The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  

Who Do You Think Is The Most Under Rated Cane

Still going with Wes. All work, no glory. Well, all except that little prance he did across the ice at the second they won the cup. :)

Still going with Wes. All work, no glory. Well, all except that little prance he did across the ice at the second they won the cup. :)

Actually hockey came from Canada... it was derived from Lacrosse and is our national passtime, while Lacrosse remains our official national sport.

actually, the first records indicate a "hockey like game" being first played in the Netherlands... check out wikipedia on the history, first organized hockey was in Canada though... so in a sense you're both right... but yeah, back to the topic at hand, my vote goes to ... the whole flippin team... honsetly, I think if Gretzky (in his prime) played here the so-called "experts" would move him off their fantasy board. within the team, he most underrated by "experts" - Wesley - one of the most positionally sound defensemen in the entire league and he gets zero respect outside of the league

need I bash it into your head again? points Ovenchicken 5, LaRose 4...so much for your "star"

And why must I bash it into everyone's heads to get the topic back on track?

And besides, I wouldn't spend too much time wasted on AO - he's gone now, people, & some others will be as well if they don't get the thread topic back on track & keep it that way. Carry on.

Have to agree with Cory Stillman. Lowered expectations coming off his poor post-injury showing last year. Does it mostly by setting up others, he is sneaky good.

Looks like it is very close with Wes and Still. I think the whole team is, but as long as we know our guys, that should be all that matters. We don't want them getting too much attention, then they may go away..... to crappier teams :( I don't under rate any of our players.

The Question is UNDER rated

Without a Doubt it is CAM WARD.

Go to every teams message board and poll who are the Top Ten Goalies in the league , I guarantee you that Cams name will never come up.

I agree 110% with you! I go on a lot of the other teams boards and whenever they have the top goalie threads, he is not mentioned, like you said.

My other choice would have to be Wesley. He is excellent, though a lot of other teams' fans say he is too old and don't worry about him too much. I'm guessing that penguins' fans (and especially Crosby :P ) won't make that mistake again. :lol:

My opinion, Stillman. Staal & Cole both benefit from his presence. He has good vision on the ice, he always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Yes, he gets plenty of "air time", but alot of time its because he is making somebody else look good.

My second choice would be LaRose. With the exception of the past couple of games, he quietly does his thing... bringing energy. But since he's been move up to the first line with Brindy, we can see some extra excitement and points.

Wes stillman and walker. Wes holds the D together and doesnt get mentioned, stillman is a HUGE part of the staal and cole line and walker's physical presence is also huge.

Hi Everyone. This is my 1st posting. Some background. I am from Thunder Bay, (population 120,000) hometown of 8 current NHL players with many more from the past. Been involved with hockey for 50 years. There are a number of "Canes players that could be classified as underrated. I will probably cause some consternation with my opinion, but I would go with one who has had very limited opportunity to strut his stuff since joining the "Canes. The player is Trevor Letowski. Last year he never fully recovered from his headshot during the Pittsburgh game and this year has seen very limited ice-time. I might add that he again is injured, having played the last 2 games with a suspected fractured jaw after being run into by Adams. He handles the puck well, is a very good defensive player and puts his team-mates ahead of himself, sometimes to his own detriment. He is a solid player if given the chance...Thanks for letting me send in my opinion.

The player is Trevor Letowski. Last year he never fully recovered from his headshot during the Pittsburgh game and this year has seen very limited ice-time.

I find this true, but Letowski does see time. Crackers comes in only when Cam is Injured or playing bad.

Letowski's headshot was horrid. It scared me SOOOOO bad, I nearly jumped from my seat into the television. However, I don't believe the limited ice time is due to the injury... just there ARE better players on the team that deserve more time.

By the way... WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! :)

Hi Everyone. This is my 1st posting. Some background. I am from Thunder Bay, (population 120,000) hometown of 8 current NHL players with many more from the past. Been involved with hockey for 50 years. There are a number of "Canes players that could be classified as underrated. I will probably cause some consternation with my opinion, but I would go with one who has had very limited opportunity to strut his stuff since joining the "Canes. The player is Trevor Letowski. Last year he never fully recovered from his headshot during the Pittsburgh game and this year has seen very limited ice-time. I might add that he again is injured, having played the last 2 games with a suspected fractured jaw after being run into by Adams. He handles the puck well, is a very good defensive player and puts his team-mates ahead of himself, sometimes to his own detriment. He is a solid player if given the chance...Thanks for letting me send in my opinion.

