The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac247

Nashville Predators SOLD

The circumstances are different with Nashville.

Balsillie clearly has an ultimatum

No amount of petition signing is going to save the Preds. Their fate lyes in their own hands. If the fans in Nashville can crack an ave attendance of 14,000 next year (which is nothing), Balsillie has to stay in the Sommet Center for another 7 years by law. If they don't reach that number, Balsillie has the option of buying out his lease on the building.

If that happens, I won't shed any tears....I'm sorry.

I would have to agree, no amount of petition signing could save the Whalers. but that communities loss was my gain, now i am a STH with the '06 Stanley Cup Champions so their is a silver lining in that. Now if corporate Nashville will step up to the plate then that would really throw a monkey wrench into things. stranger things have happened.

There is one thing I will feel sorry about.....

If Balsillie truly has no interest in staying in Nashville, I can see him doing a number of things to ensure the team will not make the 14,000 marker.

1) Raise ticket prices (which would seem logical considering they have the worst revenue in the league)

2) Poor Zero money or effort into attracting new sponsorship

3) Show a reluctance to meet the cap

4) Do nothing new to promote the team across the city.

As much as I get annoyed with FW's constant Whaler's whining....Karmanos did the exact same thing in Hartford as Caniac97 already pointed out.

Well I'd rather they stay put, but as long as they don't move to Hartford or Canada I'm all for it.

If he really wanted to have terrible attendance and move them team he'd just get rid of all the good players for picks and prospects. Might be a good time to try and snag Kariya or somebody for a bag of pucks (babchuk? :lol: )!

Kansas City: KC doesn't have a new arena, but if Balsillie was seriously interested in moving a team there, I don't think negotiations between him and the BoG would have gotten so ugly in Pittsburgh. What KC does have going for them is location. If places like LA, Nashville, Anaheim, etc are having a hard enough time attracting fans and corporate revenue to home games against well established cities like Colorado, Dallas, San Jose, could you imagine the difficult they'd have trying to convince people to buy tickets against cities they've never heard of like Hamilton, Winnipeg, Waterloo. If Nashville had to move, I can guarantee you the BoG would prefer its relocation to be somewhere with national appeal.

I know the Predators probably won't end up there but KC does have a new arena opening in October.

http://www.sprintcenter.com/' target="_blank">Click On Me!!![/post]

crap....one of the main reasons my fiance wanted to move to nashville was so i could go to preds games......looks like that wont be happening....denver, here i come....:-P

You got something wrong with Denver and the Avs?! :blink:

haha, not at all, was just commenting :lol:

I believe it is stormrider who has stated multiple times that the financial problem in the Hurricanes organisation is Karmanos' inability to attract corporate sponsorship....Corporate sponsorship or affiliation.

Corporate sponsorship at the level they want, not "much at all." The Canes have some very good sponsors in GSK, QUintiles, John Deere, etc and small corps in club/lower level, but they want more. That is what makes a team more stable. Plus, all depends on what they pay. I see where Nashville has many sponsers on their boards but if they are paying $50K for that and GSK is paying the Canes $800K for a full fledge sponsorship, it makes a difference. (Those are only estimates)

I still say the Canes need an airline, Lowes/Home Depot, tie company (Michelin, where are you as a SC based NA HQed company !!) .

Nashville does not have that base as it was lost from the first 2 years when the team first came.

There is never enough. The Canes have some and it is good but they want more.

I believe it is stormrider who has stated multiple times that the financial problem in the Hurricanes organisation is Karmanos' inability to attract corporate sponsorship....Corporate sponsorship or affiliation.

Corporate sponsorship at the level they want, not "much at all." They have some very good sponsors in GSK, QUintiles, John Deere and small corps in club/lower level, but they want more. That is what makes a team more stable.

Nashville does not have that base as it was lost from the first 2 years when the team first came.

There is never enough. They have some and it is good but they want more.

Part of the Canes problem IMO is a lack of real marketing effort. When they first came here their attitude was "if we bring it they will come" and with all the places corporations have to put their money in this area, it just doesn't work that way. Just like with the fans you gotta make it something we WILL NOT live without. You have to bring in the types of corporations that are either some of the largest employers or have products that can benefit from their name being seen at the RBC Center. Even though John Deere doesn't have any problem selling equipment, having there name plastered all over plus the Zamboni's painted in their corp colors i am sure has sold more than a few extra tractors.

Corporate sponsorship at the level they want, not "much at all." They have some very good sponsors in GSK, QUintiles, John Deere and small corps in club/lower level, but they want more. That is what makes a team more stable.

There is never enough. They have some and it is good but they want more.

Part of the Canes problem IMO is a lack of real marketing effort. When they first came here their attitude was "if we bring it they will come" and with all the places corporations have to put their money in this area, it just doesn't work that way. Just like with the fans you gotta make it something we WILL NOT live without. You have to bring in the types of corporations that are either some of the largest employers or have products that can benefit from their name being seen at the RBC Center. Even though John Deere doesn't have any problem selling equipment, having there name plastered all over plus the Zamboni's painted in their corp colors i am sure has sold more than a few extra tractors.

Agree, they just hired this new guy from KC and I think we will see some improvements. That is why JR says , "The Canes need to do better." My opinion is the guy who had the position also had many other job duties. As the org grows, they are hiring more back office guys who can specialize on this.

It is a tough sell for any company, no matter where you live.

As a business person who has worked in corporate marketing, I think the Canes have done a good job of keeping thier sponsorship rates fairly high not to erode the value. That is why you don't see some guy yelling to the camera to come buy his cars up in Person county during the games. I think, but not positive, that maybe Nashville and even others may have let thier sponsorship value erode in order to get companies in.

