The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
redneckhockey-bs9

Tanabe on the way....

I'll reserve my comment until he plays for a while and see what they do with "Iceberg" cause I was jumping all around my living room yelling at the TV last night. I think I kept my neighbors up. My roomate is a huge fan of his and I was telling her about the game, but nothing compared to seeing it. I was just so happy to see him playing a lot more than he did in the past and stepping up like I knew he could. If he gets his play time cut to next to nothing over this signing, I will be disappointed. Gotta give Berg a chance to prove he is the D-man they need in the future after that AWESOME performance last night.

Since its a 2 way, I'd assume he's behind Seidenberg on the depth chart. However, Lavi will play whoever he feels is playing better at the time. So if Seidenberg starts lacking and Tanabe plays like the last half of the year, he could jump over him. But for now, I'd say he's behind the Berg. And I'm like you, as long as Berg plays good, he better be in over Tanabe.

Ok, Tanabe will never be the next Bobby Orr. Did he live up to the high draft pick he was, no. BUT THAT IS PAST HISTORY. Can people just wipe the slate clean and give him a chance. He arguably was our best defenseman at the end of last year. I for one am happy David is back. If he does not play decent, then what have we lost, and I am sure Lavi and JR (who know a lot more about hockey that all of us) will do what needs to be done..... We are "Only" paying him 600K a year, we pay Hedican 2.2 M a year. Is Hedican that much better than David.... the answer is no. Commadore next year will be asking for 2-3M a year, is he that much better than David? I think for what we are paying him, this is a very good deal.

Should we have called up one of our Dmen from Albany instead??? I think we all should have faith in JR and Lavi in this decision and they feel that David was the better option.

I say, forget about the past, and GIVE HIM A CHANCE.

We didnt just let him go... He had a $1M contract that expired on June 30 and he or his agent one thought that JRs two way offer was less than they could get as an UFA. He rolled the dice and lost.

JR got what he wanted in the end for less than the reported 850K he had offered during the summer.

I know it really is poor form to quote yourself but you really could see the writing on this when the only NHL team to show interest in him let him walk. Caniac97 had a post about the Blues letting him go and I said:

"I agree although with his experience and level of play he would probably be looking at something around 700K and 100K or so on a two way contract. I would think that would MORE than reasonable and hopefully he comes to the realization that the only way he isn't watching hockey this year on TV is to sign a two way deal back here. Comparing apples and apples our "prospects" of needing a Dman on the NHL club are pretty good and our AHL should be a real contender this year with the amount of talent they are looking at."

JR basically saved 100-250 K by letting him try the open market and then come back asking for what JR wanted to give anyway.

I also said I would not be suprised to see DT back within 12 months in Raleigh or Albany. I meant 12 days :lol:

Edited for my bad grammar

This post above says it all, hands down, this is why JR is the GM of this team. I don't know if you are like me, but I for one am glad that JR is the GM of this team and not some of the posters I have read. It seems JR knew what he was doing from the start and that Tannabe would be back if he needed him and for less money. He knew Tannabe was not going to get the money he wanted, but had to let him find that out for himself and if he needed him back he would be available, if he didn't no harm done to the team. It seems we (Canes) won on this deal. That is why JR has the title of GM of the caniac nation and not anyone else, thank the hockey gods.

It seems we (Canes) won on this deal.

Way too early to judge this signing. So far he doesn't look that great but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt with it being his first game of the year.

I see Tanabe's signing as a sort of an insurance policy. Hedican was out tonight, Commodore out tonight, Kaberle is fragile, Wallin has had injuries and Wesley is 38 years old. A lot can go wrong here. Tanabe also played some good hockey for us last year. Plus, everybody makes mistakes. Kaberle got out of position tonight which enabled the Ovechkin goal. Time will tell, let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt for thime being.

ONCE again, I NEVER said you had to like every player on the team. I do think HOWEVER, that you shouldn't VOICE or WORD the opinions in the way these people are VOICING and WORDING them. Grow up people, PLEASE.

And talk about person insults?? Shane472? I don't need glasses, thanks. I got contacts :D So yeah, I am not OVERrating him, you, sir, are UNDERrating him. He is definatley NOT a bust, and if you think so YOU are sadly MISTAKEN.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to jump in to Shane's defense here... Tanabe is a mediocre defenseman at best, at worst he's a terrible detriment to this team, for every good thing he does on the ice there are 2 or 3 BAD things he does on a game - to - game basis...

and to say that "you shouldn't voice or word your opinion" in what ever way you see fit, within reason, in an open forum is quite frankly... well... UNAMERICAN!! Just because you don't like those opinions doesn't mean they can't be expressed!

I see Tanabe's signing as a sort of an insurance policy. Hedican was out tonight, Commodore out tonight, Kaberle is fragile, Wallin has had injuries and Wesley is 38 years old. A lot can go wrong here. Tanabe also played some good hockey for us last year. Plus, everybody makes mistakes. Kaberle got out of position tonight which enabled the Ovechkin goal. Time will tell, let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt for thime being.

Seen last night - Tanabe passes puck to opponent in the neutral zone, skates over to bench, Kaberle (his replacement) caught out of position comming off the bench... Grahame made a sweet save to keep it from being a goal... I didn't get to watch any more than snippets of the game, so I'd like to see who was on the ice before the gaol was scored, and how Kaberle got caught out of position! I thought that they were going with Wesley / Wallin against Ovenchicken... how did Kaberle end up on the ice.

Get off Tanabe's back. The GM, and coach, made the decision and I hope to think they are way more in-tune with why they did this move than the fans are. He was a plus player last season and as far as the Caps' game, bash the exalted forwards who refused to work for the pucks. They were outworked, outhit and outhustled. By the way, other players turn the puck over way more than they should. #17 in particular. #12, also.

