The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac59

Whitney is a HOOT!!!

This is my first post to the board and I thought, what a great username! Anyway, my family and I have been watching the pregame interview for the past several years. My two boys usually ask "where's Ray" during every interview. It's become sort of like a "where's Waldo". The best thing about both Ray and his wife is that they seem not to take things too seriously. Just enjoying the ride.

welcome to the boards! I agree with you about Ray and Bridget. That goes a long ways in keeping a marriage strong as well.

Ray is the locker room clown on the Canes.. seems like he is always trying to make people laugh. I think he's very good for the chemistry on the team, so his re-signing was about more than his on-ice skills. He likes to keep it loose and the interview "skate-by" is one of the ways he does that. I get a kick out of it too.

I also remember an interview last year when Tripp asked Whitney to say something about their captain and what he brings to this team and Whitney with a serious face said something to the effect of "well since 3/4's of what you talk about is how great Brindy is, can I talk about someone else tonight?" and you could have heard a pin drop and then Whitney let out a grin and then said he was kidding and said some very nice things about Brindy being the greatest captain he had been with.

I also remember an interview last year when Tripp asked Whitney to say something about their captain and what he brings to this team and Whitney with a serious face said something to the effect of "well since 3/4's of what you talk about is how great Brindy is, can I talk about someone else tonight?" and you could have heard a pin drop and then Whitney let out a grin and then said he was kidding and said some very nice things about Brindy being the greatest captain he had been with.

I remember that interview. It was so funny! I just love Ray's humor!

I could've sworn some people at GaleForce put together a "Where's Whitney" video last year. The interview thing he does is definitely a superstition first, but it is always hilarious.

QUOTE(natnat919 @ Oct 21 2007, 03:56 PM)

And i think by far his "Ask the Canes" replies are the funniest.

I think Whitney is the funniest of the players 'Ask the Canes' but Stillman's wife is by far the most hillarious of the 'Ask the Canes Wives' and all she does is tell true stories about being married to Stillman. :lol:

I don't know, Erik Cole has also had his fair share of comedic answers to Ask the Canes. I still cannot help but laugh every time I think about when they asked the Canes who their favorite heroes in their lives were. And after a string of Canes answering "my parents" and "my youth hockey coach," Cole says in a manner of perfect comedic delivery "Oh, Definitely Batman." :lol:

I don't know, Erik Cole has also had his fair share of comedic answers to Ask the Canes. I still cannot help but laugh every time I think about when they asked the Canes who their favorite heroes in their lives were. And after a string of Canes answering "my parents" and "my youth hockey coach," Cole says in a manner of perfect comedic delivery "Oh, Definitely Batman." :lol:

That one was hilarious. My favorite would have to be when they asked the 'Canes to do their best impression of Laviolette.. there was comedy gold throughout the line up that night... so much so that the guys were even laughing on the bench.

I have to say, I was almost a little disappointed that Ray was the one interviewed last night as I had been thinking about his "drive-bys" most of the afternoon and was looking forward to seeing what he would do. BTW, can anyone tell me where the "sneaky big" comment came from? I noticed Tripp using it with Ray last week, and again last night.

During the game vs. the Sabres Wednesday night they had an "Ask the Canes" segment. The question was "What scares you the most?" Whitney's reply - "When Chad LaRose tries to come in the shower with me." I died laughing at that one. One other player said his mom, but I can't remember who that was.

I always look forward to Ray's antics during the on ice interviews. I think the best one was during the Stanley Cup season. He had his leg up on the board and he would slowly lean back and stretch and then he would come up really slow, looking right at the camera the whole time.

:lol: Last night I was disappointed that Whitney was the one that was interviewed by Tripp (but only because I wanted to see him skate by). However he did make a very funny remark at the end of the interview when the topic of goalies came up and Whitney says to Tripp something to the effect of "well you know about being a goalie, of course you were a very small goalie" and then had a smirk and then Tripp said to him "well your dad was a goalie" and Whitney says "well he isn't much of a goalie" with a smirk and Tripp's face was red and ended the interview with a smirk, trying not to laugh. :P I thought one of the other guys might skate by slow but they didn't.

During the game vs. the Sabres Wednesday night they had an "Ask the Canes" segment. The question was "What scares you the most?" Whitney's reply - "When Chad LaRose tries to come in the shower with me." I died laughing at that one. One other player said his mom, but I can't remember who that was.

:lol::lol::lol:

That is hilarious. I'm gonna have to go listen to that one. I love the Ask the Canes.

Whitney came through the night of the Habs game on FSN-S with his famous skate by and facial expressions behind Hedican. The only thing fun about that night (well Staal's penalty shot was a lot of fun too!).

