The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 10-3/Habs

I have to agree about the Gleason comments, there were 1 or 2 occasion that he gave up position but thats hockey. Anyone else notice the extreme pressure on the PK? Walker is another who sticks out at playing with an edge.

From what I saw, Cullen had a pretty good game but what was up with the ice??? He had a couple of missed chances but did set up a few too. Didn't seem like anybody could stay on their feet in the third period. 100% humidity outside couldn't help.

From what I saw, Cullen had a pretty good game but what was up with the ice??? He had a couple of missed chances but did set up a few too. Didn't seem like anybody could stay on their feet in the third period. 100% humidity outside couldn't help.

Sending water to an area badly in drought, or keeping the ice cool and solid....what to choose, what to choose lol

Sending water to an area badly in drought, or keeping the ice cool and solid....what to choose, what to choose lol

Neither, it didn't rain and the ice obviously sucked tonight, LOL.

Neither, it didn't rain and the ice obviously sucked tonight, LOL.

I have to agree about the Gleason comments, there were 1 or 2 occasion that he gave up position but thats hockey. Anyone else notice the extreme pressure on the PK? Walker is another who sticks out at playing with an edge.

Gleason did well. I thought Kaberle looked sloooowww. Cam Ward looked good and made some excellent saves (Junior year!) Ice slushy. Defense gave up too much time to shooter in the slot. The crowd was ok (alot of empty seats, though). Refs missed alot of the game IMO. Looking forward to Fri and Crosby. GO CANES!!!! :lol:

You know the only call I really couldn't figure out was Goalie Interference on The Captain....I thought it was a pretty cheap call. Did anyone else think this?

~UDC

Hmmm, what period? I remember Roddie went off for something and I never found out what it was.

overall not much to disagree with in prev posts, but'll add this: Hamilton was a smart addition to the 4th line - I liked his control of the puck up on the point - if we could just hit the back of the net rather than the post. Let's just please have Stillman back and at full strength... when you have to mix and match lines this early the outcome usually isn't good (usually worse than tonight, so maybe that's a good sign?)- just kinda throws everything out of sync

Okay, my .02. I like to end on a positive note, so let's begin with the negatives, and there really weren't that many serious negatives other than the 5 on 3's and Wallin's play tonight (which everyone has already mentioned). A lot of rust out there tonight. Rusty refs ... refs miss calls every game and the misses were pretty equal on both sides, but you GOTTA get out of the way of the puck and the players ... messed us up seveal times. Rusty team ... we looked like a really good team that has not played together as a unit in game situations. That's to be expected since this IS the first time they've played as a unit this year and had to get the chemistry going, passing, shot accuracy at game speed, line changes (late game too many men penalty). Several times one player would pass one direction just as the intended player would break in another direction. That will work itself out soon ... you can just tell. I don't know if anyone else noticed or not, tell me if I'm crazy, but at times, the D looked like they didn't know what their assignment was so they just crowded around the net and got in the way of Cam. I think that will work itself out as well. Overall, I think we can quickly overcome those things.

NOW ... POSITIVES: Cam was a beast ... quicker post to post and down to buttefly and right back up. Hedican looked like the old Hedican ... nah, let's not say old Hedican, let's say the Hedican of previous times ... very solid and quick ... looks like he's recovered very well. Wesley is already laying himself out to block shots. The TEAM was moving the puck up through the neutral zone as a unit ... okay, it was Montreal, but I still count it as a positive. We had 1st period energy. LaRose does NOT have a knee problem ... great job tonight. Finally, I know we only cashed in on 1 PP, BUT, the puck movement on our PP was better than anytime last year!!!! So ... even in an OT loss, I see good things on the horizon very very soon.

As Icefrogg mentioned in a previous post .... I guess we'll have to settle for 81-0-1!!!

Okay, my .02. I like to end on a positive note, so let's begin with the negatives, and there really weren't that many serious negatives other than the 5 on 3's and Wallin's play tonight (which everyone has already mentioned). A lot of rust out there tonight. Rusty refs ... refs miss calls every game and the misses were pretty equal on both sides, but you GOTTA get out of the way of the puck and the players ... messed us up seveal times. Rusty team ... we looked like a really good team that has not played together as a unit in game situations. That's to be expected since this IS the first time they've played as a unit this year and had to get the chemistry going, passing, shot accuracy at game speed, line changes (late game too many men penalty). Several times one player would pass one direction just as the intended player would break in another direction. That will work itself out soon ... you can just tell. I don't know if anyone else noticed or not, tell me if I'm crazy, but at times, the D looked like they didn't know what their assignment was so they just crowded around the net and got in the way of Cam. I think that will work itself out as well. Overall, I think we can quickly overcome those things.

