The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Ref107's Story

I've been corrupted by the Internet. The first thing that popped into my mind when I saw this:

So this is the story

I was expecting:

All about how, My life got flipped-turned upside down

And I liked to take a minute, Just sit right there

I'll tell you how I became the prince of a town called Bel-Air

Nice story... Just one question. Why not the Leafs? I mean it wasn't like a Canes Vs. Canes was it? The Leafs were still there, and it was there home rink. I just think its kind of strange

Nice story... Just one question. Why not the Leafs? I mean it wasn't like a Canes Vs. Canes was it? The Leafs were still there, and it was there home rink. I just think its kind of strange

When its your first hockey experience at the professional level, you don't soon forget who played. I love the Leafs. Don't get me wrong, but the Canes are also a team I love. Plus there is a lot of Canadian talent on the Canes.

how old are you Ref(if you don't mind me asking)? No offense by any means. but the story was making me picture a father taking his 6-8 year old son to a hockey game, but when you said the hurricanes, obviously that was 10 yrs ago, that'd only make you 16-18.....

Great story - thanks for sharing.

You and the other admins do a great job of keeping this a fun, family-friendly forum, without being heavy-handed.

I can honestly say that of all of the sports forums (or is it fora?) that I've visited, this is the best run.

how old are you Ref(if you don't mind me asking)? No offense by any means. but the story was making me picture a father taking his 6-8 year old son to a hockey game, but when you said the hurricanes, obviously that was 10 yrs ago, that'd only make you 16-18.....

Just turned 21 actually. So 10 years ago would make me 11 (at least if I can subtract properly). I'd say I was pretty little. :)

Thank you for sharing that story, Marcus. Just goes to show how chance encounters can indeed become pivotal events in a person's life. And like CrystalCoast wrote tongue-in-cheek - Thank goodness you didn't attend a Leafs vs. Slugs game that night! :P

I love our boards! They reflect the tenor of the communities here in NC and the people who populate them (despite living in MO, when I'm "on" the board, I feel that I'm back in Carolina!). It's nice to see that the sorts of personalities and character that JR and company have assembled to become the Carolina Hurricanes is similar to the fan base, and Marcus you seem to fit right in. There is more emphasis on belonging, and being a contributing member of the group as opposed to being star vehicles and black holes of attention-seeking behavior. The Hurricanes, their organization, their fans, etc are not the "LOOK AT ME !!!" sorts who are madly in love with their own press clippings. Thankfully, our boards are not overwhelmed by personalities who are obsessed with their own delusions of grandeur relating to hockey expertise and having the right ear of the Hockey Gods.

Thank you for helping make the Hurricanes' official forum board such a nice place to 'come home' to. Just my $o.o2 from the hinterlands, but I'm always "gone to Carolina in my mind", to quote a James Taylor lyric. I am SO looking forward to coming home in a week's time. And since that Sunday will be the time change, I'll get an extra hour to spend there, although it will probably be at RDU where they will have chained me to a post at the gate to prevent me from escaping the airport and trying to keep from being sent back to Missouri...