.

Im with cc, I hate having all this expectation to start the season.

Fair assessment, I like reading Scott Burnside.

Im with cc, I hate having all this expectation to start the season.

I am not to crazy with his picks either.....I hope, our guys dont read them. They just need to go out each game and skate like they are fighting for the either first playoff spot or 8th seed. Whatever motivation they need to get those 2 points!

Also of note, he has the Bolts finishing second in the divison and sixth in the conference (which means we would face them in the first round) and the Caps finishing in the last playoff spot. He has Florida finishing 13th, though, which I'm not so sure about.

I seriously doubt we will have three teams in the SE make the playoffs. I can see us and Tampa being the 2 teams, but the SE won't have 3 teams in the SE I just don't see it this year.

The kiss of Death.

I prefer "under the radar"

If it's any consolation, Hradek has us finishing second in the division behind Florida - quite a departure from Burnside, who had the Cats finishing in the East cellar. Of course, the consensus on them the past few seasons among many writers has been that they have great talent but always underachieve, so there's no reason to believe they won't continue to do so.

Preseason predictions mean nothing, of course (Exhibit A: the New Orleans Saints), but they're fun to consider.

I have to comment on this one. Not trying to start an argument. Flying under the radar, or being the under-dog is a great thing for mediocre teams. We are not a mediocre team. The players and coaches we have, have made us a legit conference winner. We are a Stanley Cup Winner. Our team should be thought of as a conference winner every year. If the players can't use this as motivation and need the under-dog thing then we are screwed. It's up to players like Rod and Wesely, and even Stillman to get these kids to realize they are one of the top teams in the East, regardless of last year. Dominate the ice and let the other teams realize that they are playing a Stanley Cup winner.

P.S. F--- sports writers.

I seriously doubt we will have three teams in the SE make the playoffs. I can see us and Tampa being the 2 teams, but the SE won't have 3 teams in the SE I just don't see it this year.

Although it is still unlikely, I believe that it is as close a year as any for three teams to make it. Us and Tampa hopefully will make it, and Washington and Florida are both looking much stronger. It will be interesting to say the least.

Who cares what some guys on ESPN say? I don't care if they pick us to win the Cup or finish dead last.

If this group - pretty much the same group that won it all in 2006 - can't use the fact that they DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LAST SEASON as motivation, * ain't nothin' gonna motivate them.

(* Double negative used intentionally.)

Who cares what some guys on ESPN say? I don't care if they pick us to win the Cup or finish dead last.

If this group - pretty much the same group that won it all in 2006 - can't use the fact that they DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS LAST SEASON as motivation, * ain't nothin' gonna motivate them.

(* Double negative used intentionally.)

We be from NC...grammar? Huked on foniks werked fur me...

We be from NC...grammar? Huked on foniks werked fur me...

Notice he's from Alabama though ;)

I prefer going under the radar. If, as stated before, we're picked to finish first every year, all we can do is underachieve. I prefer overachieving to underachieving

Didin't want to cause a stink on this one, just wanted to post my opinion. I believe so strongly in this team that I refuse to accept the under-dog role. I'll accept the under-achieving role, but I'll complain about it at the tail-gate. This team played about one period (not exact on this one) of ice time with the whole roster last year because of injuries. They are a legit force to win the Cup again. Screw the ratings, and screw the wannabe experts, we have a great team that should compete. Other than that I'm just glad this great sport has started playng again.

P.S. Cole goes for 50 this year

And the comment on Grammar... Come on dude... Didn't think we were being judged

Also of note, he has the Bolts finishing second in the divison and sixth in the conference (which means we would face them in the first round)

That would be awesome if the bolts and canes met in the playoffs because I don't think the Lightning has a "real rival." Sure we hate Philly, but to have a rival that we play 8 times would be pretty cool in my opinion.

That would be awesome if the bolts and canes met in the playoffs because I don't think the Lightning has a "real rival." Sure we hate Philly, but to have a rival that we play 8 times would be pretty cool in my opinion.

Thought you and Atlanta had something going near the end there. Both of you fighting for the lead spot, then that last game between the two.

Thought you and Atlanta had something going near the end there. Both of you fighting for the lead spot, then that last game between the two.

true, but if you meat a division team in the playoffs, feelings carry over for the losing team. Think about it, if it was the bolts and canes in the playoffs, we've already seen eachother 8 times before and imagine it going maybe to 7 more games. The teams would be sick of each other and want to kill the other team haha.

And the comment on Grammar... Come on dude... Didn't think we were being judged

No kidding. Seriously, exactly HOW was my grammar messed up? I used the double negative for emphasis. I probably shouldn't even pointed it out, but good lord...

I am not to crazy with his picks either.....I hope, our guys dont read them. They just need to go out each game and skate like they are fighting for the either first playoff spot or 8th seed. Whatever motivation they need to get those 2 points!

Last years finish should be enough motivation for this team.

I like getting a little respect. Plus I agree with his analysis, so I like that too. It's not like we were picked to win it all, which may get in our heads and put a small target on us. The teams with the big target are now Ottawa and Anaheim. We won't sneak up on people, but we won't be coming in as the champions anymore either. Probably the league consensus is that our cup year was a fluke, and being picked 3rd by SI won't change that. I'm saying we'll be 20-10 before anyone realizes we're back. Even then they won't believe we're that good. Third in the conference sounds about right. Of course, I am a believer.

Holy cow! I'm listening to NHL Live on XM and Eddie Olczyk thinks it will be the Ducks vs the Canes playing for the Cup this year. *passes out*

So I guess Eddie doesn't read Eklund's site :rolleyes: .

Holy cow! I'm listening to NHL Live on XM and Eddie Olczyk thinks it will be the Ducks vs the Canes playing for the Cup this year. *passes out*

So I guess Eddie doesn't read Eklund's site :rolleyes: .