Get off Tanabe's back. The GM, and coach, made the decision and I hope to think they are way more in-tune with why they did this move than the fans are. He was a plus player last season and as far as the Caps' game, bash the exalted forwards who refused to work for the pucks. They were outworked, outhit and outhustled. By the way, other players turn the puck over way more than they should. #17 in particular. #12, also.

gee... I wonder WHY the other players were down??? maybe something to do with a certain signing earlier in the day?

Folks need to cool off here. Thread will be locked if not.

cool as a cucumber... only thing that got me even lukewarm was the suggestion that opposing opinions shouldn't be voiced - you should see me rant when I really get upset about constitutional issues! :lol:

cool as a cucumber... only thing that got me even lukewarm was the suggestion that opposing opinions shouldn't be voiced - you should see me rant when I really get upset about constitutional issues! :lol:

All opinions are welcome (good or bad), we just don't want to see folks trashing other people's opinions to validate theirs. Its really not that difficult to give your opinion, back it up with a reason and not bring anyone else's opinion into it. If you respond to another person's opinion, just respectfully disagree siting reasons why.

*will remember to never get into a constituional issue argument with Sixntepkg*

All opinions are welcome (good or bad), we just don't want to see folks trashing other people's opinions to validate theirs. Its really not that difficult to give your opinion, back it up with a reason and not bring anyone else's opinion into it. If you respond to another person's opinion, just respectfully disagree siting reasons why.

*will remember to never get into a constituional issue argument with Sixntepkg*

You might as well just lock it. Apparently this thread is turning into writing down Tanabe's every wrong move and just being completely negative about him. I can guarentee that they are not going to stop either...they never do when it comes to Tanabe. :rolleyes:

VERY TRUE TSA!... if you have a valid argument you really don't need to stoop to persoanl insults (been on the recieving end of that and don't like it much)

VERY TRUE TSA!... if you have a valid argument you really don't need to stoop to persoanl insults (been on the recieving end of that and don't like it much)

Thanks, and now that we all agree...lets see if we can keep this thread open and respectful.

Carry on....

Thanks, and now that we all agree...lets see if we can keep this thread open and respectful.

Carry on....

Seen last night - Tanabe passes puck to opponent in the neutral zone, skates over to bench, Kaberle (his replacement) caught out of position comming off the bench... Grahame made a sweet save to keep it from being a goal... I didn't get to watch any more than snippets of the game, so I'd like to see who was on the ice before the gaol was scored, and how Kaberle got caught out of position! I thought that they were going with Wesley / Wallin against Ovenchicken... how did Kaberle end up on the ice.

Before the Ovie goal, the Canes had a chance to lay the body, and opted not to. That led to a rush up the ice, Kaberle out of position, leaving Ovie a wide open shot.

Yes, Tanabe passed the puck to the opponent, but I think Brind'Amour thought his teammates were in red tonight b/c just about everyone of his passes went to the Caps. Tanabe didn't have that bad of a game. Gotta keep in mind that this was is first game, the other guys have had 2 games under their belt and pretty much all played like crap. Not to mention Lavi and Wesley apparently thought Tanabe had a decent game as was mentioned in the paper this morning.

Yep, it says that Wesley and Lavi both complimented his play from last night :)

It says in the N&O article:

Entering last season still working to rebuild the strength in his surgically repaired right knee, Tanabe impressed with five goals and 12 assists in 60 games. Yet the Canes chose not to offer him a new deal. Tanabe said he attended Blues camp knowing he would be a long shot to stick there because St. Louis would have had to make a trade to make room for him.

"I'm just excited now. I'm happy that it's finally done," Tanabe said. "Going into a training camp without a contract is a tough situation, but now I'm glad that, a week out of camp, I'm able to come back to Carolina."

Ok, Tanabe will never be the next Bobby Orr. Did he live up to the high draft pick he was, no. BUT THAT IS PAST HISTORY. Can people just wipe the slate clean and give him a chance. He arguably was our best defenseman at the end of last year. I for one am happy David is back. If he does not play decent, then what have we lost, and I am sure Lavi and JR (who know a lot more about hockey that all of us) will do what needs to be done..... We are "Only" paying him 600K a year, we pay Hedican 2.2 M a year. Is Hedican that much better than David.... the answer is no. Commadore next year will be asking for 2-3M a year, is he that much better than David? I think for what we are paying him, this is a very good deal.

Should we have called up one of our Dmen from Albany instead??? I think we all should have faith in JR and Lavi in this decision and they feel that David was the better option.

I say, forget about the past, and GIVE HIM A CHANCE.

To know where you are going in life you have to look at where you have been so past history is very important!! Look at Bayda, I like the kid but he just can't seem to stick at the NHL level but at the AHL level he is an all star. Having Tanabe back is only good because of the deal, he originally wanted $1.4mil for what was his "stellar" performance last year. Having him back on "our" terms is ok because of the two way deal, he has stunk up the NHL to the point that if we need to send him down there won't be a problem clearing waivers. btw, have you ever thought that there just might be a reason he hasn't stuck anywhere??

gee... I wonder WHY the other players were down??? maybe something to do with a certain signing earlier in the day?

I think it had more to do with who was in net than who was on the blueline. Besides, Tanabe looked fine last night. Hell, Brindy turned the puck over more than Tanabe.

I think it had more to do with who was in net than who was on the blueline. Besides, Tanabe looked fine last night. Hell, Brindy turned the puck over more than Tanabe.

I have yet to figure out their attitude towards Grahame, it has been like this since day one of last season. What could he have done to piss off an entire team?