The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 10-3/Habs

Did we or should we have acknowledged Montreal's Roman Hamrlick's milestone 1000th game last night even though he played for Montreal? They may have announced it and I missed it, but I think we should have if we didn't (if they did-please disregard). When Brindy got his 1000th point milestone goal last year in Ottawa, it was announced there and he was given a nice applause recognition from the Ottawa fans. Actually it was even acknowledged by Ottawa and the fans first before Tripp or John even mentioned it minutes later, they seemed to not even realize that he was close to this milestone that night.

Did we or should we have acknowledged Montreal's Roman Hamrlick's milestone 1000th game last night even though he played for Montreal? They may have announced it and I missed it, but I think we should have if we didn't (if they did-please disregard). When Brindy got his 1000th point milestone goal last year in Ottawa, it was announced there and he was given a nice applause recognition from the Ottawa fans. Actually it was even acknowledged by Ottawa and the fans first before Tripp or John even mentioned it minutes later, they seemed to not even realize that he was close to this milestone that night.
Yes, it was announced and posted on the JumboTron too (in the Second Period, I think) and he got a nice round of applause from the RBC faithful, which was good.

We did acknowledge during the game with PA announcement and jumbotron focusing on Hamrlick.

My concerns with the game last night:

- ice evidently causing missed passes, slipping skates, etc

- mis-communication...several times Canes players ran into each other, etc, knocking each other down

- not clearing the puck. D-men on several occasions held onto puck a bit too long, and instead of being able to clear the puck easily, waited too long and then were forced to eat the puck

However, those things are easily solved.

--Mike

We did acknowledge during the game with PA announcement and jumbotron focusing on Hamrlick.

My concerns with the game last night:

- ice evidently causing missed passes, slipping skates, etc

- mis-communication...several times Canes players ran into each other, etc, knocking each other down

- not clearing the puck. D-men on several occasions held onto puck a bit too long, and instead of being able to clear the puck easily, waited too long and then were forced to eat the puck

However, those things are easily solved.

--Mike

I did not see the game but it seems like the defense was shaky just like last year

I hope this changes or it will be a struggle to make the playoffs again :blink:

Yes, it was announced and posted on the JumboTron too (in the Second Period, I think) and he got a nice round of applause from the RBC faithful, which was good.

Thanks for posting and this is nice to know. I was in the eye for first 10 minutes of 2nd period trying to get refund from bought pants from last week. Sorry I missed it, but glad we did that for him, I feel better now! :rolleyes:

PP looked pretty good early on, but steadily regressed as the game went on. Wallin was horrible from his stupid penalties to his puck handling. Cam was excellent I thought And Commodore put a killer hit on somebody. I have been looking for a clip of that hit but have struck out so far.

PP looked pretty good early on, but steadily regressed as the game went on. Wallin was horrible from his stupid penalties to his puck handling. Cam was excellent I thought And Commodore put a killer hit on somebody. I have been looking for a clip of that hit but have struck out so far.

That was an awesome hit. It almost looked like a hip check to the face.

Other than that, they team looked pretty good overall. Cam Ward really was lightning fast. That diving save in the first period reminded me of a certain Stanley Cup run. Hedican looked really fast out there and scored a goal, but I didn't see any big hits from him. The offense looked fairly good, but you could tell we definitely need Stillman back on the first line. Ladd would be much more helpful on the third line. One thing I did notice was 'Canes players getting pushed around a lot. I'm not sure if it was the bad ice conditions, like some people brought up, or that we're just a relatively small team. We have a lot of people under 6'. All in all, I think this loss will be a good motivator to improve all the good things we saw last night and to change all the bad. I can't wait until Sid comes to town.

Here's my 2 cents:

1st period came out strong and energized. First PP was like 05-06 playoff PP, crisp passing, Cole in front of the net. Staal looked sharp on the point. Rest of our PPs weren't so great. I do think the PPs looked better than last year, but there's still work to be done in that area. I do believe Hamilton and Cullen are calming factors on the point and once they get more games in, I believe the PP will click.

Cam was very solid. He looked sharped, poised, and confidant. He didn't deserve the loss, and some could say neither would Huet, but the fact we had Huet beat atleast 5 times, and couldn't capitalize, this game could have been way out of Montreal's control. Huet definetly owes his goalpost a couple drinks and the Canes for going wide.

