The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nashcountycane1

Mark Roberts from Wral to canes radio

Haven't heard anything but you're correct when saying he has tons of personality. I've always liked Mark Roberts and think he would be great. I'm sure there will never be a dull moment but then again when I'm hearing about the Canes there is nothing dull about it.

Haven't heard anything but you're correct when saying he has tons of personality. I've always liked Mark Roberts and think he would be great. I'm sure there will never be a dull moment but then again when I'm hearing about the Canes there is nothing dull about it.

I don't know, I keep thinking Redneck Tripp Tracy!! LOL

Anybody else hear this morning that Mark Roberts the traffic guy from WRAL mornings is leaving to do other things. One of which is pre and post game show on radio for the canes? They didnt say if hes gonna work with Chuck K. or go solo. I know hes not gonna take Chucks place. What do you guys think? All i can say is, the guys got tons of personality, so it will not be boring. :lol: Thoughts? Anybody know any more or heard any more details?

Well, it would be helpful if he actually knows something about hockey and keeps my attention rather than forcing me to turn to XM to hear their pre-game stuff. On the bright side, it won't take a lot to be better than the guys on 850 were... :blink:

That would be pretty awesome. I like Mark Roberts. Maybe I would be able to understand and keep up with him more :P . Don't get me wrong, I like Chuck too, I don't want him to go away!

I just can't listen to hockey or any sport for that matter on the radio. My brain can't keep up! :D

I like him. Although with him leaving WRAL, who is going to take his place and give the Canes a shout out. I usually have the news on while i'm getting ready for work and he'll always mention the canes some way or another before or after his traffic report.

I wish I liked the guy but he gets on my last nerve! not sure why :P

maybe he will be good on the radio, lets all keep our fingers crossed

I'm with you on that one. That guy is like nails on chalkboard to me. I hope this is bad information, but at least he'd only be doing the pre/post game stuff. Chuck isn't going to hang up the mike just yet and when he does it surely won't be to someone as annoying as Mark Roberts.

I think he's a bit goofy(well, maybe a lot) but decent personality. Our neighbor is with the Highway Patrol and I bet he will be happy not to get calls from Mark Roberts who is good at making up words(like 'trafficology').

I have some friends who were faithful IceCaps fans and said he called the games for the IceCaps and did a great job and was knowledgable about hockey. I remember when he was covering the parade for WRAL after we won the SC and he was trying to get an interview with one of the players on a truck in the parade and the truck started moving so he just ran and jumped in the back and kept talking, he's a hoot.

Mark Roberts is a pox on the world of broadcasting and I hope this is a rumor. Or at least a test effort that will end as quickly as it will suck - meaning, immediately.

Well, its not a rumor, he announced it himself this morning. I think there is a video link on the wral homepage.

I think it is good. You will have the 850 crowd to discuss the game and another show to listen to for personality. The more the better. I like him.

You know his brother is a NASCAR host on the SPEED channel?

I have to admit, I love the guy. I watched the coverage of the parade and laughed my butt off though the whole thing. He's got a huge personality and isn't afraid to laugh at himself. Should be fun!

I could see him doing pre and post game and I think he would be a good fit for that.

Chuck is a legend and at this point in his career, I really don't see them adding a second person on the air with him. He has been doing the games by himself forever and I don't think he would go along with that.

I certainly understand that some people do not care for Mark Roberts. I didn't either at first, but you have to admire a guy who can get that excited about traffic! After a while I began to tune in just to see what he was going to do next. I do like him now and you have to give him credit for his enthusiasm.

As was previously mentioned, he did a great job covering the Canes SC Parade and he knew quite a bit about hockey.

I'll leave everyone with this thought - he certainly won't be boring!

Which is more that I can say about anything we have now.

While he seems like a nice guy, he grates on my and my wifes nerves. In fact if I had another local morning news I could get as early as I leave- I would have gladly watched it just to avoid him.

I can understand many people like him, but to me his antics were just a bit too slapstick for me. If he is on post game, it will just mean my radio gets turned to XM Home Ice even quicker after the games.

:blink:

I can see where Mark Roberts would be an either "love him" or "hate him" type of guy with that excited, energetic delivery he has. I think he's a goof-ball, but a likable one. One thing is for certain, he is a passionate follower of the Canes. I didn't realize he played adult league hockey as Paladin posted earlier, but did think he's knowledgeable of the game and do believe he can provide a good mix of entertainment and information on a pre and post game show -- which is just what is needed. Most of the 850 Buzz guys are a joke with their attempts to do pre/post game shows.

As an aside, does anybody know, was Mark Roberts at one point the arena announcer for Cane's games (perhaps in Greensboro)?

I am almost Cdertain Mark Roberts Was the Canes Arena Announcer. ( at least I remember him telling me something to that sort) - I will ask him.

He is very Knowledgeable about Hockey , I ve gone to games with tickets from him (WRAL seats)

He is definitley qualified and He may come off better on Radio than TV

Although I can't stand the way he does traffic reports I will give him a chance as he did a great job as the PA announcer for the Raleigh Cougars Professional basketball team in the late 90's that played in Dorton Arena. (not to be confused with the Carolina Cougars of the ABA in the early 70's)

I am almost Cdertain Mark Roberts Was the Canes Arena Announcer. ( at least I remember him telling me something to that sort) - I will ask him.

He is very Knowledgeable about Hockey , I ve gone to games with tickets from him (WRAL seats)

He is definitley qualified and He may come off better on Radio than TV

He was. He was the Canes' in house announcer in Greensboro. If everyone recalls, the games in G-Boro used to start at 7:30pm, I assume to allow Raleigh crowds to get there in time. However, once the games were moved up to 7pm, he did not have time to do his news job and get to G-Boro in time to announce in-house, so the team was forced to replace him.

I will never forget the time I was in the bagel place over by NCSU and he came in there, he had more make-up on than even I care to wear :lol:

I am sure he came in there after doing the morning news and that he has to have make-up on for TV but it made me laugh outloud.