The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 10-3/Habs

I think it was JustJoe who said on the Game Day Forum that the PP looked solid with good passing but the shots lacked accuracy. (I'm hoping we also did a better job of gaining the zone with possession when we had the man advantage -- did anybody take note of that?)

Anyway, solid is good; if we can control the puck in the O zone that's a step up from last year. But the bottom line is still pretty simple: Hockey games are won and lost on the PP. Habs went 2 of 6 and we went 1 of 7.

I think it was JustJoe who said on the Game Day Forum that the PP looked solid with good passing but the shots lacked accuracy. (I'm hoping we also did a better job of gaining the zone with possession when we had the man advantage -- did anybody take note of that?)

Anyway, solid is good; if we can control the puck in the O zone that's a step up from last year. But the bottom line is still pretty simple: Hockey games are won and lost on the PP. Habs went 2 of 6 and we went 1 of 7.

It was a step up from last year in that they were able to gain the offensive zone and did have some quality shots. That being said, you just have to convert a 5 on 3, especially when you have multipe chances. That, from what I was able to see, was the game changer.

It was a step up from last year in that they were able to gain the offensive zone and did have some quality shots. That being said, you just have to convert a 5 on 3, especially when you have multipe chances. That, from what I was able to see, was the game changer.

I generally agree with TSA's post. Exciting game, I'll take the point and try not to be too bummed with the loss.

I thought Cam looked outstanding...didn't look like he had much of a chance on any of the three goals. And he made enough big stops to make (what should have been) the difference. PP looked "O.K" in the 5 on 4's, but the 5 on 3's were ineffective. Failing to score on at least one of those extended 2 man advantages was the killer. In general, our puck handling in the Offensive zone was off. Plus there seemed to be a 'soft' spot on the ice above the bench-side face off circle where the Canes shoot twice. Several Canes and a few Habs seemed to be doing a lot of falling down there for no reason (of course, a hot/humid day here in Raleigh probably doesn't make for good ice.)

Wallin can hang his head...those penalties were out of the "what was he thinking mode."

I generally agree with TSA's post. Exciting game, I'll take the point and try not to be too bummed with the loss.

I thought Cam looked outstanding...didn't look like he had much of a chance on any of the three goals. And he made enough big stops to make (what should have been) the difference. PP looked "O.K" in the 5 on 4's, but the 5 on 3's were ineffective. Failing to score on at least one of those extended 2 man advantages was the killer. In general, our puck handling in the Offensive zone was off. Plus there seemed to be a 'soft' spot on the ice above the bench-side face off circle where the Canes shoot twice. Several Canes and a few Habs seemed to be doing a lot of falling down there for no reason (of course, a hot/humid day here in Raleigh probably doesn't make for good ice.)

Wallin can hang his head...those penalties were out of the "what was he thinking mode."

He keeps taking penalties like that, and JR might start kicking himself for not trying to get the Pitkanen trade done

Tonight's game was really good all around. Cam looked really good, the D played solid, the offense got a lot of chances and they passed very well. They need to start getting the shots on net though, the first period could've ended with a 2-3 goal lead if they'd hit an open net some of the time. That's gonna come with more play though. You can't expect them to be firing on all cylinders in the first game. The same goes for the penalities. Both teams got them, but because of the Cane's inabilty to get the shots on Huet when they had him beat they couldn't capitalize.

I mean hey, we got a point, played pretty well overall and Hedican didn't completely fall apart. ;)

You don't crosscheck a player in the back and expect it to not be called

I dunno, Whitney got cross checked pretty bad and Willie took a pretty nasty late hit. The only reason that one was called was cause Brindy jumped in to defend Willie so they threw out matching penalties.

I wish I could have seen a replay on that Wallin penalty, I just didn't have a good view.

You don't crosscheck a player in the back and expect it to not be called

I dunno, Whitney got cross checked pretty bad and Willie took a pretty nasty late hit. The only reason that one was called was cause Brindy jumped in to defend Willie so they threw out matching penalties.

I wish I could have seen a replay on that Wallin penalty, I just didn't have a good view.

Overall it looked a like a first game back together. Gaining the offensive zone passing was not crisp at all... There was too much fumbling for the puck on stretch passes etc... Just sloppy but that will improve.

Defensively Wallin looked pretty bad, Timmy is still coming along, Commie not a bad performance pretty sound positioning majority of the time, Kaberle didnt really move the puck all that well he didn't look in synch at all, Wesley made several great body saves as usual.

Third period the boys really looked like they lost their wind/ legs. Took some REALLY bad penalties and several that weren't even called. They better bring their A game Friday becasue if they play like they did tonight it wont be pretty. Not a bad first game and I will take the point.

Tonight's game was really good all around. Cam looked really good, the D played solid, the offense got a lot of chances and they passed very well. They need to start getting the shots on net though, the first period could've ended with a 2-3 goal lead if they'd hit an open net some of the time. That's gonna come with more play though. You can't expect them to be firing on all cylinders in the first game. The same goes for the penalities. Both teams got them, but because of the Cane's inabilty to get the shots on Huet when they had him beat they couldn't capitalize.

