The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
mvp-1

Grahame tonight

It was just a mildly suprising spot on the schedule for Graham to start. Still, no controversy unless Graham shows up between the pipes to start tomorrow's game. If that happens then something is up.

Apparently Lavi told those at the STH practice that Wardo will get the nod tomorrow. :)

i really would not have been surprised either way. Grahame is hot, so he could have been a good candidate to be ridden (please dont take out of context haha). On the other hand, Ward somehow had 2 bad games in a row, so he needs another chance to redeem himself and get back out there. Either way, both are solid between the pipes. Maybe no Leclaire, Labarberra, Osgood, or Lundqvist at this point, but both are solid.

It was hillarious to hear the Flordia commentators last night several times bring up the fact that Johnny was playing instead of Cam. It blew their mind that we used our back-up goalie to try and beat them instead of our "star goalie". They said several times "oh it must be because he is a bigger goalie at 6' 3" and 220lbs and Lavi needed a bigger goalie to cover the net better". If this was the case we would never play Ward with his size, they just were at a loss for words to see the back-up beating their #1 goalie. Johnny did a great job for us, and it was nice to see him staying put and not all over the place out of the net like he usually does.

It was hillarious to hear the Flordia commentators last night several times bring up the fact that Johnny was playing instead of Cam. It blew their mind that we used our back-up goalie to try and beat them instead of our "star goalie". They said several times "oh it must be because he is a bigger goalie at 6' 3" and 220lbs and Lavi needed a bigger goalie to cover the net better". If this was the case we would never play Ward with his size, they just were at a loss for words to see the back-up beating their #1 goalie. Johnny did a great job for us, and it was nice to see him staying put and not all over the place out of the net like he usually does.
While I was a little surprised to see Johnny get the nod in our net, I was equally surprised to see Vokoun start since he'd played the night before in Buffalo. Showed a little lack of confidence in their second guy, no? Did the Florida announcers have anything to say about that?

While I was a little surprised to see Johnny get the nod in our net, I was equally surprised to see Vokoun start since he'd played the night before in Buffalo. Showed a little lack of confidence in their second guy, no? Did the Florida announcers have anything to say about that?

I was thinking the same thing at the game. But also notice at the end of the game....they didnt pull Vokun to try and get a 3rd goal, like most teams may have. They didn't feel confident enough in keeping us from getting an EN goal, so they left him in. I find that interesting, but comforting lol

I was thinking the same thing at the game. But also notice at the end of the game....they didnt pull Vokun to try and get a 3rd goal, like most teams may have. They didn't feel confident enough in keeping us from getting an EN goal, so they left him in. I find that interesting, but comforting lol

Actually, they did pull him, but then they took a penalty.

I know they pulled him, because if we had scored, my predicition would have been correct. <_<

Actually, they did pull him, but then they took a penalty.

I know they pulled him, because if we had scored, my predicition would have been correct. <_<

oh haha, guess I was focused too much on the play right in front of me (them getting the penalty basically) to notice he wasn't in the net lol. thanks for the correction

One more thing to remember...

Super Cam that was in net for the Stanley Cup run two years ago...? He only played 28 games in the regular season that year. A little extra rest from time to time thru this season isn't a bad thing, particularly if Johnny can get the job done like last night.

One more thing to remember...

Super Cam that was in net for the Stanley Cup run two years ago...? He only played http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=55426' target="_blank">28 games[/post] in the regular season that year. A little extra rest from time to time thru this season isn't a bad thing, particularly if Johnny can get the job done like last night.

good point. very good point. but rest has almost as much of an effect on a goalie as actually playing does. ya have to balance it, really

Yes they actually interviewed the goalie coach and he said since Vokoun was playing so hot they decided to keep him in and since he already played so well against the Canes earlier in the week. They kept talking about the statement they would make to the NHL and our division about how powerful they had become if they could beat Carolina twice, having beaten Buffalo and win three games in a row too. Too bad we stopped that fantasy from coming true.

I'm not the least bit surprised Vokoun played. He's used to playing lots of games and Florida has a set up similar to Vancouver and New Jersey had last year. A star starting goalie and an average backup who's ok to play maybe 10 games a year or something like that but not much more. Craig Anderson is definetely not the guy you want in nets when you're playing what is probably the most talented offensive team in the league. He'll get his starts against less dangerous teams.

Cam and Grahame are doing a great job!

Leighton seems like a great goalie, but why would we trade Grahame and take a chance on Leighton when we are doing so well this season so far! Give Leighton a full season and see how he does before any trading, not that I think we need to get rid of Grahame at all. He's a good back up.