The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
acaniac

Fans Changing Colors?

Well the only experience with that is that I can say, being a transplant to DC myself, I could never ever go for the Crapitals over the Hurricanes. It just makes me kind of sick thinking about it. However I'm probably only here for a couple of years and will return to NC. I don't know I guess I could see how'd it be hard dropping a team you grew up with and started pulling for a realitivley new team. However we can only hope their demon spawn of kids become assimilated and pull for the right team.

(of course you know that last sentence was a joke ;) )

I just could never see myself doing that. I grew up in PA, and I would never think of putting a Pens jersey on instead of a Canes jersey if I was at the RBC center. My loyalty to the Canes is wayyyyyy more than to anyone else and I like to show that. Now if I went to a game up there, I might wear Pens gear (if we weren't playing the Canes of course)

Being a "southern - born hockey convert" (even though my first sweater was a B's sweater back when they were actually still wool - a gift from my Bostonian cousin) I say let them cheer for their old team, it'll take many years for that to go away, and it's not such a bad thing... multiple loyalties exist in many college athletic areas. Imagine a professor at NCSU who graduated from, for example say, Clemson... they pull for both teams with minimal conflict (I picked Clemson mainly because it's an Ag school like NCSU and from what I've seen one of the most friendly, good natured rivalries ever ( made easier by the fact that the Clemson fans always expect to lose in B-Ball, and the State fans expect to lose at football)

Being from Buffalo, I was in the camp of rooting for the Canes except when they played the Sabres. In the past I've even worn a Sabres sweater to the game. It's been a long time since I lived in Buffalo, and getting to talk to some of the Canes and coach Laviolette, I gradually switched over to the Canes full time. So sixnitepkg was correct, if you have followed a team for years and put in your heart and soul, it may take awhile before you can let it go. Now I relish beating the Sabres as much as anyone.

I LOVE the intricacies of sports fandom. This is one of them.

Here's how I feel about it. I have a buddy that was born and raised on the other side of the river in Jersey. Big baseball fan. Grew up a HUGE New York Mets fan. Life wound up taking him to the Left Coast to San Diego. He supports the Padres out there, has season tickets, the works.... But when the METS come to town? All San Diego loyalties go out the window and it's "Let's Go Mets" and all that other crap.

If you cheer for a team growing up, you don't just drop them if you move away. You also don't necessarily have to cheer for the local team, though this is tougher to do when you're a fan growing up. I grew up in the Carolinas, huge Heels fan - I live in Alabama, now. I like to see Auburn do well, but if Carolina plays them - like the 2001 Peach Bowl - oh, it's UNC all the way.

I think there's something really cool about being able to put fan loyalties aside enough to support the local product, but to also be able to cheer AGAINST the local guys when your team comes to town. Even if it is transplanted Yankees cheering for Buffalo. That's not just being a good fan of your team, it's being a good fan of the sport.

I in general agree with the article below by Bill Simmons that has some stuff about Loyalties

Simmons (scroll down a ways, its at the bottom)

In general I don't think you get to switch sports teams except for some certain situations, most of which are detailed there.

I just don't get the whole rooting for multiple teams thing (sports bigamy) in professional sports. You pick one and only one. College sports are an exception since those loyalties are picked up by attending schools etc.

I in general agree with the article below by Bill Simmons that has some stuff about Loyalties

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227' target="_blank">Simmons[/post] (scroll down a ways, its at the bottom)

In general I don't think you get to switch sports teams except for some certain situations, most of which are detailed there.

I just don't get the whole rooting for multiple teams thing (sports bigamy) in professional sports. You pick one and only one. College sports are an exception since those loyalties are picked up by attending schools etc.

Best Bill Simmon's article ever!

http://proxy.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/020227' target="_blank">Simmons[/post] (scroll down a ways, its at the bottom)

What about the folks who wear Whaler jerseys? What's the psychology there?

Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.

Your team moves to another city. All bets are off when that happens. In fact, if you decided to turn off that sport entirely, nobody would blame you.

I've always felt that if you're going to wear the Whalers' stuff you should have been a fan when the Canes were the Whalers, not only once they moved to Raleigh, err Greensboro. That is unless you weren't previously a hockey fan, then I think its ok to borrow from the Canes past.

But to wear a Whalers sweater to every Canes home game, seems to suggest a certain "living in the past" attitude. I'm thinking Glen Wesley is the only player on the team to ever wear a Whalers sweater.

