The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
nashcountycane1

Mark Roberts from Wral to canes radio

I don't know how I will feel about Mark Roberts doing Canes broadcast until I hear him a couple times.

His brother John, does a lot of broadcasts for NASCAR.... hosts a couple shows on the Speed channel

How exactly is he qualified to host a hockey pre-game show?

I guess it takes as much qualification as it does to tell you where cars are on the roads. I can't stand this guy. He may be a great guy in person but is the most annoying person I have ever seen on TV. I actually like WRAL's news but don't watch it because of him.

I don't think he will be as camping as he is with traffic. The campyness got him on a morning show, turned him into a local celebrity and made his mark. Now he is taking it to the next step.

Since he does know hockey, I am sure the campyness will die down. I think it will be good to have 2 locations talking pre-game. This is a big step from not being cover because Duke was playing Wofford.

I think the Mark Robert's critics are going to be pleasantly surprised at how well he will do for our canes on the radio. I think it will be game first and humor last with him, lets face it folks a little bit of laughter is a good thing. Just keep an open mind and give him a chance. I just hope I won't be a disappointed fan.

I listened to his post game show on the way home and although I get annoyed his voice, his content was great. Having Forslund there to do a post game analysis, the locker room interviews and just his knowledge of hockey in general was an amazing improvement from Morgan Patrick.

For his first gig, it went great and it will only get better. Finally, someone who actually knows hockey.

I listened to his post game show on the way home and although I get annoyed his voice, his content was great. Having Forslund there to do a post game analysis, the locker room interviews and just his knowledge of hockey in general was an amazing improvement from Morgan Patrick.

For his first gig, it went great and it will only get better. Finally, someone who actually knows hockey.

Yes his voice seem even more annoying over the radio than on TV (if that's possible!) and he sounded a bit nervous too. He was over-the-top with some emotionalism like on how depressed the fans were leaving the arena, etc., but that's who he is. Having said that, he did make several insightful comments that showed he actually WATCHED the game and understood what was going on. This was a refreshing change from the Buzz Boy Bozos...with Morgan Patrick, when callers would ask about a player or a certain play, Morgan would always answer with such generalities that I started to think he never actually watches the game (or understands what he sees), almost like he just checks out the final score, the NHL stat sheet, and wings-it from there.

Having Forslund in the booth helped balance things too. There was even a Forslund-Tripp Tracy like moment when Mark Roberts made some quick quip about the tape of the first ever caller to the show going into the Broadcast Hall of Fame. John laughed in a spontaneous way just like when Tripp would say something unexpectedly funny. :lol:

I saw Mark Roberts last night at a table out in the walk-way near the Eye with headphones on doing the post-game show. It was wierd that he would do this show right out in the open and the crowd (fans) trying to exit the RBC and not expect people to talk or yell out to you. They were shooing people away from him while he was doing the show. I would think it would be a distraction to have people walking by your table talking to you while you are doing a show, I was very surprised they had him sitting in the crowd like that.

If he knows a lot about hockey, it sure didn't show last night. I did like the extra time forslund visited, and the locker room inteview with Glen Wesley. But, Roberts is going to take some getting used to

Yes his voice seem even more annoying over the radio than on TV (if that's possible!) and he sounded a bit nervous too. He was over-the-top with some emotionalism like on how depressed the fans were leaving the arena, etc., but that's who he is. Having said that, he did make several insightful comments that showed he actually WATCHED the game and understood what was going on. This was a refreshing change from the Buzz Boy Bozos...with Morgan Patrick, when callers would ask about a player or a certain play, Morgan would always answer with such generalities that I started to think he never actually watches the game (or understands what he sees), almost like he just checks out the final score, the NHL stat sheet, and wings-it from there.

Having Forslund in the booth helped balance things too. There was even a Forslund-Tripp Tracy like moment when Mark Roberts made some quick quip about the tape of the first ever caller to the show going into the Broadcast Hall of Fame. John laughed in a spontaneous way just like when Tripp would say something unexpectedly funny. :lol:

Yeah, the whole fans leaving depressed was a bit overdone to me too. I love hearing all the chatter on the way out to the parking lot to kind of assess what the overall opinion of the game was, and I didn't sense any depression. Maybe disappointment with the loss but overall, I thought people were sounding generally pleased to be back in the RBC.

Felt like a homecoming in our section, LOL. Lots of high-fives and hugs from STH's that haven't seen each other all summer and have sat together for years.

Yeah, the whole fans leaving depressed was a bit overdone to me too. I love hearing all the chatter on the way out to the parking lot to kind of assess what the overall opinion of the game was, and I didn't sense any depression. Maybe disappointment with the loss but overall, I thought people were sounding generally pleased to be back in the RBC.

Felt like a homecoming in our section, LOL. Lots of high-fives and hugs from STH's that haven't seen each other all summer and have sat together for years.

I'm certainly going to give the guy another chance, but after listening to the pre-game show (missed the postgame) I thought I was listening to a used-car salesman or some guy on an info-mercial, not a sportscaster. Just too much of that sappy enthusiasm. If he would have mentioned how many people were walking by him with jerseys on one more time I was going to run into the concourse and give him a good shaking. :lol:

HAHA. Very funny Buckeye. I agree. I also heard him say that he was the announcer when the Canes first came to Greensboro like 20 times. He is going to struggle once John is not there to help. Morgan on 850 is horrible, but I really like listening to all the fans call in for their opinions.