I just know that the Hurricane's poor sponsorship is usually most evident in the playoffs. Most of the adds around the arena are sold to corporations of the visiting team. That's why you see plenty of Tim Horton's or Canadian Tire ads floating around the RBC whenever the Canes face a team from way up north.

Back on topic...

If Nashville is going to move, the NHL needs to start placing teams in arenas with markets that will take immediately. This "it takes time" strategy is all fine and dandy for a select few teams, but now that the new CBA makes each team's revenue liable to the entire league, we need more healthy markets.

I just know that the Hurricane's poor sponsorship is usually most evident in the playoffs. Most of the adds around the arena are sold to corporations of the visiting team. That's why you see plenty of Tim Horton's or Canadian Tire ads floating around the RBC whenever the Canes face a team from way up north.

Back on topic...

If Nashville is going to move, the NHL needs to start placing teams in arenas with markets that will take immediately. This "it takes time" strategy is all fine and dandy for a select few teams, but now that the new CBA makes each team's revenue liable to the entire league, we need more healthy markets.

Ads for Tim Horton's and Canadian Tire during last year's playoffs? In Raleigh? I must have missed those. SAS, Quintiles, Rex Health Care, RBC Centura...those I remember.

Back on topic...

Ads for Tim Horton's and Canadian Tire during last year's playoffs? In Raleigh? I must have missed those. SAS, Quintiles, Rex Health Care, RBC Centura...those I remember.

Yeah... I don't remember ever seeing those at the RBC Center, either. Not when I was there in person, or on tv.

Was thinking it might be another reason to watch Game 7 on video again to look for those, though. :D

Get a certain number of tickets sold and the franchise will stay *GUARANTEED*. Hmmm... now what does that remind me of? Hmmm.. I just can't place it. Oh yeah... the Whalers. Nashville isn't facing the same problems in terms of arena, etc. but I think they have a good chance of moving.

The question is where. Most of the north is saturated. Who in New England and Canada doesn't already have an NHL team they follow? The league isn't going to put a team where they will lose fans from one team just to get them to follow another team. They need new fans so where do they get them? It's got to be a place with a young, affluent demographic. Nashville, Las Vegas, KC. I wonder why Wisconsin doesn't make a bid. That seems like a good hockey state. Maybe the economy there isn't so great.

Expansion teams were created to get the NHL a better TV contract. It's not working out so far but they've proven that they are willing to give it some time. Who knows...maybe they will stay.

yeah you're right, last year there were none. I was thinking of the other playoff run the canes made, when they played Montreal and Toronto. So I guess that suggests that some improvement has been made.

The question is where. Most of the north is saturated. Who in New England and Canada doesn't already have an NHL team they follow? The league isn't going to put a team where they will lose fans from one team just to get them to follow another team. They need new fans so where do they get them? It's got to be a place with a young, affluent demographic. Nashville, Las Vegas, KC. I wonder why Wisconsin doesn't make a bid. That seems like a good hockey state. Maybe the economy there isn't so great.

I'd agree with you, if there wasn't such a high demand for Leaf/Sabres tickets. Don't forget that EVERYONE in Ottawa was either a hab/leaf fan before the senators returned. You could extend the same argument there, but that's not what happened. Today there are plenty of die hard Senator fans that bleed sen colours.

"We don't want to lose fans from different franchises" is just an argument Bettman's been using for the past 15 years to defend his "we need to grow in the south" argument. The fact is, Every major sport in North America has double saturated it's biggest markets (in terms of popularity). New York has the Yankees and the Mets, Chicago has the Sox and the Cubs. Even the NFL and NBA have taken their share of double tapping it's largest markets. The NHL is the only one that hasn't, because it's biggest market is in a region with cities that aren't that appealing across America. Southern Ontario cities like Waterloo, Hamilton, Cambridge, don't provide much of a selling pitch for ticket sales when they go on the road.

Back on topic...

Your first comment is not correct. In 2002, with Playoff round with Montr

there was some ad space up for sale during that series ('02), remember reading an article in the News & Observer. The club intentionally made some space available at quite a premium, space that was normally going for $300k for the season was going for $1mil for the series. Not sure about the '06 run.

Then I apologies for my mistake in billboard information. I just remember hearing about Toronto business trying to buy out adds in the RBC in 2002 because they were going dirt cheap and the Hurricanes were having trouble selling them all.

there was some ad space up for sale during that series ('02), remember reading an article in the News & Observer. The club intentionally made some space available at quite a premium, space that was normally going for $300k for the season was going for $1mil for the series. Not sure about the '06 run.

That may have been what I was thinking of. I remember them talking about it on Toronto's sports talk radio. How the Toronto businesses were trying to outbid, or something like that, it was a long time ago. Caniac97, maybe they made that space to use potential canadian corporate buyers as a way to drive up the price for local sponsorships.

More than likely, i don't think they did that this last time because we were coming off the lockout and most advertisers in all markets were skiddish about putting too much money in hockey ads, can't say that i blame them.

More than likely, i don't think they did that this last time because we were coming off the lockout and most advertisers in all markets were skiddish about putting too much money in hockey ads, can't say that i blame them.

Yeah I think I recanted '06 earlier in this thread already. I guess the problem in Carolina isn't the amount of sponsors, but the amount of $$$$ each one is actually sponsoring.

I still have some concerns myself as to if the corporate community will bounce back here, the lockout could not have come at what i thought was the worst possible time. when Bettman was here and had a "town hall" meeting i made that point known.

you got to cus out Bettman? I'm jealous.

yep, the little munchkin tried to tap dance - too bad i didn't have a gun.

Good discussion but I think its best kept to PM's. I understand the connection, but the topic is about Nashville and the Preds, not RBC sponorship.

Good discussion but I think its best kept to PM's. I understand the connection, but the topic is about Nashville and the Preds, not RBC sponorship.