The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
carolinagirl1081

Caniacs vs Buffalo fans tonight 10/24/07

unfortunately it's the bad ones that attract all the attention. Few people notice the ones sitting there, enjoying the game and being polite about it. I haven't had a chance to go to RBC center yet, looking forward to it when I move next year. Do they have police at all the entrances to the arena or just ushers? Here in Tulsa, there's a police officer at every entrance, and if things start getting rowdy, you can count of 4-5 more showing up in under 30 seconds.. I've never seen a fight in the stands, even when we play Okal. City (our most hated rival from 100 miles down the turnpike). Also, they have 1 section (usually in the upper level corner) designated as family section. No alcohol allowed and no profanity. Using profanity will get you 1 warning, second offense you get tossed. When I take my son, I get seats up there. When I go with my buddies, we're down by the glass. Maybe the Canes might want to look at doing something like that.

There are only ushers at the enterances, but there are cops roaming around the arena.

And I don't know how I feel about a family section. It's probably a good idea, but do we really need another empty section? :P

There are only ushers at the enterances, but there are cops roaming around the arena.

And I don't know how I feel about a family section. It's probably a good idea, but do we really need another empty section? :P

all depends on how you promote it.. make a family package.. 4 watered down sodas, 4 stale hotdogs (some things are consistant among ALL arenas), and 4 tickets for like $40 or something.. might get enough families to fill a section, ya never know.. I see some guys with just their wives in the Family section cause the wives don't want to hear it either.. anythings workable if you market it right...

Of course, having not been to RBC yet, it's somewhat specualtion on my part. But I bet it would go pretty good.

all depends on how you promote it.. make a family package.. 4 watered down sodas, 4 stale hotdogs (some things are consistant among ALL arenas), and 4 tickets for like $40 or something.. might get enough families to fill a section, ya never know.. I see some guys with just their wives in the Family section cause the wives don't want to hear it either.. anythings workable if you market it right...

Of course, having not been to RBC yet, it's somewhat specualtion on my part. But I bet it would go pretty good.

I actually think that would work around here. This is a huge family area and the Canes games are full of kids.

I actually think that would work around here. This is a huge family area and the Canes games are full of kids.

cool.. if you know anyone in the canes organization, maybe suggest it to them. I'd love to have that when I move there next year. Like I said, when it's just me and my buddies, I'm not opposed to having a beer and getting loud (not instigating, but not Sunday School either), but when I take my 3 year old son to a game, I don't like him picking up that language. I bet a lot of other families in the area feel the same.. Maybe the Canes management reads these boards now and then???

I think most may be an exaggeration....Maybe at the playoff game a few years ago, but at least (to me) it didn't seem like that last night.

I can come up with examples of poor Canes' fan behavior too. When Gaustad when down the Canes fan next to me made a joke comparing him to Kevin Everett, the Buffalo Bills player who is now paralyzed after taking a hit to the head. Do I think all Canes fans are like him? No. When I was leaving the game I had a Canes fan taunting me. I love being taunted about having to drive all the way back up to Buffalo, that is a good one.

I do not doubt that there are more examples of Sabres fans misbehaving than Canes fans, but sweeping generalizations based on the actions of a few are easy to make and not always correct. Most of you Canes fans seem to have a good attitude about the situation, but I wish the ones who make such sweeping generalizations about the entire Buffalo fan base would take a step back and think about it.

Kevin

Quoting Walker_24:

Its a shame that most (not all) buffalo fans can be so disrespectful and not care for anybody or property in the arena! There is no excuse for the way their fans acted! its just ridiculous

I think most may be an exaggeration....Maybe at the playoff game a few years ago, but at least (to me) it didn't seem like that last night.

I can come up with examples of poor Canes' fan behavior too. When Gaustad when down the Canes fan next to me made a joke comparing him to Kevin Everett, the Buffalo Bills player who is now paralyzed after taking a hit to the head. Do I think all Canes fans are like him? No. When I was leaving the game I had a Canes fan taunting me. I love being taunted about having to drive all the way back up to Buffalo, that is a good one.

I do not doubt that there are more examples of Sabres fans misbehaving than Canes fans, but sweeping generalizations based on the actions of a few are easy to make and not always correct. Most of you Canes fans seem to have a good attitude about the situation, but I wish the ones who make such sweeping generalizations about the entire Buffalo fan base would take a step back and think about it.

Kevin

Quoting Walker_24:

Its a shame that most (not all) buffalo fans can be so disrespectful and not care for anybody or property in the arena! There is no excuse for the way their fans acted! its just ridiculous

Whoever made that "joke" about Kevin Everett should be shot. That's absolutely disgusting behavior, especially since one of the Hurricanes' own, Erik Cole, came very close to having the same thing happen to him.

Whoever made that "joke" about Kevin Everett should be shot. That's absolutely disgusting behavior, especially since one of the Hurricanes' own, Erik Cole, came very close to having the same thing happen to him.

its stupid people like that, that give canes fans a bad rep.

This is a huge family area and the Canes games are full of kids.

Then why are we continuing with the "You suck!" chant (to the goalie OR a ref)?? Sorry, I just think it's lame and immature. Is this something you really want to see your kids hearing and/or chanting??

Mine already does it - does that mean I'm a bad parent? So long as the children are taught that it's all a part of a GAME & not to do that outside the arena, & they're also old enough, I don't see the problem. It's all in good fun. Nothing more. Someone doesn't want their own kids to do that, then teach them not to do it & why the parent thinks they shouldn't participate. People want to go to something where people are on their very best behaviour then maybe that Preakness race (where little men or women smack the tail end of a horse so they'll go faster) might be the thing for them instead of hockey??