Mark just sounds like he is going to bust out into a show theme from a muscial at any time. His voice kills me.

We need an objective person to talk not a homer. That is what is great about JOhn. He tells it like it is. Both good and bad. Mark was kissing so much butt that it sounded like he wanted a job cutting one of the Canes grass on the off days.

I guess we should give him a break, it was his first day. Maybe they should do it on the outside so that fans can hang around after and they can take some questions live. Or do like the College football guys do the live show from outside with all the fans yeling in the back.

I thought he was Ok. The best thing about it and I have been a fan for a long time.........After the game, there were 2 shows doing post game shows and I don't think that has ever happened after a regular season game.

Got to love it !!!

I am suprised that he is not walking down Edwards Mill with a microphone talking to people in traffic. They always talk about him and being in the street for the Xmas parade. I suprised he is not out getting the "word from the street".

Terrible voice.

Simce he referred to himself as a trafficologist, I wonder when he will start calling himself a Caniholic of Caniacologist. He has to come up with something dumb. He always does.

:rolleyes: I was on the post game show tonight on 99.5 with Mark Roberts, my family dared me to call, so of course I had to. I was shocked they put me on the air. I talked about going back to Erwin in Harnett Co with my 6-pack family and wanted to talk about Eric Staal.

I told Mark that I had bad mouthed Staal all last year and I have eaten crow the last 2 games and ate it gladly and would continue to eat it gladly the rest of the year. I don't know who the guy was that talks with him but he pointed out that for the NHL Staal really did not have a bad year last year, it was just not as good as the SC year. He said he saw Staal in the dressing room today and he had a sparkle in his eye he had not seen in a while. I also talked about how in the 3rd period the Staal brothers coming down the ice together and it looked like brotherly competion from the old pond days in their yard. I enjoyed our conversation.

I listened to him after today's game, and it wasn't that bad. He talked about the standout players, the brotherly rivalry, the Penguins young stars and their lack of action. He applauded the Caniac Nation for thier booing of Orphik. My only problem was he'd repeat the same thing over and over again. It'd be "Cam stood on his head! The media pumped up the young stars of the Penguins, but nothing happening tonight! Cam stood on his head!"

He seemed a little too desperate for phone calls as well, putting out the number for the station every 5 seconds, but I suppose he realized he was just repeating the same thing over and over again.

Overall, I like the interviews with John and Lavi. Like the interviews with the players. I'm sure if anyone had called, I would have liked that as well.

Give this guy a chance, he's new.

We caught the first part of the postgame last night ( got home before any callers made it on though) and I will say it was an improvement over the pre-game show at the Habs game. Still have to get used to the voice ( I never listened to his traffic reports) but he at least made some good observations about the game and showed some knowledge. The desperation on the phone number was apparent, we were going to call but I wasted my battery on my phone checking the Indians / Yankees score during the game. GO TRIBE. He gets another listen for us. 850 is pretty much banned unless we hear them interviewing Chuck, Lavi or a player. I wish we could have one sports guy in the area that is as good as any of the guys on XM 204.

He seemed a little too desperate for phone calls as well, putting out the number for the station every 5 seconds, but I suppose he realized he was just repeating the same thing over and over again.

I think that means no one is calling in. A few Canes fan call in but I believe canes fans are famous for listening and not calling. I have been going to games since 2000 and never called in. Iisten to XM and Chuck K or JR can be on and I wil not call.

I do think that is a thing smart radio guys say the number or name over and over.

Roberts is a clown! Give me a break. I don't even think he does the traffic that great. Who gets excited about traffic, really? Traffic sucks! So they would be better served to get someone with a bad attitude who hates traffic, like most of us, to tell you straight up what's going on.

"Well you can forget about getting in on time this morning. The rubber neckers are holding up west bound 40 watching someone change a tire in the east bound lane."

Maybe I should apply for his job!? Who cares if plays adult league? Flying an R/C plane doesn't qualify me to be a commercial pilot. There is nothing about Roberts that says hockey.

And you 850 haters, they've been working the games since the Canes moved here! I think they do a fine job. Plus Chris Clark handles most of the pre/post game stuff now, not Patrick. So, go ahead jump on the next new thing, and when it doesn't work out you can start a new thread to complain about it.

Have a nice day. :D

Roberts is a clown! Give me a break. I don't even think he does the traffic that great. Who gets excited about traffic, really? Traffic sucks! So they would be better served to get someone with a bad attitude who hates traffic, like most of us, to tell you straight up what's going on.

"Well you can forget about getting in on time this morning. The rubber neckers are holding up west bound 40 watching someone change a tire in the east bound lane."

Maybe I should apply for his job!? Who cares if plays adult league? Flying an R/C plane doesn't qualify me to be a commercial pilot. There is nothing about Roberts that says hockey.

And you 850 haters, they've been working the games since the Canes moved here! I think they do a fine job. Plus Chris Clark handles most of the pre/post game stuff now, not Patrick. So, go ahead jump on the next new thing, and when it doesn't work out you can start a new thread to complain about it.

Nice to give the guy a chance. We are all entitled to an opinion. I fail to see why calling the guy names helps. It appears that you did not like the guy before the show started and for that reason he had no chance.

Just my opinion as well.

You lost all credibility when you said that 850 does a fine job. In the works of John McEnroe....."You can't be serious"