The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Post Game Analysis 10-3/Habs

Another XM bit. Denis Potvin, my favorite Panthers color man, was on at his normal slot 8:30am this morning. Well he and the other guy were discussing our game last night and they both talked about how great the game was and how it was like a playoff game. Potvin even said that Carolina is going to be a team to beat this year, which I know that was hard for him to say since he dislikes us so much.

OMG!!!! *looks around to make sure all furniture is out of the way before passing out*

Another XM bit. Denis Potvin, my favorite Panthers color man, was on at his normal slot 8:30am this morning. Well he and the other guy were discussing our game last night and they both talked about how great the game was and how it was like a playoff game. Potvin even said that Carolina is going to be a team to beat this year, which I know that was hard for him to say since he dislikes us so much.

OMG!!!! *looks around to make sure all furniture is out of the way before passing out*

I can't believe everyone is bashing Nic Wallin. Both of those calls were questionable, at best, and the one in overtime was a complete phantom call. The play was whistled dead, the ref noticed 2 players on the ice and then raised his arm and called a cross check. Tell me how that is Nic's fault. I've been hearing the analysis of the game on "Home Ice" and down the line, every single commentator says those calls on Nic were garbage.

Gleason was good? I thought he had a horrible game. Innefective, standing around while the Habs skated around him like he was a pylon. Mike Commodore and Glen Wesley were the best defensemen out there. Hedican had his goal, which is great, but he was anything but noticeable in making defensive plays.

The power play does indeed gain the zone and move the puck, but the players are stationary. They need to be moving their feet to get the box to open up so they have shooting lanes or an odd numbered chance. In spite of the bad calls, I agree that the reason they lost the game was their failure to convert at least one of the 5 on 3's. The PK wasn't anything near as good as pre-season, either. Lots of running around in the defensive zone.

My .02. Felt like someone had to speak up on Nic's behalf.

Personally I wasn't bashing Wallin for those 2 calls as I don't think he committed those penalties. I'm bashing Nic for his turnovers and just all around not decent play.

Gleason I didn't think have a horrible game. Was he the best defenseman out there, No. He made mistakes, but he also made some great plays and he read some plays very well that he was able to break up anything Montreal tried to start. To say he had a horrible game is stretching it a bit. Yes, there's still more for him to learn, but I thought he made enough good plays, to even out the not so good plays.

But this is the joy of message boards, everyone has different opinions and sees the game differently.

ok, so at least I'm not the only one that thinks those calls on Wallin were complete and total BS... call him for tripping when he got the puck first, right after a Habs player did the same thing to LaRose on a breakaway with no call made (that was the correct call - he did get the puck first) then call Wallin for a crosscheck right after Williams is crosschecked into the bench... it's beyond bad reffing and becoming insulting...

I think what some are saying about the PP is that it wasn't good, but it looked better than last years. We were able to skate the puck down instead of dumping and chasing it. Something we did all the time last year. The passing was a bit better and they were able to keep the puck in the zone more often than not. Does it need work still, yes, but when you compare it to last year's it does look a bit better. And I actually think having Kaberle and Cullen back with the addition of Hamilton its going to get better.

You have to remember, we were playing the Canadians. This is a team that didn't really do anything to their team from last season. Most predictions had the Canes winning the game by a goal or two. If you can't capitalize with a 5 on 3, something is wrong. Our play was a bit (a smidgen) better than last year but again, it was the Canadians. They finished the season with 90 points last year and we finished with I think 88 points. Again, I'm just thinking with our moves we made over the summer; it should have put us over the top since they did nothing to their team. I know it is only one game and the true test will come when they play Pits, Buffalo, Rangers...well you get the idea. Like Chuck said last night, the first game is a good indicator of how the team will play throughout the year. I hope he is wrong because we are screwed. From last nights game, we will play good enough to barley miss the playoffs again.

My opinion is about the same as everyone's, but here it is.

Cam did very well considering the defense hung him out to dry. I don't know who could have stopped the pucks he did let by. The PK was having trouble clearing the puck, they looked a little hesitant. Several players running into each other which I guess will improve. Good looking early PP but back to old habits later on. The team looked a little lethargic in the 2nd but got better again late in the period and into the 3rd. I thought Williams slowed up with the puck too much in the neutral zone. 5 on 3's, what can I say. Several players looked pretty good last night. The guys were shooting more at times than we saw last year, and that was a welcome sight. We just need to find the back of the net.

I tip my hat to our Captain for coming to the defense of Williams after that late hit. That should not have been equal penalties on each side.

Overall, good game, bad result. We did get a point, so all was not lost. We had a good time tailgating and drinking cold ones before the game. The game was pretty good. There were more empty seats than we should have on opening night. We stayed after and did the autograph thing. A lot of players zipped right by, which happens a lot after losses. A few stopped and signed. Many thanks to you, you know who you are.

Question for those who like participating in this thread....

Do we want a post game analysis thread for the away games too? It doesn't make too much sense to post one when the game isn't televised (cause most people won't have seen it) but what about the televised away games?