Refs were crap at the end, especially Dwyer, but the game should have been won by the canes before the 3rd period and the game shouldn't gave gone to OT. When you have two 5-on-3s for 2:12, you need to capitalize on alteast one of those. However, Dwyer, was an *edit*. How he misses a blatent trip when LaRose goes flying is beyond me. I looked over at Lavi and I thought he was gonna jump over the boards and beat the crap out of the refs, he was pissed. Not to mention Montreal interfered with Cam that was missed. The cross check to Williams that was missed, etc. Not to mention that cross checking on Wallin in OT, was crap. He barely touched him. But whats done is done, and like I mentioned before, all the blame can't go on the refs, Montreal was able to capitalize on their PPs as they got all 3 goals on the PP, and we didn't.

Bright spots:

Hedican. He looked good and it was nice to see him excited about his tying goal as well as his teammates. Fingers are staying crossed that he remains healthy cause we sure need him.

Defense was pretty solid. There were a couple breakdowns, for the most part, I thought they played well, exception to Wallin who was just horrible IMO. Gleason is still coming into his own, but he's only 24, I did like some plays he made and thought he read a couple good plays.

Staal I thought looked real good and looked to be back in his 0-06 form. He had the competitive edge back and was winning battles along the boards. Ladd I thought was decent, but I don't think he's ready for Cole and Staal. I really hope Stillman will be back Friday. Walker and Cullen are just a joy to watch, period. And can I just say, its great having Cullen back. Larose was typical LaRose, a gnat, and gotta love him. He's really turning into a good PKer.

To be honest, I thought the guys did well in their first game, especially with having to adjust to line changes at the last minute. There are things that can be taken from this game to improve on, but they are headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see the game last night. Thanks to everyone for their take on the game.

Defense looked on the money, Minus MTL's go-ahead goal. The one in which Commodore I think, gave up on his man. I Tell, was Walker playing defense or the wing, he had a few blocks himself.

Did they forget about the diving penalty. Wallin gave him a little shouder and the Montreal guy went down like someone shot him. It was crap, but it happens.

I disagree about the Gleason comments above. He looked a step slow and had some bad turnovers.

We went the first 5 minutes of the 3rd period without being able to pass the puck up the ice.

The effort was there, but we need to get the puck on the net more.

Oh well, 81-0-1 will have to do ;)

Listening to XM today, I'll quote:

"That cross checking penalty called on Wallin on OT was so questionable and if they were going to call that, then they should have called the matching diving penalty. I'm a Montreal fan and its just plain embarassing to win a game that way."

"That cross checking penalty called on Wallin on OT was so questionable and if they were going to call that, then they should have called the matching diving penalty. I'm a Montreal fan and its just plain embarassing to win a game that way."

Too easy to blame Wallin for the OTL last night. Instead give credit to Huet, Koivu and company for coming down here ready to play and making the most of their chances - especially on the PP.

Please no more cute ceremonies before the games -(10th anniversary or whatever) - it sucked almost as bad as last year and the 2 (count em) - 2 banner raising ceremonies before the 1st 2 home games when we lost to the slugs and NJ.

Give me more hockey and less ceremonies.

LETS GO CANES

Too easy to blame Wallin for the OTL last night. Instead give credit to Huet, Koivu and company for coming down here ready to play and making the most of their chances - especially on the PP.

Please no more cute ceremonies before the games -(10th anniversary or whatever) - it sucked almost as bad as last year and the 2 (count em) - 2 banner raising ceremonies before the 1st 2 home games when we lost to the slugs and NJ.

LETS GO CANES

Good post, Koivu came to play and did a great job of parking himself in the right place at the right time.

I posted that XM quote just for an outside opinion (on NorthAmerican radio). Wallin did not lose that game for us, or even cost us the game. If a few of those post shots bounced the right way, or the guys actually converted a 5 on 3, they would have won the game cleanly without OT....period.

But yes, Wallin could stand to play a little more responsibly IMO.

LETS GO CANES

Good post, Koivu came to play and did a great job of parking himself in the right place at the right time.