NOW ... POSITIVES: Cam was a beast ... quicker post to post and down to buttefly and right back up. Hedican looked like the old Hedican ... nah, let's not say old Hedican, let's say the Hedican of previous times ... very solid and quick ... looks like he's recovered very well. Wesley is already laying himself out to block shots. The TEAM was moving the puck up through the neutral zone as a unit ... okay, it was Montreal, but I still count it as a positive. We had 1st period energy. LaRose does NOT have a knee problem ... great job tonight. Finally, I know we only cashed in on 1 PP, BUT, the puck movement on our PP was better than anytime last year!!!! So ... even in an OT loss, I see good things on the horizon very very soon.

As Icefrogg mentioned in a previous post .... I guess we'll have to settle for 81-0-1!!!

going to disagree with you on one point, LaRose... for 2 reasons 1) I saw him go down the first day of camp, and he was seriously PO'ed when he got up and you could tell from the look on his face he was hurt and 2) yes, he looked very good, but with a slight hesitation that he didn't used to have... he did look better and better as the game progressed, but he wasn't quite the speed deamon he usually is

Excellent job with the post game analysis folks, I now feel like I acually saw more of the game than I really did, LOL.

And great job keeping to just the hockey.

Edit: Whoa, Im watching ESPN and there's Eric Staal celebrating his PP goal??????????? Has hell froze over that ESPN is showing NHL clips, let alone Canes clips?????

Excellent job with the post game analysis folks, I now feel like I acually saw more of the game than I really did, LOL.

And great job keeping to just the hockey.

Edit: Whoa, Im watching ESPN and there's Eric Staal celebrating his PP goal??????????? Has hell froze over that ESPN is showing NHL clips, let alone Canes clips?????

I think Chad is just a little rusty & maybe that knee is still just a little tender. I don't think it'll be long before he returns to being his old self & the gnat of the NHL again.

Hmmm, what period? I remember Roddie went off for something and I never found out what it was.

I'm pretty sure it was the end of the first. He came across the front of the net and bumped Huet and Huet fell down like he'd been run into.

I'm pretty sure it was the end of the first. He came across the front of the net and bumped Huet and Huet fell down like he'd been run into.

He dove like an Olympic diver!!

They showed replays on RDS and I think Brindy's skate touched Huet's skate briefly. He wasn't even in the crease!

~UDC

They showed replays on RDS and I think Brindy's skate touched Huet's skate briefly. He wasn't even in the crease!

~UDC

I was sitting in good eye shot of that penalty (it was one of the few focused moments I had) and Brindy barely touched him. When they made the call, I assumed it was going to be a very tightly called game and hey, Brindy did "touch" him. The problem was, that they called some stuff very tightly and not other things. I hope ref consistency won't be too big of an issue this season, maybe they were just getting the cob webs out too.

~UDC

I was sitting in good eye shot of that penalty (it was one of the few focused moments I had) and Brindy barely touched him. When they made the call, I assumed it was going to be a very tightly called game and hey, Brindy did "touch" him. The problem was, that they called some stuff very tightly and not other things. I hope ref consistency won't be too big of an issue this season, maybe they were just getting the cob webs out too.

No one else thought the Canes were a little too fancy on the odd man rushes, making the unnecessary extra pass? I hate criticizing cause its exciting hockey, but I kept getting frustrated when someone had a chance from a decent angle but passed it up to another player while the Habs defensemen clearly were anticipating it.

I think more shots need to get on goal to create rebounds and the canes gotta bury the rebounds and gets some garbage goals, only line I saw this from was the 3rd line as walker and cullen were banging away, trying wrap-arounds and stuff ins. They weren't successful tonight but it still kept the puck in the zone and they rarely turned over the puck and it will result in goals in the future. Hopefully Stillman comes back on friday, it obviously adds another element to the offense and puts the lines back in order (no disrespect to ladd tonight, he wasn't bad at all offensively, but can't create chances like stillman).

Yes, last year we spent an inordinant amount of ice time endlessly passing the puck around in alleged attempts to set up shots that never transpired. "NBA hockey" I called it. This fruitless waste of time used to make me wild when we had several guys who were masters of the chip and dump. I don't care if a goal is a so-called 'garbage goal' - the won/loss column has no asterisks for the kinds of goal shots resulting in scores! Oh, and then there were the LOVELY clean passes to members of the opposing teams. sigh. Please gentlemen, let us not repeat the nightmare!

Well, Game 1 is over and done with. They know what they have to work on, and I'm sure that the coaches gave them and will give them an earful before they take the ice against the Penguins.

It was so nice to have Bret Hedican score a goal his first game back. I know that will lighten his spirit - he has refused to give up his hockey and tonite the hockey gods smiled on him. More of that, please - a LOT more!

