The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
diamonddan

Divers??

The worst thing of all is..... it worked. The Panthers Mitching and Boaning to the press got them a couple of power play opportunities. Now, everyone will be doing it.

I do like the idea of the diving judges scorecards. I'd also like to see everyone along the glass wearing diving masks/goggles, maybe even snorkles. Everytime a Panther looks through the glass, they will see "divers'

It is a shame to see the refs buy into the press.

The bigger shame is seeing all these Caniacs buy into the press: Forslund and Tracy. (And please note, colesylarose, I only chose your quote because it is representative of so many others on this topic -- nothing personal.)

The only thing I found worse about the Florida game than our boys' half-a$$ed performance (that's being kind) is John and Tripp's partisan bickering at the end of the telecast. Yes, bad calls were made. So what? Stupid penalties were also taken -- Wesley's slash is a case in point. If you're going to hack a guy on a breakaway when your team is already down a man, at least trip him so he gets the penalty shot, where you have a better chance at saving a goal than you do in a protracted 5-on-3. It was just boneheaded, plain and simple, and I'm confident Wesley's already heard about it from Laviolette.

Champions look at themselves, not at the refs, not the opposition, and CERTAINLY not at the newspaper. The bottom line truth is that we played hockey for about 10 minutes in Florida. The rest of the time we might as well have been curling.

The bigger shame is seeing all these Caniacs buy into the press: Forslund and Tracy. (And please note, colesylarose, I only chose your quote because it is representative of so many others on this topic -- nothing personal.)

The only thing I found worse about the Florida game than our boys' half-a$$ed performance (that's being kind) is John and Tripp's partisan bickering at the end of the telecast. Yes, bad calls were made. So what? Stupid penalties were also taken -- Wesley's slash is a case in point. If you're going to hack a guy on a breakaway when your team is already down a man, at least trip him so he gets the penalty shot, where you have a better chance at saving a goal than you do in a protracted 5-on-3. It was just boneheaded, plain and simple, and I'm confident Wesley's already heard about it from Laviolette.

Champions look at themselves, not at the refs, not the opposition, and CERTAINLY not at the newspaper. The bottom line truth is that we played hockey for about 10 minutes in Florida. The rest of the time we might as well have been curling.

9 times out of 10 John and Tripper give the refs the benefit of the doubt, no matter which way a call is made. There were some blatant exceptions last night and they pointed them out. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes. There have been tons of times where they point out when the Canes get lucky with some calls.

edit - but you're right, we need to focus on the things we CAN control on the ice... we didn't deserve to win the game

Referee Brad Watson made both of the diving calls

I would hope the NHL was burning his cell phone immediatley following last night's game.

"Mr. Watson, you're needed in Toronto... There will be a private jet waiting for you at the airport... We need to talk... We need to get you some corrective lenses..." :)

Seriously, the LaRose call, what I saw on replay, perhaps he did a little extra. But Williams, no way, no how. He was in full stride joining a break-away when he was tripped up. You're goning to fall.

Did these calls affect the outcome of the game? We can't honestly say they did but we can say it prevented two Carolina power plays that may could have broken Florida down.

The calls really can't be used as an excuse for the lack of good play the third period. It's over and done with, the Hurricanes will just have to come out Saturday night and prove that they're the better team.

Dwight

The Canes want the calls reviewed:

Canes ask NHL to review diving calls

No shock here that the Hurricanes requested the NHL to review the two diving calls called against Carolina Wednesday night. Chad LaRose, who was whistled for the first call, said today it wasn't worth wasting any more time worrying about the calls. Yet it was clear the Panthers' frequent complaints about the Hurricanes' alleged diving continued to rankle a bit.

Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford was perhaps the bluntest this afternoon.

"Usually what happens when a team's whining about something, they aren't very comfortable with their own team. It may work for a game or so, but in the long run, it doesn't work," he said. "We just have to go back to work and play our game and forget about the foolishness that they're trying to put on."

Now he didn't name names, but anyone out there having a problem figuring out the team to which he was referring?

