The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Nashville Predators SOLD

No one saw this one comin'? Wasn't there talk on these boards before about the low attendences that the team has been getting for being such a decent team, or was that another team I'm thinkin' of, 'cause Nashville is the main name that rings the bell for me.

No one saw this one comin'? Wasn't there talk on these boards before about the low attendences that the team has been getting for being such a decent team, or was that another team I'm thinkin' of, 'cause Nashville is the main name that rings the bell for me.

You got the right team. There was talks that if they don't get atleast 14,000 fans to attend the games next season, then if the owner paid a fee, he could move out of Nashville.

So...does this mean they'll soon be the Hamilton, Ontario Preditors?

p.s. why does Ontario need another team, I say send them to Manitoba or Saskatchewan, I don't know why I just like how Saskatchewan sounds when you say it

OH HO! It looks like I'm getting my new hockey team in KC after all! Hope Carolina will be on the schedule!

Don't you know that after Sprint (who named the arena) or whichever investment group built a brand new NHL hockey arena and were this close to getting the Penguins that Buttman et al had to scramble to fill this empty spot. No way do they risk folks 'building it' without the 'and they will come' part of the equation. I have been waiting for the Predator's other shoe to drop for months now ever since Mess and his group saved the Penguins for Pittsburgh at the zero hour.

Don't know what the hockey market will be in KC but they ARE sports crazy there. They quite happily support the Chiefs and the Royals, and they certainly have winter there, so cold weather sports are not a foreign import. I think the key is that the whole area on both sides of the Missouri river they are VERY sports-minded. I will have to help them get in a hockey frame of mind by sporting my Hurricanes regalia everywhere I go. Came back Wed. from job interviews in KC the day before and headed straight to the Eye to stock up on stuff that will not get confiscated by the TSA nazis' at airport security that I can take to away games. Would hate to be hauled away just because I jumped someone for trying to separate me from my Canes stuff !!!!

Hmmm, wonder if they 'll still be called The Predators or if they'll be renamed The Twisters or Tornadoes? God knows that the damned storms rule the Alley. I got out of there just in time _ monster weather is moving across there right now. (must dig 'hole' for new residence! must have below-ground storm shelter!!!!!!)

May not have NHL hockey for 2007-08, but after Carolina wins the Cup in '08, then I can start planning on the boys coming to my backyard for at least one hockey game the next year! Yoo-hoo, little boys! Want some candy? I mean BAR-B-CUE ????

OH HO! It looks like I'm getting my new hockey team in KC after all! Hope Carolina will be on the schedule!

Don't you know that after Sprint (who named the arena) or whichever investment group built a brand new NHL hockey arena and were this close to getting the Penguins that Buttman et al had to scramble to fill this empty spot. No way do they risk folks 'building it' without the 'and they will come' part of the equation. I have been waiting for the Predator's other shoe to drop for months now ever since Mess and his group saved the Penguins for Pittsburgh at the zero hour.

Don't know what the hockey market will be in KC but they ARE sports crazy there. They quite happily support the Chiefs and the Royals, and they certainly have winter there, so cold weather sports are not a foreign import. I think the key is that the whole area on both sides of the Missouri river they are VERY sports-minded. I will have to help them get in a hockey frame of mind by sporting my Hurricanes regalia everywhere I go. Came back Wed. from job interviews in KC the day before and headed straight to the Eye to stock up on stuff that will not get confiscated by the TSA nazis' at airport security that I can take to away games. Would hate to be hauled away just because I jumped someone for trying to separate me from my Canes stuff !!!!

Hmmm, wonder if they 'll still be called The Predators or if they'll be renamed The Twisters or Tornadoes? God knows that the damned storms rule the Alley. I got out of there just in time _ monster weather is moving across there right now. (must dig 'hole' for new residence! must have below-ground storm shelter!!!!!!)

May not have NHL hockey for 2007-08, but after Carolina wins the Cup in '08, then I can start planning on the boys coming to my backyard for at least one hockey game the next year! Yoo-hoo, little boys! Want some candy? I mean BAR-B-CUE ????

Not me...right? I don't work at the airport.

Not me...right? I don't work at the airport.

this is the hockeybuzz take on it:

According to a source the Preds staff was told by Craig Leipold at 5:30pm that he had entered into an agreement to sell the Nashville Predators to Jim Balsillie.

The source went on to say that Craig was very upset with having to sell the team and that the team would remain in Nashville for at least another year, but after that he couldn't guarantee anything.

