The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
katy

Jason Karmanos resigns

No doubt he would be a good fit for JR but my question is would he want it? Basically whoever takes the job needs to be inthe grooming mode for when JR retires and after Rons long career missing his kids growing up I am not convinced that he will want to get back into Long hours, on call, pressure...Of course maybe the assistant GM job would be a little more cush but what about in a couple of years when JR is ready to go?

Call me sceptical but you just don't suddenly resign citing personal reasons just before the begining of the season... That is one of those jobs where (particularly if your Dad owns it) you announce it in February that June 1 you will be leaving because you are burnt out. I have rarely seen an example in corporate America that when a guy says he leaving for personal non medical reasons or he leaving to pursue other interests that there was not something going behind the scenes with Management or Ownership/ Board of Directors. My two cents is I ain't drinking the "I suddenly decided one week before the opening game to resign" Kool aid. I wish him well and hopefully Ron will take the job after careful consideration about the time commits.

You got that completly wrong. Jason himself said that he wanted to resign at the end of the season, but yet he didn't want to leave JR all alone during the offseason as that's where most of the work is done. He said that once preseason starts, things are in place and there's not much to do so that's why he waited.

"I've almost been there 10 years," Karmanos said. "Certainly in my position, the critical things I'm a part of happen in the off-season. Out of loyalty to Jim I didn't want to leave at a busier time. For management, at the end of training camp things basically run themselves."

http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/719077.html''>http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/719077.html' target="_blank">http://www.newsobserver.com/796/story/719077.html[/post]

This is from WRAL, it seems Ron Francis is very interested in the job:

"Canes' Francis Interested in Assistant GM Position

By Dane Huffman

Posted: Sep. 27, 2007

Updated: Sep. 28 10:59 p.m.

Raleigh

I am just curious what role if any Jason had in having the Whalers relocate to Raleigh. I just read somewhere that he played for the IceCaps which I did not realize. I was wondering if his experience with the IceCaps and this area helped influence his Dad that this would be a good place to move the franchise.