I mean hey, we got a point, played pretty well overall and Hedican didn't completely fall apart. ;)

Couldn't hit an open net...agree...but they could hit the post!! I recall one loud ringer in the first. I was sitting at the other end and maybe missed others. John Forslund on the radio post-game said the Cane's actually hit three posts in the first period. Hope they've gotten that out of their system!

On our D-side, one thing that bothered me in hind-sight was the way Koivu was allowed to park in front of Cam on several occasions including their first goal (likely hampered Cam's vision on the goal). Commodore needed to do a better job enforcing there.

What I saw tonight was a team with some new pieces that hasn't completely gelled yet. Throw in some missed opportunities and bad plays.

However, we are vastly improved over last year.

Lets get all our bad and messy play out of the way early this season. Overall I thought the boys looked great, we should have scored like 4 goals in the 1st with so many hitting the post. We got dominated in the 3rd but im glad Hedican tied it up for all the haters, who had him scoring a goal in game 1?? It sucks we lost but we did get a point so its not all bad, the D needs to play better in front of Cam who was amazing tonight, he's gona be so good this year. Friday will be better, I can't wait!!!

What I saw tonight was a team with some new pieces that hasn't completely gelled yet. Throw in some missed opportunities and bad plays.

Not to mention, they were forced to reshuffle the 1st line at the last minute when Stillman couldn't play. If he's healthy, he can really control the play for that line and makes them that much better.

Not to mention, they were forced to reshuffle the 1st line at the last minute when Stillman couldn't play. If he's healthy, he can really control the play for that line and makes them that much better.

Every aspect of the powerplay was solid, except for the accuracy of the shots. We controlled the puck in Montreal's zone, the passes were crisp for the most part, and shots were taken where there was an opportunity (a major problem last year). The only problem was that the shots were off target for the most part. Montreal presented plenty of opportunities to put the game away in our favor, we just couldn't get the bounces to fall our way. At one point Andrew Ladd was out in front of the net all alone, Walker looked to pass to him, but a Montreal player got his stick in the way at the last minute to deflect the puck into the crowd. A shot from the point was deflected by Cullen on the way towards the goal and missed the open net by mere inches. The Ray Whitney shot that Huet stopped at the last possible moment. For two periods, they looked like the Carolina Hurricanes that hoisted the Stanley Cup. It was the return of the '06-'07 Hurricanes in the second and overtime periods that lost the game for us.

Everyone has singled out Cam Ward for his play tonight, so I'll single out Tim Gleason. He had a very active stick tonight and knew how to use it to take the puck away from whichever Montreal player had it around him. Of all of our defenders, I think he was the best tonight. I don't want to even comment about #7, I refuse to call him by name anymore.

I think looking back at the game, not having stillman in really threw everything off having to shuffle the lines at the last minute. Both teams had its fair share of penalties, habs just settled down later and we got sloppy later. I think we had some good chances on the pp, and those will start to find the back of the net, Huet was playing great and had some clangers off the post from what I heard on the radio.

Not scoring on the 2 5-3's as everyone has mentioned was the single in-game difference, the momentum to me seemed to favor the habs from then.

We got a point, which is better then the nothing we would have got if it were not for hedican's goal.

I got a feeling the PP will improve, we were taking and getting the shots, just the timing and accuracy was a little off. The one thing that needs the most work is controlling our penalties. You just can't take a penalty in OT... more often you are handing the game over to the other team.

but thats what I can tell happened from 1/2 the game on habs feed to 1/2 the game with chuck screaming giving me a heart attack every shot.

Only problem I have is that this is alot like how last season started. We looked solid last year in the shootout loss to a Buffalo team that was much more talented than this Montreal team. It all went downhill after that, hope this season doesn't play out the same way.

Only problem I have is that this is alot like how last season started. We looked solid last year in the shootout loss to a Buffalo team that was much more talented than this Montreal team. It all went downhill after that, hope this season doesn't play out the same way.

Shhh, stay positive. Its way too early the predict that. If we're still having these concerns in late November....its time to re-visit.

Shhh, stay positive. Its way too early the predict that. If we're still having these concerns in late November....its time to re-visit.

Everyone has singled out Cam Ward for his play tonight, so I'll single out Tim Gleason. He had a very active stick tonight and knew how to use it to take the puck away from whichever Montreal player had it around him. Of all of our defenders, I think he was the best tonight. I don't want to even comment about #7, I refuse to call him by name anymore.

I have to agree about the Gleason comments, there were 1 or 2 occasion that he gave up position but thats hockey. Anyone else notice the extreme pressure on the PK? Walker is another who sticks out at playing with an edge.

I have to agree about the Gleason comments, there were 1 or 2 occasion that he gave up position but thats hockey. Anyone else notice the extreme pressure on the PK? Walker is another who sticks out at playing with an edge.

From what I saw, Cullen had a pretty good game but what was up with the ice??? He had a couple of missed chances but did set up a few too. Didn't seem like anybody could stay on their feet in the third period. 100% humidity outside couldn't help.