The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
clark_gillies

To Stand or to Sit?

Might depend on your location in that situation. Were you behind Huet or behind Staal?

If you were behind Huet, there's some right to his claim. Probably not enough to snap at a child, but...

If you were behind Staal, he was just being stupid. The entire arena was standing, and rightly so.

Might depend on your location in that situation. Were you behind Huet or behind Staal?

If you were behind Huet, there's some right to his claim. Probably not enough to snap at a child, but...

If you were behind Staal, he was just being stupid. The entire arena was standing, and rightly so.

Between the Blue and Red Line - The Blue Line CLoser to Huet -- Here seat is next to the Tunnel , So the guy has to look to the left to see the goal - basically looking over the tunnel entrance.

My feeling is though regardless of that the whole Arena should be standing at that point -- I mean if thats not the time than pretty much the should announce it on the Jumbtron that Standing is not permitted at ANY Time.

Penalty shots you stand. More than half the arena was standing for that. Its just something you do. Just like when a game goes into the SO, the crowd stands. You daughter was fine standing and that man had no right to yell at her like that. And I would be very surprised that an 8 year old obstructed his view. And if he couldn't see, then he could have politely asked her to sit down.

If your a fan you stand if your a kinda fan you sit. If your a kinda fan sitting behind a fan you shut your mouth!

Well, you also have to take into account people with bad legs/knees/etc. It's not good for them to be standing and sitting down repeatedly. Shouldn't prevent them from watching the game though.

Well, you also have to take into account people with bad legs/knees/etc. It's not good for them to be standing and sitting down repeatedly. Shouldn't prevent them from watching the game though.

and this is the reason we have handicaped sections

There's handicapped, and then there's handicapped. Having a bum knee usually isn't enough to warrent a handicapped section. But sometimes they act up, especially with all the rain we've been getting.

If your a fan you stand if your a kinda fan you sit. If your a kinda fan sitting behind a fan you shut your mouth!

I sit for most of the games (w/ the exception being game 7 of the finals last year). I'm no less of a fan than someone who stands. General rule of thumb is that if most peope are sitting, you sit. If most are standing, then stand.

What if you have 90% of the arena standing for this PS and you have someone who opts not to stand. That's their choice to miss out on the play. Why should I sit down b/c he doesn't want to stand, then I miss the play b/c people are standing in front of me. If the majority of the arena is standing, you stand. If you opt not to, that's your problem and miss the play.

And regardless of whether you choose to sit or stand at that time, you don't snap at a young kid... tap the parent on the shoulder and ask them to sit.. my daughter is autistic. If someone yells, she starts to cry (along with numerous other loud noises- which is shy she's never been to a game).. and if you make my little girl cry, I just might have to make you cry..

Let me preface this by stating I have been going to Hockey games for over 30 years. I was a ticket Plan holder for the Islanders for about 10 years and Have been a Ticket Plan holder for the Canes every Season since moving to NC in 2002.

I was at Tonights game with my 2 Daughters age 11 and 8 who I am proud to say are have a lot of Hockey knowledge and I believe know proper etiquette while at the arena.

We sit in the First Row of the 300s , not the ones on the glass - but first row Balcony Premiere over the Walkway with the concrete wall in Front - The View is Great but for little ones sometimes not the best.

Well Heres the Point - When Staal was awarded the Penalty Shot my 11 year old was standing rooting him on when the gentleman behind barked at her to SIT DOWN. She is very sensitive and this upset her for the rest of the 2nd period well into intermission. I assured her that at that moment Standing was acceptabe and probably the right thing to be doing and not to dwell on it.

What do you all think? By the way I am pretty certain that even her standing wouldnt have obstructed this gentlemans view as the he would have had to look to the left to see the goal and she is on the short side.

YOU STAND!!!..... I can not believe that guy, If he had said that to my daughter I am not sure what I would have said back.

