The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cheapseats

Will Tallinder Be Suspended?

Do you think that the head shot on Bayda will draw a suspension? I think that a suspension should be based on intent not on results. He went after Ryans head with his stick. If his aim was better he would have, in all probably, done some serious damage, then there would have been no question. But he missed (thank God) so does he walk? As far as I'm concerned .... 20 games. Punish based on what he tried to do.

cheapseats

I agree 100% especially with you saying "based on intent not results". I'm hearing buzz about 2 or 3 game suspension, but should definitely be 20 games. What is this Tallinder's record for penalties or suspensions in the past?

No way. There were several reasons to let that one slide.

1) It was a statement hit. It happens at the end of many ugly games when the embarrassed team is trying to save a little face.

2) The hit was made on Jeff Hamilton, if memory serves. He is so small, its hard not to be somewhere near the head.

3) It was not a cheap shot. He wasn't stalking anyone and the "intent" was to put the guy into the boards. The head contact was not intentional, and it wasn't particularly violent.

i saw a dirty hit, but i didnt realize it was that bad, do we have video?

He actually hit/shoved him twice-first with a shove to the back and then lunged at his head against the glass (not as graphic as the others recently but as cheapseat says--it's the intent that matters, not the result. The first hit/shove was a typical hockey grudge-no harm done, but to come back to the head a few seconds later-to me it showed malice, not "oh I just lost my head for a second". If you did not DVR then see if a repeat feed on later tonight or in next day or two, but I'm sure we will be seeing this in highlights or youtube.

No way. There were several reasons to let that one slide.

1) It was a statement hit. It happens at the end of many ugly games when the embarrassed team is trying to save a little face.

2) The hit was made on Jeff Hamilton, if memory serves. He is so small, its hard not to be somewhere near the head.

3) It was not a cheap shot. He wasn't stalking anyone and the "intent" was to put the guy into the boards. The head contact was not intentional, and it wasn't particularly violent.

The hit we are talking about was to Bayda not Hamilton.

Tallinder has never been suspended and trust me he is about the last player that even can say the words physical. So there was no intent IMO. In my eyes he is a terrible d man even though people here are huge on the guy. He is not physical, if you pressure him he folds like a blind. And does not have that nasty streak in him.

i willl say probably no suspension, but if there is one it will be under 5 games. this is due to the facts that A) it was only on Bayda, not a star player B)it was at the end of an ugly game so it was, as said earlier, kind of just a statement and C) there was no real injury. also tallinder has no real past record of this he just got mad for a second and he probably is regretting it by now

Like someone said earlier

Should be suspended

But Probably won't

I just don't know, with all the buzz you hear about the NHL supposedly cracking down on hits to the head, well that was definitely a deliberate cross check to Ryan Bayda's head. If it's a black and white rule, he has to be suspended.

there is no difference between this hit and Boulerice's is there??? and that dude got 25 games

Besides the fact Boulerice actually connected and has had issues in every leauge that he has played in the past. Where suspensions were handed to him left and right. And teams had enough of his non sense.

there is no difference between this hit and Boulerice's is there??? and that dude got 25 games

Boulerice knocked the dude out with a hard cross-check to the face. Bayda got punched in the head with two hands. It looked like a cross-check, but I don't think it was. Tallinder had one hand on his stick and I'm pretty sure he got Bayda with his hands, not his stick. I don't think it's suspension-worthy. It was cheap and illegal, but it wasn't anything like the vicious head-hunting we've seen around the league lately.

If the league wants to send a message, they will suspend him. I think the point would be best made if he was suspened for each time we play them this year. It would only be a three game suspension, but it might stop junk like that from happening.

If the league wants to send a message, they will suspend him. I think the point would be best made if he was suspened for each time we play them this year. It would only be a three game suspension, but it might stop junk like that from happening.

Yeah but that would only give them a reason to whine about why they lost

Tallinder is not a dirty player, as Forslund said during the broadcast last night.

Frustration built and he we a little overboard. If Bayda had actually gotten hurt, then yes a suspension is warranted.

Though the league may still give him something for intent, I would say he won't get suspended.

I was at the game and watched the tv broadcast when I got home and I was really surprised to see Tallinder do that because, as hopper and Forslund said, that is NOT like him at all. I agree that because Bayda was not hurt, luckily, I don't think they'll suspend him for the hit but it definitely warrants a review and perhaps a fine. That's my opinion anyway.

He'll get a game at most. My guess would just be a small fine. Yes he did go for the head--but not really with the stick. It was clearly a frustration penalty and that really can't be tolerated at that stage of the game. If he wanted to get out his emotions--he should've picked on Timmy or Mike and they would have been more than willing to give him an "outlet" for his aggression.

And this is no way like Jesse--Jesse (1) has a history of goonery (2) stalked the guy (3) hit him with a clear intent to injure with the stick to the face. This incident is more like Pronger in playoffs smashing the guys head into the glass--and its not even as bad as that hit.

He'll get a game at most. My guess would just be a small fine. Yes he did go for the head--but not really with the stick. It was clearly a frustration penalty and that really can't be tolerated at that stage of the game. If he wanted to get out his emotions--he should've picked on Timmy or Mike and they would have been more than willing to give him an "outlet" for his aggression.

And this is no way like Jesse--Jesse (1) has a history of goonery (2) stalked the guy (3) hit him with a clear intent to injure with the stick to the face. This incident is more like Pronger in playoffs smashing the guys head into the glass--and its not even as bad as that hit.

Actually Commodore probably wouldn't have fought. The guys were really focused last night and even when Peters tried getting Commodore to go, he kept refusing. Plus at that point in the game, with 7 seconds left, it would be pointless for one of our guys to fight unless they had a REALLY good reason to.

The league will look at it, but probably nothing more than that. Maybe a game or two, but since there was no injury and Bayda seemed to see it coming and got out of the way I doubt it happen. The biggest problem is that if the NHL starts suspending players for that kind of hit they will be handing out a lot of suspensions for similar ones in the future.