The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
cc

You ***K chants

When you can get people to stop yelling crap during our National Anthem, like "RED!!!" & people cheering for their team during that time, then I'll stop participating in the chant. People yelling during an anthem is an infinate amount more offensive to me than some silly little chant to make fun of a sports team. You don't like it, don't participate or go to the games. People are gonna do what people are gonna do, you have the choice of whether you want you ro your kids to be & take part in it or not.

DITTO!! i agree with u 100%!

It is bad sportsmanship, and relatively low-class. Not surprising; nothing that includes the word 'suck' in it could remotely be called 'high class', and I don't think the people who start the chant are looking for a shining example of their sportsmanship, anyway.

The real crowds.. the ones that keep the energy going.. are the ones who chant (for example) the last name of the goalie over and over.. never ending. I was visiting the Saddledome one year when they were playing Edmonton (whose goalie at the time was Bill Ranford). They chanted 'Billy'... 'Billy'.. for about 8 minutes at the end of the second period... and the *entire* intermission.. and then *entire* third period.

Wow.

I get goosebumps remembering that game.

Dad and son go to a Carolina hockey game to spend quality time together and share some of life's experiences.

Son: Dad look at those sexy Carolina StormSquad girls, boy their outfits are skimpy!

Dad: Yes son, it is all a part of growing up.

Son: Dad look at that player get smashed into the boards like a Halloween pumpkin!

Dad: Yes son these guys are not little kids you know, they are tough. Being tough will make you a man someday.

Son: Dad look at that guy punching the living day lights out of that player! He is using bad language and swinging his stick at him too! Ewww all that blood!

Dad: Yes son, it's something we call a full contact sport. It will make a man out of you!

Son: Dad the fans are cheering to the other team's goalie that he "S__KS!"

Dad: Oh my GOD!! Oh my GOD!! RUN! Son RUN!! I am sorry I ever decided to take you to such a blasphemous event! Besides you need to get home to finish your school work on sex education and how the Europeans slaughter of the Native American was a good thing!

You hit the nail on the head. I just do not understand why people get so offended by it, it's just a silly and fun chant. No violence, no four-letter words. It's a HOCKEY GAME. (underline three times) It's not the place to be high-society.

P.S. No offense, but if a mere "You Suck" chant is too much for you to handle, then perhaps you should attend some cross-stitching competitions or apple bobbing contests instead.

I'm not serious, just making a point. By all means go to hockey games, but don't expect the rest of the arena to agree with you. After all, it's a free country.

Warning for all the ones you are offended by you suck....

don't ever go to the Bell Centre, cause when they yell at the refs, they yell Bull and i'm sure you can fill in the rest.

don't ever go to the Bell Centre, cause when they yell at the refs, they yell Bull and i'm sure you can fill in the rest.

In french?

In french?

I'd prefer that once the chant gets started, it just continues with the goalie name, and doesn't stop at You ***k. The longer it goes, the more people in the arena have a chance to join in, and the better chance that you will be in the middle of a "miller" or whoever when the Canes come down the ice in a rush and blast a goal by him. The last one before the you ***k is usually the loudest. Imagine how loud it would be on the 20th one.

i love the you suck chant, but this one is better. we did the constant miller chant during the 06 ECF and it was intense. i personally prefer that instead.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE the (insert goalies name here)...YOU SUCK! chant....

but I personally would have preferred to hear Lindy instead of Miller

Oh, and I must add that it sounded GREAT over the TV last night...loud and clear

OMG that would have been so cool! When do we play Buffalo at home again? :lol:

OMG that would have been so cool! When do we play Buffalo at home again? :lol:

On home ice, it looks to be the 8th of March. :)

It would be a funny twist on things if we did it to Ruff instead of Miller next time though, 'cause he/they won't be expecting it.

It would be a funny twist on things if we did it to Ruff instead of Miller next time though, 'cause he/they won't be expecting it.

THAT'S A GREAT IDEA.

BTW, before the third period started last night, someone below me stood up with an "I (heart) Lindy" sign. I yelled "RUFF IS A WALNUT WITH A MUSTACHE" and the entire section went into hysterics. :D

Sounds like a plan to me! Everyone on the board go ahead and get the word out to all your work buddies, classmates, gf's/bf's, neighbors, cats, dogs, and anyone else that'll listen. We'll make up flyers and pass them out to all the canes fans and any buffalo fan that'll take one so they'll know the drill, not really but just thought I'd add that in case someone was brave enough to do so. :rolleyes:

thank you 300! I take offense when someone questions my parenting skills because dagonit I've done a great job raising my kids and they never get into trouble. Ok, maybe they might talk too much in class. Half of the people saying something negative about the you suck chant cuss in front of their children like it's everyday language. Well i for one had rather hear my child say you suck than kiss my a**! I'm not judging how people raise their children because we all have different opinions on that matter I was just trying to make a valid point. I think some parents are clueless to what their children hear in school everyday. Point blank if you don't like it you need to explain to your child why you don't approve and why they shouldn't do it just like you explain to them why they person just flipped you off on the highway and it wasn't nice and don't ever want to see them do it. Sporting events will always be this way and if you think your child is too young to hear it then maybe they don't need to be going to the games.