Yelling at a customer is wrong. He should not have yelled. He should have asked nicely, and those he asked nicely should sit.

http://www.rbccenter.com/about/130.asp.html

Standing and Cheering - We love for our fans to cheer. The excitement and enthusiasm is fantastic. Media reports have said that we are one of the loudest buildings in the league. From a customer service standpoint, we do have to maintain some basic protocols, i.e. just as some fans like to stand and cheer, others prefer to sit and cheer. Given that, they are also entitled to enjoy the event from their seats without undo obstruction. To that end, we must also ensure they can enjoy the event as well. Keep in mind that many guests have disabilities and may not be able to stand or get up and down as others are able to do so. Fans are advised that while enjoying the event and rooting for the team, to please be considerate of those around you and sit when others are seated or cheering for a performance.

I agree and if it was me ( Im a big guy) I would have understood a little more.

The item I left out is that all the people in Row A of the upper deck on the glass were Standing , with the walkway in between , we do not have the luxury of asking them to sit down do we , I could still see over them but a child?

I do not support random standing or obstructing someones view and I have two bad knees but there are certain in times in sports when you should be standing to support your team - I thought that was one of them.

It is common practice on a penalty shot or a breakaway to stand. In most cases everyone is standing in front of you so if some dingleberry behind you wants to sit that's their problem. And agreed, don't yell at a kid. Maybe we should have a poll question: Is it good sportsmanship to yell at a child? Yes, No.

In most cases everyone is standing in front of you so if some dingleberry behind you wants to sit that's their problem.

The rules of the arena do not support that view. It's your problem; if they ask you to sit, you sit.

The rules of the arena do not support that view. It's your problem; if they ask you to sit, you sit.

There are rules and there is reality. If everyone is following standard practice and standing in front of you you stand. Would you have sat down at the end of game 7 if someone asked you to?

Trying to get an entire section that is standing in front of you to sit down would be quite a trick. How would that go? Picture a breakaway, the 25 rows in front of you jump up to see the play, YOU: "Um, excuse me would you mind sitting down please? NO RESPONSE YOU: "Now look here young man, it clearly states in section 100 of the official rule book of the RBC center, paragraph 1 subsection 3 that....Oh thank you, much better" (The play is over and everyone sits like they always do).

Get real.

Edit: The one exception would be if you were alone or one of only a few people standing. Then I would agree you should sit down. Basically, go with the flow.

There are rules and there is reality. If everyone is following standard practice and standing in front of you you stand. Would you have sat down at the end of game 7 if someone asked you to?

If someone asked me to sit, I would sit. I do not violate the rules of the arena, nor do I promote anyone else doing so. I believe the way the rules are listed for the RBC is more than adequate.. it encourages civility and respect for other people's right to enjoy the event they paid for.

Trying to get an entire section that is standing in front of you to sit down would be quite a trick. How would that go? Picture a breakaway, the 25 rows in front of you jump up to see the play

Have you been to the RBC? There are very few (if any) sections where two rows would block a sitting person's view, much less 25.

I take it that if someone asked you to sit, you wouldn't?

The rules of the arena is to sit during regular play. Its it normal to stand the whole game, no, people are supposed to sit their butts in their seats. Hence why they have the ushers stopping people from returning to their seats during play. But when a team is given a penalty shot and the WHOLE arena stands, its your choice whether you want to sit or stand. You are not going to get the whole arena to sit down during a penalty shot b/c that's the normal thing to do at that time.

Someone can ask you to sit down, but if the 10 rows in front of you are standing, you sitting is not going to make their view any more clear.

Its very easy to follow:

Acceptable to Stand:

1-celebrate a goal

2-penalty shot

3-goal is being reviewed and crowd screams goal

Not Acceptable to Stand:

1-during regular game play

Regardless of what the rules are that man had no right to yell at a child like that. If he couldn't see he should have asked the parent if they could please have their child sit down. he's lucky he didn't yell at the wrong child because this situation could have ended badly. I usually try to make sure I'm not obstructing someone's view when standing but if everyone's standing and there are a few that decide to remain seated that's there problem.

The guy was probably a Habs fan or just a miserable geiser. There is nothing wrong with standing during a penalty shot. It just lasts only for a few seconds anyway and if your girl wasn't even in his way...

in a situation like a penalty shot - every fan has the right to stand up if they choose to. i agree with those of you that believe that a true fan should be standing up anyways. it was ridiculous for an adult to scold a child like that as well.