The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Nashville Predators SOLD

First of....Who the hell is "Steve" Forsberg?

------------------

But on a serious note.

Balsillie has never claimed he wants to move a team to Ontario, but he's never denied it. I live in Hamilton so we get fed these NHL franchise bones like once a year. Most people in this city have given up on the NHL ever coming back here.

Kitchener/Waterloo: The reason why people keep mentioning Kitchener/Waterloo is because that is Balsillie's home city. It's not a huge city, but it possibly could support a team if everyone went to the games (which is possible). The problem is there isn't any major highway going through it, at least not the equivalent of Toronto's QEW or Buffalo's 190. In order to run a successful franchise there, Waterloo would have to attract many fans from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and Hamilton. Balsillie has VERY deep pockets and could make all this happen. The problem is it may be less costly to move the team somewhere else.

Kansas City: KC doesn't have a new arena, but if Balsillie was seriously interested in moving a team there, I don't think negotiations between him and the BoG would have gotten so ugly in Pittsburgh. What KC does have going for them is location. If places like LA, Nashville, Anaheim, etc are having a hard enough time attracting fans and corporate revenue to home games against well established cities like Colorado, Dallas, San Jose, could you imagine the difficult they'd have trying to convince people to buy tickets against cities they've never heard of like Hamilton, Winnipeg, Waterloo. If Nashville had to move, I can guarantee you the BoG would prefer its relocation to be somewhere with national appeal.

Winnipeg: It's the home of Winnie the Pooh....but besides that the city wants a team back desperately. Even Bettman has finally admitted that under the new CBA Winnipeg could hold a team once again. The Jets have an already establish history and foundation that the name of Winnipeg might be easier to sell across part of the league then other new places. But that's debateable.

Hamilton: This has continued to be the hottest location under Balsillie's quest for an NHL team. Hamilton's only major hockey facility (Copps Colliseum) is currently home of Montreal's AHL team, but doesn't quite meet NHL standards. However Copps was manufactured precisely for attracting an NHL team with the possibility of renovations in mind. If Balsillie is truly willing to build a brand new arena, then he could just as easily add luxury boxes and a larger top bowl to Copps. The issue with BUF/TOR has less to do with the number of hockey fans in the region as it has to do with team allegiance. The Toronto region is the only Major metropolitan area in an sport that has not been double tapped by its most popular sport. So why hasn't it been double tapped?

If Buffalo can maintain it's high ticket demand within Buffalo itself, they should be too concerned with another team in Ontario. Sabre fans are always complain about dirty leaf fans, Ontarians buying up season tickets that they desperately wants, so another team in southern Ontario should sound like a blessing to these people.

The problem of team allegiance has more to do with Toronto. The Maple Leafs have soaked up the hockey market in Ontario worse then the Worlds consumption of petroleum reserves. Sure people would go to Hamilton games and probably cheer them on, but would Hamilton ever really be able to build a solid fan base. Or would Hamilton fans always be Leaf fans first, Hamilton fans second. If Buffalo fans think Leaf fans swarm their building.....just wait to see if Hamilton got a team....the sea of blue and white would be so great in Copps Coliseum, you'd swear the game was at the ACC. The NHL has learned all too well about this problem in New Jersey and Long Island. It's not that Long Island and New Jersey aren;t hockey fans, it's that the greater region of New York is already Ranger fans, and no amount of cups won by Brodeur will change that.

I think moving the team to Waterloo just sounds like a pipedream only because of the demographics. To small, especially with the leagues biggest team in Toronto not too far away. Be cool in a way, they would be like the Green Bay of the NHL but I can't see this happening.

Winnipeg's arena is too small, even the new one they just built

Hamilton would be awesome just because of their proximity to me but they've got already two established franchises there stuck between.

crap....one of the main reasons my fiance wanted to move to nashville was so i could go to preds games......looks like that wont be happening....denver, here i come....:-P

You got something wrong with Denver and the Avs?! :blink:

My brother lives out in TN and predicated this would happen because of attendance. However, I looked up the 06-07 attendance record and there were 7 other teams that were worse than the Preds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

I saw a poll on ESPN sometime this year, were Seattle Washington was voted one of the best places to move an NHL team to along with KC and Huston. I think any of these would be perfect for an NHL team although I would hate to see the Preds moved.

My brother lives out in TN and predicated this would happen because of attendance. However, I looked up the 06-07 attendance record and there were 7 other teams that were worse than the Preds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007''>http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007' target="_blank">http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007[/post]

I saw a poll on ESPN sometime this year, were Seattle Washington was voted one of the best places to move an NHL team to along with KC and Huston. I think any of these would be perfect for an NHL team although I would hate to see the Preds moved.

Balsillie has no intentions of moving them to another American city.

The Predator's didn't have the lowest attendance in the league, but you have to take into account what seats are being sold. The owner said he had to sell the team because local businesses and higher income families weren't buying the more expensive seats. The Predator's attendance rating mostly consisted of people in the cheaper seats. In other words, Nashville wasn't bottom in attendance, but they were bottom in team revenue.

The Hurricanes have a similar problem.

I dunno about that. Carolina's done pretty well filling the lower bowl. And we've still got a couple corporate sponsers. If nothing changes in a couple years, then we'll be in the same boat that Nashville's in now.

I dunno about that. Carolina's done pretty well filling the lower bowl. And we've still got a couple corporate sponsers. If nothing changes in a couple years, then we'll be in the same boat that Nashville's in now.

Yeah, most of the games I've seen (in person or on TV), the lower bowl was almost entirely filled. There was one string maybe in January during the weekdays that it wasn't doing so well, but for the most part, it's been quite packed.

I believe it is stormrider who has stated multiple times that the financial problem in the Hurricanes organisation is Karmanos' inability to attract corporate sponsorship....Corporate sponsorship or affiliation.

I believe it is stormrider who has stated multiple times that the financial problem in the Hurricanes organisation is Karmanos' inability to attract corporate sponsorship....Corporate sponsorship or affiliation.

Like I said, if nothing changes in a couple years.

http://www.petitiononline.com/19972007/petition-sign.html

I'm just trying to get everyone that supports the Preds in Nashville to sign this petition.

It would be sooo appreciated, you have no idea.

And if you don't want to sign, then that's fine. Just please don't flame me. Because all I'm trying to do is keep the team I love and cherish in the city where I live....Nashville.

The Preds have quickly became a huge part of life and now I love them as much as you can love a team. Please sign it.

And Call 1-212-789-2000 and just tell the NHL league offices that you think the Preds belong in Nashville. But the number won't be back open till Tuesday.

Thank you Canes' Fans for taking the time to read this post. Please sign the petition and long live hockey in the SOUTH!! :)

I could swear we've done this kinda thing before....

Oh wait, we did. For the Sabres.

Oh yeah! And those funny waddling birds too.... The Penguins?

Not just a Southern team's problem, apparantly.

The circumstances are different with Nashville.

Balsillie clearly has an ultimatum

No amount of petition signing is going to save the Preds. Their fate lyes in their own hands. If the fans in Nashville can crack an ave attendance of 14,000 next year (which is nothing), Balsillie has to stay in the Sommet Center for another 7 years by law. If they don't reach that number, Balsillie has the option of buying out his lease on the building.

If that happens, I won't shed any tears....I'm sorry.