Then why are we continuing with the "You suck!" chant (to the goalie OR a ref)?? Sorry, I just think it's lame and immature. Is this something you really want to see your kids hearing and/or chanting??

If you'll read the other post you'll see where several posters have already mentioned that these kids hear far worse at school. this is a hockey game not a dance recital!

I can tell you, Carolina is probably one of the tamest NHL locales as far as fan behavior goes. Again, there are so many worse things a kid can be hearing than "you suck."

Now, I'm just a college guy and I don't have kids, but trying to be objective, it's easy for kids to hear much worse on TV, etc. I'd much rather have a kid misuse "you suck" than certain other phrases.

If you want to hear some real verbal sparks fly, go to a game at Madison Square Garden or in Philly. Do that and I think you'll appreciate the environment at the RBCC. Again, I'm not saying we should have low standards, but I firmly believe that if a kid hears "you suck," it will not irreversibly corrupt him/her. It's a sporting event, it's not the opera. Saying "you suck" or otherwise being partisan/enthusiastic does not make you less classy.

If you're asking me personally (since you quoted me), I stated my opinion earlier in this thread. Im not a big fan of the "you suck" part of the cheer but taunting the opposing team is as much a part of sports as tailgating and stale pretzels. Some folks just do it a little classier than others.

My kids are well aware of what is and isn't acceptable language.

If you're asking me personally (since you quoted me), I stated my opinion earlier in this thread. Im not a big fan of the "you suck" part of the cheer but taunting the opposing team is as much a part of sports as tailgating and stale pretzels. Some folks just do it a little classier than others.

My kids are well aware of what is and isn't acceptable language.

Doesn't mean that some people are more classy than others - it's all apart of what you consider fun to do & I don't really think it's fair to judge people on a silly little chant, do any of you? To each, his own.

This doesnt make anything right but Kevin Everett is making a great recovery and has recently been walking with assistance and can move his fingers now to. Doctors have said he should after a long haul be able to walk again.

Judging by your post I dont think you knew that.... but it doesnt make what the guy said right because Kevin is doing good.

... & I do believe that we have a thread specifically for discussions about the chants, so why don't we all (including myself - guilty as charged) stop derailing this one & use that one for it from now on, k? Thanks.

thank you 300! I take offense when someone questions my parenting skills because dagonit I've done a great job raising my kids and they never get into trouble. Ok, maybe they might talk too much in class. Half of the people saying something negative about the you suck chant cuss in front of their children like it's everyday language. Well i for one had rather hear my child say you suck than kiss my a**! I'm not judging how people raise their children because we all have different opinions on that matter I was just trying to make a valid point. I think some parents are clueless to what their children hear in school everyday. Point blank if you don't like it you need to explain to your child why you don't approve and why they shouldn't do it just like you explain to them why they person just flipped you off on the highway and it wasn't nice and don't ever want to see them do it. Sporting events will always be this way and if you think your child is too young to hear it then maybe they don't need to be going to the games.

sorry 300 i was typing away and didn't read your previous post until after i was done. i'm done now!

Doesn't mean that some people are more classy than others - it's all apart of what you consider fun to do & I don't really think it's fair to judge people on a silly little chant, do any of you? To each, his own.

I was referring to taunting the other team in general terms. I wasn't judging anyone or trying to say some folks are classier than other in regards to that chant. Some people like to taunt the other team by throwing beer on them, holding up rude signs and throwing things on the ice. IMO, that is classless.

I was referring to taunting the other team in general terms. I wasn't judging anyone or trying to say some folks are classier than other in regards to that chant. Some people like to taunt the other team by throwing beer on them, holding up rude signs and throwing things on the ice. IMO, that is classless.

Everyone,

Sorry to hear about the poor behavior of a fellow Sabres fan. I was hopeful that the incidents of the past could be put aside but I guess they linger on. The section I was in was a good mix of Canes fans and Sabres fans with no incidents. I am hopeful that this was the case in most sections as well. I would imagine most people would be more inclined to post about negative fan behavior as opposed to positive. If you are a Canes fan and had a good experience tonight, speak up! I hope you are out there. I know that I personally spoke to a few that would probably have good things to say.

Besides that, congrats on a great game. The Canes look like a much more solid team right now, and I can only hope for our sake that during the course of the long season the team will start to play better. But it doesn't look great!

Take care.

Kevin

That would be me, so I'll speak up. We had quite a few Sabres fans in our section, especially down quite close to the glass (section 122). One I even knew casually from a retail shop I frequent. Said a "hey, how's it going".

Got the biggest kick out a Canes fan behind us shouting at the end of the game, "give the puck to Maxim". I don't think he was saying it in a supportive kind of way.

Nice to see our guys crank it up in the 3rd period. Staal, in my opinion, was very active pressing the puck and back checking. Things he did not do last year. While he may not be putting up big numbers right now, he is moving well on the ice. His head seems to be in the right place.

Now, I'm just a college guy and I don't have kids, but trying to be objective, it's easy for kids to hear much worse on TV, etc. I'd much rather have a kid misuse "you suck" than certain other phrases.

If you want to hear some real verbal sparks fly, go to a game at Madison Square Garden or in Philly. Do that and I think you'll appreciate the environment at the RBCC. Again, I'm not saying we should have low standards, but I firmly believe that if a kid hears "you suck," it will not irreversibly corrupt him/her. It's a sporting event, it's not the opera. Saying "you suck" or otherwise being partisan/enthusiastic does not make you less classy.

Funny you should say that about kids. Years ago, my daughter initially thought the fans were saying "Refs, eat salt", instead of "Refs, you suck".

And yes, I've been to MSG for hockey games (1990-1994....yep, the year they won). They actually have designated "family areas" at The Garden. Not that foul language from the other areas don't seep on over.