The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Michael-Miller

New Hockeytown, USA (Bye, Bye, Detroit)

I read that and it make me want to hurl, like Buffalo fans need anything else to over-inflate their ego.

So let me just get it straight... Carolina is 3rd in his power rankings but he's not sure why we even have a team in the maket? Mybe that's just for the long term? Not like it really matters.

WE know why there is a team here. You would think after 10 seasons and a Stanley Cup they would catch on too.

No such luck

Yeah, I read that one earlier. Not that I disagree with their comments at the end. Carolina's always going to be about college sports, and unfortunately, NASCAR.

Doesn't mean that hockey can't last long-term here, but it won't do as well as some other states.

Sounds like the author's idiot filter got clogged up when he was finishing the article. I love college sports (GO SOONERS!), NASCAR, AND NHL.. nothing says a person has to have only 1 sports interest.

Ok ok I've got the solution, lets just go back to having 6 teams in the NHL and have them all in the Northeast and Canada. Then maybe just maybe, people will be happy that there is no longer Ice hockey in the south and they can go back to watching the same 6 teams every game, every night. And then the NHL can become even more irrelevant in the United States than it already is.

I just don't understand how people who love this game and want it to become more main stream and bring it out of being a niche sport are so passionate about not allowing markets to share it and keep it for themselves.

Lets just stop using ice, give them all roller blades and then maybe people can get around the whole ice part because Ice evidently means North for some reason and there is no way that there is or should be Ice in the south. But lets put a franchise in Las Vegas for Godsakes

Once you get around the fact that Ice is just a medium for you to haul *edit* and hit people and create action then people will get it.

Do they really have nothing else to talk about?

I agree with Minny being the new hockey town. Detroit had a good run at it, but with its economy in shambles thanks to outsourcing and poor management among the car companies, and an unwillingness of the blue collar workers from the thousands of layoffs over the past decade and a half to move on and establish new careers. So yeah there will be empty seats, just like there was on opening night.

Here in Carolina, it's not all perfect here, our fans are very loyal and some of the best in the league, and our attendance has gone up steadily, we just need to continue on getting more of them. I think his statements about Carolina were very unjust though, like he was stuck in 2000 or something. Personally I think we are in the 'on the way' category. have a problem with it, write him back, as I am once I figure out what I am going to say...

Also looking at his background, he was a sports writer for San Jose for 17 years, so there is some personal bias as well as some lack of east coast exposure.

So, Yahoo! has crowned a new Hockeytown. Detroit no longer is it.

It was too much to hope for that Carolina would get it. But, did they really deserve the comment at the end of the article?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ag77Nt05Zn5kIhin_rqRdfN7vLYF?slug=rm-saintpaul110107&prov=yhoo&type=lgns' target="_blank">http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=Ag77...o&type=lgns[/post]

You can thank ESPN for the way Carolina is percieved to a certain degree. They made such hay out of the two years we spent in Greensboro and continually refered to us as the team that used to be the Hartford Whalers. The boys in Bristol for years were bitter that the team left and never missed a chance to take a shot at the team, the fans and the area in general. Most of the reporters and sports fans in areas that doesn't see us very often still associate us and Greensboro.

I wouldn't take what he has to say to seriously. Sounds to me like he is another "anything southern hater". He had nothing good to say about any of the Southeast teams. Even Tampa Bay, who for the past 3 to 4 years has been among the top attendance (beating most of the Canadian teams). What a load of CRAP.

I plan on writing this idiot and telling him what I think about his opinion.

I like how he rated the LAST THREE Stanley Cup winners.

Anaheim - Jury is still out

Tampa Bay - Nice try, but this doesn't really work

Carolina - Why, exactly?

I bet he is Yahoo's main guy covering the "Professional Rock-Paper-Scissors" Tournament.

OH wait, that was recently shown on ESPN-2. :lol:

Well, I wrote the "Idiot". This is what I told him....

No question, just a comment on your "New Hockey Town USA" article.

You can stop hating the south. The civil war has been over for quite some time. Your opinion about the hockey teams in the south could not be further from reality.

Why hockey in Carolina you ask. Because we love it. Some of the best dam hockey fans are here in Raleigh. Our attendance at the RBC Center is better that some of the teams that you say are "Pretty darn good, in their own way" or "Will always have our respect". Also you categorized Tampa Bay as "Nice try, but this doesn't really work". Maybe you should look at the attendance record and the facts before posting your opinion. Tampa is one of the recent leaders in attendance and stomps on your Minnesota Wild theory of Hockey Town bull crap. Here is a link to "ESPN NHL Attendance" if you need to see it in black and white....http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

Philly should be called Hockey Town in my opinion not only because they are leading in attendance but because they had sellouts last year when they were ranked last in the NHL and had the worst season. That my friend is "Hockey Town" in my opinion. I'm really tired of northern people like yourself talking crap, trash and down about Southeast teams. You should really get over the Civil War era and move on. We are really tired of it.

Yes some of us love NASCAR and College sports (hate NASCAR personally). If you really want to know what hockey is like here in Raleigh, I challenge you to come to a game at the RBC Center. It wouldn't be complete unless you tailgate with us and take in the atmosphere. You wouldn't be asking "Why Hockey in Carolina" any more.

Well, I wrote the "Idiot". This is what I told him....

No question, just a comment on your "New Hockey Town USA" article.

You can stop hating the south. The civil war has been over for quite some time. Your opinion about the hockey teams in the south could not be further from reality.

Why hockey in Carolina you ask. Because we love it. Some of the best dam hockey fans are here in Raleigh. Our attendance at the RBC Center is better that some of the teams that you say are "Pretty darn good, in their own way" or "Will always have our respect". Also you categorized Tampa Bay as "Nice try, but this doesn't really work". Maybe you should look at the attendance record and the facts before posting your opinion. Tampa is one of the recent leaders in attendance and stomps on your Minnesota Wild theory of Hockey Town bull crap. Here is a link to "ESPN NHL Attendance" if you need to see it in black and white....http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance?year=2007

Philly should be called Hockey Town in my opinion not only because they are leading in attendance but because they had sellouts last year when they were ranked last in the NHL and had the worst season. That my friend is "Hockey Town" in my opinion. I'm really tired of northern people like yourself talking crap, trash and down about Southeast teams. You should really get over the Civil War era and move on. We are really tired of it.

Yes some of us love NASCAR and College sports (hate NASCAR personally). If you really want to know what hockey is like here in Raleigh, I challenge you to come to a game at the RBC Center. It wouldn't be complete unless you tailgate with us and take in the atmosphere. You wouldn't be asking "Why Hockey in Carolina" any more.

Nice... although I think the Civil war was a tad too much. But yeah, expand NHL so more people are exposed to it, hence creating more of a fan base not just for the team but for hockey in general. If he responds, post it so I can see it. :)

The problem with using Tampa Bay as an attendance marker is flawed for a couple reasons:

1. They give away free tickets. A LOT of free tickets. And even the tickets that aren't free are extremely cheaper than tickets in Minnesota.

2. Even if the arena is half full, they add the free tickets to the attendance records.