Do we want a post game analysis thread for the away games too? It doesn't make too much sense to post one when the game isn't televised (cause most people won't have seen it) but what about the televised away games?

That first goal is now credited back to Staal.

Text taken from News and Observer Lord Stanley's Blog

Further replay reviews confirmed that Eric Staal scored the Hurricanes' first goal after all Wednesday night. The scoring change was made official this morning.

Staal initially was credited with the goal off a power-play shot from the right point in the Hurricanes' 3-2 overtime loss to the Montreal Canadiens. But the first period goal went into the books Wednesday night as a goal for Erik Cole, whom officials credited with deflecting Staal's shot after reviewing replays.

No word from Bob Saget or anyone from the NHL this morning on the definitive video clip that put this debate (hopefully) to rest.

Here's my take on the game, and forgive me if I'm repeating what others have said.

The Hurricanes didn't play horribly (I've seen them play far worse), but they didn't play very well either. As a team, I thought our play in the offensive end was pretty good, though of course the time we spent there was limited due to the excessive number of penalties we took. I thought the goaltending was sound, if erratic. Cam made some amazing saves in the first period, but, at other times, looked like he was fighting the puck a bit, especially with his glove hand. To me, he never looked very comfortable. I know he made 37 saves and he most certainly kept us in the game, but.... When Cam is in the zone, he exudes a sense of calm that extends from the goalie crease. I never got that feeling from him last night. I'm certain that has a lot to do with my next point, the defense. I thought that our defense looked miserable most of the night. To say that anyone in our defensive corps played well would be an exaggeration. Some guys played better than others, but no one stood out to me. Of course, I don't want to blame bad defense entirely on the defenseman, because some of our forwards were stretching out to far to assist the d. Many times I saw one of our defenseman get a puck in the corner and then look up for a forward to pass to and they were all up past the red line, hidden behind Habs. This led to a lot of ill-advised passes and frustration dump outs that just led to Montreal taking possession of the puck needlessly. But that wasn't the only problem. There were lots of missed assignments, miscommunications between defensive pairings, and an overall lack of physicality on our back end. Guys were running around all night like chickens with their heads cut off, chasing this and that average Montreal player behind the net, instead of playing good positional defense.

The penalty killing was erratic, looking good and desperate at times (the Bayda double minor), and not good at other times (3 Montreal PP goals). The power play looked better to me than last season, at least when 5 on 4. For some reason, we looked terrible on our 5 on 3s. There was no traffic in front of the net for the vast majority of our 5 on 3 time.

Individuals:

Bayda-a non-factor after a few decent shifts in the first. That double-minor will likely cost him his roster spot for Friday. Hello Trevor Letowski!

Hamilton-looked okay at even-strength, but I like his instincts on the powerplay.

Adams-didn't notice him at all.

Larose-he made quite a few mistakes, but started to get back into stride about half way through the game. Hey, he had to miss all of the exhibition games, so I expected him to show a bit of rust.

Ladd-erratic (the key word for our team last night). On some shifts, he looked dominant, at other times, he got shoved around like he was a little guy.

Commodore-I didn't think that Commodore played well at all last night, except for that one big hit (which he hurt himself on). Bad positioning and didn't seem to have his head in the game (maybe he's dreaming about that N&O article and his possible cash-in next summer).

Kaberle-He looked callow (not complimentary) at times and average at other times.

Whitney-he looked a bit out of it to me.

Wesley-probably the best of our D out there last night, but even old reliable was caught out of position a few times, a rarity for Glen.

Cole-I'd say he was our 2nd best forward out there, but struggled to help out in our end.

Walker-looked rusty.

Gleason-I thought he played poorly. He was consistently outworked in our defensive zone and didn't show a good instinct for when to jump up in the play.

Hedican-I'm happy for him for scoring a big goal (nice shot!), so that takes the sting out of his sub-par defensive work.

Cullen-He was our best player last night. Yeah, he didn't score, but he consistently showed his speed and creativity on the attack and did a good job back-checking. Cullen came to play.

Wallin-if you throw out his penalties, he was our 2nd best defenseman last night, but you can't ignore those ill-timed trips to the box.

Staal-I think Eric looked good, but not great. I found his play to be encouraging, but we need a more consistent effort from him (see Cullen).

Williams-I thought that Justin looked surprisingly uninvolved. He tends to be pretty consistent, but, to me, he didn't show up last night.

Brind'Amour-perhaps the biggest disappointment of the night, our captain just didn't bring his usual effort, either defensively or offensively (strangely similar to Justin's game).

Overall, it was just one game and the team has a lot of work to do. Stillman's last minute absence can't have helped the line chemistry, but you have to expect more out of professionals! I hate to be harsh, but this is wake-up call #1 for the Canes this season. Time to look in the mirror (or better yet, look in Cullen's mirror).

I really think we should do analysis for all of the televised away games as well. I really enjoy reading what people think about how the team did.

I think everone has already said everything about it. I was mostly impressed with Hamilton. I like his play on the power play and he struck the post twice. If he keeps shooting like that they will go in.

