The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
WCABBall

NHL Network

Does anyone have any info. on the NHL Network coming to Time Warner. I read something about it coming to the US on Fox sports.

I could not find a thing on the TWC web page.

I know the NHL netwok has been approved but its up to the local cable companies to pick it up. I emailed Mike Sundheim earlier today to find out if it will be available to us soon on either cable or DirectTV. I'll post his answer when it comes in.

Does anyone have any info. on the NHL Network coming to Time Warner. I read something about it coming to the US on Fox sports.

I could not find a thing on the TWC web page.

I know the NHL netwok has been approved but its up to the local cable companies to pick it up. I emailed Mike Sundheim earlier today to find out if it will be available to us soon on either cable or DirectTV. I'll post his answer when it comes in.

per lord stanley's blog from the n&o

"NHL Network coming to U.S.

The NHL announced today that it has reached a deal with, among others, Time Warner Cable, Dish Network and DirecTV to carry the NHL Network in the United States. (It has been available in Canada since 2001.)

There's no timetable in the NHL release, but given past history I'd guess that it will end up on the satellite providers in reasonably short order. With Time Warner, on the other hand, you never know, given the delay in adding sports channels like ESPNU and MASN (still waiting on the latter, one baseball season later). I've queried them for an answer...we'll see.

UPDATE: A Time Warner spokesperson said the NHL Network would be available on Jan. 1"

If you love hockey, you'll love the nHL network. If you just like the canes, than probably won't be of much benefit to you. I'm a hardcore nHL fan and its my fav channel.

So from what I've seen, if we have Time Warner Digital Cable then we can see the NHL Network? Does it cost any extra?

My guess is if its like the NFL network then currently you will have to special order the channel. Time warner still doesn't have nfl network in its digital package( not that I know of anyways...) so I would think it might be a while before NHL network will. But, in the same breath, the NHL might not hold out like the NFL has with its ridiculous demands in order to get a broader audience (Its not getting much bigger staying on verses imo).

I think that if it is offered in the basic digital and/or sport packages it will do nothing but help the exposure of the nhl (provided the cost - profit from advertisements balances or at least is put at a minimum), plus us fans get the bonus of an extra 50+ games that we might not otherwise see unless we shell out for center ice.

If anyone knows the scoop on cost... definitely pass it on ;)

NHL network is up and running for all Direct TV customers!

Channel 215 in HD if you suscribe to HD programming

Also on channel 215 for SD programmimg if you only have SD.

Check it out....

Check it out....

Check it out....

Wow, I have Direct TV here in Tampa and didn't realize I had it. Thanks!

Check it out....

Wow, I have Direct TV here in Tampa and didn't realize I had it. Thanks!

Is January 1 still a true date for Time Warner in Raleigh to get it? I haven't seen any information on that anywhere outside these boards.

If TMC still gets it January 1, then is it still something you'd have to buy or a buy in a package?

I've had the chance to view NHL Network for a month (free preview) and I was not disappointed one bit. I was actually surprised they carried a few of the first Canes games. The classic games from the past Stanley Cup playoffs was fun to watch too. I didn't like how long NHL on the Fly was though, lol.

Unfortunately, since I've had Direct TV for a few years, my "Choice" programming package has been grandfathered in. That means if I want NHL Network, I have to upgrade to the current package for ~$7/month. Is it worth it?

Unfortunately, since I've had Direct TV for a few years, my "Choice" programming package has been grandfathered in. That means if I want NHL Network, I have to upgrade to the current package for ~$7/month. Is it worth it?

Depends on how much hockey you follow. If you mostly just follow the Canes, than probably not. If you follow the rest of the league, there is nothing better than the coverage from "on the fly". Its a whole program dedicated to reviewing all the highlights for every game played in the NHL, every night. They add post game press conference and locker room interview coverage also. Not even ESPN, when they actually covered the NHL has this kind of in depth coverage.

"On the Fly" and the games they do broadcast are worth the $7 per month to me, but then add in the classic series and other specialty programming and it seems like a pretty good deal.

Depends on how much hockey you follow. If you mostly just follow the Canes, than probably not. If you follow the rest of the league, there is nothing better than the coverage from "on the fly". Its a whole program dedicated to reviewing all the highlights for every game played in the NHL, every night. They add post game press conference and locker room interview coverage also. Not even ESPN, when they actually covered the NHL has this kind of in depth coverage.

"On the Fly" and the games they do broadcast are worth the $7 per month to me, but then add in the classic series and other specialty programming and it seems like a pretty good deal.

Only diehard fans would pay $7 for the network. It doesn't focus on current stuff as much like the NFL network, they got NHL on the Fly, thats pretty much it. But they do show 1 live game per week, one I think the fans vote for on Sunday.

As I Canadian, i do get annoyed by them pretty much showing lots of Canadian hockey. Thats which highlights usually get shown first, cause the NHL network is run by TSN.

In terms of historical stuff they do it like no other, no other major sports network would have classic series. NFL Network I know copied the Top 10 show.

On the fly is also really good for in-depth highlights, and heck just highlights and updates throughout the night. I thought Dave Reid did an excellent job with last nights game against the caps. Describing stillman as the "glue guy".