I try to catch the Rangers every time they come to Raleigh; I'm cheering for the Rangers, my wife for the Hurricanes. I was born and raised in New York, and the Rangers will always be my team. But I consider myself a Hurricanes fan, too. So I cheer for the Canes unless they're playing the Rangers.

Anything not entitled the http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040720' target="_blank">Vengeance Scale[/post] is not the best Simmons article ever.

Besides, there's a loophole in the Sports guy's fan rules column. Here's an example of a quandary of a sports fan like myself. I grew up a Miami Dolphins fan. Mid-90's, an expansion team comes to Carolina. Am I just supposed to drop all loyalty to Miami just because a team comes to the area? Am I not supposed to cheer the new local team because of pre-existing loyalties? It's a bunch of crap either way.

I cheer Carolina and Miami equally - I don't care. It's not like I moved to the team, they suddenly moved to me.

Anything not entitled the http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040720' target="_blank">Vengeance Scale[/post] is not the best Simmons article ever.

Besides, there's a loophole in the Sports guy's fan rules column. Here's an example of a quandary of a sports fan like myself. I grew up a Miami Dolphins fan. Mid-90's, an expansion team comes to Carolina. Am I just supposed to drop all loyalty to Miami just because a team comes to the area? Am I not supposed to cheer the new local team because of pre-existing loyalties? It's a bunch of crap either way.

I cheer Carolina and Miami equally - I don't care. It's not like I moved to the team, they suddenly moved to me.

Part of the article is that no "real" fan should have two favorite teams in any given sport, you must choose. So yes in your case when given a reason to switch, the arrival of the Panthers, you had a choice Panthers or Dolphins. As it says at the end of the column a sports team is like a wife or husband, you get one, or else you are a "sports bigamist." And end the end you probably have chosen one because when they play eachother you are going to root for one or the other.

My husband wears his Brind'amour Flyers jersey once in a while. He wore it on Brind'amour night and wears it to the Flyers games. He cheers on the Canes. For him, it's not cheering on the Flyers as much as it is paying homage to his hometown (he moved to NC right around the same time we did). Same thing for me - I wear a Whalers jersey once in a while. I grew up in CT and thought it was great that I happened to move to the same place the Whalers moved to. And if you think that's wrong, I hope you sit and scowl when they play Brass Bonanza ;)

That is not totally true about all bets being off. I grew up south of Cleveland when the Browns left and became the Baltimore Modell's. The people who went with Baltimore...like Ozzie Newsome...are basically dead to a lot of people and are not mentioned when talking about some of the greatest Browns players. I personally still like the guy, in his heart of hearts he still bleeds Orange and Brown: guaranteed. Also rooting for a team in their division was a big no no. I know a lot of people who started rooting for the Steelers that still will not get invited to Sunday parties even though they have come back to the Brown and Orange.

Such a touchy situation...I could definitely go on...but this the Hurricanes message boards.

People who root for the "Home" teams until their true favorite team comes to town are complete frauds. It does NOT matter where you grew up...if you want to root for the Canes then do it. There is no going back and forth. I see people who wear another teams jersey and a Canes jersey joined in the middle. What a complete joke and waste of money. The only way that is acceptable is half Whalers and half Canes, plus you have to have rooted for the Whalers.

Have a nice day. :)

That is not totally true about all bets being off. I grew up south of Cleveland when the Browns left and became the Baltimore Modell's. The people who went with Baltimore...like Ozzie Newsome...are basically dead to a lot of people and are not mentioned when talking about some of the greatest Browns players. I personally still like the guy, in his heart of hearts he still bleeds Orange and Brown: guaranteed. Also rooting for a team in their division was a big no no. I know a lot of people who started rooting for the Steelers that still will not get invited to Sunday parties even though they have come back to the Brown and Orange.

Such a touchy situation...I could definitely go on...but this the Hurricanes message boards.

People who root for the "Home" teams until their true favorite team comes to town are complete frauds. It does NOT matter where you grew up...if you want to root for the Canes then do it. There is no going back and forth. I see people who wear another teams jersey and a Canes jersey joined in the middle. What a complete joke and waste of money. The only way that is acceptable is half Whalers and half Canes, plus you have to have rooted for the Whalers.

Geez, I feel for you but I was just quoting the Simmons article.

Geez, I feel for you but I was just quoting the Simmons article.