According to a source, there is an "out" clause in the Preds contract with the city that if the team averages less than 14,000 in a season and then doesn't hit the attendance in the following season the team can pay the city 9 million dollars to leave.

There will be much speculation regarding whether or not the Preds will remain in Nashville. It is interesting that Balsillie is rumoured to have walked away from the Pens deal when he was not allowed to have an out clause stating if a new building wasn't built in Pittsburgh he could move the franchise. As the rumor I heard goes, the NHL wouldn't give him that out then.

Two ways to look at this... both just speculation on my part right now, but you would have to think that Basillie would not get involved with anohter NHL franchise if he wasn't allowed to move it. OR...perhaps he has realized that he can't move a franchise, and that since Nashville has the building and a fresh new naming rights corporate deal.

Either way, not a fun night for Preds fans who really deserve a franchise. Many of you know that I fell in love with this city and the entire organization last year when I visited. The only thing holding back the Preds in Nashville is the lack of the Music Industry stepping up. They could sell more than 14,000 seats easily if they were all priced like upper level seats...it is the expensive corporate seats that has been the thorn...

I am sure many of you will jump on the "Move the Preds to Canada" bandwagon tonight, but have some empathy for the hockey fans of Tennessee tonight...This is a very uneasy feeling.

I feel for them, because I was among them and I know. They are every bit as passionate as any of you out there. Yes there are less of them, but the growth rate of casual hockey fans in Nashville has been astounding....

woah!

shocker!

but werent they having problems to begin with??

They have had problems with attendence and corporate sponsorship, but I still expected to hear rumors of some sort prior to the actual purchase. I just didn't see it coming so quickly and unannounced.

I know Va. will jump at the chance to get a pro team also. They have been trying for years to get a pro team in the Va. Beach / Norfolk area....maybe even Richmond.

Most people seem to think that the Preds will be moving to southwest Ontario. They have a nice article on thehockeynews.com that says that.

Heard the report today on XM and I quote: "Businessman Jim Bassile, come hell or high water, wants to have an NHL franchise in Ontario, Canada. It may take a couple years to move them and get the building built, but he will."

I think Toronto could certainly handle the competition but wouldn't this hurt the Sabres?

Most people seem to think that the Preds will be moving to southwest Ontario. They have a nice article on thehockeynews.com that says that.

Heard the report today on XM and I quote: "Businessman Jim Bassile, come hell or high water, wants to have an NHL franchise in Ontario, Canada. It may take a couple years to move them and get the building built, but he will."

I think Toronto could certainly handle the competition but wouldn't this hurt the Sabres?

Okay. Thanks for backing me up on that one, colesy. I wasn't 100%, but I was fairly certain that this was the team being discussed back then.

WaterLoo so they dont have to pay Buffalo or Toronto

He wants the team in Kitchner-Waterloo. The thing that scares me is the proposed price tag. $220M buys a lot of bacon and these owners have to be looking at this and saying "I am tired of loosing money and can cash out." The CND $$ is at its highest point and the Canadian Rich have been lurking at the sunbelt franchises waiting on this. David Asper in Winnipeg has a secret group looking for a team but at a much lower cost.

I am just thankful the Canes won the cup, the area is growing, and Karmonos is a head strong and a hockey lover.

I hate to see a southern franchise go but not sure this is the last one. This is why the Canes need more corporate support and we need to fill up the Tuesday night games.

I also give big kudos to Mayor Meeker and the work they have done with the arena to keep it updated.

I follow the business of hockey very close and I kind of saw this coming but it is too close to come.

I don't know I could be way off but I always thought the Florida Panthers would eventually uproot and head elsewhere, I mean they have the Tampa Bay Lightning and all and they are pretty successful, does Florida really need 2 teams? I don't know I always feel weird questioning the worthiness of an area to have a team, after all the crap we've had to go through from idiots posing the same question to us.

I don't know I could be way off but I always thought the Florida Panthers would eventually uproot and head elsewhere, I mean they have the Tampa Bay Lightning and all and they are pretty successful, does Florida really need 2 teams? I don't know I always feel weird questioning the worthiness of an area to have a team, after all the crap we've had to go through from idiots posing the same question to us.

and you would not believe what is said everyday in the Canadian media about us and other teams.

Tampa Bay may seem successful, but the reason they get a lot of sellouts is because they give away a lot of free tickets in various competitions, and they count it as being sold, whether or not the person actually shows up.