It was funny to see them play last years 'Lets Ask the Canes' about scary movies on the jumbotron. It amazes me to hear a lot of the players don't like scary movies and Commodore appeared to have a fear or phobia of scary movies in a theater, how funny & ironic coming from him. Whitney's was 'Blair Witch Project'-lol.

About the Yzerman answers....yes to all of the above comments about them being friends and all, BUT if you notice on the video, Ray's wife is wearing the EXACT same outfit everytime....it's almost like she said Steve Yzerman for one answer and they just used that no matter what the question.

About the Yzerman answers....yes to all of the above comments about them being friends and all, BUT if you notice on the video, Ray's wife is wearing the EXACT same outfit everytime....it's almost like she said Steve Yzerman for one answer and they just used that no matter what the question.

They do so many Ask the Canes segments at once so they don't have to keep reshooting. Check out the ones posted on the website. All guys are wearing the same clothes in every segment. Cole and Grahame are the 2 I noticed right away. Its just easier to tape a bunch at a time then do a taping a week.

The Whitney's and Yzerman's are very close. I heard that Yzerman's wife, always talks about Whitney and so forth. It must be an inside joke with these 4.

TO ANYONE WATCHING THE CANES ON FSN, WED AGAINST BUFFALO:

did you see the interview w/ ray and tripp? it was a hoot.... at the very beginning, the smile ray had was soooo cheesy!!!

I didn't get to see it, is there anyway I can see the interveiw?? Or does anyone have a link to it??

The only thing good about last night was when I got home from the game I had DVR'd the game and watched Tripp interviewing Cole (it was the only thing I could stomach to watch) and yes----there was Whitney, the most playful I had seen him this year! He was such a distraction to Tripp that Tripp said a quick "Hi Ray" right in the middle of his sentence to speaking to Cole. Cole had a hard time keeping a straight face and had a smirky smile when he spotted Whitney. It's a shame it was last nights game that he was more playful.

Thank the Hockey Gods that Whitney made me smile about something last night.

They do so many Ask the Canes segments at once so they don't have to keep reshooting. Check out the ones posted on the website. All guys are wearing the same clothes in every segment. Cole and Grahame are the 2 I noticed right away. Its just easier to tape a bunch at a time then do a taping a week.

The Whitney's and Yzerman's are very close. I heard that Yzerman's wife, always talks about Whitney and so forth. It must be an inside joke with these 4.

Yep you can't miss that hat Cole is wearing in each video. lol

Thank the Hockey Gods that Whitney made me smile about something last night.

You are right, that was about the only thing to smile about. Well, that and Whitney's goal! I always DVR the start of the games so I won't miss any of Ray's "pop ups" That face he make last night with his cheeks blowed out and eyes popped almost had me rolling in the floor laughing!!

You are right, that was about the only thing to smile about. Well, that and Whitney's goal! I always DVR the start of the games so I won't miss any of Ray's "pop ups" That face he make last night with his cheeks blowed out and eyes popped almost had me rolling in the floor laughing!!

I'd like to cast a vote for Stiller's answer to an old "Ask the Canes", which was "Who's your favorite of the seven dwarfs?"...anybody else remember what he said?!?!

Red

Mrs. G105 and I have seats about five rows being the Canes' bench and get a great, in person view of Rays drive-by during the interviews. Last week, before the Tampa game, I had gone to get a beer and missed the interview. Mrs G told me Tripp had interviewed Staal and Ray showed up and was poking Eric in the back with his stick. Then Eric reached behind him and tapped Ray on the top of his helmet with HIS stick. All this while the interview was going on, unless the camera was off. We can't tell when the camera's on. Anybody see that episode of the "Where's Ray Show?"

I'd like to cast a vote for Stiller's answer to an old "Ask the Canes", which was "Who's your favorite of the seven dwarfs?"...anybody else remember what he said?!?!

Red

I can't remember but you can see it again in the multimedia section under ask the canes.

Mrs. G105 and I have seats about five rows being the Canes' bench and get a great, in person view of Rays drive-by during the interviews. Last week, before the Tampa game, I had gone to get a beer and missed the interview. Mrs G told me Tripp had interviewed Staal and Ray showed up and was poking Eric in the back with his stick. Then Eric reached behind him and tapped Ray on the top of his helmet with HIS stick. All this while the interview was going on, unless the camera was off. We can't tell when the camera's on. Anybody see that episode of the "Where's Ray Show?"

I thought I had DVR'd that one, but I was mistaken, but yes, I did see it. I wasn't sure at the time that it was intentional (as I wasn't aware of what Ray had been doing), but you can definitely see the handle of Staal's stick go over and give Ray a quick tap on the helmet and there was a slight grin on Staal's face when it connected.

Since Ray is the superstitious type, I'll play along and say Tripp shouldn't address Ray when he's doing his drive bys.. we lost that game.. he needs to just let Ray do his thing. ;)