The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Red_Storm

Slow starts

i think this has been a hurricane trend since forever. plus, he's only started 2 seasons with the club...and the first one didnt start off too poorly. i think with the long ofseason, we'll be fine.

Don't think we have a long enough history to start talking curses.

Edit: OK, my bad. I thought it said curses, not cures. :ph34r: Big difference.

I too have noticed this trend,not to sure why the guys don't seem to be fired-up at the beginning of a game.We also seem to give up a week goal in the 1st half of the 1st period!It would really be nice to see the guys come out flying next wednesday for the home opener!!!

That o.k. A Red Sox fan probably always thinks "curse" first...! :D

It's the coach's and captain's job to get the team fired up and ready for a game. I don't know what they do to get the team prepared for battle but they obviously need to make some changes. Imagine if the team could play every period like they do the third. They would blow away their opponents if they played to their full potential for the entire game...

I too have noticed this trend,not to sure why the guys don't seem to be fired-up at the beginning of a game.We also seem to give up a week goal in the 1st half of the 1st period!It would really be nice to see the guys come out flying next wednesday for the home opener!!!

And to take that one step further, that first weak goal seemed to come on one of the first 5 shots of the game also. I caught myself being relieved last season if we made it out of the first period without giving up a softie.

I think Lavi should make them watch dramatic war videos to get them all fired up. Then they should come out on fire! Isn't that what they did for team canada at the worlds?

I konw whenever I need to fire myself up I watch game 7 replays, but I'm not sure that would work out to well with the guys...... :lol:

another cure may be to pick one lucky Caniac for every game and have him/her go into the locker room and give them a long lecture/speech to get them fired up.

I can just see Roddy out their with a determined look on his face.... like this :~/

I personally will take the 3rd period storm. I rather they had the mentality that no matter what we can win this game in the 3rd. Cam is going to step up this year I bet he is in top 10 percent in sv% which is saying volumes since we are all holding our breath on the state of our defensive corps.

I watched the feed of the game last night up until the 3rd and the canes did get off to a slow start. We still have a lingering problem of going to the box just as we start building up steam..

Maybe, inside the locker room, the captains should start some sort of prize for the player who shows the most effort in each period of each game. Maybe not a prize, but some sort of recognition. That might get some of the guys a little more eager to get out there and play hard.

Oh, I don't know. Let's just hope that this is just due to the fact that it's preseason and this doesn't become a regular season trend again.

I personally will take the 3rd period storm. I rather they had the mentality that no matter what we can win this game in the 3rd. Cam is going to step up this year I bet he is in top 10 percent in sv% which is saying volumes since we are all holding our breath on the state of our defensive corps.

I watched the feed of the game last night up until the 3rd and the canes did get off to a slow start. We still have a lingering problem of going to the box just as we start building up steam..

I would rather them play like they give a d@mn the whole game than start slow and "decide" to play later on. My thinking is this....Start fast, because the other team will also. Keep the foot on the pedal as much as possible to wear the other team down using our training and stamina, then deliver the final blow in the 3rd when the other team is out of gas. Isnt that why stamina is so important? Outlast the other team? Make THEM catch us? We can only go to the "3rd period flurry" well so many times before it dries out. ...IMO ;)

It does get rather irritating sometimes to know the potential they have in the 3rd period and why can't they just use that the whole game, but as long as they are winning! We may never figure it out. But lets just wait until the actual season starts, maybe they will surprise us!

What was out average goals in the 3rd period from last season. Anyone know? Actually all 3 periods would be nice to know.

I don't have enough time to do any research or I would do it. :D

JR should contribute $5,000 to be split between all players on the ice for every lst period goal scored. Wouldn't work but it's an interesting idea.

We started off 2 years ago by going 10-2-1 out of the gate, or somethign close to it. How is that starting slow?

I believe the talk was of the individual games, not of the season in general..

Yes, thanks elchrisco, I was talking about a characteristic of our individual game play under Lavi...and, again, this is just a generalization. Obviously, there are many games where we've brought the A-game from the opening face-off, but it just seems to me the pattern is the team's level of play is better in the third than the first and I wondered what others thought about that opinion and, moreover, if you agree, what are the reasons for it and does it need to be fixed.

Already some interesting thoughts have been posted and I look forward to reading more.

What was out average goals in the 3rd period from last season. Anyone know? Actually all 3 periods would be nice to know.

I don't have enough time to do any research or I would do it. :D

For the Cane's, here are the goals by period the last two seasons:

2005-2006 78 98 106

2006-2007 63 80 92

Last year, the Cane's opponents followed the same pattern (though they had a few more total goals in each period). In the Stanley Cup season however, the opponents scored virtually at the same rate all three periods (83, 83, and 86).

For the Cane's, here are the goals by period the last two seasons:

2005-2006 78 98 106

2006-2007 63 80 92

Last year, the Cane's opponents followed the same pattern (though they had a few more total goals in each period). In the Stanley Cup season however, the opponents scored virtually at the same rate all three periods (83, 83, and 86).

I wonder if goals go up across the league with each period. Perhaps the defense gets more tired and play opens up more?

heres what i think may be happening, really just a made up guess but who knows.

so Lavi at the begingin of a game must try to at least fire them up a little bit right? so maybe that speech doesnt really work for the first two periods, but he comes into the locker rom after the 2nd period and gives them something different that motivates them more.

either way i would much rather see us comeback, then see us almost lose an early lead in the 3rd.

I wonder if goals go up across the league with each period. Perhaps the defense gets more tired and play opens up more?
This is certainly true for the third period. Almost every team scores more in the third period than the others (likely due to the intense play at the end and all the empty net goals). But only one team, in my quick look at the stats, showed a double-digit increase in goals between each period last season. That was Philly, but the Cane's were very close to doing that. The season before, the Cane's were one of only two teams to have a double-digit increase in goals between periods (Edmonton was the other).

This is interesting. These late surges make me wonder if the issue is slow starts or strong finishes. Could it be our depth at scoring and better conditioning allowed us (and Edmonton in the past) to take advantage of other teams in the third, whereas last year we were tired from the cup run, injuries, etc. and just could not consistantly bring it at the end.

Or maybe there is just something about our team that makes us tentative to start. I often wondered last year when one game we looked like an all star team and the next like a pee wee team: was that because of us letting down, or them picking it up/not letting down on alternate nights? Probably a combination.

Seems like we broke our little trend last night. We seemed to be a 1st period team last night.

The guys played their hearts out the 1st period. I think they got a little winded by the 3rd. Not saying that was their only problem, but....1st period team last night def.!

I thought they started well but I was disappointed that they got beat to the puck on too many occasions. It was pretty obvious they didn't match the Canadien's intensity to start the 3rd period & that was dissapointing because it reminded me of all last season.