Come back, Come back Mr. Stillman !!!! Your absence leaves a gaping hole in our game. Get the man a driver (reference: fender bender accident that left him bruised) and let's keep him safe! I can't imagine that there is anyone who does not understand his value to this team, but tonite was proof. The Canes without Cory is like a man without one of his arms.

I'm glad I couldn't see the wasted 5-on-3's; I would have gone ballistic. It's easy to say, 'Oh, it's just the first game - they'll tighten up and everything will be fine.' ...here's hoping Lavi pastes some butts to the wall. We started out with these rookie mistakes last year and it never fixed itself. This is the Big Dance. We are loaded with veteran hockey players who KNOW what needs to be done and how to do it. Hello???? Fix the Slop!

Speaking of which.... too bad about the humidity and its effect on the ice. Not much you can do about that unless you put the entire arena into the deep freeze. I have no problem with that but I'm comfy and unfrostbitten out here in No Hockey Land!

(another 'speaking of which': Sprint Center opens next week. I drove completely around her this afternoon and she is a beauty! They are working at high speed now... all the landscaping is in, they are finalizing some of the concrete work on the perimeters... This thing is smack dab in the middle of downtown, completely surrounded by existing buildings... she's a giant elliptical "silver" bowl that is breathtaking. The window washers are going to keep busy washing all those panes of glass. The entire bowl is glass of different kinds that both reflects and absorbs. Just spectacular. And no hockey. What a shame!)

Goal tending was great,not much help from the D-men ,other that Gleason and Commodore.Bret's skating looked good but he looked a little timid around the boards.He seemed to really shy away from any contact and just skated with the Montreal players.Wallin,Kabs were pretty much no shows accept for Nicks penalties!I thought the offense was pretty good,got some great quality scoring chances and just couldn't hit the back of the net,but did great hitting the posts.Was nice to see the team standing up for each other when it was needed!Matt looked good back in a Canes sweater and Hamilton played a very good game,both are big additions to the team..PP looked good as far as puck movement and keepng the zone, just couldn't score but i think they are pretty close to nailing that down.PP-kill was pretty good,just got some nice shots and some redirected shots,needs to get the man out from in front of Cam,without crosschecking!!!(NICK).I think the team is going to have a good year,wasn't a bad game,just had a bad outcome!!Definetly room for improvement but on the right track!!

Thought the team looked good with good effort from everyone. D has to tighten it up abit..40 shots is too many to give up..Cam stopped 37 of them! And when given two 5 on 3's, you need to capitalize on at least one of them! But a great 4 minute penaly kill late in the game!

I agree with most of the post above. I was maybe a bit harder on my grading of the guys though because it looked pretty sloppy out there more than it looked good. I figure some of the jumpiness was having their first real game and being overly excited to get the season started and kick some butt... and the line changes. I saw both teams making errors, but ours seem to just be more costly. Cam did a great job in the net. I was really worried about how rusty he would look, but he gave me a sigh of relief. Walker was doing a great job also, he seemed to be everywhere. Justin didn't seem to shoot out of the box like he normally does, was really weird. I also noticed some of our players were not on the ice as much as they have been in the past and I did wonder about that, but assume it may of had to do with line shifts?

I don't think it was a bad game, just looked very much like a 1st game where things were not meshed yet. Montreal settled down and got their game going faster than we did and we took some bad penalities as the game progressed. Overall, not too bad and the OT was pretty exciting....well the fact we went to overtime. I was on the edge of my seat most of the 2nd and 3rd periods. Maybe I was just too overly excited to be there!

He keeps taking penalties like that, and JR might start kicking himself for not trying to get the Pitkanen trade done

How many times do you have to be told that Wallin has a no trade clause?? There was/is nothing JR can do about that, it is just business!! We don't know that Pitkanen would have been the difference tonight, enough on Wallin already!!

How many times do you have to be told that Wallin has a no trade clause?? There was/is nothing JR can do about that, it is just business!! We don't know that Pitkanen would have been the difference tonight, enough on Wallin already!!

Yeah, it surprises me that people don't understand that Wallin used his NO TRADE CLAUSE to stop the deal. He didn't want to go to Philly although JR wanted him to.

Do you think that potential trade has anything to do with how poorly he is playing?

~UDC

Yeah, it surprises me that people don't understand that Wallin used his NO TRADE CLAUSE to stop the deal. He didn't want to go to Philly although JR wanted him to.

Do you think that potential trade has anything to do with how poorly he is playing?

~UDC

Not really, it is the first game of the season and most of the guys didn't look as sharp as they did last friday! Last friday that had their swagger going, they need to get it back.