First of all, welcome to the board. You're probably right about Letowski and Im sure he's not been mentioned cause we haven't really had a chance to see what he can do. That concussion he received from Colby Armstrong really ruined most of his season last year, and with the acquisition of Belanger, he never really got a chance to play on the line he was signed for even when he was relatively healthy.

This year, because of the signings of Cullen, Hamilton and all the forward depth, Im afraid we still won't get to see all he has to offer. I will tell you what I can see, is a player who quietly waits for his opportunities without complaining or disrupting a locker room. And when he gets his chances, he gives 100% on the ice each shift. I think you're right and this does qualify him as an underrated player for those reasons.

First of all, welcome to the board. You're probably right about Letowski and Im sure he's not been mentioned cause we haven't really had a chance to see what he can do. That concussion he received from Colby Armstrong really ruined most of his season last year, and with the acquisition of Belanger, he never really got a chance to play on the line he was signed for even when he was relatively healthy.

This year, because of the signings of Cullen, Hamilton and all the forward depth, Im afraid we still won't get to see all he has to offer. I will tell you what I can see, is a player who quietly waits for his opportunities without complaining or disrupting a locker room. And when he gets his chances, he gives 100% on the ice each shift. I think you're right and this does qualify him as an underrated player for those reasons.

I have to say this year so far to me it is Wesley. It seems he has taken it up a notch this year and his experience on defense is second to none. Last year he seemed a little off his game but obviously he worked hard in the off season and has came back with a vengance. I can't think of anyone better at stopping shots or giving up their body for the team.

Welcome :) and thanks for your post. All of the posts bring up valid points and that just helps me watch the team with a better "eye."

I remember Roenick getting nailed in the jaw. His game just crumbled after that. I still haven't figured out if Cole is super brave or super crazy to play after his injury. I don't think many pro's would come back and play after a hit like that nor play at the level he is today.

ThunderBay...I have been somewhat close. I have been to Marquette!

Welcome :) and thanks for your post. All of the posts bring up valid points and that just helps me watch the team with a better "eye."

I remember Roenick getting nailed in the jaw. His game just crumbled after that. I still haven't figured out if Cole is super brave or super crazy to play after his injury. I don't think many pro's would come back and play after a hit like that nor play at the level he is today.

ThunderBay...I have been somewhat close. I have been to Marquette!

The most underrated Cane is easily Cory Stillman...all this guy does is add leadership and class when in the lineup. Honorable mention goes to Hamilton and Chad Larose. I respectfully disagree with the new guy on the boards from Thunder Bay....I personally think Letowski is the most overrated Cane.....He has 3 goals and few assists and many healthy scratches in the past year.

Well, in terms of the most underrated player, e.i. the unsung hero, I'd have to say the entire defensive squad, most notably Wesley. Also, Cam is still underrated, although his presence is beginning to be felt by the NHL. There is a lot of underrated players on offense; I could go with any of the following: Walker, Stillman, Cullen, LaRose, and Hamilton. I don't know if anyone has mentioned Hamilton, but when we signed him, I had mixed thoughts but high hopes, as I'd never heard of him, but the team said that he was a versatile player and was good at shootouts. I've been impressed with Hamilton's play, and he did score in the shootout against Pittsburgh (that cursed place), although we lost because Ward got totally schooled by the Penguin's shooters. Anyway, I guess if I had to pick the most underrated player at this point in the season, I would go with Hamilton (rare pick?).

On the money with this vote. Wesley is definitely an under rated Cane. How many players get their jaw raked open like he did and just come back to play like it never happened? Wait a minute we have another...Colesy.

It really depends on if you mean locally or nationally.

Locally - Wallin

Nationally - Whitney

IMO

Good point. I meant nationally!

On the money with this vote. Wesley is definitely an under rated Cane. How many players get their jaw raked open like he did and just come back to play like it never happened? Wait a minute we have another...Colesy.

It really depends on if you mean locally or nationally.

Locally - Wallin

Nationally - Whitney

IMO

Good point. I meant nationally!