Truth be told, I've heard much worse coming from the players themselves on the ice when there's a lull in the crowd noise sometimes, lol!!!

Dad and son go to a Carolina hockey game to spend quality time together and share some of life's experiences.

Son: Dad look at those sexy Carolina StormSquad girls, boy their outfits are skimpy!

Dad: Yes son, it is all a part of growing up.

Son: Dad look at that player get smashed into the boards like a Halloween pumpkin!

Dad: Yes son these guys are not little kids you know, they are tough. Being tough will make you a man someday.

Son: Dad look at that guy punching the living day lights out of that player! He is using bad language and swinging his stick at him too! Ewww all that blood!

Dad: Yes son, it's something we call a full contact sport. It will make a man out of you!

Son: Dad the fans are cheering to the other team's goalie that he "S__KS!"

Dad: Oh my GOD!! Oh my GOD!! RUN! Son RUN!! I am sorry I ever decided to take you to such a blasphemous event! Besides you need to get home to finish your school work on sex education and how the Europeans slaughter of the Native American was a good thing!

haha, you pretty much got it.

When I was a kid, sitting in the cheap seats at MSG or wearing my Rangers sweater to Nassau Coliseum, I heard much, much worse, suck as accusations of domestic violence against a certain Islanders defenseman, to put it politely, as well chanting the part of the human anatomy located at the middle of the rear end.

Also when I was a kid, to say something sucks was quite scandalous. I wasn't even allowed to say "fart". By comparison, "sucks" is relatively tame these days, no worse than saying "you stink!"

The "you suck!" chant is brilliant, I think, and it's something unique to the RBC Center, as far as I can tell. We've already got the loudest building in the NHL, we're just doing our part to make it that much more intimidating. If you watch other teams play, you'll notice that often the building is silent unless the home team scores or there's a fight. Canes fans act like every night is Game 7, and it's awesome.

I much prefer just chanting the goalies name over, and over, without the you suck at the end. It's more taunting that way, in my opinion.

I REALLY hate the "Brodeur, you suck"....best goalie maybe ever.....makes someone look like an idiot for chanting that.

Wow, this is a very interesting thread...

I just wanted to clarify that when I said I didn't like the "you suck" chant in the other thread, it had absolutely nothing to do with it being "innapropriate" or "not classy", I just don't like that part of the chant. I love Miller, but chant his name however way you want. Goalie chants are awesome. haha

But then again, maybe I'm not the best judge of something like that. I'm just a potty mouthed Buffalo fan. I grew up with the "bull----" chant. ;)

I just wanted to clarify that when I said I didn't like the "you suck" chant in the other thread, it had absolutely nothing to do with it being "innapropriate" or "not classy", I just don't like that part of the chant. I love Miller, but chant his name however way you want. Goalie chants are awesome. haha

But then again, maybe I'm not the best judge of something like that. I'm just a potty mouthed Buffalo fan. I grew up with the "bull----" chant. ;)

I'm with you dboon, Im no fan of the "you suck" part but that's just my preference, and I grew up with the Bruins....nuff said.

I'm with you dboon, Im no fan of the "you suck" part but that's just my preference, and I grew up with the Bruins....nuff said.

There are worse things being said at any given little league game. You suck chant is mild at worst. You can't keep your kid in a bubble, they hear much worse at school and if you think otherwise you got your head in the sand, and at least you are there to add context to the situation. If you take them to a sporting event where grown men hit each other with sticks, burst into fights, slam each other into walls, spit, curse, and bleed, then yeah, thats your problem.

As far as it being sportsmen like, if thats our worst, then i'm not to worried about it.

I am amazed that anyone could say the "you suck" chat shows good sportsmanship.

The argument is not that it shows good sportsmanship, it's that it doesn't show bad sportsmanship.

The "you [insert whatever word you like]" chant is lame. It's old and tiresome. If we really want to start some serious hockey chants then you need to check out some college hockey games. The best chant in college hockey is the "Sieve, sieve, sieve..." chant from the Wisconsin Badgers men's hockey. If you've ever been to a live Badgers game it's the best cheer ever. Check out You Tube for Badgers sieve cheer. It's similar to the C L E M S O N cheer you hear at NCSU football games, but I'd be most impressed if we could adopt the sieve cheer as a little southern hospitality.

As posted earlier, I don't really like that cheer, but you have to admit, it's pretty unique to the Caniac Nation. I mean, I don't think anybody does it to the degree of unison that we do. Other places it's like people yelling individually, "Hey Brodeur, you suck." But here's a thought: Watch any game, especially late when the crowd starts the "goalie-taunting" cheer. The announcer might say something like, "And the crowd taunts Brodeur with Maaarty, Maaarty," and you can hear it loud and clear. Do you think Tripp will ever say, "And the crowd taunts Brodeur with the You Suck Cheer?" (That WOULD be funny if he said it though).