I'm in favor. And I'd really like a thread devoted just to people's thoughts on the PP each game.

I'm in favor. And I'd really like a thread devoted just to people's thoughts on the PP each game.

I dont' know if we need a separate thread just for PP's, but that reminded me of something. I did notice that Kaberle was on ice for Staal/Cole or whoever's goal it is today. I was listening to Ice Cap on XM on the way home. The guy from HockeyBuzz.com was talking about our game (generally good comments), but he pointed out the lone PP goal had a defenseman, and all the other opportunities Lavi was using 5 forwards. I wasn't sharp enough to pick that up in person. Did anyone happen to notice anything along those lines? What do you think? Is there a stat sheet somewhere that would break it down into that detail?

They also commented on the crosscheck call on Wallin in OT. IIRC, they said the call was total BS. Imbellishment!

didnt have time to comment on the game until now. long drive. made it back to boone in good time though...anyways....

i thought they looked good as far as puck possession. we had possession the majority of the time it seemed. on the down side though, didnt seem like we did a lot as far as generating quality chances. instead they settled for slap shots from a ways out, often with no one in front of the net for a screen or rebound. power play looked bad at first, but on later ones, even though they didnt score, the passing looked good. i am glad we took staal off the point. (he played it a little). having him down low plays to his strength. he's good around the net. and on the point he's not that great of a passer, and almost always gets beat and gives up a short handed chance. thought came looked good. defense may be a problem. they gave up some real good chances early, and seemed to be mixed up and scrambling around. but, did seem to settle down as the game went on. i liked the effort. they seemed like they had some jump.

thats about all i can think of. all of this may have been covered already. i didnt read the thread yet. just wanted to add my 2.

pitts tommorrow!!!! hopefully the trip goes well.

Well, better late than never. Wasn't going to post this late, but I started reading other's thoughts and well, what the heck.

Overall the game was good and I saw mostly good things. This game could easily have gone our way. Watching the replay on Whitney's open net shot it was a goal. Slam dunk. Then the overhead view shows Huet diving back and by some divine miracle deflecting the puck with his stick right on the goal line. That's a goal 99/100 times. We win 3-2.

It was clear that the coaching mantra was "shoot the puck". Any open shot was bombs away. Not really a bad way to come out for game one though, especially with our playmaker Stillman out. I don't understand people who don't think our powerplay looked better. It was MUCH better. We're not going to lead the league, but for the most part we gained the zone, and moved the puck cleanly. We generated some decent chances and scored a pp goal. Last year was dump the puck, scrum, lose posession, skate back to get the puck from our own end, repeat. Cullen and Hamilton add a lot to the pp. Hamilton is going to have a fair share of PP goals before it's all over.

Now Huet didn't give up many tasty rebounds, hardly any at all, but we still had many prime opportunities that just didn't go in.

One thing I didn't see much of was hitting (other than Commodore). Not very physical from either side. Our defense did seem a little slow at times, but they looked that way in the cup year too. Other teams have talented forwards as well, and they will gain the zone and put on a show from time to time, particularly with our offensive pressing style.

A few names:

Ward: Solid. One spectacular save and several quality stops. Faced around 40 shots and 2 goals in regulation, sv % in regulation about .950. That will win alot of games.

Hamilton: Guy like! This guy is too good for the 4th line. Hopefully he sees alot of ice time with injuries (not wishing injuries, just want Hamilton to get more than 4th line minutes) and power plays. This is a guy with no fear of shooting the puck. Fast, works hard, handles the puck well. Good on PP.

Cullen: See Hamilton. Looked very good offensively and on PP. Glad to have him back.

Ladd: Looked surprisingly good in stretches, more highly skilled moves than I remember in the past. I sense a breakout coming.

Whitney: Good position, good chances, just missed them. Play this one again, he could have had a hat trick.

Kaberle: Non factor. Slow getting back to the puck. Hardly noticed him. Is he still hurt? Never physical, need to see his offensive side. Was solid on PP.

Williams/Brindy: not effective, just couldn't really get it going.

Cole: Good, but not the Hab killer. Love the right wing goal rush lean in thing, but seems like it would be helpful to develope a counter move on that one. Maybe he has and I just haven't noticed.

We missed Stillman.

LaRose: we had one PK that was abysmal. We were stuck in quick sand, and everyone was trying to finese the puck out. Next shift LaRose comes out gets the puck and fires it out. The man is a PK machine.

Wallin: seemed as good or bad as any of our dmen. I didn't see the penalty at the end, but it was away from the puck in a 4-4 sudden-death situation, so if it was even close it was not smart.

Still, overall better than most of last year. Should be wide open vs. Sid and the Penguins tonight!

I was not at the RBC center Wed night. I was watching the French broadcast on Center Ice. Here's my question. Don't you have to contact an opposing with your stick to have a crosscheck? Wallin hit the guy (Kovalev I think) with his shoulder and not very hard to boot.

Bad call, but hey, its only the first game. Time to concentrate on Pittsburgh.