Hmmmm... and they play again Saturday night... anyone ever heard the saying "Payback is a Medi-vac?"

Geez, and I can't even go to this game. All this drama should keep the crowd lively, LOL.

Hmmmm... and they play again Saturday night... anyone ever heard the saying "Payback is a Medi-vac?"

Geez, and I can't even go to this game. All this drama should keep the crowd lively, LOL.

The League is checking the game tape.

From the N&O

Campbell discounted the effects that any media accounts of the Panthers' complaints about the Hurricanes could have had on Wednesday night's officials or their likelihood of them calling a diving penalty against Carolina.

"Our officials know they don't base their prescouting on the newspapers or TV reports," said Campbell, who said the league was reviewing Wednesday's calls at Rutherford's request.

Though the Hurricanes maintained Thursday that they had put Wednesday's calls and loss behind them, it was clear they had not forgotten the Panthers' criticisms.

"We're not a group that dives," defenseman Bret Hedican said. "We're a group that forces teams to play at a higher level and any time you force an opponent to play at a higher level and they can't, what are they gonna do? They're gonna clutch and grab, they're gonna hold, because that's all they can do."

Rutherford was even blunter about the Panthers' complaints.

"Usually what happens when a team's whining about something, they aren't very comfortable with their own team. It may work for a game or so, but in the long run, it doesn't work," Rutherford said. "So we just have to go back to work and play our game and forget about the foolishness that they're trying to put on."

Not only is this ENTIRE situation out of hand, it's a complete joke now.

They have people that blog on the Panther's site and here is the latest by one Cliff Peeke:

11.01.2007 10:07 A.M. :::: Carolina Dive Team Exposed

Now I am curious what the League will officially come up with in their finding. IF they publicize it that is. Other than Watson throwing players reputations on the line, the next diving call could cost Willie or Rosie $1000 this season, and the next after that even more because of the one game suspension.

*looking for some popcorn*

The two comments by Hedican and JR at the end of today's article had me laughing hysterically at how much of a joke hockey is in the Florida Panther area. It's laughable to hear a team like that mentioned in the same breath when talking about which markets do and do not deserve to have a hockey team. The people in the press who say that can not have been around here during the Cup year.

Now I am curious what the League will officially come up with in their finding. IF they publicize it that is. Other than Watson throwing players reputations on the line, the next diving call could cost Willie or Rosie $1000 this season, and the next after that even more because of the one game suspension.

That's the only part that angers me about this. Yeah we lost two points with that game but so what, its not like Florida will be a force to reckon with. Im sure Lavi and JR are more concerned with the fines that Whaler mentioned and potential suspensions in the future.

Pretty sad state of affairs when a team resorts to this kind of tactic, rather than giving their players any credit on the ice to settle a score. I'd be pretty embarassed if I was a Panther's player and angry that my own organization had no faith in the team to play hockey.

That's the only part that angers me about this. Yeah we lost two points with that game but so what, its not like Florida will be a force to reckon with. Im sure Lavi and JR are more concerned with the fines that Whaler mentioned and potential suspensions in the future.

Pretty sad state of affairs when a team resorts to this kind of tactic, rather than giving their players any credit on the ice to settle a score. I'd be pretty embarassed if I was a Panther's player and angry that my own organization had no faith in the team to play hockey.

Did Cole get called for a dive a few years ago and the League actually did appologize to him for the mistake? It may not have been Cole, but I recall that happening to one of our guys.

Here's a good remedy. Make the referee appologize to Willams and LaRose personally.

Florida fans and media's choice to respond to our historical thrashings of them and skating circles around them by fabricating this issue smacks of a bit of paranoia. The Paranoid Panthers.

Did Cole get called for a dive a few years ago and the League actually did appologize to him for the mistake? It may not have been Cole, but I recall that happening to one of our guys.

Difference between that and now....is honestly Cole dived on that play. He got hooked and then performed a triple axel into a 360 flip.... Not really sure why the league apologized.