I posted that XM quote just for an outside opinion (on NorthAmerican radio). Wallin did not lose that game for us, or even cost us the game. If a few of those post shots bounced the right way, or the guys actually converted a 5 on 3, they would have won the game cleanly without OT....period.

But yes, Wallin could stand to play a little more responsibly IMO.

LETS GO CANES

Actually, I didn't even find the ceremony before the game that cute at all. The video history was fine, but so hard to hear. When they actually dropped the banner, it seemed like an afterthought.

"Oh yeah, here's a banner."

If they're going to do something like that, at least allow Rutherford or someone to make a few comments, thanking the fans, etc.

But, at least it went fast, unlike Francis' banner going to the top...taking like 10 minutes a year or two ago.

I bet #7 feels worse than anyone - he knows it wasn't a good effort - he will be better tomorrow night.

The whole team needs to be better - hate to see only 1 point out of 1st 2 home games with a 6 game road trip next.

Just say no to pre game flag ceremonies.

I can't believe everyone is bashing Nic Wallin. Both of those calls were questionable, at best, and the one in overtime was a complete phantom call. The play was whistled dead, the ref noticed 2 players on the ice and then raised his arm and called a cross check. Tell me how that is Nic's fault. I've been hearing the analysis of the game on "Home Ice" and down the line, every single commentator says those calls on Nic were garbage.

Gleason was good? I thought he had a horrible game. Innefective, standing around while the Habs skated around him like he was a pylon. Mike Commodore and Glen Wesley were the best defensemen out there. Hedican had his goal, which is great, but he was anything but noticeable in making defensive plays.

The power play does indeed gain the zone and move the puck, but the players are stationary. They need to be moving their feet to get the box to open up so they have shooting lanes or an odd numbered chance. In spite of the bad calls, I agree that the reason they lost the game was their failure to convert at least one of the 5 on 3's. The PK wasn't anything near as good as pre-season, either. Lots of running around in the defensive zone.

My .02. Felt like someone had to speak up on Nic's behalf.

I did think some of the refs calls were BS like the first call on Nikky, but the one in overtime I thought was a crosscheck, But we could have won that game 4 or 5 to 1, We need to work on our PP and our PP defense, they scored all there goals on the PP and not being able to score on 2, 5 on 3's has to change, lets get all this out of the way early, I think if Stillman would have played it would have helped.I do think Glen and Mike were our best Dman but im happy for Hedican, BUT all those guys have to play better infront of Cam as 2 of their goals were from break downs on D and leavin Cam to fend for himself that has top change along with the PP defense like I said. 1

I can't believe everyone is bashing Nic Wallin. Both of those calls were questionable, at best, and the one in overtime was a complete phantom call. The play was whistled dead, the ref noticed 2 players on the ice and then raised his arm and called a cross check. Tell me how that is Nic's fault. I've been hearing the analysis of the game on "Home Ice" and down the line, every single commentator says those calls on Nic were garbage.

Gleason was good? I thought he had a horrible game. Innefective, standing around while the Habs skated around him like he was a pylon. Mike Commodore and Glen Wesley were the best defensemen out there. Hedican had his goal, which is great, but he was anything but noticeable in making defensive plays.

The power play does indeed gain the zone and move the puck, but the players are stationary. They need to be moving their feet to get the box to open up so they have shooting lanes or an odd numbered chance. In spite of the bad calls, I agree that the reason they lost the game was their failure to convert at least one of the 5 on 3's. The PK wasn't anything near as good as pre-season, either. Lots of running around in the defensive zone.

My .02. Felt like someone had to speak up on Nic's behalf.

I agree. I do, however think Gleason did play better than Hedican. At least he would make an attempt to keep the puck in their zone. I didn't see that of Hedican. I also think Hedican is still very concerned with putting his entire body full force into a check. The one I saw, I thought was very weak. We need defensemen who can check when needed.

Another XM bit. Denis Potvin, my favorite Panthers color man, was on at his normal slot 8:30am this morning. Well he and the other guy were discussing our game last night and they both talked about how great the game was and how it was like a playoff game. Potvin even said that Carolina is going to be a team to beat this year, which I know that was hard for him to say since he dislikes us so much.